League 1 - Cheltenham Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we ready for our first win of the season?

C-Town Win
13%
I-Town Win
81%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 16

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Cheltenham Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:58 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:53 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:36 pm
Two people voting cheltenham…… W T A F? :shock:
I was one of them - not so stupid now, am I?
No one voiced, or indeed could say the word "stupid" out of shock, ....., but VERY well done indeed. Give that man a prize.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:01 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:55 pm
Was thinking along those lines myself Marko. These newly promoted sides are always going to have a point to prove. Had we have played Morecambe or Cheltenham in say November i feel that it would be very much a different scenario, not that it matters one iota now.
Add to that Burton top of the table after beating Sunderland.

Could try and argue tougher games than they appear on paper, but very very hard not to be disappointed after that start, should have been 2-0 and game essentially killed off early doors.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:58 pm
rossi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:53 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:36 pm
Two people voting cheltenham…… W T A F? :shock:
I was one of them - not so stupid now, am I?
No one voiced, or indeed could say the word "stupid" out of shock, ....., but VERY well done indeed. Give that man a prize.
Well the connotation was there - don't want a prize, just the satisfaction of knowing that so far this season I have predicted 3 defeats; that's a 66% success rate which is considerably better than you :wink:
Last edited by rossi on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm

Got to sort that defence out. Their goals were not straight from the throw ins, but the balls in panicked our defence but again, if went 2-0 up like should of then be different game. Going forwards we look good.

Defending we just fold and it's really crazy to see why

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm

Great now we have fans so very happy that they predicted we LOSE !!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:08 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm
which is considerably better than you :wink:
Go look at Prediction League archives......., you ain't getting prizes for that. :D

For me......., who still listens to 70s & 80s music ......, it is disbelief. Not helped by ageing buddies who do not give two hoots about ITFC, texting and asking, "When will it end? Morecambe?? Cheltenham??"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:10 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:04 pm
Great now we have fans so very happy that they predicted we LOSE !!!!
Yes. It is a tad weird.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:35 pm

Is it fair to say the next game is a must win? My knee is beginning to shake a bit, but it’s way too early to write the season and manager off. I remind myself of the early Bobby Robson days when fans were calling for his head. My patience is wearing thin, but I still believe Cook will turn things around.

COYB!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:48 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:35 pm
Is it fair to say the next game is a must win? My knee is beginning to shake a bit, but it’s way too early to write the season and manager off. I remind myself of the early Bobby Robson days when fans were calling for his head. My patience is wearing thin, but I still believe Cook will turn things around.

COYB!
Yeah a long way to go 9, keeping the faith and getting behind them is more important right now,

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:57 pm

don't say Cook started with a 4-5-1 formation, one lone attacker. If so what the fucks the thinking behind that particularly against these level of opposition. Did the same thing just recent in another game if correct, lo and behold we lost out and didn't get a result. If you're going to take to the field in games of this nature you don't put one attacker up front especially the need for points and our poor run of scores since first game. You go out with intent and aim for the victory, unable to comprehend these stupid line-ups.

Take a moment to reflect the names and 'integrity' of the opposition teams we have played last four games and with it, beaten in all save a first day escape when we got away with it, could so easily have been zeros all the way.

I really don't want to berate the new manager so early in but the problems that persist seem to be clear as day. Maybe not enough work done on the training field, just thought with 15 or more new names on board we could have started far better than this. I hope Cook realizes the seriousness of things even at an early stage and doesn't laugh off what's happened today and thus far with a flippant cavalier attitude. We don't need team coaches here with that approach.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:57 pm

OK - have spent an hour reflecting over a couple of glasses of wine... i am a 50+ year Ipswich fan and have watched us win in some of the best places in the world and lose in some too. Not over reacting but tonight was the latter. In summary, we dominated first half and played Ok. Burgess looks solid and edwards is a handful. Hladky worries me somewhat. Donacien is doing OK, bonne tries hard but is ineffective. Piggott works very hard but needs service - he gets none. Evans is strong, harper is class but not on the ball enough. Penney did ok too.

My issue comes second half. We just sat back and let them play. Their fans, who had been silent for 50 odd minutes, suddenly woke up and we were under seige. All around me, fans were getting agitated (me too), and with good reason. We could see the goal coming and sure enough it did! Then - their one and only threat (a bloke with a long thow), started to diminate us. It was just an accident waiting to happen! Sure enough (again) - it did.

Cook seems to wait an eternity to make changes. It needed to happen sooner.

So... i am not going to over react. I remain positive. However, we need to acknowledge that the age old gaps of the past 20 years remain. We are a shadow of what we were but show signs of what we may become. For the first time, i see the season as a consolidation and not a promotion season. I know its early days but there have been too many false dawns so we need a dose of reality. I had that tonight and it does not feel good... i hope we get better quickly but fear we are very much a work in progress. Much more patience is needed i am afraid. Sorry i cannot be more upbeat but that is the reality.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:03 pm

The worst of it is that i am staying in cheltenham tonight and despite having had a skin full, i just want to get away!!!! Ho hum - will have to wait until the morning... ☹️

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:07 pm

I think we all need patience, for the last two seasons we have been flying high after the first few games and look what happened - I really think that once the team settles they will be more than capable of putting a big run together and hopefully getting stronger as the season goes on rather than falling apart like in the last two years

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:41 pm

JamessB wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:07 pm
I think we all need patience, for the last two seasons we have been flying high after the first few games and look what happened - I really think that once the team settles they will be more than capable of putting a big run together and hopefully getting stronger as the season goes on rather than falling apart like in the last two years

Hi there and welcome to the forum

You are spot on and 100% agree. There were signs tonight we can be an excellent team but also shows our flaws

Stamp out the mistakes both end of the pitch and we will be okay.. I like Cooks interview and he doesn't shirk it..

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:36 am

JamessB wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:07 pm
also James, a welcome from me too.

Thanks for joining in the discussion.

It doesn't feel hopeless at all, but we could certainly do with a win. Such a game of fine margins this football caper.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:31 am

Disappointed with PC's after match comments "not making excuses" then goes on to make excuses? He has been in charge of 20 games at this level for Town and has won 4? Granted two different squads but its not good. When we lose the ball in the final third we are so open its crazy, also messing about across the back line before the hopeful punt up top is not encouraging. If are best players do get on the ball we do move it about well without creating anything. Dont remember there keeper tonight having to make to many saves.I said i would give PC to the end of August to see if we have progressed from last season, up to now we have not in victory terms.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:25 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:41 pm

You are spot on and 100% agree. There were signs tonight we can be an excellent team but also shows our flaws

Stamp out the mistakes both end of the pitch and we will be okay.. I like Cooks interview and he doesn't shirk it..
A good voice of reason, thank you.

While most of us are really hurting from results so far, perspective is needed. We had a new defensive pairing last night, which will never be easy to click immediately. I thought that Wolfie had a better game, barring a few wayward long passes. This is still a brand new team, but at times there are glimpses of great things to come. Indeed, had we not missed the penalty, 3 points would probably have been ours, had Bonne not missed last night, at 2-0 the dynamics would have changed and a further 3 points were more likely. Two big moments where we fluffed our lines when well on top, where we could be sitting with 7 points! Yes, just Two. Some will argue that just 2 big moments in particular also cost us the game last night, in Tozer's long throws, but without the panic (which they shouldn't have caused) Cheltenham didn't look like they had any other way of getting back into the game.

We brush ourselves down, we go again.

COYB

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:34 am

It's fine lines had the pen against Burton gone in had Bonne scored last night when it was harder to miss it's possible we could have 7 points and although not playing well we would have been very satisfied.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 am

Thankfully I didn't see the game, first Town game I've not seen in years, I don't know who was at fault in the defence for the goals but I've said it on a weekly basis for god knows how long, play Woolfenden and we'll get nowhere and achieve nothing. Cook f*cked it up tonight by not putting KVY at RB and Donacien at CB with Burgess, a guy playing his debut beside that bloody car crash, jerez, disaster waiting to happen.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:03 am

Given that Cheltenham’s ONLY threat was their long , high throw ins into our 6 yard area last night, you have to ask the question why Holy wasn’t in from the start , or when it became obvious during the game what Cheltenham’s gsme plan was , to have subbed Holy on. Because his height would have largely eradicated that threat IMO.

I’m not as yet entirely convinced that the new GK is all that. He actually looks nervous to me. But like the rest of the players, time is the big factor. They all need a chance to settle in and build partnerships on the pitch . I’m not sure they or the manager will be given it by some sections of our fan base though . I’ll guarantee they’ll be stupid chants of Cook out on Saturday . Idiots!

Edit: having said the above I would add , there were signs in the first half of just what a bloody good team we are going to have once the dust has settled . We will IMO, become unstoppable!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:22 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 am
Thankfully I didn't see the game, first Town game I've not seen in years, I don't know who was at fault in the defence for the goals but I've said it on a weekly basis for god knows how long, play Woolfenden and we'll get nowhere and achieve nothing. Cook f*cked it up tonight by not putting KVY at RB and Donacien at CB with Burgess, a guy playing his debut beside that bloody car crash, jerez, disaster waiting to happen.
Actually Mike for me Woolfenden actually in the main played okay. It wasn't like they scored directly from the throw ins but more phase 2 and even phase 3. The throw ins just caused panic but first goal we semi cleared from original throw in then they crossed to back post and headed in. The second goal was ball bouncing in the area from a throw in and one of there players spun around scoring. I don't think this was a one player reason why they scored but a collective of the entire defensive line up.

Far as goalie he made two real good saves which is more than the opposition goalkeeper needed to do. Maybe he could of done little bit better for first goal but there were defenders on the scorer and the cross came in far too easily

Again though we we were on the UP, we were in total command but we needed that second goal and please anybody explain just how we missed an open goal from few feet out? That was the turning point for me, just like missing the penalty against Burton.

Fine little margins but we need to be more ruthless in both boxes

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:26 am

Hallam, when was the last time you saw a tactical substitution of a goalkeeper? I think it's better for the no.1 to get to know his colleagues at the back. Last night he probably had to struggle to remember the first name of Burgess, hell I don't remember it myself.

No surprise that they chucked in plenty of long throws with a new CB playing.

Still no time to panic. Doncaster are on 0, Charlton & Sheffield Weds on 1 pt, Burton are top. Let's start to judge after 10 games please. If we are not pickup up regular wins between games 10-20 then we have a problem.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:39 am

Whilst I agree the team needs time to settle we also can’t bury our heads in the sand and think that this will definitely come right in time.
The facts are that in our 3 games so far we have conceded twice in each game against what many people thought would be easier opposition. Even in the first half last night all though we had plenty of the ball and playing well at times how many saves did their keeper have to make? As for the 2nd half well the less said about that the better.
We really need to pick up a win asap as confidence level both amongst the players and fans will soon be back to how it was towards the end of last season.
Must admit without being disrespectful to the following teams I find it hard to believe that ITFC would ever be in the position where they lost to Newport, Burton and Cheltenham in a week. I know times change but ffs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:23 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:22 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 am
Actually Mike for me Woolfenden actually in the main played okay. It wasn't like they scored directly from the throw ins but more phase 2 and even phase 3. The throw ins just caused panic but first goal we semi cleared from original throw in then they crossed to back post and headed in. The second goal was ball bouncing in the area from a throw in and one of there players spun around scoring. I don't think this was a one player reason why they scored but a collective of the entire defensive line up.

Far as goalie he made two real good saves which is more than the opposition goalkeeper needed to do. Maybe he could of done little bit better for first goal but there were defenders on the scorer and the cross came in far too easily

Again though we we were on the UP, we were in total command but we needed that second goal and please anybody explain just how we missed an open goal from few feet out? That was the turning point for me, just like missing the penalty against Burton.

Fine little margins but we need to be more ruthless in both boxes
Thanks for that mate, much appreciated, what I'm struggling with is why were we not heading away any of this barrage of balls into the box ? Where were the CB's, if Woolfy and co were so good it doesn't make sense to me.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:26 am

Highlights on TWTD Mike IF you want to look 🤔

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:41 am

Thanks for the warm welcome all, i've long been lurking but will try to be more active in future.

As mentioned very fine lines, sort the defence out and it will all click into place (he says with fingers and everything else firmly crossed!)

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:34 am

Highlights are interesting. Looks like Bonne had a tough game. Maybe should have got his head on the goal attempt and also was unconvincing attacking that long throw for the second.

Their first goal wasn't connected with the long throw at all, was a later phase of play. Maybe we could have done better to put the crossing player under pressure as it was a perfect cross.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:03 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:26 am
Sheffield Weds on 1 pt,
Just in case you’re holding the table upside down, Dubai…….. the local bank holiday that is Sheffield Wednesday are 4th on 7pts.

Just over 12 hours later. Still thinking, “hmmmm, Cheltenham?”

I mean we should all carry on thinking that cheltenham is just a horse racing community and FORGET last night. It didn't happen!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:29 am

My mistake Marko. I was using the table on TWTD which for some reason started Sheffield Wednesday with a 6 point deduction.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:44 pm

JamessB wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:41 am
Thanks for the warm welcome all, i've long been lurking but will try to be more active in future.

As mentioned very fine lines, sort the defence out and it will all click into place (he says with fingers and everything else firmly crossed!)
Yes welcome James, nice to have some new posters with positive and constructive input, stick around.