League 1 - Cheltenham Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we ready for our first win of the season?

C-Town Win
13%
I-Town Win
81%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Cheltenham Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:49 am

Image Cheltenham Town FC v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 17th August 2021 – 19:45

Jonny Rocks Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Early Season Promise Gone For A Burton........

The wait for this season to ignite shows no sign of happening any time soon where our results are concerned, another fixture which on paper at least looked winnable has come and gone as Town fell to their first league defeat of the new season, I don't think the players have read the script yet as Paul Cook and his players are not allowed to lose a game this season, that much is evident, the fans have said so, the fact we have lost one renders this season over already.

OK enough of the cynicism but that is how it feels at times after a negative result. Once again we found ourselves behind in a game but thankfully it lasted a mere couple of minutes as Town got themselves level almost immediately, a Burton player putting it into his own net while under pressure from Joe Pigott. The first half was probably edged by the Brewers but after the break Town found themselves getting a grip of the game and looked to be the most likely to win the game, sounds all too familiar. We even contrived to spurn the gift of a penalty as Scott Fraser did what he never did at MK Dons and allowed the keeper to save his spot kick, that was a golden opportunity missed and one which was to come back and haunt us big time. One real bright spot of the afternoon was the cameo debut from the bench of Kyle Edwards who smashed one shot from 25 yards off the underside of the bar, a few other pieces of good work told us enough of what we need to know about Edwards, it's just the way the little things aren't going for us at the moment, it will change.

Ironically Burton's winning goal was to come from the penalty after Matt Penney was adjudged to have tripped the Burton attacker inside the box, this one wasn't missed as Burton secured the win and with it the points. There is no doubt this was a blow for Cook and Co. and while I can't keep saying this for too much longer it isn't a disaster, it's a first league defeat, nothing more, but it is imperative we get the win in our next game, trust and belief are Two things which can evaporate very fast in Suffolk as we know only too well, a couple of wins would no doubt change all that and the sooner they come the better.

At the time of writing it looks nailed on that Central Defender Cameron Burgess is on his way to Town from Accrington Stanley and what I know about the player and from what I have read it is a good solid addition to the defence and that is definitely most needed. Along with Edmundson I think you have possibly our first choice CB pairing which will only bolster the team.

I remember reading much on the subject of how Town had it all wrong in the fitness and medical departments and how our long list of injuries wasn't right or normal, I said at the time I thought it was hogwash and I stand by that, it was nothing more than bad luck. Nolan, Edmundson, Nsiala, Burns, Chaplin, Norwood, have I forgotten anyone ? Is this new set up useless too ? Nope, its bad luck and nothing else but we definitely do need to get these players back again as soon as possible.

Cheltenham have had a tough start to the new season too and like Town they have picked up a solitary point from their opening Two games, a draw at Crew was followed with defeat at home to Wycombe Wanderers, sandwiched in between was a win at Bristol Rovers in the Carabao Cup first round. I think Cheltenham will be among the clubs fighting for survival come next April and with that in mind we have to win this one, another poor result against another of the weaker teams will not be good or do anything to convince the doubters that things are on the up. I am going for a encouraging Town win to finally get the ball rolling in the right direction. Town Win. COYB'S

The Opposition – Cheltenham Town FC

Founded in 1887, the club spent much of its early history competing in local football circles, before moving to the Birmingham Combination in 1932 and then the Southern League in 1935. They spent the next 50 years in the Southern League, winning the Midland Division in 1982–83 and then claiming the Premier Division title in 1984–85. They were subsequently promoted into the Alliance Premier League in 1985, where they remained for seven seasons until they were relegated in 1992. They finished as runners-up of the Southern League Premier Division for four of the next five seasons, and were promoted into the Conference in 1997.

The appointment of Steve Cotterill as manager during the 1996–97 was the start of a period of success at the club which resulted in Cotterill being their most successful manager. Four months after taking charge he guided the club to runners-up spot in the Southern Football League Premier Division, but they won promotion to the Football Conference as champions Gresley Rovers were unable to meet the required ground capacity for Conference membership. In 1997–98, Cheltenham finished runners-up in the Conference and were close to champions Halifax Town until the end of April 1998. They secured a place at Wembley in the 1998 FA Trophy Final, beating Southport 1–0 in front of a crowd of 26,837 at Wembley Stadium. In 1998–99, Cheltenham secured the Conference title and entry to the Football League.

After two mid-table finishes in Division Three, Cheltenham finally won promotion to Division Two (via the Division Three playoffs) at the end of the 2001–02 season. Shortly after winning promotion, Cotterill left Cheltenham to join Stoke City as their manager.

Cheltenham replaced Cotterill with first-team coach Graham Allner who had won the Conference championship with Kidderminster Harriers in 1994. Allner and assistant manager Mike Davis, who was originally assistant to Cotterill, were sacked in January 2003, after six months in the job, with Cheltenham near the foot of Division Two. Cheltenham turned to Bobby Gould, one of the most experienced managers in English football whose exploits include an FA Cup victory with Wimbledon in 1988. Cheltenham continued to struggle, and defeat in their final game of the season condemned the club to relegation back to Division Three after just one season. Gould resigned as Cheltenham Town manager in November 2003 and was replaced by John Ward.

During the 2005–06 season, a new stand for visiting fans was added (The Carlsberg Stand). They finished the season in 5th, earning a place in the play-offs. In the semi-final Cheltenham beat Wycombe Wanderers 2–1 away and drew 0–0 in the second leg at Whaddon Road. In the play-off final, Cheltenham beat Grimsby Town 1–0, securing a place in League One for 2006–07. The match at the Millennium Stadium on 28 May 2006 was attended by 29,196 people.

Cheltenham started life in League One with a 1–0 win against Gillingham. Following Cheltenham's 3–0 defeat to Port Vale, manager John Ward announced he had agreed a four-year contract with League One side Carlisle United. A highlight of the season was winning twice against Leeds United. Cheltenham's survival was secured on the final day of the season as they beat Doncaster Rovers 2–1 at Whaddon Road, denying their opposition automatic promotion.

Early in the 2008–09 season, Keith Downing left Cheltenham Town and was replaced by Martin Allen. Allen's team started poorly with a club-record seven defeats in a row, part of a 15-game run without a victory. The club narrowly avoided administration, and the 10-point penalty that would go with it, before Allen revealed that all the players at the club were up for sale. The season finished with Cheltenham's relegation back to League Two on the penultimate day of the season after three seasons in League One as they had conceded over 100 goals in all competitions.

Cheltenham won their first match of the 2009–10 season against Grimsby Town 2–1, but fell dramatically down the table soon after. On 20 October, Martin Allen was put on gardening leave amid allegations he racially abused a nightclub bouncer, and assistant manager John Schofield took temporary charge. Allen was formally cleared of misconduct but still left the club by mutual consent in early December. Former Cheltenham captain and Kidderminster boss Mark Yates was appointed manager on 22 December 2009. Cheltenham continued to struggle through the rest of the season, only managing to avoid relegation on the final day of the season, although they finished four points ahead of the relegated sides.

Yates, ahead of his first full season with Cheltenham, revamped the squad, releasing eight players, including defender Shane Duff, who had just completed his tenth year with the club. The season proved to be successful to begin with, with the Robins remaining close to the play-off positions, but they collapsed in the second half of the season and finished 17th, with only five wins in 26 games in 2011.

Despite losing in the first round of the League Cup, they reached the Football League Trophy south quarter-finals and were handed a lucrative tie at Tottenham Hotspur in the FA Cup third round. Yates won the Manager of the Month award for November after three wins from threeThe Robins ended the season in 6th and defeated Torquay United 2–0 at home and then 1–2 away in the League 2 Play-off Semi-finals. The Play-off Final was contested at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, 27 May 2012. Crewe Alexandra defeated Cheltenham Town 2–0 with goals from Nick Powell and Byron Moore in front of a crowd of 24,029.

The Robins also enjoyed a good run in the FA Cup, eventually losing out 5–1 to Premier League side Everton. On 6 November 2012, manager Mark Yates oversaw his 150th game in charge of the team in a 1–0 win against league leaders Gillingham. Cheltenham finished 5th, once again qualifying for the end of season play-offs after being pipped to the third promotion spot on the last day of the season by Rotherham United. The season included a run of 21 home league games without defeat. The play-offs saw Cheltenham face Northampton Town with Cheltenham losing both home and away games by 1–0.

After finishing in the play-offs for two consecutive seasons, Cheltenham Town's 2013–14 season proved to be difficult. Any hopes of a third consecutive play-off place were ended by March. The highlight of the season was a trip to Premier League side West Ham United, with the club eventually losing 2–1 at Upton Park. Cheltenham finished the season in 17th place.

On 25 November 2014, Mark Yates was sacked by Cheltenham Town after almost five years in charge. Cheltenham subsequently appointed Paul Buckle as team manager, but he was dismissed after just 79 days. In March 2015 Gary Johnson was appointed manager. In April 2015, after Bryan Jacob, a lifelong supporter, gave the club's supporters trust £222,000 in his will, members voted to use the money to accept a long-standing offer from the club for a permanent seat on its board of directors. Football fan Clive Gowing was subsequently elected. The club said it would also name a stand and supporters' player-of-the-season award in Jacob's memory. On 25 April 2015, Cheltenham Town lost at Whaddon Road to Shrewsbury Town, which meant that Cheltenham were relegated from the Football League after sixteen seasons.

After only one season outside of the Football League, Cheltenham secured an immediate return on 16 April 2016 with a 2–0 home win against FC Halifax Town. The team amassed 101 points, scoring the most and conceding the fewest goals, on their way to becoming Champions, finishing 12 points clear of second-placed local rivals Forest Green. January signing Dan Holman was joint winner of the National League's Golden Boot award, with 30 goals, having netted 16 times in just 18 games for the Robins. Danny Wright, a summer signing, finished the season with 22 league goals and 11 assists, winning the Supporters Player of the Year award.

For the club's return to the Football League, manager Gary Johnson largely kept faith with the players that had won the previous year's National League. The 2016–17 season proved to be a struggle with a number of players finding the step up to League Two more difficult than had been hoped. The Whaddon Road pitch also came in for criticism, from both supporters and visiting managers, as it struggled to cope with its high levels of use (Gloucester City were in the final season of a ground-share at Cheltenham during 2016–17). Results improved somewhat during the spring, although Johnson was absent on sick leave from March onwards while recovering from heart bypass surgery, leaving his assistant Russell Milton in charge. The Robins secured their league status with a 1–0 win over Hartlepool United in the penultimate game of the season. They finished the season in 21st place.

During the close season a recovered Gary Johnson returned to work and signed a new two-year contract. He oversaw a major clear out of the squad with eleven players released. In the 2017–18 season the club ultimately only gained one point more than in the previous year (51 compared to 50), and finished in 17th place in League Two. By far the biggest success of an otherwise low-key year was Sudanese striker Mohamed Eisa. Signed as a free transfer from non-league football, Eisa scored 23 league goals for Cheltenham during the season and ultimately moved to Bristol City, for a transfer fee reportedly in excess of £1m (a club record sale), in July 2018. At the end of the season, long-serving club chairman Paul Baker stood down from the role after 20 years, handing over the chairmanship to Andy Wilcox.

On 10 September 2018, ex-Cheltenham player Michael Duff was appointed after the departure of Gary Johnson. Duff guided the Robins to 16th. The following 2019–20 season was very successful, narrowly missing out on automatic promotion in 4th place. Final league standings were decided on a points-per-game basis following disruption caused by the COVID–19 pandemic. Cheltenham missed out in the play-offs to Northampton Town, losing 3–2 on aggregate.

In 2020–21, Cheltenham returned to League One as champions after five seasons in League Two. Due to the ongoing disruption caused by COVID-19, the vast majority of fixtures in 2020–21 took place behind closed doors. The Robins reached the fourth round of the FA Cup for the first time since 2006 before narrowly losing out to eventual 2020–21 Premier League champions Manchester City. Cheltenham were leading the match until ten minutes to go before eventually losing 3–1. Cheltenham guaranteed their return to League One with a 1–1 draw at home to Carlisle United. On 8 May 2021, Cheltenham won their first ever EFL title, beating Harrogate Town 4–1 on the final day to secure the League Two championship.

The Manager – Michael Duff

Form Guide

Cheltenham Town Last 5 Matches – Currently in 20th place with 1 point

7 Aug Crewe Alexandra 1 - 1 Cheltenham

14 Aug Cheltenham 1 - 3 Wycombe

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 16th place with 1 point

7 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Morecambe

14 Aug Burton Albion 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

Match Referee – Peter Wright

CHELTENHAM TOWN 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Cheltenham Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:20 am

I’m sticking my neck on the line and go8mg for a comfortable Town victory.

1-3 Pigott, Edwards, Fraser

On the point of recent injuries re Town players, I’m going for these players starting a very intense Paul Cook training regime, training 3 times daily. Which they are unlikely to have been subjected too at their former club. Everyone is different , but maybe some have succumbed to the stresses on the body in early somewhat heavy pre season type training.

I suppose The acid test will be the recurrence of injuries ( to the new boys especially ), over the season as a whole, but with players such as Norwood it makes me wonder if his body was already on the decent when when we bought him because he’s never been fit since he signed for us.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:57 am

Going to be out first League win, 2 -1 to Town, and going to watch on iFollow!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:32 pm

Ha ha I actually thought Town losing wasn’t an option at first glance on the poll!

Which of course it isn’t…

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:37 pm

Excuse my dimness here but what does
c- Town win and
I - Town win mean ? 🤷‍♀️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:43 pm

Cheltenham? 🤦‍♂️ Anyone take the time to read that massive piece in red about them?? Yep, Ipswich Town are in the same league as ….. ………….. C H E L T E N H A M. Jaysus absolute effin H.

If its all just a matter of “LUCK”, then it has to change. The law of averages states it must. Will a tight 1-0 win and 3 points change the doubters? I “doubt” that. Hoping its a convincing 3-0 minimum skelping……. Clean sheet for the Hanky.
Its Cheltenham FFS!

0-2 HT
0-5 FT

Ref caption:

“Ok, yep, i hear you. Go on. ………, really? When? ………., this morning?…….., not good. Thought she’d had two doses? ……. Yep……. Really? And she’s caught it……… Auntie Bella too? But…… she only had it last month? Double jabbed as well? Yer jokin? ……. Ok mum, listen, i need to go, im in the middle of refereeing, must go award a freekick or a penalty or something……. Send my love to gran, get well soon. Bye mum.”

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:49 pm

Cheltenham 1 Ipswich 3

Ref Caption; not sure who you are but your talking a load of crap, oops I've got this thing the wrong way round,

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:00 pm

The season will start to come together from here. I think we'll get a comfortable win and just go from strength to strength as each week passes. 1-3.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:04 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:00 pm
The season will start to come together from here. I think we'll get a comfortable win and just go from strength to strength as each week passes. 1-3.
Yes, Deere……. Everyone thinks that.

Crucially, lets hope the players get the memo.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:14 pm

Are there any creative Ipswich based film makers going about? Maybe make a short comedy film along the lines of “Flight of the Navigator”?
(Had the granddaughter staying with us; she loves this film)

Maybe make a film about a 1980 Ipswich town season ticket holder who's adducted by aliens and brought back today?

“Wow, you haven’t aged”
“You have! You look fkn ancient!”
“Gee, thanks.”
“What day is it?”
“Monday. And there is football tomorrow night,
“Really? We beat Man Utd 6-0 on Saturday. Who we got tomorrow?”
“Cheltenham.”
“Cheltenham? Is it a cup game?”
“No.”
“Ah right, early season-friendly?”
“Err, no.”
“Testimonial for Paul Cooper or something?”
“No, its a league game.”
“A FICKIN LEAGUE GAME???”
Passes out

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:46 pm

New ground for me and looking forward to it! COYB's - 0-4 Town 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:31 pm

We’re a long way from beating anyone 4-0 in my opinion, but look at my prediction league position lol!

1-1 Hope I’m wrong and we win. It’s Cheltenham ffs…if we lose f*ck off. Oh yeah, patience…no divine right.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:47 pm

Voted for us to win although if it goes to sh*t and we miss out again it won't be that much of a surprise. Simple this, if no wins are forthcoming by the time this is over i.e. Morecambe, Newport, Burton, Cheltenham : it won't be quite time yet to light a fire under Cook's as* but the flint and striker will be moving ever closer.

I know it will take time for all relevant parts to come together and work, but imagine no wins against the caliber of opponents listed, some are going to have some level of justification for speaking out in a negative sense towards manager and players. Only early in a season but when you're not winning the gap between those and top can become distanced out in a relatively short time.

Cheltenham 0 ITFC 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:30 pm

saint jude wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:47 pm
Simple this, if no wins are forthcoming by the time this is over i.e. Morecambe, Newport, Burton, Cheltenham : it won't be quite time yet to light a fire under Cook's as* but the flint and striker will be moving ever closer.
Absolutely perfectly put. Didn't ever want to properly "lose it"...., been trying to word something appropriate. And that'll do, Saint Jude. Cheers.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:04 pm
JOHN DEERE wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:00 pm
Yes, Deere……. Everyone thinks that.

Crucially, lets hope the players get the memo.
Damn, it seems I have lost whatever spark of individuality I may have once possessed! :P Oh well.

And yes, I do hope the players get the memo.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:59 am

Off to Cheltenham later hopefully to see our first win of the season. COYB!!!!!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:17 am

Well I don't see this as a must win game, especially since we will probably have a new CB pairing at the start. But it will be disappointing to lose it.

Let's hope for a bit of luck and with an early goal we would maybe have a chance of a big win.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:37 pm

Dubai Blue posts at 8:17am

Its now 5:30pm

Clearly no one G’s AF about this game. :lol:
Can sort of relate to that. Ipswich v Cheltenham equivalent to Hibs v Alloa. Would rather cut my toe nails.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:42 pm

I am here and buzzing for it 😬

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:37 pm
Dubai Blue posts at 8:17am

Its now 5:30pm

Clearly no one G’s AF about this game. :lol:
Can sort of relate to that. Ipswich v Cheltenham equivalent to Hibs v Alloa. Would rather cut my toe nails.
Will be paying my tenner and watching on I-follow. :D

Just not had anything to add to the topic. :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:07 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:42 pm
Getting that feeling, too. And with no disrespect to Cheltenham, but it’s only Cheltenham. It’s just really crucial we get a win.

I’m confident we’ll come good whatever, but it’ll take the pressure of everyone.

We don’t need to be fully gelled. Just cut out the mistakes and just be a little more clinical… and we win.

2 - 0 win.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:11 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:42 pm
Enjoy give them a shout for me, 0-2 my prediction.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:59 pm

Thoughts on team line up?

Ipswich Town: Hladky; Donacien, Woolfenden. Burgess, Penney; Harper, Evans; Fraser, Edwards; Bonne, Pigott

Subs: Holy, Vincent-Young, Coulson, Carroll, Barry, Dobra, Jackson?

Makes sense resting KVY if he is off pace a bit still, though many will lament seeing Wolfenden in starting line up. Look like we have goals in our line up too.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:04 pm

I can't understand Jackson on the bench and would like to see Fraser as a number 10 not on the wing.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:13 pm

Anyone having problems getting into ifollow? All I keep getting is a possibly buffering circle on screen sink can’t see the pitch at Cheltenham

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:21 pm

Just put mine on seems fine.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:22 pm

Would have been there tonight but in the Highlands instead. COYB'S bring home the points

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:27 pm

First game this season, even though on ifollow............." my garden shed, my garden shed .. ...........lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:34 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:21 pm
Just put mine on seems fine.
Was trying to go in vie ITFC ifollow “ next match” but have got in via EFL app now ! Bloody technology lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:22 pm
Would have been there tonight but in the Highlands instead. COYB'S bring home the points
“Up the hee’lans and a croas the trossachs, pullin oor wires, Tour 90!”

That was some holiday, Mike. Still have those t shirts with that printed on them.

If youre anywhere near Tyndrum, go into the burger joint rest stop, see if Big Janet is still there!! :lol: Was 31 years ago, so maybe not!

That team should be of record equalling potential. No more Floriana……. Cheltenham 0 Ipswich 11