Conor Wickham

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Conor Wickham

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:47 pm

On trial at PNE having been released by Palace . Where he made just 33 appearances in 4 years due to injury ….

Wasted of a real talent really, wasn’t he .

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ip-8268046

number 9

Re: Conor Wickham

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:58 pm

I still can't believe we got so much money for Wickham...and that was several years ago. It's great we got paid so well for developing a youth player, but on the other hand one could argue that Connor is an archetype for inflated transfer fees. He didn't quite become the player we all thought he could have, but in fairness he has dealt with numerous injuries.

Good luck Connor, I hope you find a place to finish your career.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:21 pm

I’m having a stab at this now, but from memory some of the fees we’ve got for our “ better” players run a bit like this …..

Dryer £7m
Bramble £4m
Wickham £8-13m (with add ons?)
Rhodes £700k?
Murphy£3m
Bent £2m
Stewart £1m ( gifted to Sunderland to avoid closure of the club)
Webster £1-2m?
Waghorn £3m
Mings £8m
Cresswell £3m
Walters £2m?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:21 pm
I’m having a stab at this now, but from memory some of the fees we’ve got for our “ better” players run a bit like this …..

Dryer £7m
Bramble £4m
Rhodes £700k?
Murphy£3m
Bent £2m
Webster £1-2m?
Waghorn £3m
Mings £8m
Cresswell £3m
Walters £2m?
Was that the young German striker Herr? :wink: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:37 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:39 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Dryer £7m
Bramble £4m
Rhodes £700k?
Murphy£3m
Bent £2m
Webster £1-2m?
Waghorn £3m
Mings £8m
Cresswell £3m
Walters £2m?
:lol:

And his diving routine in the box....... "Tumble"

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:37 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Dryer £7m
Bramble £4m
Rhodes £700k?
Murphy£3m
Bent £2m
Webster £1-2m?
Waghorn £3m
Mings £8m
Cresswell £3m
Walters £2m?

And his diving routine in the box....... "Tumble"

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:40 am

sometimes you try to forget the last fifteen years at the club such has been the inactivity and failures but for a time at least, Wickham would have been arguably our prize asset. Would have been playing under Keane or Jewell, think McCarthy came in after but often would light up an otherwise poor team and manager/s. Did we really get over 8 million for his sale ? Remember Sunderland took him off us, believe they were EPL at the time while we were then Championship League, naturally.

Wickham was never or going to be an icon for the club name although over time did reach the verge of something like cult status. Guess he just rose above a plethora of other names back then that were by and large ineffective. Recall the club or fans at least tried to make him stay but to no avaiil. One of those players where you know they're destined to finish elsewhere.

For arguments sake i don't want him back - we don't need him back- , bottom line it's something that can or will never occur. Had his time with us, logic dictates it can't be replicated. Wish him well at Preston if goes his way, shame that with better managerial names here and players with it, he wasn't gven the opportunity to really reach out to more potential. Were he injured often ? Possibly but I care to remember his time on the field. The last decade seems a blur at times regards here such were, as again, the multitudes of disappointments, unmitigated garbage sh*t 'football' and missed opportunities et cetera.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:07 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Dryer £7m
Bramble £4m
Rhodes £700k?
Murphy£3m
Bent £2m
Webster £1-2m?
Waghorn £3m
Mings £8m
Cresswell £3m
Walters £2m?
Wooah!!!!Ha ha my ickle text gremlin strikes again :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:35 am

saint jude wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:40 am
sometimes you try to forget the last fifteen years at the club such has been the inactivity and failures but for a time at least, Wickham would have been arguably our prize asset. Would have been playing under Keane or Jewell, think McCarthy came in after but often would light up an otherwise poor team and manager/s. Did we really get over 8 million for his sale ? Remember Sunderland took him off us, believe they were EPL at the time while we were then Championship League, naturally.

Wickham was never or going to be an icon for the club name although over time did reach the verge of something like cult status. Guess he just rose above a plethora of other names back then that were by and large ineffective. Recall the club or fans at least tried to make him stay but to no avaiil. One of those players where you know they're destined to finish elsewhere.

For arguments sake i don't want him back - we don't need him back- , bottom line it's something that can or will never occur. Had his time with us, logic dictates it can't be replicated. Wish him well at Preston if goes his way, shame that with better managerial names here and players with it, he wasn't gven the opportunity to really reach out to more potential. Were he injured often ? Possibly but I care to remember his time on the field. The last decade seems a blur at times regards here such were, as again, the multitudes of disappointments, unmitigated garbage sh*t 'football' and missed opportunities et cetera.
Didn’t ever see the big deal over Connor Wickham. He must’ve shown his best stuff in the U17, u18, u19 etc etc. Certainly looked ordinary on the maybe 3 times managed to catch his performances.
When the £8M was revealed……. Most were shocked beyond belief. From memory, a few were saying the club need to hold out for more……. And thats why i always thought this lad showed his best stuff in lower teams within the club.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:35 pm

Yeah I agree, could see he was a decent player, but never really saw anything special. I think part of it is that he's a big strong bloke and so would have shone at lower ages because of his physical attributes.

It's an £8m gamble though isn't it, you could buy 12 or 13 of them for one Lukaku, and in most cases you'd get some money back, in some cases you'd make a profit. I don't think it was really a sign of his ability, just a gamble on his potential.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:26 pm

These are his top 3 goals according to him.

He was very skilful. I remember him receiving a long high ball ( defence clearance to him), which was dropping down to him right on the by line. As defenders ran at him, he took that ball out of the air with ONE touch, and left them for dead…and I think he may well have been about 17yrs of age…he didn’t make many starts for Town coz I think a certain Jordan Rhodes was just slightly ahead of him in the pecking order then… out of the two players , CW was BY FAR the better player.

https://youtu.be/-aGFncgRnzs

https://youtu.be/ooKVux9KIGI

For a big lad he was really very nimble on his feet I thought

Some good goals here while we’re at it ….

https://youtu.be/yYjek82c3hw