Is it the back four or the goalkeeper ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Is it the back four or the goalkeeper ?

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:17 pm

That’s the real issue ? Because the more I think about it the more I’m wondering if the lack of presence ( verbal and physical) by the goalkeeper , is what’s putting the back four under pressure ?

A goalkeeper should be knocking his centre banks out the way to get that ball . With his arms above head height to collect or at least going to punch a cross clear , there should be no dispute who is in charge of that 6 yard area . Hldaky is silent, anonymous. As I’ve said on the match thread, it’s like we ha ent got a goalkeeper in the side. Even if he has previously been a good GK, his performances to date do not warrant selection for the next match .

We need an experienced keeper in through the door by Tuesday IMO and straight in the team .

rossi

Re: Is it the back four or the goalkeeper ?

Post by rossi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:29 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:17 pm
That’s the real issue ? Because the more I think about it the more I’m wondering if the lack of presence ( verbal and physical) by the goalkeeper , is what’s putting the back four under pressure ?

A goalkeeper should be knocking his centre banks out the way to get that ball . With his arms above head height to collect or at least going to punch a cross clear , there should be no dispute who is in charge of that 6 yard area . Hldaky is silent, anonymous. As I’ve said on the match thread, it’s like we ha ent got a goalkeeper in the side. Even if he has previously been a good GK, his performances to date do not warrant selection for the next match .

We need an experienced keeper in through the door by Tuesday IMO and straight in the team .
TBH I don't think it's either = IMO it's the manager and coaching staff.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:39 am

Hdladky and back four aside…. bit worried about the midfield. We need to stiffen up at times. Can appreciate us playing positive, front foot football, but we we’ve got to slow the game down at times and see games out. Two nil up and should have consolidated that lead for a bit. Would be happy to play sideways football for a bit after being two-nil up.
Marking is terrible from set-pieces. Gutting conceding that late equaliser, but you can see it coming. Would like a tough no-nonsense CM if we were to bring a player in. Harper’s a young talent, but gave the ball away too often in dangerous positions.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:35 am

I must admit I was very disappointed with Hdladky yesterday and don’t see him making the grade. Wimbledon clearly identified his weakness and bullied him every time they had a corner, he looked so shaky and nervy and our defenders knew that too and often cut out balls that should really have been the keepers. He has absolutely no presence in his 6 yard box and every opponent will have identified this weakness ahead of playing us.
The other thing I noticed yesterday is that there is no leader in the back four shouting instructions or encouragement to those around him, this means the back four play as individuals and not as a single unit.
All this said we are only a few games into the season and this should be an easy fix. We all agreed a few weeks ago we would need to be patient and yesterday I watched more good football than bad. Just such a shame we allowed them to bully us in added time and take 2 points back to Wimbledon although nobody can really say they didn’t deserve them.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:37 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:39 am
..... Harper’s a young talent, but gave the ball away too often in dangerous positions.
Reminds me of Andre Dozzell ....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:29 am

Had a chance to calm down, was fuming at 5pm yesterday. Yes it is very early days and things are easily corrected, for a start we have to get Edmundson in alongside Burgess who I thought for the most part looked good, he's also a bit of a talker which I like.

For me Coulsen was our best player, very impressive defensively and going forward, when he's fully fit he'll be a great asset, KVY too looks to be approaching his best.

I was defending Hladky to the hilt until yesterday and yes he does look very dodgy and incapable of coming for anything played into the box but let's be fair here, the guy has played with Four different defensive pairings in Five games and that will change again soon. He didn't keep 24 clean sheets last season by luck and was top of virtually every goalkeeping stat whilst winning the Golden Gloves award, several clubs wanted to sign him, he hasn't just become a bad keeper overnight, I'm prepared to give him time and for me is way better than Holy.

The Midfield needs to take some of the blame , yesterday Evans for me was better than Harper but both are guilty of dropping and playing too deep, severe times in the first half the ball fell invitingly on the edge of their box and we had nobody pushed forward enough in a central position to take advantage, they both sat deep, they are both good players but need to get an understanding where one sits deep and the Other pushes forward.

Going forward we have no problem, Edwards, Burns, Fraser, Pigott, Bonne all bring something to the table and all are different, I think Pigott would benefit from a small player up alongside him and for me Chaplin will be that man.

All is not lost but already we have a big job on our hands to claw back the points we've already fallen behind, it needs a good run of wins and we are capable, Edmundson for me is the key.