League 1 - Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up Tuesday's great win?

Stanley Win
13%
Town Win
73%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:14 am

Image Accrington Stanley v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 2nd October 2021 – 15:00

Wham Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

"Sixy Football".............

It had to happen, sooner or later this Town team were going to rip someone apart and finally we found our groove as we hit Doncaster Rovers for Six at Portman Road to register our first home win of the season, it may have been a while coming but we did it in style and while it may not have been "Sexy Football" there were elements of the performance that were really impressive. I think it has to be recognised that Doncaster were about as bad as it gets at any level of Football and I doubt there would have been a team from League Two even that would not have beaten them on the night but you can only beat what is in front of you and maybe some of what we did went a way to making them look so poor.

Much had been written about the positive effect a certain Sam Morsy was going to have on the team once he was clear to play, the hype and expectation has been massive and boss Paul Cook has certainly heaped the pressure on his new captains shoulders, but we need not have panicked as Morsy took it all in his stride and fulfilled our hopes from the off, his debut performance was composed, efficient, controlled etc etc, he did everything simply and barely put a tackle or a pass an Inch out of place, while he is the typical Defensive Midfielder who likes to sit he also gets forward a bit too and picks offensive passes to get the team moving forward, all very encouraging.

I think another big plus was Lee Evans getting a Hat -trick and the Morsy effect almost certainly allowed Evans more freedom and space to get forward into attacking positions, Evans took his goals with aplomb and if he can continue to offer this type of threat we then have yet another attacking option at our disposal, as if we haven't got enough already. That man Macauley Bonne wasn't to be denied either as he helped himself to a brace to take his seasons total to an impressive Seven so far, George Edmundson popping up at the death to complete the rout.

Lee Evans, Sam Morsy & Macauley Bonne will take most of the plaudits but in truth every player on the night did their bit efficiently, for me Wes Burns has been the player of the season so far, such is his work rate and effort he is usually burnt out by 75 minutes, Scott Fraser was very impressive too, the back Four & Keeper all did their jobs well and the clean sheet will boost confidence further, I am convinced we have the right man between the sticks and he will go from strength to strength after his early season wobble.

The only player not mentioned so far is Bersant Celina who I think it is fair to say I have been a little tough on since we were linked with his return to Portman Road. I think what last night has told us is that you don't put square pegs in round holes, Celina is not a Number Ten and it showed in a pretty average first half, being switched out wide Left made a big difference to Bersant and he improved greatly as he had a hand in Three of the goals, I still feel at times he can be a bit of a luxury player and against better teams that effort may not be enough but there is no doubt he has talent and skill and it could just be he is still a way off full fitness so I am happy to give him time, how lovely is it to have Kyle Edwards & Conor Chaplin chomping at the bit to grab the shirt, nobody can sit on their laurels and expect to start.

The one thing that is a slight concern is how the likes of Edwards, Chaplin, Pigott, Harper, Norwood etc will take it being bit part players, all those players should walk into any League One starting Eleven which goes to show the ridiculous strength of our squad depth, Joe Pigott in particular worries me, the main man last season and scoring goals for fun to not even being able to get a place on our bench, surely that is not sitting well with him and to be fair it would be understandable as when he has played I feel he has done very well, albeit without having much luck in front of goal, the way Cook likes his team to play only allows for One out and out Striker and Bonne is not going anywhere anytime soon so Pigott is still going to have to bide his time as an impact sub at best until January at least when we may be faced with losing Bonne back to his parent club.

One thing that definitely stands out for me is the team spirit within the side, after every goal and at the final whistle everyone is congratulating each other with hugs, hand shakes, high Fives you name it and I think it looks so genuine, for a group that have only just been thrown together they appear to have bonded really well, I also noticed the group huddle just before kick off which I am sure Morsy instigated, I may be wrong but not sure we have been doing that every game, either way it is all very positive as a happy squad is more often than not a successful one.

Having taken Seven points from a possible Nine it is important we try to keep the momentum going and next up is a long trip North to take on those Milk Guzzling, Tweed cap wearing Lancastrians from Accrington Stanley. Stanley had started the season well but in recent games have slipped from grace somewhat, only a single point from the last Twelve sees them in 12th place with Thirteen points, what has me licking my lips is the fact they have conceded more goals than anyone else in the division and with our attacking options that must be an opportunity to capitalize on this and come home with another win, our fire power may be too much for them to contain.

Aside from Colby Bishop none of the Accrington players are known to me, Bishop along with Matt Butcher & Michael Nottingham have all contributed Three goals but is clearly at the back where they struggle and we have to attack it, play to our strength's which is attack and I feel this is very winnable indeed, our confidence should be high and our tails up whereas Accrington confidence could be fragile after conceding Five at Oxford on Tuesday evening. No game is easy, especially for us but I feel pretty confident we can make it Ten points from Twelve and if that is achieved I think any early season doubts would be well and truly removed. Town win for me as the Tractor gathers pace. COYB'S

The Opposition – Accrington Stanley

The original town club, Accrington, was amongst the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888, before resigning from the league after just five years. A team called Stanley Villa already existed at the time, named as such because they were based at the Stanley W.M.C. on Stanley Street in Accrington. With the demise of Accrington, Stanley Villa took the town name to become Accrington Stanley.

Accrington had been without a football team following the collapse of the original Accrington Stanley in 1966. The original team had been formed in 1891 and played in the Football League from 1921 to March 1962, but had spent its final four seasons in the Lancashire Combination. At a meeting at Bold Street Working Men's Club in 1968 the revival was initiated, and in August 1970 the new club played at a new ground, the Crown Ground. Eric Whalley, a local businessman, took control of the club in 1995 and began the development of the club's ground. After the club was relegated in 1999, Whalley appointed John Coleman as manager.

The club's rise to the Football League is attributed in part to the windfall of hundreds of thousands of pounds reaped by the sell-on clause in the December 2001 transfer of former Stanley star Brett Ormerod to Southampton, which paid Blackpool over a million pounds for his contract. Stanley had taken £50,000 from Blackpool in 1997, with the agreement that Blackpool would pay Accrington a quarter of what it might have received if it in turn transferred Ormerod to another team. The 2002–03 championship of the Northern Premier League followed quickly on Accrington's getting the cash.

Following the 2002–03 win of the Northern Premier League, the club was promoted for the first time in its history to the Football Conference. The club's first-ever game in the league was away to another re-formed club, Aldershot Town, on Sunday 10 August 2003. The game was shown live on Sky Sports and resulted in a 1–2 loss. The season was a success, with a final league position of 10th being achieved. The highlight of that first season in the 5th tier was a sensational run to the FA Cup 3rd round, only losing in a replay away to League One side Colchester United.

The following season saw the club become a full time professional outfit. The 2004–05 also resulted in a 10th-place finish.

The 2005–06 season saw the return of Stanley to the Football League. Finishing on 91 points, the club went on a 19-game unbeaten run stretching from October to March, leaving the club an easy passage to League Two after 46 years away.

The club was involved in a relegation battle throughout its first season in the 4th tier. A run of 5 wins in the last 9 games of the season led to a 20th-place finish and was enough to save the club from relegation in its first season back in the Football League.

The 2007–08 season produced more of the same, with the club involved in another relegation battle.5 wins in the final 12 games were enough to secure a 17th-place finish and another season in the 4th tier of English Football.

Performance during the 2008–09 season improved, with the club achieving a modest 16th-place finish in League Two.

The 2009–10 season was far better, with the club pushing for a playoff place at the turn of the year. A run of 9 wins in 10 League games saw the club with a chance of making the playoffs, only for this to fade in March/April.

The club reached the Football League Two play-offs during the 2010–11 season, one of the most successful in its history. A run of 1 loss in 19 games, from February till May, saw the club finish in a best-ever 5th position, eventually losing to League Two newcomers Stevenage in the Playoff Semi-finals.

2011–12 was a season of transition for the club. The loss of no less than six of the playoff-chasing side of the previous season was a tough act to follow. Following a shaky start to the season the arrival of Bryan Hughes in October transformed the club's fortunes. A run of 6 wins in 7 games over the Christmas period saw the club briefly enter the play-offs. However, following the sale of club captain Andrew Procter to Preston North End in the January 2012 transfer window, the third-longest serving management team of John Coleman and Jimmy Bell departed for Rochdale.

Former Burnley and club favourite Paul Cook was brought in as manager, along with the promotion of Leam Richardson from caretaker manager to full-time assistant. Only 3 wins in the final 17 games of the season was a pretty poor finish the season. However, this meant the club achieved a solid mid-table finish in 14th position.

On 18 September 2014, Coleman was confirmed as manager of Accrington Stanley for his second spell with the club.

On 17 April 2018, they were promoted to League One following a 2-0 win over Yeovil Town.

Last season Stanley finished in 11th place.

The Manager – John Coleman

Form Guide

Accrington Stanley Last 5 Matches – Currently in 12th place with 13 points

4 Sep Accrington 1 - 0 Shrewsbury

11 Sep Sunderland 2 - 1 Accrington

18 Sep Accrington 1 - 4 Wigan Athletic

25 Sep Morecambe 3 - 3 Accrington

28 Sep Oxford Utd 5 - 1 Accrington

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 19th place with 10 points

28 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 AFC Wimbledon

11 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 5 Bolton

18 Sep Lincoln City 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

25 Sep Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Sheffield Wed

28 Sep Ipswich Town 6 - 0 Doncaster

Match Referee – Martin Coy

ACCRINGTON STANLEY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:33 am

Excellent uplifting preview. A joy to read (they all are) but a properly positive preview (<<—- say that without spitting in yer cornflakes) …. Hopefully a corner turned and its a win streak to the top like Blackpool last season. 👍

Keep saying MacBonne reminds me of McCoist and he does. With those days in mind, hopefully when Pigott does get a chance, he can be the Mark Hateley to MacBonnes McCoist. Yes i know its all 90s Rangers chat, but they cut deep! Bstds! Albeit very good bstds!

Again, not voted……. But thinking away win fo’sho’! Got to be and thought so in prediction league also.

Ref caption:
HEADLINE:

“Referee watches players dive just as wind changes; his face stays like that.”

Coleman caption:
HEADLINE:

“Coleman arrives at Portman Road straight after the World Massive Collar Championships”

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 am

I've gone for an away win, simply because it's unthinkable that - with the squad we have and most players available - we cannot easily beat teams such as Accrington. Actually, this squad ought to easily beat even Sunderland and Wigan. If we don't go on a 25 game unbeaten run now, I for one will be disappointed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:42 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 am
I've gone for an away win, simply because it's unthinkable that - with the squad we have and most players available - we cannot easily beat teams such as Accrington. Actually, this squad ought to easily beat even Sunderland and Wigan. If we don't go on a 25 game unbeaten run now, I for one will be disappointed.
Lmao, you are a pisstaker for sure :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:22 am

I'm thinking that a full points haul from October is feasible with maybe points dropped at Fratton Park. It's all building up to an interesting looking November when we will really find out if we are title material with games against Wycombe & Sunderland.

We should see off Accrington comfortably. 3-1 for me.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:24 pm

Stanley will not be smiling after our visit, I can see another good win and building on Tuesday night goal bonanza!

3 - 1 win the the boys!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:35 pm

Town win 2-0.

Can only see us getting better defensively with Morsy here and the two CB’s getting to know each other’s games. If we can keep it tight, we should have a chance of winning any game. Even when we weren’t winning, we looked a threat up front. The goals should take care of themselves. Another win and the confidence builds,

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:40 pm

Didn't read about opposition history. 'Featured in a milk commercial and not much else with it'. See some are racing ahead and think we'll win almost by default but prefer to remain rational after the last fixture. First off these are going to be tougher test than Doncaster and won't want to disappoint in front of their own fans, no matter how many their cow shed can accommodate.

Went for a tie, you can't become over complacent over last time out and this team is very much fallible. Want to win obviously. If we beat them out of sight then I were wrong, no time to dwell, made an error in judgment. They concede a number of goals and seem easy to get at, but then you take a moment to look at ourselves.

Accrington 1 ITFC 1

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:52 pm

The team was showing signs of starting to gel before this week but with Morsy now in the line-up we are looking like a proper team in all sectors of the pitch. I expect us to go from strength to strength. Only the slow start puts a slight question mark over a promotion push this season. I think, though, that automatic promotion is still a realistic prospect and I will be astonished now if we don't make top six at least. 0-3 for me.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:57 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:40 pm
....no time to dwell....
Yep....., you need to get along to the cinema, Saint.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:02 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:42 am
rossi wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 am
Lmao, you are a pisstaker for sure :lol:
lol - Mike, of course you know me, and I have to admit that I am a pisstaker most of the time.

But in this case, I'm absolutely serious. A number of us last season were saying we needed a total clear-out, which is exactly what we got (well, apart from Jackson who I said all along would be content to see out his contract and just collect his wages every week), and that included certain players who in my opinion contributed enormously to our downfall over the past few seasons.

It was said for the last 2 seasons that we had the best squad in the league, and I never agreed with that. This season, though, we have far and away the best squad in the league, most players are now available to play, and they have had time to gel. More importantly, they have started to win. It's down to the manager now, the squad is his by and large, and even Donald Duck ought to be able to get this squad to win the majority of the remaining games.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:07 am

I don’t remember looking forward to a game more than I am now for a long long time. Tuesdays performance was so uplifting and as I said a few weeks ago sooner of later we would give a team a right thrashing and then go on a winning streak. Maybe Tuesday was the start and whilst I can’t entertain Rossi’s suggestion Of 25 straight wins, I see no reason why we couldn’t have a run of 4, 5 or even 6 consecutive wins, but we always have to remember football is a funny old game and can throw up some unexpected results.

I’m going for 0-3 to Town.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:46 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:07 am
I don’t remember looking forward to a game more than I am now for a long long time. Tuesdays performance was so uplifting and as I said a few weeks ago sooner of later we would give a team a right thrashing and then go on a winning streak. Maybe Tuesday was the start and whilst I can’t entertain Rossi’s suggestion Of 25 straight wins, I see no reason why we couldn’t have a run of 4, 5 or even 6 consecutive wins, but we always have to remember football is a funny old game and can throw up some unexpected results.

actually, I believe I said a 25 game unbeaten run (not unreasonable, I remember SBRs team doing the same), not a 25 game straight win run (which would be rather silly :wink: )

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:53 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:46 am
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:07 am

actually, I believe I said a 25 game unbeaten run (not unreasonable, I remember SBRs team doing the same), not a 25 game straight win run (which would be rather silly :wink: )
You’re right Rossi and I misread it so please accept my apologies. You maybe right about this team going on a long unbeaten run but whether it can extend to as many 25 games is a big ask but it’s certainly something this team should be good enough to have a crack at. In my opinion Paul Cook is a good manager and under his leadership I expect Town to prosper.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:40 pm

If anyone can help out with a live stream prior to kick off I would be most grateful

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:33 pm

Have I missed something ?
How come iFollow are not showing games ?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:22 am

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:33 pm
They only show midweek league games now within the UK.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:29 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:22 am
Marvinbay1973 wrote:
I managed to watch the Donny game in Spain on Tuesday night and the quality was excellent. I’ll also be rushing home from 🏌️‍♂️ today to watch the Accrington game (hopefully).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:40 am

Where can you watch it Andy ?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:41 am

As nobody had gone for a Stanley win thought I would buck the trend.
Would be typical ITFC to lose after putting in their best performance of the season last Tuesday. Can see quite a few goals being scored in this game so will go for a 3-2 win for Stanley.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:15 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:29 am
AzzurroMark wrote:
Marvinbay1973 wrote:
I managed to watch the Donny game in Spain on Tuesday night and the quality was excellent. I’ll also be rushing home from 🏌️‍♂️ today to watch the Accrington game (hopefully).
Yes, all games are still available outside of UK (i believe)
, just to clarify my ambiguous wording. :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:01 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:15 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:29 am
AzzurroMark wrote:

Yes, all games are still available outside of UK (i believe)
, just to clarify my ambiguous wording. :lol:
Yes, Outside the UK. There are some countries where you can’t get iFollow, but it’s pretty much everywhere outside the uk. Heard some fans on TWTD were saying if you use a VPN then you can fool iFollow into believing that you live outside the uk, but haven’t read anyone being successful. Does seem a market for Uk-based fans to get access to iFollow on a weekend - especially the away games.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:02 pm

Town unchanged Edwards and Toto on the bench.👍COYB.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:03 pm

Unchanged team

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:03 pm
Unchanged team
How are you Mike ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:43 pm

Yesterday was not great at all tbh, had to go to bed most of day, thankfully today I am up and about, it's worse than I thought it would be having been double jabbed though. Thanks for asking.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:46 pm

That bench has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to outfield players! They would probably be nailed on starters at most League One teams! Indeed a number of Championship teams would too!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:47 pm

Indeed, good to see Nsiala & Edwards back and available.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:51 pm

Is Toto preferred to Woolf? Or has Woolf picked up an injury?

Don’t have any preference myself - but maybe Woolf is a bit more versatile (can play RB) and Toto a better backs to wall defender. Hopefully, we won’t need to sub a CB.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:38 pm

YEEEEESSSSS! COYB's