League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we beat the 23rd placed side?

Town Win
12
86%
Shrews Win
1
7%
Draw
1
7%
 
Total votes: 14

valleyroad
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:15 pm

Portsmouth, Plymouth and Wycombe all away in the next 5 games.
Should give a good indication of where this team is going.
Shrewsbury at home should be a given for a team looking to get to play-offs minimum

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2480
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:53 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:24 pm
We Missed Celina in Midfield today, he's a class act when it comes to those pinpoint Lazer sharp defense splitting passes, don't you dare get injured playing for Kosovo in the World Cup qualifiers Bersant.

In the next cup game, I would like to see PC introduce 20-year-old Tete Yengi up top at 6ft 5" alongside Macaulay Bonne laying off high balls to Mac's feet, it's just an experiment, but I have this gut feeling he could just be another Daryl Murphy ??? you won't know until you try these experiments out.
Missed Celina ? Like at Accrington you mean,?
:roll: That's your opinion BM of which I value, BUT how many assists has he made that have resulted in goal scoring chances and goals.
He has certain abilities and vision that others lack, he might look lazy and show that he's not really into the game like he won't chase back into the defence area it's not his character he drifts in and out, but when he makes that deft pass and switches on, that's when he's a match-winner, just give him more time to bed into this all-new setup and new players and he will start to really impress BUT don't expect him to chase back he won't do it he's an attacking midfielder and Paul Cooks likes him in the team alongside Morsy and that's what counts.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 20178
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:18 pm

Yep, 100%....., Bersant Celina will do more "good" for ITFC than "bad". The flashes of quality are worth it. And the anticipation (even if it doesn't happen much in certain games) will be brilliant for the home attending supporter. The "Derek Riordan" of Ipswich. Great viewing......, complete lazy bstd one week, scores twice v the Jambos the next. And Besant was an unused sub for Kosovo so all good for next game.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 20178
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:24 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:15 pm
Portsmouth, Plymouth and Wycombe all away in the next 5 games.
Should give a good indication of where this team is going.
Shrewsbury at home should be a given for a team looking to get to play-offs minimum
Really hoping the theory of better teams playing a more open and positive attacking tactic will benefit Ipswich. 7 (or 9) points from those three games would tell a story in itself. Going to allow myself to believe that PC will have the team ready for a proper game of football v better opponents and not continuing with trying to defend frustrating counter attacking sucker punches.

Get OUT THIS LEAGUE!

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9433
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:03 am

Couldn't follow action today and highlights never reveal the full picture but seems the team was value for a victory. This was always going to be an awkward game so relief to have won it. Bonne has something like 9 goals in 10 starts, it's a pity all (our) other forwards aren't nowhere near as prolific but here at least you got a name that can always provide a chance. Keeping his loan extended is paramount for the new year.

Why the hell Cook favors one lone attacker ahead of the immediate midfield is a concern. Today's game and opponents were shouting out for at least two up front but we got the win. It won't always work but maybe he's trying to experiment with the team or something.

Holy makes the requisite omission for league action but Vaclav has done well for us and often features in a winning side. Don't always look at league placings but the team has risen a little and while it's totally unfeasible to entertain promotion talk at this stage at least the last few games has shown areas of improvement.

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:10 am

Can’t help feel games against Shrewsbury and Cambridge are banana skins. If we win, then it’s as expected, if we don’t then another nail in Cook’s coffin. We’re already looking ahead to Wycombe, Pompey and Plymouth. And we’re making the assumption that an indifferent performance against Shrewsbury won’t be enough against these sides. Not sure about that, but we need to get maximum points against Shrewsbury and Cambridge.
What’s most worrying is how we go to pieces so easily. And it can come very quickly after being so dominant and going a goal ahead. I can’t work it out how you can play with so much confidence against a side who look beaten and clueless and then like a switch we pass the baton to them and there’s a role-reversal. Must be a mental thing and we do look as if we need more leaders and players with more nous in the side.
I’m not really convinced by Ash’s claim we missed Celina. He’s not really the type to dictate play - more of an x-factor player who can conjure some magic now and again. And we’ve got quite a few players like that. We’re the leagues top scorers and so we’re not lacking there. I can’t help feel that the most important factor is to get the defensive midfield two and the CB’s functioning properly. They are the backbone of the team. Don’t think Evans is doing enough to control games and Burgess looked really ropey at certain points.
Just get the points at Cambridge and then time to really up our game when we hit the stronger teams.
Trying to draw a parallel with Blackpool last season. We hammered them 4-1 at the start of the season and they looked relegation fodder. It took them half a season to turn it around before they stormed up the table and won promotion. Hopefully, we won’t need half a season. Not sure if it’s a confidence thing, but we’re lacking character. Having said that ….. good response in the second half and we saw the game out reasonably well. Did have to rely on some last-ditch defending from Donacien, though, who was excellent.

valleyroad
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by valleyroad » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:22 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:10 am
Can’t help feel games against Shrewsbury and Cambridge are banana skins. If we win, then it’s as expected, if we don’t then another nail in Cook’s coffin. We’re already looking ahead to Wycombe, Pompey and Plymouth. And we’re making the assumption that an indifferent performance against Shrewsbury won’t be enough against these sides. Not sure about that, but we need to get maximum points against Shrewsbury and Cambridge.
What’s most worrying is how we go to pieces so easily. And it can come very quickly after being so dominant and going a goal ahead. I can’t work it out how you can play with so much confidence against a side who look beaten and clueless and then like a switch we pass the baton to them and there’s a role-reversal. Must be a mental thing and we do look as if we need more leaders and players with more nous in the side.
I’m not really convinced by Ash’s claim we missed Celina. He’s not really the type to dictate play - more of an x-factor player who can conjure some magic now and again. And we’ve got quite a few players like that. We’re the leagues top scorers and so we’re not lacking there. I can’t help feel that the most important factor is to get the defensive midfield two and the CB’s functioning properly. They are the backbone of the team. Don’t think Evans is doing enough to control games and Burgess looked really ropey at certain points.
Just get the points at Cambridge and then time to really up our game when we hit the stronger teams.
Trying to draw a parallel with Blackpool last season. We hammered them 4-1 at the start of the season and they looked relegation fodder. It took them half a season to turn it around before they stormed up the table and won promotion. Hopefully, we won’t need half a season. Not sure if it’s a confidence thing, but we’re lacking character. Having said that ….. good response in the second half and we saw the game out reasonably well. Did have to rely on some last-ditch defending from Donacien, though, who was excellent.
I agree, Shrewsbury and Cambridge are banana skins but you need to win a high percentage of them.
I also agree that not beating Shrewsbury doesn't mean that Ipswich can't beat better sides but these 3 games over the next 5 will give a good indication for me of where the team are at. Perform badly and I think Cook will then be under pressure. Nobody knows yet either the nature of the owners, are they trigger happy or not. Personally I hope they give Cook plenty of time as I think he is more than capable
Last edited by valleyroad on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JohnnyB
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:05 am

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:35 am

I know we are not where we want to be in the league but as my wife’s away I’ve been watching the last few games on ifollow and while we’re still fragile and inconsistent we are SO much better than last year. Remember Holy and his terrible kicking and indecisive demeanour? Chambers getting turned and outrun in defence week after week, dial-in anonymous midfield performances from Dozzell and Judge? The sheer hopelessness of Sears upfront?

This was our team on the 17th October 2020, at home to Accrington:

Town: Holy, Chambers (C), Nsiala, Wilson, Kenlock, Dozzell, Huws, Bishop, Judge, Sears, Edwards.

Subs: Cornell, Woolfenden, McGuinness, Nolan, Lankester, Bennetts, Simpson.

We’ve come and long way, and we’re improving. Keep the faith!

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 20178
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:52 pm

Just managed to see highlights. Not one person has mentioned Morsy on this thread?? Don't tell me he's going to be one of those un-feckin-touchable "devoid of criticism" players? What the HELL was he doing falling like a pussy for the Shrewsbury goal? FFS. Get that eradicated from your game you dipshit.

From highlights, Penney looks decent. Plenty vision.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24427
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:39 pm

I actually thought he was fouled Marko, and oddly everyone around me found Penney to be the weak link.

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:50 pm

I did think Morsy was a bit weak, but I thought the player hooked his foot around his ankle.

First impressions- it was a foul, but he could have been a bit stronger. Many refs would have given that as a foul.

Just looked at it again and I think it still was a foul. Ref let a lot go from both teams….

BlueBalls
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BlueBalls » Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:54 pm

Definitely a foul.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 20178
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:54 pm

https://youtu.be/tBr-VKWs15M

Really, Balls? “Definitely” ? Its on here, great angle. No contact. Morsy needs to be much better than starting that sh*t. After all, he’s the saviour.

And if Penney the weak link, then proof that the far away fans like myself who rely on highlights should STFU and read reports. 👍

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24427
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:18 pm

I thought Penney did ok, people around me didn't, just how we all see it I guess. Penney did a bloody sight more than Evans or Fraser

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:29 am

I think Penney is a bit weak defensively at times, but he’s good going forward. TBH, so is Coulsen.

Some nice bits of interplay up that left hand side. Fraser is usually involved so whilst he’s getting a bit of criticism he’s a neat footballer who can spot a pass. The right-hand side seems to be different in which we rely on Burns’ pace. I thought at times Fraser, Chaplin and Penney worked well together down the left. I’d be happy for Chaplin to replace Celina at number 10. More harder working and tends to be in the right place at the right time. Celina s got a worldie in him, but I’d rather we have players who are there to scuff the ball in from a few yards.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24427
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:44 am

Personally I would play Chaplin Over Celina every time.

BlueBalls
Posts: 156
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BlueBalls » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:19 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:54 pm
https://youtu.be/tBr-VKWs15M

Really, Balls? “Definitely” ? Its on here, great angle. No contact. Morsy needs to be much better than starting that sh*t. After all, he’s the saviour.

And if Penney the weak link, then proof that the far away fans like myself who rely on highlights should STFU and read reports. 👍
I thought it was definitely a foul.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1616
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:59 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:44 am
Personally I would play Chaplin Over Celina every time.
Chaplin hands down when it comes to the No.10 position, but out wide i think Celina edges it over Chaplin for me. However, going wide you have to put Edwards into the equation. That is a headache for PC and any opposing Right back to tackle! :lol:

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 20178
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:15 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:19 am
marko69 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:54 pm
https://youtu.be/tBr-VKWs15M

Really, Balls? “Definitely” ? Its on here, great angle. No contact. Morsy needs to be much better than starting that sh*t. After all, he’s the saviour.

And if Penney the weak link, then proof that the far away fans like myself who rely on highlights should STFU and read reports. 👍
I thought it was definitely a foul.
Specsavers, Balls. 👍

tangfastic
Posts: 4018
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Shrewsbury Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by tangfastic » Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:01 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:59 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:44 am
Personally I would play Chaplin Over Celina every time.
Chaplin hands down when it comes to the No.10 position, but out wide i think Celina edges it over Chaplin for me. However, going wide you have to put Edwards into the equation. That is a headache for PC and any opposing Right back to tackle! :lol:
Nice problem to have. I think Chaplin might get the nod for number 10. Played well and scored so shouldn’t be dropped.
Celina could work out well on the left…. So could Edwards, but I’d stick with Fraser on the left for the moment.

There’s some signs of good understanding down the left-hand side so why not stick with it. Edwards or Celina to come off the bench.

Post Reply