League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we on the start of a roll?

Ipswich Win
82%
Fleetwood Win
9%
Draw
9%

Total votes: 22

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:43 pm

ImageIpswich Town v Fleetwood Town Image

Saturday 23rd October 2021 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Sending Out A Message........

I must admit I went into Tuesday evenings game at Fratton park dreading the worst, after the disappointing end to proceedings at Cambridge the previous Saturday it is fair to say my mood on all things Ipswich Town was far from pleasant, quite the reverse, I found myself thinking "here we go again" more false dawns and disappointment after disappointment, this after all seems to be the Ipswich way in recent years, I just felt things were not going to be any different despite all the change throughout the Summer, the signs have hardly been encouraging when you consider that already we have thrown away Seventeen points from winning positions.

To say I was somewhat surprised, not to mention delighted at the result would be an understatement, I felt we were in complete control for much of the game, especially the second half where we basically dominated from start to finish. Once again that predator Macauley Bonne got the ball rolling with another piece of opportunist play to hunt down the keeper and hassle him into an error, this guy just never gives up on lost causes. From that point we got better and better and the goals continued to flow, the second from Conor Chaplin was an excellent move and the finish so cool, Aluko struck the third albeit with a bit of help from the keeper once more, substitute Wes Burns grabbing the Fourth after another decent passage of play. By the close of play it was a mauling in every sense of the word at a place which is notoriously hard to get a result at.

Paul Cook and the boys had certainly thrust my comments following the Cambridge game down my throat and I could not be happier, if that is what it takes I will slag them off every time they mess up. I still think we have to accept that One result does not make everything rosy, consistency is the key and so far that is where we have failed although we are now looking at a run of One defeat in Eight in all competitions, it is imperative that we follow this win up with victory at home to Fleetwood Town on Saturday, anything else would take the gloss off this emphatic win and render it pointless.

Having thumped Doncaster for Six and Portsmouth for Four it would appear we need fear no-one and things were very much on the up, which of course could be the case, however, not to dampen the mood I have to say that I feel Donny & pompey are Two of the worst teams I have seen in many a long day and as such we haven't beaten very much, equally you can only beat what is in front of you and we did that in style. I am looking forward to the impending battles with Plymouth, Wycombe and Sunderland, if we can do a demolition job on One of those then I will really start to think that just maybe we are turning into the real deal.

As said next up is Fleetwood Town who currently find themselves in Twentieth place and just above the drop zone, One victory in the last Six games has seen them slide down the table after a promising start to the campaign. Gerard Garner & Danny Andrew have been among the goals with Nine between them but like Town defence is where the issues lie. It would be a major surprise if the Cod Army's defence could hold the Town attack at bay and for that reason I am seeing thios as a comfortable Town win to keep the good run going and to push us further up the league table, anything less and I'll be slagging them off again big time !!! COYB'S

The Opposition – Fleetwood Town

The current club was officially established in 1997 but, in two previous incarnations, the club's history dates back to 1908. The original club, Fleetwood F.C., were champions of the Lancashire Combination in 1923–24, and registered a hat-trick of Lancashire Combination Cup wins in 1932, 1933 and 1934. The side's goalkeeper in the first of those victories was Frank Swift, then only eighteen years old. After almost sixty years as a Lancashire Combination club, they were made founder members of the Northern Premier League in 1968. The club finished in 10th place in its first season. As the NPL was one of several leagues immediately below Division Four of the Football League, this was effectively the fifth tier of English football, and the club would not surpass this success until 2010–11. Despite winning the Northern Premier League Cup in 1971, the club languished in the lower half of the table, finishing bottom for two successive seasons (1974–75 and 1975–76) and folded in 1976 because of financial difficulties. Its great players include the late Percy Ronson, after whom one stand is named.

The club was re-established in 1977 as Fleetwood Town F.C., with many of the original personnel. Initially placed in Division One of the Cheshire League, it was moved in 1982 to the North West Counties League Division Two in its inaugural year, and promoted to Division One in 1984. The team reached the final of the FA Vase in 1985, losing 3–1 to Halesowen Town in front of a 16,000 crowd at Wembley. The club was placed in Division One (second tier) of the Northern Premier League when the league established a second tier in 1987, becoming the inaugural Division One Champions in 1988. In 1990–91 the club finished fourth in the NPL Premier Division, at the time effectively the sixth tier. However, by 1996, this second club had also folded.

Re-formed in 1997 as Fleetwood Wanderers, the club was placed back in Division One of the North West Counties Football League (now the tenth tier of the English League system) and a sponsorship deal saw the club's name immediately changed to Fleetwood Freeport F.C.. The club was promoted to the Premier Division of the North West Counties League in 1999 and renamed Fleetwood Town F.C. in 2002. Tony Greenwood was appointed manager in 2003; soon afterward, Andy Pilley took over as chairman. Successive promotions, as North West Counties League champions in 2005 and Northern Premier League First Division runners-up in 2006, saw the club reach the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Fleetwood Town won the Northern Premier League Challenge Cup in the 2006–07 season, beating Matlock Town 1–0, and finished the season in eighth place with 67 points.

In the 2007–08 season Fleetwood won the Northern Premier League, gaining promotion to the Conference North. Along the way they set a new attendance record for the division, and were easily the best-supported team in the Premier Division.

Fleetwood started the 2008–09 Conference North season poorly; with the club at the bottom of the league, manager Tony Greenwood, along with his assistant, Nigel Greenwood and coach Andy Whittaker, were sacked. Greenwood was replaced by Micky Mellon. His position at Fleetwood was made full-time in January 2009, a first for the club.

The demise of Farsley Celtic partway through the 2009–10 was detrimental to Fleetwood's campaign, as Farsley's entire 2009–10 playing record was expunged. Fleetwood were chasing promotion along with near neighbours Southport, and the ruling cost Fleetwood three points relative to Southport. Fleetwood appealed against the decision but the appeal was rejected the day before the last match of the season, leaving Southport one point ahead. Both teams won on the final day, giving Southport the championship. Fleetwood instead had to contest the play-offs, and after beating Droylsden on penalties in the semi-final Fleetwood won promotion to the Football Conference by beating Alfreton Town 2–1 in the final.

For the 2010–11 season the club made all of its players full-time professionals, though this resulted in a few players leaving the club, including club captain Jamie Milligan. The club spent most of the season in or near the play-off positions, eventually qualifying by finishing in fifth place. In the play-off semi-finals, against Wimbledon, a new attendance record of 4,112 was set in the home leg, but Fleetwood lost both games with an 8–1 aggregate scoreline.

Fleetwood's 2011–12 season was very successful, Fleetwood went on a 29-game unbeaten run, and were declared champions with two games remaining, giving them promotion to the Football League for the first time. At the end of the season Vardy moved to Leicester City for a fee of £1m, which subsequently rose to £1.7m—a record transfer fee for a non-league club.

Fleetwood had a good start to the 2012–13 season, and had risen to third in the league after 10 games. However, they only won two of the next 10 games, slipping to sixth position; chairman Andy Pilley and manager Micky Mellon fell out, after Mellon allegedly applied for the Burnley and Blackpool managerial vacancies. On 1 December 2012, following a 3–2 defeat against Aldershot in the FA Cup, Mellon was sacked as manager of the League Two side. Graham Alexander was appointed manager on 6 December 2012. Fleetwood were unbeaten for the next five games, and after a steady run of results had risen back to fourth place after 11 games. However, Fleetwood only won two of the remaining 15 games, and consequently slipped down the table to finish 13th in League Two; this resulted in a large rebuilding of the squad.

The 2013–14 season was another successful one. Having been in and around the automatic promotion places all season and getting to the League Trophy area final, the club narrowly missed out on automatic promotion, finishing in fourth place. After beating York City in the play-off semi-final, Fleetwood beat Burton Albion 1–0 from an Antoni Sarcevic free-kick in the play-off final at Wembley on 26 May to win promotion to League One for the first time.

Playing at the club's highest level, the 2014–15 season was very successful. After three games the team was top of the league for two games, and apart from a couple of games remained in the top half of the league all season, eventually finishing in a very creditable 10th place. Also in 2014, the club purchased a 57-bedroom hotel in Blackpool for the youth team; the following year, the club started to move into its new training ground in Thornton.

2015–16 was a difficult season. In July 2015, chairman Andy Pilley announced that the club's strategic direction would move more towards a self-sustaining model utilizing the development and sell-on of home-grown talent, rather than buying in players to attempt to climb the league pyramid further. The playing budget was trimmed heavily.

After a poor start to the season with only two wins in 10 league matches, Graham Alexander was sacked on 30 September 2015, with the club one point above the relegation zone. On 6 October 2015 Steven Pressley was appointed manager. After a season flirting with the relegation zone, Pressley guided the club to safety, five points above the relegation zone, with 10 wins in 35 league matches and an appearance in the league trophy northern area final. On 20 April 2016, Sir Alex Ferguson officially opened the club's £8m Poolfoot farm training ground complex with 18 pitches including a floodlit 4G artificial pitch, gym, cafe, bar, offices, etc.

Just before the start of the 2016–17 season, on 26 July 2016, Steven Pressley resigned from his position as manager. Uwe Rösler was appointed manager on 30 July 2016 who guided the club to its highest ever finish in 4th place but was narrowly beaten 1–0 by Bradford City in the play off semi-final.

However in the 2017–18 season Uwe Rosler was sacked on 17 February 2018 after seven straight defeats in all competitions with the club just outside the relegation zone by goal difference. On 22 February 2018 John Sheridan was appointed manager on a short term contract until the end of the season who successfully guided the club away from relegation and finished mid table in 14th place.

At the beginning of 2018–19 season Joey Barton was appointed manager on 2 June 2018 who guided the club to a 11th place with victories over local rivals Blackpool and giants Sunderland.

The 2019-20 season was unusual in two ways. First, the global coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19) caused an early end to the regular season in March 2020. Second, the expulsion of Bury F.C. in August 2019 from the English Football League (EFL) for financial reasons meant the season started with only 23 clubs. Teams that were in promotion playoff positions when regular matches were abandoned went on to play the playoff matches in July 2020. Fleetwood Town were in 6th position and in a positive run, being unbeaten since losing to Burton Albion on the 7th January. However, they lost to Wycombe Wanderers 6-3 on aggregate in semi-final matches played in empty stadiums.

The 2020–21 season was also overshadowed by coronavirus with matches played behind closed doors for the vast majority of fixtures. On 4 January 2021, Joey Barton was sacked as manager with Fleetwood in 10th place with chairman Andy Pilley describing the decision as "a tough one for me to make, but I felt now was the right time for the club to go in a different direction." Barton was replaced by Simon Grayson who guided Fleetwood to a 15th place finish.

The Manager – Simon Grayson

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 13th place with 17 points

28 Sep Ipswich Town 6 - 0 Doncaster

2 Oct Accrington 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

9 Oct Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Shrewsbury

16 Oct Cambridge Utd 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

19 Oct Portsmouth 0 - 4 Ipswich Town

Fleetwood Town Last 5 Matches – Currently in 20th place with 13points

28 Sep Milton Keynes 3 - 3 Fleetwood

2 Oct Fleetwood 1 - 2 Charlton

9 Oct Accrington pp. Fleetwood

16 Oct Fleetwood 3 - 0 Crewe Alexandra

19 Oct Fleetwood 0 - 1 Burton Albion

Match Referee – Sam Allison

IPSWICH TOWN 2 FLEETWOOD TOWN 0

Shed on tour

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:58 pm

For me this has to be a win otherwise last nights result will be yet again be a case of a false dawn.
Really want the team and PC to be successful but still not convinced that we have turned the corner. By full time Saturday week we should have a better idea of whether this is the case or not.
Town 3 Fleetwood 1

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 pm

I think we'll win this one with relative ease. For that reason, I've voted for a draw. My track record of voting for town wins has almost always been wrong!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:47 am

I think we should stick with the team that beat Portsmouth. No reason to tweak, injuries aside. I like the next man up approach and I hope Cook sticks with it. For example, if Burgess can’t handle the shift…get him the f*ck out of the starting line up. Totally agree with playing players who perform. As many have said, consistency is key. If we beat Fleetwood, I’ll feel better about the season. Still a long way to go…but it’s time to win.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:40 am

Like others I think this is a “ must win” game for us, simply because to be serious about promotion we have to get up the league and in and around that top six. Fleetwood however will not be a push over and we will need to win the individual battles all over the pitch.

Town win ( 2-0) , but a really tough game.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Another great preview, and a cutting edge mood towards the victories to come…… “taking gloss off the emphatic wins” if its a draw or loss. Thats kick arse words……. But….,, if it works, then yep 🤷‍♂️, put the boot up their arses.

Watched highlights and it just has to be a win vs Blue Square, Vauxhall, Vanarama Division 8 North, section H, Fleetwood. Again, resisting a prediction but anything less than 5-0 and, well….. 🤷‍♂️, pull yer fingers out, guys!

Ref:
HEADLINE:
FAITHLESS QUITS MUSIC TO BE REF.
So, Faithless….. why?
Well, suffering from “Insomnia”… thought the football on offer in L1 would help.

Grayson caption.

Reporter: “For goodness sake, Simon. My 90 year old father could do a better job.”
Simon: “No, reporter. I …. AM …… YOUR FATHER.”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:24 pm

There is a Fleetwood vote up there! :shock:

Did this voter not see Fratton Park highlights?

Not being horrible towards anyone, honest……., but, FFS…… negative bstd!!! :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:24 pm

Has to be Rossi?

To be fair…. any result has to be possible with this team.

I’m going for a comfortable win 2-0 or 3-0. We’ve never had back-to-back league wins under Cook. Got to happen sometime and I think it’s about time we did.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:47 pm

marko69 wrote:

Ah, but is it someone voting Fleetwood to prevent jinxing an ITFC win? I know that a draw is an option too. I have not predicted either way, purely for that reason.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:06 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:14 pm
marko69 wrote:

Has to be Rossi?

I’m going for a comfortable win 2-0 or 3-0. We’ve never had back-to-back league wins under Cook. Got to happen sometime and I think it’s about time we did.
Yes, it was me.

Yes, I did watch the game at Fratton Park on ifollow.

I voted for an away win based partly on our home form so far this season, and partly that I was not impressed at all with Portsmouth on Tuesday - 3 of our 4 goals were down to poor goalkeeping and I expect Fleetwood to provide much sterner opposition that Portsmouth did. Not that I should have to justify the way I voted to anybody - I thought the idea of a poll was for people to express their opinions. Obviously only if it's what the majority think that opinion should be - well, if that's the case you can shove it, I will not be voting any more

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:12 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:06 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:14 pm
marko69 wrote:

Has to be Rossi?

Yes, it was me.

Yes, I did watch the game at Fratton Park on ifollow.

I voted for an away win based partly on our home form so far this season, and partly that I was not impressed at all with Portsmouth on Tuesday - 3 of our 4 goals were down to poor goalkeeping and I expect Fleetwood to provide much sterner opposition that Portsmouth did. Not that I should have to justify the way I voted to anybody - I thought the idea of a poll was for people to express their opinions. Obviously only if it's what the majority think that opinion should be - well, if that's the case you can shove it, I will not be voting any more
Sorry, Rossi. Was meant in a tongue in cheek way. No need to take offence.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:36 pm

Just posted my vote, not saying what I've gone for, hoping its not TWO obvious!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:44 pm

I’M SPARTACUS!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:55 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:36 pm
Wanker 🤣🤣🤣😉

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:44 pm

Surely got to get back to back wins but another banana skin match

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:05 am

Just believe we got too much firepower or goal sources to take care of the opposition. The defense has been questionable but we have attack options that have been crying for seasons and then some. Simple math, we have to - and will - score more than they can hope to achieve.

Promotion seemed very distant / vague only a few short weeks back but there's evidently an opportunity ahead to make it back to Championship level. All it requires is momentum, discipline and belief. Eradicate the defensive deficiencies and the rest will take care of itself. Voted to win, no result is a given but got to be quietly confident once again.

ITFC 2 Fleetwood 0

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:11 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:41 pm
Don't pander to this humduggery, Tangfastic, for goodness sake! :evil: Said before that its an anonymous vote and that's TWICE the poster has chose to reveal it is him. You shove it and go shake yourself, Rossi with your buffoonery. :twisted:
spoken like a true mod :| :| :|

Where does it say that he vote is anonymous? Cos I don't see it anywhere (maybe I'm not looking hard enough). Does the fact that most comments on the matchday threads include either how the poster voted or what they think the score will be render the vote anonymous? I don't think so.

Seems to me you're making up he rules as you go along. Does that - along with your personal insults to me - classify you as a bit of a keyboard warrior? :wink: hmmm....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:27 am

Its anonymous. 🤷‍♂️

There are no names beside the votes. Different if it was one of those polls where a list of names is beside the choices. Some football, NFL, AFL sports forums have polls regarding bigger questions than W L or D and the names generate discussion.

And to be fair, my “neg bstd” had a smiley after it, and TF’s “must be Rossi” was clearly a joke.

I say “dont pander” but you’re correct….. the mod gig requires it. 🤦‍♂️ And i’ll go delete the post and Balls’ reply.

And err…… i know you’ll scroll wheel past most of my contributions but my content is several country miles from KW. Definitely not one of those.
If we were having a beer together and you went onto the forum and said,
“Check this out Marko, theyre taking the p*ss out of my vote.”
Id say, “Theyre taking the p*ss out of A VOTE….. ITS ANONYMOUS!!”
👍👌

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:26 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:55 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Wanker 🤣🤣🤣😉
Hang on Mike, it was only 4 days ago you wanted Cookie sacked.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:50 am

I'd never say such a thing! 🤣
That said watch this space 5pm Saturday

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:50 am
You’ll be ok this weekend after we’ve won 3-2.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:05 pm

With Town the second highest goal scorers in the EFL after Fulham, and Macauley Bonne the joint second highest individual goal scorer in the EFL, things have most certainly changed at Portman Rosd after years of being starved of goals. To be honest I don’t even mind being starved of clean sheets as long as we score one goal more than the opposition, at least it’s entertaining albeit nervy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:40 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:44 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:50 am
You’ll be ok this weekend after we’ve won 3-2.
Funnily enough I'm fancying 3-1 myself

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Brett Johnson will be at the game …. Hope we “turn up” we have a history of not doing so when its seemed obvious we will or should lol

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 pm

I just hope the fans give him a great Portman Road reception 👏👏👏 and the Cookie haters stay at home.

I know the results haven’t gone our way as often as we would have liked but I just love watching this team develop and I strongly believe the future under PC will be good and the pain along the way worthwhile.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Wanker 🤣🤣🤣😉
Did it for a laugh after a few beers, really going for a town win . 1-0

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:11 pm

I’m so looking forward to this game tomorrow. No golf to get in the way after three days golfing away this week, and we’re due our first heavy rain since April. Just hoping and 🙏 ifollow is working and town score at least one more goal than Fleetwood, the more the better.
For some reason I have 3-2 on my radar but I’ll happily take 1-0.
COYB’s

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:14 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Wanker 🤣🤣🤣😉
Nice one No 1, it doesn’t take much to wind up our BlueMike but he does take it in good spirit, well most of the time. 🤣

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:14 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

Wanker 🤣🤣🤣😉
Nice one No 1, it doesn’t take much to wind up our BlueMike but he does take it in good spirit, well most of the time. 🤣
:lol: :lol:
Takes it in good spirit ? I'm slipping 😆

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:06 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:14 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:

:lol: :lol:
Takes it in good spirit ? I'm slipping 😆
It’s all this Moderator responsibility turning you soft. 🤣🤣🤣🤣