League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we on the start of a roll?

Ipswich Win
82%
Fleetwood Win
9%
Draw
9%

Total votes: 22

Ricco

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 pm

Yes, as their goal difference suggests, Fleetwood should be closer to mid table than where they are, not a bad 3 points. And great to be able to take points late from opposition for once!!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:41 pm
This was actually a better result than the one at Pompey IMO. Fleetwood are actually a bette4 team than Pompey. Very well organised and know how to knock the ball around themselves. A bloody good 3 points IMO, and NO game in this division is easy or a dead cert.

I just wish some of the twonks on TWTD, or the Prat that left early moaning as he walked past me and Mike that
“ nothing’s changed, and ….the same old shyte”, could actually understand what this division is really all about.

I’m glad that prat who left early missed the winner and the mad celebrations that took place for several minutes after we’d scored in the 3rd minute of injury time. THATS what supporting Town is all about, and he deserved to miss “ that” feeling at the end.

COYBs 💙🥂🥳
Aye i love it when these characters miss the winner.
Beat Plymouth and top 2 is back on the radar

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:39 pm
As I said we got away with it today, aside from that his contribution was poor
Paul Cook definitely got away with it. Jaysus H, if that had finished 1-1………. Would’ve been one helluva different hymn sheet across the forums.

Cook needs to master a good run of games now. Get rid of this “job by the skin of teeth” label which has been attached to him.

Not easy v Plymouth …… it’ll be regarded as a big game though. Must be biggest game that day.,

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:11 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 pm
It’s a really tough run of games to be fair.I reckon any of the top six clubs would struggle with that if it was their run of matches.

I’d settle for a draw at some of them and the odd win at others.
Ipswich are a championship team at minimum, time to do the business at the likes of Plymouth and Wycombe.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 pm

There simply aren’t many easy games in this Division and each one has a potential for defeat. Look at Sunderland today, undefeated at The Stadium of Light all season, host relegation threatened Charlton with only 2 wins to their name and no clean sheets and they win 0-1. How do you start to explain that one, it certainly has nothing to do with position in the league table.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:52 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:41 pm
This was actually a better result than the one at Pompey IMO. Fleetwood are actually a bette4 team than Pompey. Very well organised and know how to knock the ball around themselves. A bloody good 3 points IMO, and NO game in this division is easy or a dead cert.

I just wish some of the twonks on TWTD, or the Prat that left early moaning as he walked past me and Mike that
“ nothing’s changed, and ….the same old shyte”, could actually understand what this division is really all about.

I’m glad that prat who left early missed the winner and the mad celebrations that took place for several minutes after we’d scored in the 3rd minute of injury time. THATS what supporting Town is all about, and he deserved to miss “ that” feeling at the end.

COYBs 💙🥂🥳
I’m with you all the way Liz, that was a good win today against a very well organised team that had scored 10 goals in their previous 4 away games and have held Plymouth, Sunderland and MK Dons to draws, and won 2-4 at Rotherham all sides above Town in the table. I just don’t understand some fans unrealistic expectations, they just look at a league table and make assumptions simply based on League position only and that’s really dumb.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:08 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:45 pm
Well the next 5 league games should give us a indication on whether this recent revival in form is for real or not as we play 5 of the current top 6. Time to step up to the plate guys.
Our form over the past 8 games is up there with the best in this Division and currently better than Plymouth, Sunderland and Oxford United and only one point less than Rotherham and two less than Wycombe Wanderers. We don’t need fear anybody at the moment just carry on as we are and we’ll be up there in the mix come the end of the season. We’ve stepped up a gear already and there will be more teams worrying about playing us than there are teams we need worry about. Of course we won’t win them all and there will be surprises along the way. Just sit back and enjoy because this transition has started to flourish.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:12 pm

I’m a bit concerned with all these matches coming up with top 6 teams, and Morsy’s yellow card count now at 4 I believe. Won’t he be suspended after another yellow? And, who could fill his role in the midfield if he does get suspended??

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:17 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:11 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 pm
It’s a really tough run of games to be fair.I reckon any of the top six clubs would struggle with that if it was their run of matches.

I’d settle for a draw at some of them and the odd win at others.
Ipswich are a championship team at minimum, time to do the business at the likes of Plymouth and Wycombe.
Quite agree VR …. We have to come of age at some point , maybe it’s the next 4-5 games . We’ll see 🤞

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:21 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:08 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:45 pm
Well the next 5 league games should give us a indication on whether this recent revival in form is for real or not as we play 5 of the current top 6. Time to step up to the plate guys.
Our form over the past 8 games is up there with the best in this Division and currently better than Plymouth, Sunderland and Oxford United and only one point less than Rotherham and two less than Wycombe Wanderers. We don’t need fear anybody at the moment just carry on as we are and we’ll be up there in the mix come the end of the season. We’ve stepped up a gear already and there will be more teams worrying about playing us than there are teams we need worry about. Of course we won’t win them all and there will be surprises along the way. Just sit back and enjoy because this transition has started to flourish.
Don’t know how this will come out :
Form table league one is

2021-2022 Form Tables

League One Form Table

Last Result: 23-Oct-2021
Last 6Last 10HomeAway
League One Form (Last 6)
Pos Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Wycombe 6 5 1 0 12 5 7 16
2 Rotherham 6 4 2 0 13 2 11 14
3 Ipswich 6 4 1 1 17 6 11 13
4 Oxford Utd 6 4 1 1 14 7 7 13
5 Wigan 6 4 0 2 12 4 8 12
6 Plymouth 6 3 3 0 12 6 6 12
7 Sunderland 6 4 0 2 12 6 6 12
8 Burton Albion 6 3 1 2 9 9 0 10
9 Sheff Wed 6 2 3 1 8 7 1 9
10 Lincoln City 6 2 2 2 7 8 -1 8
11 Accrington Stanley 6 2 2 2 11 14 -3 8
12 Gillingham 6 2 1 3 6 8 -2 7
13 Charlton 6 2 1 3 9 12 -3 7
14 MK Dons 6 2 1 3 7 10 -3 7
15 Bolton 6 2 1 3 8 12 -4 7
16 Shrewsbury 6 2 0 4 8 9 -1 6
17 Cheltenham 6 2 0 4 6 13 -7 6
18 Doncaster 6 2 0 4 6 14 -8 6
19 Fleetwood Town 6 1 2 3 10 10 0 5
20 Morecambe 6 1 2 3 12 14 -2 5
21 Portsmouth 6 1 2 3 10 14 -4 5
22 AFC Wimbledon 6 1 2 3 5 10 -5 5
23 Cambridge Utd 6 0 4 2 8 13 -5 4
24 Crewe 6 0 3 3 5 13 -8 3

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:25 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 pm
Look at Sunderland today, undefeated at The Stadium of Light all season, host relegation threatened Charlton with only 2 wins to their name and no clean sheets and they win 0-1. How do you start to explain that one
Tin foil hat alert:

Illuminati !!

HUGE cash to be made for the Betfairs, Bet365’s, Paddypowers etc etc. …… there must be a few good & proper coupon bursters every week to make more money for the powers who own “The World”.

“Frank here, yeah, make sure Sunderland get that £2Mil for today. Big help. Put the £708mil made on Sunderland based bets in the bank account number ending 1142.”

“Isn't that the covid vaccine account?”

“No no no, that ends 1077. You cant mistake them, …… there is over 100bill in that account.”

Sorry, :lol:, had a couple beers and a conspiracy chat with the husband of one of the wife's friends. A real eye opener! 🤦‍♂️

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:38 am

Win and draw from the next 2 games and I'll be over the moon. We have to be picking up points against the top sides if we are going to close the gap on them. No good relying on the Charlton's of this world to create banana skins, even if it will happen from time to time, as it will happen to us too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:12 pm
I’m a bit concerned with all these matches coming up with top 6 teams, and Morsy’s yellow card count now at 4 I believe. Won’t he be suspended after another yellow? And, who could fill his role in the midfield if he does get suspended??
I was watching him yesterday and he definitely lacks a little when it comes to self discipline. I love his passion and energy but given his captaincy and importance on the pitch he could do with just a tad more self control as he’s no use suspended.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:53 am

Form last 8 games looks pretty good too.

Form Guide - Last 8 Matches

1 Wycombe Wand 8 +7 19
2 Rotherham U 8 +13 18
3 Wigan Athletic 8 +12 18
4 Ipswich Town 8 +12 17
5 Sunderland 8 +7 16
6 Plymouth Argy 8 +7 16
7 Oxford United 8 +6 14
8 MKeynes Dons 8 +1 13

Although it doesn’t say much for our first 5 games it highlight the progress Paul Cook has made developing the squad.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:38 am
Win and draw from the next 2 games and I'll be over the moon. We have to be picking up points against the top sides if we are going to close the gap on them. No good relying on the Charlton's of this world to create banana skins, even if it will happen from time to time, as it will happen to us too.
Spot on Dubai. This is what I meant by my comment it is time to step up to the plate. Due to our start to the season we have left ourselves in a position where we can’t afford to have a poor run of results in the next 5 games as if we do we will find ourselves back in the same position regarding in trying to catch the top 6 as we were earlier in the season.
Tbh if we were offered 9 points from the next 5 games I would snap their hands off.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:11 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 am
Dubai Blue wrote:
Spot on Dubai. This is what I meant by my comment it is time to step up to the plate. Due to our start to the season we have left ourselves in a position where we can’t afford to have a poor run of results in the next 5 games as if we do we will find ourselves back in the same position regarding in trying to catch the top 6 as we were earlier in the season.

Tbh if we were offered 9 points from the next 5 games I would snap their hands off.
I think we all would Shed. Looking even further ahead to December I see we have Wigan (2nd), Sunderland (4th) & Wycombe (3rd) as three of five fixtures, all of a sudden this League doesn’t look straightforward.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:33 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:11 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

I really feel that the results leading up to Christmas will have a big influence on how the season pans out for us.
Usually from mid March to the end of the season is talked about being the business end but it seems like we have reached that point earlier this season. For me if we can stay close to the top 6 after these group of games then we could very well push on in the 2nd half of the season.
This was what I meant by stepping up to the plate as although our form has certainly improved over the last 8 games I believe we will need to take our performances up to another level to achieve what we all want over the next couple of months.

I think we all would Shed. Looking even further ahead to December I see we have Wigan (2nd), Sunderland (4th) & Wycombe (3rd) as three of five fixtures, all of a sudden this League doesn’t look straightforward.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:37 pm

These upcoming games look really formidable.

We’re really going to find out a lot about ourselves.

Pleased we kept hanging in there to get the winner. Maybe we have found some bottle.

Best case scenario- we’ve come into form at the right time to face the best teams and we can win some six-pointers (if we’re allowed to call them six-pointers).
Worst case is our soft underbelly is still there and we get found out big time. Could be we have to give up on automatic promotion somewhere in November.

Probably somewhere in between. Sixth place is getting closer, but we need for some of these teams to slip up. Wycombe and Rotherham look strong and know this league inside out. You feel it’s only a matter of time before Sunderland grab their chance.
The team has definitely improved, but still haven’t got the faith yet that we can go into the last 10-15 mins to hold onto a slender lead.

Still some issues to sort out. Not sure that Edwards will keep his place. Obvious one to come in for him is Celina. I just hope that goal has given him a lift because he was terrible before that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:26 pm

Said to MIke Saturday I’d much rather have Burns in side than Edwards. Edwards always seems to lose the ball . Clearly opponents have sussed him to a large degree and double up on him . He tries one flash move too many and loses the ball . Burns is much for direct and commits the left back. Much more effective IMO.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:26 pm

100% Liz, Wes Burns would be in my starting line up every game unless there was a good reason to leave him out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:32 pm

Burns has been the best player all season, Chaplin is fast becoming a must pick too.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:22 pm

OK, I can go along with that, Burns, Chaplin, Morsy and Donacian, that’s four of eleven nailed on. Who else would we ink in on our team sheet ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:22 pm
OK, I can go along with that, Burns, Chaplin, Morsy and Donacian, that’s four of eleven nailed on. Who else would we ink in on our team sheet ?
Well obviously Bonne. Nsiala probably. Edmundson? Is Walton the #1 now? I’m not sold on Penney, but I don’t think there’s anyone better. I’d like to see Pigott get more game time, but not at the expense of Bonne.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 pm

In my opinion the sooner we can get about 8 regular nailed on starters the sooner we’ll get consistency. I definitely think we’re heading in the right direction and my faith in Cookie still isn’t waning.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm

I think Burns, Chaplin, Donacien, Nsiala, Edmundson, Morsy, Bonne are pretty much nailed on starters, Walton probably now regarded as the Number One, that's Eight places taken, I think Coulsen will come in for Penney when fit.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:44 pm
I think Burns, Chaplin, Donacien, Nsiala, Edmundson, Morsy, Bonne are pretty much nailed on starters, Walton probably now regarded as the Number One, that's Eight places taken, I think Coulsen will come in for Penney when fit.
I’d happily take that Mike. I think Cookie is getting there, he certainly has my support and is the first manager to have that for a long time.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:36 pm

At the moment Burns is not nailed on as Aluko has started. But both are great options.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:14 pm

Still not sure about the goalkeeping position. Tbh none of the 3 give me great confidence. Walton did ok Saturday although his kicking was poor at times. I expect him to keep his place at Plymouth.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:34 pm

Always assume Vaclav to be #1 choice for goal duties. Reason being Walton conceded what, five or six on his debut and would have hit his confidence hard and as for Holy, fans have kind of turned against the name and he's only been with us in a relatively short time.

I think the attack kind of takes care of other field positions. We have so many forward options and goals arrive now so frequent it's easy at times to overlook the players behind them and their collective responsibilities.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:07 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:14 pm
Still not sure about the goalkeeping position. Tbh none of the 3 give me great confidence. Walton did ok Saturday although his kicking was poor at times. I expect him to keep his place at Plymouth.
Looks like Holy is going out on loan to Cambridge so it's just 2 now :wink: