League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will we go against the current League leader?

Plymouth Win
28%
Ipswich Win
24%
Draw
48%

Total votes: 25

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:26 pm

Image Plymouth Argyle v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 30th October 2021 – 15:00

Home Park

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Back On Board..............

When Paul Cook first arrived at ITFC I was delighted, he was the name I had stated I wanted to be our next Manager, having got him here I was then over the moon at the way he swept the decks clean of all the dross, he took no prisoners and released us all from the utter abysmal and depressing state that bunch of players had left us in, I believed that him along with the new Owners, CEO and Chairman were a dream come true, finally things were going to change.

To say the opening weeks of the season didn't quite go to plan were an understatement, while we were never going to breeze the league by Twenty Five points I think most expected much much more in those opening games, to be second best to the likes Burton, Cheltenham & Bolton was not in the script. It came to a head for me at Cambridge as we surrendered a Two goal lead in a game we had looked in total control of, this on the back of several, shall we say, odd decisions by Paul Cook & Co. There is no getting away from it, I started to doubt Cook. For me bringing on attacking players to go and get a Third was ridiculous, it cried out for more defensive changes and for me had we done that we win that game.

Thankfully I have to say, the last Two games have gone a long way in reassuring me that he does know what he is doing, that he is the man to lead us forward and most importantly that he is the man to bring the glory days back to Portman Road. It's not just the fact we thrashed Portsmouth 4-0 or that we managed to grind out a last gasp win against Fleetwood, while the wins obviously help I think it is obvious to most that there is improvement, that partnerships are starting to form, that we are beginning to see who Cook regards as his mainstays of the team, the togetherness has never been in doubt but it looks so solid right now, players are playing for each other and the silly errors are becoming less and less. To sum up my doubts and mini wobble have been eased, I don't think a bad bout of Covid has helped my mindset at all either as for a few days everything was negative, Cambridge came at a terrible time and put the tin hat on it for me but now I am more than happy to see Cook take us forward and he has my full backing, so long as he stops the stupid decisions and substitutions etc.

I wonder just how much the mood changed when Bersant Celina popped up in the dying seconds to slam home the winner from Janoi Donacien's superb pass, a draw would have definitely felt like another Two points dropped from a winning position but the celebrations in the SBR lower were unbelievable, in fact not just the SBR stand but the whole ground celebrated for what seemed like an eternity, it was quite a moment and in my opinion no more than we deserved.

I thought it was written in the stars the way we grasped the victory right at the death in front of the watching Brett Johnson, Johnson is the first of our friends from over the pond to get over for a game and it is fair to say he lapped up every moment, we sent him home more than happy and already he is planning his return, hopefully with the "other Two" amigo's, I am sure he will have been impressed with the potential of the club, not to mention the gradual improvement on the pitch, there is no doubt in my mind that Johnson is seriously already in love with our great club and the involvement the new owners have is very real.

The Two wins last week have catapulted us into the Top Ten and a little bit closer to the play off zone, Four Points to be exact, our current form is up there with the best now too and Ten points from the last Twelve sounds impressive. Of course we need to keep it going given that we've given everyone a fair head start in the race. What better way is there to gauge how good we are than a trip to the surprise League Leaders Plymouth Argyle, while it may be a surprise it is certainly deserved as Plymouth have lost only One of their opening Fifteen matches and that was against Rotherham Utd who look nailed on to be in the mix. Plymouth have their very own MaCauley Bonne too as Ryan Hardie also sits on Ten goals for the season and will no doubt be their danger man, they are the second highest scorers in the division, only bettered by ourselves so goals could be the order of the day (goaless draw it is then), they are also pretty tight at the back having conceded less than a goal a game. make no mistake this is going to be a real test and a tough afternoon beckons, come away from this with a win and people will really sit up and start to take notice, we have players in form, Chaplin, Bonne, Burns, Donacien etc so why not go their and win !! Keeping my level headed hat on for a change I will go for a low scoring draw which would be a more than acceptable result and keeps the decent run going. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Plymouth Argyle

The club was founded in 1886 as Argyle Football Club, the first match taking place on 16 October 1886.

Much speculation surrounds the origin of the name Argyle. One explanation is that the club was named after the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, an army regiment with a strong football side of its own. Another theory is given by the local geography–suggesting the name comes either from the nearby public house, The Argyle Tavern, where the founder members may have met, or from a local street Argyle Terrace. The club adopted its current name when it became fully professional in 1903.

The club was disbanded 1894, before being resurrected in 1897 as one part of a general sports club, the Argyle Athletic Club. The club joined the Southern League, effectively the English 3rd tier, in 1903 becoming professional in the process. Argyle won the Southern League in 1912–13, then in 1920–21 entered the Football League Third Division as a founder member, along with most of the Southern League, where they finished 11th in their first season.

Between 1921–22 and 1926–27, Argyle finished second in the new Third Division South six seasons in a row, thereby missing promotion. Argyle eventually won promotion to Football League Division Two in 1929–30, when they topped the Third Division South, with attendances that season regularly reaching 20,000. Manager Bob Jack resigned in 1937, having spent a grand total of 27 years in charge of the Pilgrims.

Argyle's 20-year stay in Division Two came to an end in 1949–50 after finishing 21st – two points short of survival. They were back in Division Two before long, after winning the Third Division South in 1951–52.

The closest they ever came to playing in the Football League First Division (top tier) was in 1952–53, when they reached fourth place in the Football League Second Division, their highest finish to date. They were relegated again in 1955–56, just 3 points behind Notts County. The Pilgrim's reputation as a 'yo-yo club' continued after they won Division Three – by then a national league – in 1958–59. Argyle returned to Division Three after relegation in 1967–68.

After spending six years in Division Three, Argyle finally returned to Division Two in 1974–75, but they were back down again in 1976–77.

Since then, the team has wavered between the 2nd and 3rd tier, before being double relegated in 2010–11. That was directly due to the club having been declared insolvent, following which they were deducted the 10 points they needed for survival. The club returned to the 3rd tier after finishing second in 2016–17.

On 14 August 2018, it was announced that shareholder Simon Hallett had purchased part of James Brent's stake in the club, and had become the new majority shareholder and owner, and that former director, David Felwick, would return to the club as chairman when Brent stepped down on 31 October 2018. However, on 10 October 2018, it was reported that David Felwick was unable to take over as chairman, citing personal reasons, so on 1 November 2018, Hallett became both majority owner and chair of Plymouth Argyle.

On 5 June 2019, Ryan Lowe was announced as manager of Plymouth Argyle, guiding them to a third-place finish and an immediate return to League One in a season interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic in the United Kingdom.

Last season Plymouth finished in 18th place with 53 points.

The Manager – Ryan Lowe

Form Guide

Plymouth Argyle Last 5 Matches – Currently in 1st place with 30 points

2 Oct Lincoln City 2 - 2 Plymouth

9 Oct Plymouth 2 - 1 Burton Albion

16 Oct Oxford Utd 1 - 3 Plymouth

19 Oct Plymouth 3 - 0 Bolton

23 Oct Morecambe 1 - 1 Plymouth

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 10th place with 20 points

2 Oct Accrington 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

9 Oct Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Shrewsbury

16 Oct Cambridge Utd 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

19 Oct Portsmouth 0 - 4 Ipswich Town

23 Oct Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Fleetwood

Match Referee – Robert Lewis

PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

shabba

Re: League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:49 pm

Very hard to call this one, I was at the game last weekend and we didn’t exactly batter fleetwood, although we’re the better side.

I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet but we always have goals in us. A draw would be a decent result here.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:12 pm

A draw would be a very good result. We are on an upwards curve. We will continue to improve and climb the table.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:58 pm

Wish I was there for this one
Last edited by JohnnyB on Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:17 am

Great preview as ever - thanks Mike.

The game could go either way. I think both teams will score and it will be close, so going for a 2-2 draw. A win would be delightful, a narrow defeat no disgrace

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:42 am

Yep, excellent preview again……… and……. The Tale of Two Hats?! The Tin Hat & The level headed Hat?! :lol: Superb 👍

Definitely the biggest test of the season so far. Fans did think Fratton Park was the big test and that was dealt with, with ease. Plymouth definitely a different & bigger test. A lot of people will probably hop on board the Cookie bus if 3points are achieved @ Home Park. Personally I am one of the drawn votes in the anonymous poll above. Just offering that. But……… could be lying. 🤷‍♂️, might’ve voted win with a MacBonne hatrick. Or a loss vote with a Hardie Har-Har brace!
But, but, no —->> draw.

Ref & Ryan Lowe Caption;

Player; “What, Ref?”
Ref: “You stole my yellow & red cards?”
Lowe: “Ffs, ref. It was me. Here, take them!”

The opposition caption: (Extreme left hand side of picture, central, guy holding coat)
HEADLINE:
“MEVANS IN CORNWALL TO POSSIBLY PURCHASE PILGRIMS”

Bersant Celina pic caption:
(Woman far left & bottom in picture)
HEADLINE:
“LIZ LOOKS ON AND WONDERS IF MIKES DRINK WAS SPIKED AND HIS BELT STOLEN AS SHE WEARS HER NEW PURPLE COAT TO PORTMAN ROAD”

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:03 am

9 votes so far and only 1 going for a Town win. Think that shows just how difficult people think this game is going to be for Town (or that the majority of us know nothing about football! :lol:).
Like others I can see quite a few goals being scored in this game and will go for a 3-2 defeat for Town.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 am

I think we might nick a win but wouldn’t be surprised if we have to settle for a draw . Cannot see us not conceding a goal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:05 pm

They reached an FA Cup semi-final in 1984 and wasn't mentioned in the preview. Kind of strange to see the omission, some don't recognize them for much else.

voted for us to win, some seem real apprehensive about the trip but it's Plymouth Argyle we're facing, not the Hungarian team of the 1950's. Not overly worried, optimism is sometimes rare this end but believe the attack should take care of whatever they throw at us. Not always Cook's biggest fan but if he continues to put together victories you can't knock the individual.

PAFC 1 ITFC 3

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:15 pm

Going to be positive, who would of thought we would hope of a draw against PAFC!

Think we are on the up, hard fought 3 -2 win.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:14 pm

A win here and Town will really be building momentum at the right time.
Cut out the defensive lapses and I can see a Town victory. I'm going for 0-2 !!
Think a really big win is due and this will be it.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:22 pm

Well I've got us down for a win, but then I am a glass half full, semi delusional kinda tractorgirl!!! We are definitely starting to gel as a team and I hope that with the next few games we can make the rest of the league sit up and start to take notice of us as potential play off candidates at the least!

If there was one weekend this year I wish I was in the UK it would be this. Paul Mariner is my ITFC hero and to be there today, tonight at the charity bash and then tomorrow to support the girls would be amazing. So, if anyone is going, give an extra clap before the start for me and sing the songs about him loudly and proudly. #coyb #ipswichtilidie

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:33 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:03 am
9 votes so far and only 1 going for a Town win. Think that shows just how difficult people think this game is going to be for Town (or that the majority of us know nothing about football! :lol:).
Like others I can see quite a few goals being scored in this game and will go for a 3-2 defeat for Town.
I did my usual reverse psychology and voted a Plymouth win, as i did for Portsmouth :lol: . Particularly tough looking games i usually vote the same way, whereas games against lesser teams i tend not to vote!

Think this is probably one of the toughest games to predict so far, as possibly Lincoln and Pompey (originally typed Pimpey which made me chuckle! Oh the little things! :lol: ) are the only other stronger sides we have faced. The Pilgrims will certainly be confident enough that they will not lose this and therein lies our chance perhaps?
A 3-3 draw really wouldn't surprise me lol.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:23 pm

https://pasoti.co.uk/threads/prediction ... 270/page-3

Their fans thoughts are interesting, naturally they are fairly confident - mostly of narrow win. Some say they sometimes bottle it when they get big crowds (we can relate!).

As for the team I’d be tempted to keep Edwards on the left if Fraser is still out, then give Celina another 30mins.
I’d drop Aluko and bring in burns purely to then test burns and bring Aluko back on Tuesday, nice options to have!

Part of me would like to see piggott get a bit of time off the bench as we need to take the pressure of Bonne. I’m hoping we can use the Depth of this strong squad wisely over the next 2 difficult games to keep us fresh, a luxury other sides might not have.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:34 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:33 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:03 am
I did my usual reverse psychology and voted a Plymouth win, as i did for Portsmouth :lol: . Particularly tough looking games i usually vote the same way, whereas games against lesser teams i tend not to vote!

Think this is probably one of the toughest games to predict so far, as possibly Lincoln and Pompey (originally typed Pimpey which made me chuckle! Oh the little things! :lol: ) are the only other stronger sides we have faced. The Pilgrims will certainly be confident enough that they will not lose this and therein lies our chance perhaps?
A 3-3 draw really wouldn't surprise me lol.
I voted a loss, too. For the same reasons. If Rossi won’t vote us a loss anymore, then needs must. I think Plymouth will come out and give us a good game. I fear Wycombe more because they’re a nasty, physical long-ball team and they’ll test how soft our under-belly is.
Going for a 2-1 win, but any result is possible.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:02 pm

Gosh 3 at the back and coulsen or Penny at right wing back?! Odd!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:04 pm

With that team it's a defeat I'm afraid. Possibly a 3-5-2 though.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:14 pm

No idea what that teams about. Big injuries to Donacien, Aluko and Burns … been really good the last few games.

3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 with Coulson /Edwards as wide attackers and Woolf as RB?

Strange line-up. No sniff of KVY as well. Still injured?

These bloody injuries are incredible. Bench always looks thin when you have Jackson on there.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:19 pm

Let's hope some are missing because of illness just a pity we have a game on Tuesday.

JD and Burns out with illness phew!!!
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:20 pm

was thinking same thing Mike, think this is going to be interesting, hoping we do well and win but a draw would be a good result in this situation.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:23 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:14 pm
No idea what that teams about. Big injuries to Donacien, Aluko and Burns … been really good the last few games.

3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 with Coulson /Edwards as wide attackers and Woolf as RB?

Strange line-up. No sniff of KVY as well. Still injured?

These bloody injuries are incredible. Bench always looks thin when you have Jackson on there.
Possibly, but for me it has to be a 3-5-2, as soon as I saw the name Woolfenden I thought bugger we've lost this.

Donacien and Burns have possibly been our Two best players this season, Aluko a man in form too, I think this rubbishes the theory that the set up in the past was the cause for our long injury list, it's still happening now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:47 pm

Donacian & Burns reported as being ill, what shocking timing for our biggest game of the season so far. At least with a squad as strong as ours we should be able to deal with these situations but a real disappointment. I still think think a draw should be achievable, however with a few unplanned absentees this will be a notch more difficult than it might have been.
Fingers crossed I can find it on ifollow. Prediction 1-1

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:01 pm

Nice touch from the home crowd regarding mariner.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:06 pm

Bonne open-ish goal from 5 yards

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Cook is going to start with two up front, hell what is the world coming to. Can't complain though, our strength in attack accommodates such a deployment.

Seen the starting XI and bench although would have preferred Chaplin up front instead of Edwards. The defense looks a little suspect and we've had problems before keeping opposition sides out. Walton in goal, people say he's improved since his debut so will allow the kid his opportunity.

Should be near underway about now, trying to game commentary but it's tough to say the least. We can beat these today, injuries or not. Go for it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:09 pm

How the hell is it still 0-0

Both teams could so easily have scored in the first 2 mins.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:11 pm

Bonne effort cleared off the line ffs

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:11 pm
Bonne effort cleared off the line ffs
Shockingly poor finishing, should have struck it first time and bust the back of the net.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:18 pm

Get in there. Great dinked cross from morsy.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:18 pm

Get in!!!