Use of VPN

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Use of VPN

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:57 am

Just thought I’d ask the question about using these since this season ifollow have decidedly that fans will not have access to Saturday games,( which I think is a big mistake commercially tbh but also suspect Sky have something to do with this block too - the arse holes)

There are several vpn companies about which if you sign up to one ( don’t know if you can do it match by match or have to do yearly), but my understanding is going through a vpn hides your IP address and you can effectively “ use” an overseas server ie say in the USA and there sign into ifollow and watch the game.

What I don’t know is as I’m already registered with ifollow , would I need to register again using a different name and email account?

Any info greatly received … fank q x

arana peligrosa

Re: Use of VPN

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Kind of related but relevant nonetheless, wish to change email contact and password for here but think somehow it can jeopardize an entire account.

Case in point, one or two users tried this in recent years and lost all their hitherto posts total and start date and were forced to begin from zero. I don't wish to join that minority so any pointers or info would be useful.

don't use Ifollow (as yet) despite careful consideration so unable to really assist on the immediate topic. Apologies.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:47 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:57 am
Just thought I’d ask the question about using these since this season ifollow have decidedly that fans will not have access to Saturday games,( which I think is a big mistake commercially tbh but also suspect Sky have something to do with this block too - the arse holes)

There are several vpn companies about which if you sign up to one ( don’t know if you can do it match by match or have to do yearly), but my understanding is going through a vpn hides your IP address and you can effectively “ use” an overseas server ie say in the USA and there sign into ifollow and watch the game.

What I don’t know is as I’m already registered with ifollow , would I need to register again using a different name and email account?

Any info greatly received … fank q x
Effectively you would have to re-register with ITFC AND IFollow using a different email address AND you would have to complete that registration whilst connected to the overseas vpn (as any company would check your ip address to make sure it matches to the country you say you are in).

There are many companies that offer this vpn service, and most of them charge monthly - but a word of warning, over the years companies such as Sky and BBC have built up a database of ip addresses used by these vpn companies, so if they discover the one you are using then you would no longer be able to log on (as your ip would be blocked)

kevkeates

Post by kevkeates » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:35 pm

Hey gents, having recently been through all this I thought I'd share my wisdom.
I still use my same iFollow account that I've always had and i use a VPN service called Windscribe which has been faultless for the couple of games I've watched on Saturday afternoons.
Windscribe offer you some free bandwidth on sign up, then if you confirm your email they up the bandwidth which is more than enough for a couple of games, then if you tweet them (info in your account overview) they add even more. Use this referral link and we can get even more bandwidth:

https://windscribe.com/yo/lzpth891

On game day you need to connect to the VPN, I find New York or any east coast city to work well, buy your game pass (I always use Paypal to pay for it as well) then about 5/10 min before the game if you don't see the match available, temporarily disconnect your VPN, refresh your browser, the game link should appear, reconnect VPN click on the link and enjoy.

Hope this helps.

COME ON YOU BLUES!!!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks for that info guys.

My understanding is that use of vpn is not actually illegal. It appears from what others have said , is some have been using them for years for all kinds of media streaming whilst screening their IP from view.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:33 pm

I subscribe annually to ExpressVPN which works exceptionally well, however some larger organisations appear to have software which can detect the use of VPN’s, the most recent example being Ladbrokes who have now blocked me from using my account. My advice would be to take a 1 month trial with one of the top providers ( I’d definitely recommend ExpressVPN) before paying any subscription.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:14 am

saint jude wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:17 pm
Kind of related but relevant nonetheless, wish to change email contact and password for here but think somehow it can jeopardize an entire account.

Case in point, one or two users tried this in recent years and lost all their hitherto posts total and start date and were forced to begin from zero. I don't wish to join that minority so any pointers or info would be useful.

don't use Ifollow (as yet) despite careful consideration so unable to really assist on the immediate topic. Apologies.
PM me the details SJ and I will get this change for you mate.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:12 pm

Frosty wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:14 am
saint jude wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:17 pm

PM me the details SJ and I will get this change for you mate.
Acknowledged. Shall submit information by end of weekend. There's a game underway right now which is the primary focus.