Can we break an Ipswich Town goal scoring record that’s stood for 66 years.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Can we break an Ipswich Town goal scoring record that’s stood for 66 years.

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:15 pm

At the moment only Fulham have scored more goals across all 4 of the English Leagues than Paul Cooks Ipswich Town.

Our goal scoring record was set in 1955/56 season when Town played in the English League Third Division South. Town finished the season in 3rd place behind Leyton Orient and Brighton & Hove Albion.

We scored 106 goals in 46 games and conceded 60. Tommy Parker was our Top Scorer with 31 goals which Macauley Bonne is currently on target for.

Can this record be beaten by the current squad ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Can we break an Ipswich Town goal scoring record that’s stood for 66 years.

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:45 am

That's a shed load of goals to score but I guess if we are ever going to have a chance its this season for sure. As for Macauley Bonne hitting over 30, I don't think he will sustain this scoring run tbh, sooner or later Pigott will probably be in to do his bit, sadly Bonne may not even be here beyond December.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:56 am

Yes but we will need to score more goals than we have up until now.

In 16 games we have scored 34 goals.

That’s an average of 2.125 goals per game.

If continue at that pace over our remaining games we will score approximately 64 goals.

Giving us a total of 98 goals. So not far off…

If Macauley Bonne stays and scores at the same rate we might expect 30+ from him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:21 am

it would be great, but not as great as getting promoted.

I think the best thing about the number of goals is that we don't need to worry about that area. The goal-scoring box is ticked and we now need to tighten up a bit and just manage games better. In a tight game, we always have that threat. After 16 games, we're just 12 goals less than we scored all last season.

As an aside, one observation is the relationship between the fans and the players. Seeing the goal celebrations, the players are celebrating with the fans and you can see a real bond between them forming . Players like Bonne, Celina, Burns, Chaplin and a few others are becoming real fans favourites. And this is in a season where things have started not to plan. Far from perfect start, but even with the frustrations there's players here who've made a big impact. I can only see it getting better although we've probably got a bit too much to do for automatic promotion.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:15 am

Its all about promotion for me. I also think that, whilst a big challenge, automatic promotion is still very much a possibility - mathematically anyway. Others will fade or at least have shaky moments. If we have already had ours then we are well placed but if we too wobble then it becomes much more problematic. The nice part however is that the season feels like it has come alive and anything is possible. Thats what makes it all the more fun!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:54 am

Crikey those Blackpool stats are very interesting, all is not lost then.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:08 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:54 am
That’s exactly what I think Mike, and furthermore I’m fairly sure we have much more depth in our squad than Blackpool had. I’m just trying to help IpswichTownNo1 and others in a similar mindset understand that all is not lost and promotion from where we are now is indeed still possible.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:10 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:21 am
it would be great, but not as great as getting promoted.

I think the best thing about the number of goals is that we don't need to worry about that area. The goal-scoring box is ticked and we now need to tighten up a bit and just manage games better. In a tight game, we always have that threat. After 16 games, we're just 12 goals less than we scored all last season.

As an aside, one observation is the relationship between the fans and the players. Seeing the goal celebrations, the players are celebrating with the fans and you can see a real bond between them forming . Players like Bonne, Celina, Burns, Chaplin and a few others are becoming real fans favourites. And this is in a season where things have started not to plan. Far from perfect start, but even with the frustrations there's players here who've made a big impact. I can only see it getting better although we've probably got a bit too much to do for automatic promotion.
Spot on regarding the relationship between the players and fans.
I have watched the highlights of the Wycombe game and the reaction by Walton as he walked towards our fans after the final whistle to celebrate with them was fantastic. Even though he is a loan player you could see how much the win meant to him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:25 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:08 am
Bluemike wrote:
That’s exactly what I think Mike, and furthermore I’m fairly sure we have much more depth in our squad than Blackpool had. I’m just trying to help IpswichTownNo1 and others in a similar mindset understand that all is not lost and promotion from where we are now is indeed still possible.
For starters, top six is becoming within reach. We don't have to go on an incredible run to get top six. Just good, consistent form will get us there and teams will fall away.

And if we were, say, six points of automatic spot with 5 games to go then we'd still have a chance. There''stills 30 games left. Clubs at the top feel the pressure to keep up their form. I think Rotherham look the strongest and they've been there before - but can Wigan and Plymouth sustain their form? Sunderland have lost their last 3 games.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:46 am

It could just be we've had our blip at the best possible time, as someone else said though, we can't afford another one.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:50 pm

I don't look too far ahead. Making ideas about what could be and missing out on targets when time arises is sometimes best put aside. Think as someone said it's not about how any goals the team scores, promotion is the be all, end all of our objective. If we take results 1 - 0 for the most part of what remains this season that would be all very well and good.

Some issue arising where some of our players could be called up for overseas competition and not at our disposal for a period of time also. That would be unfortunate, got near apathy for those particular objectives although can understand international coaches wanting certain players on board given their domestic form and performance.

Somewhere along the line the great attacking / goal feats we got will cease and fizzle out. Not entirely but to lesser extent. Due to player injury / call ups elsewhere / general fatigue/ loss of consistency etc. If not for the poor start from August and had we started then as we are now a top six finish would be a real possibility. Kind of adds up to a number of factors where you sometimes doubt if the team can indeed make it by end of season.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:53 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Lol. Are you still losing sleep over my prediction that town would not get anything from the plymouth game after throwing away a lead?? Instead of holding onto that and then making daft comments, take a look at my posts, I'm in no way under the impression that town are dead and buried BUT as I said before we will be if the defence is not more consistent and individual mistakes are so frequent. So, instead of taking cheap shots at other forum users, let other people have their opinions, you alone do not have all of the right answers all of the time.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:20 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:53 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Lol. Are you still losing sleep over my prediction that town would not get anything from the plymouth game after throwing away a lead?? Instead of holding onto that and then making daft comments, take a look at my posts, I'm in no way under the impression that town are dead and buried BUT as I said before we will be if the defence is not more consistent and individual mistakes are so frequent. So, instead of taking cheap shots at other forum users, let other people have their opinions, you alone do not have all of the right answers all of the time.

Wow No 1 what a sensitive bunny you are.... and as for losing sleep over your predictions why would I, especially when you were so far off 3-0 v 1-4 🤣🤣🤣, only you should lose sleep being that far off !

My reference to you was only related to the remark you made on Sunday asking me to suggest how we could possibly make the play offs after our poor start .......

This is what you said ....... “ If we don't take points of the top teams how else do you suggest we make the playoffs ?” ....

... all I’m saying is Blackpool made the play offs last season after taking only 7 points from their first 9 games (3 less than Town) and taking 23 points from their first 16 games , exactly the same us.

Where is the cheap shot in that ? ..... where have I suggested that only I have the right answers ? ...

If you take just a few minutes to reflect on your comment I think you’ll agree it’s an over reaction, and if not maybe a simple case of being over sensitive.

Anyway for my part I apologise if my comment struck a nerve end, it certainly wasn’t intended.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:50 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:20 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Wow No 1 what a sensitive bunny you are.... and as for losing sleep over your predictions why would I, especially when you were so far off 3-0 v 1-4 🤣🤣🤣, only you should lose sleep being that far off !

My reference to you was only related to the remark you made on Sunday asking me to suggest how we could possibly make the play offs after our poor start .......

This is what you said ....... “ If we don't take points of the top teams how else do you suggest we make the playoffs ?” ....

... all I’m saying is Blackpool made the play offs last season after taking only 7 points from their first 9 games (3 less than Town) and taking 23 points from their first 16 games , exactly the same us.

Where is the cheap shot in that ? ..... where have I suggested that only I have the right answers ? ...

If you take just a few minutes to reflect on your comment I think you’ll agree it’s an over reaction, and if not maybe a simple case of being over sensitive.

Anyway for my part I apologise if my comment struck a nerve end, it certainly wasn’t intended.
Yes I was way off, I think most people would be surprised by that result, especially after the opening 20 mins by Wycombe.
And I stand by my comment regarding taking points off the top teams. All good winning against the mid to bottom teams, but as sure as eggs are eggs so will the top six. The only way to claw our way back is to take points off the top six. Which as you say blackpool did, but at the moment we are not very good at grinding those results out. Finally, I'm sure many others posted similar comments pointing this issue that has been going on for many seasons, the inability to get points off the top teams. So, this in mind, why did you feel the need to single me out? I’m just trying to help IpswichTownNo1 and others in a similar mindset understand
My mindset is mine, don't get me confused with anyone else and I do understand. I understand fully well when town look beat as they did against plymouth. As much as I wanted them to win, it was never going to happen, even with 30 mins left to play.I am now, as always, fully behind town and do believe we will succeed eventually under the new owners and cook, maybe not this season though. Never have I asked for cook to go or gone full meltdown on here. Well, I've had my say, maybe you should name the " and others" and let them reply

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:30 pm

The problem with the argument about taking points from the top teams is that it is far too early in the season to know who the top teams will be come, say, March. Wycombe are a top team right now. Will they be in the mix up come season's end? I have my doubts.

In the meantime, I feel our recent form, in general, bodes well for the rest of the season. Charnwood's Blackpool example is a good one, I think.
Last edited by JOHN DEERE on Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:49 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:50 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:20 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:

Yes I was way off, I think most people would be surprised by that result, especially after the opening 20 mins by Wycombe.
And I stand by my comment regarding taking points off the top teams. All good winning against the mid to bottom teams, but as sure as eggs are eggs so will the top six. The only way to claw our way back is to take points off the top six. Which as you say blackpool did, but at the moment we are not very good at grinding those results out. Finally, I'm sure many others posted similar comments pointing this issue that has been going on for many seasons, the inability to get points off the top teams. So, this in mind, why did you feel the need to single me out? I’m just trying to help IpswichTownNo1 and others in a similar mindset understand
My mindset is mine, don't get me confused with anyone else and I do understand. I understand fully well when town look beat as they did against plymouth. As much as I wanted them to win, it was never going to happen, even with 30 mins left to play.I am now, as always, fully behind town and do believe we will succeed eventually under the new owners and cook, maybe not this season though. Never have I asked for cook to go or gone full meltdown on here. Well, I've had my say, maybe you should name the " and others" and let them reply
FFS No1, what’s the problem..,,.
You asked me a simple question and I gave you a simple answer, and with a valid example...eg Blackpool last season.
Nobody else asked the question which is why the answer was pointed to yourself and nobody else...
...and, I know full well your mind set is yours and be assured I haven’t got you confused with anyone else, furthermore I’m not sure why you should think I have.
As for the result on Tuesday night, whilst most of us will have been surprised by the margin of victory, I think you’ll find that 9 predicted a Town win whilst only 6 expected us to lose.
Maybe we should simply choose to disagree and move on, after all this is a forum with no right of wrong answer, it’s just a place to exchange views of which many will be different.