Putting our promotion and play off chances into perspective....

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Putting our promotion and play off chances into perspective....

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:51 am

If it helps to put our promotion chances into perspective Blackpool who finished last season in 3rd place had 23 points after 16 games which is exactly where we are now.

For what it’s worth finishing with 80 points they were 7 points short of Peterborough for the second automatic promotion place.

Interestingly they also had a very indifferent start to the season winning only 7 points in their opening 9 games, 3 points less than we had after 9 games.

League One 2020/21

Plymouth 1 v 0 Blackpool
Blackpool 2 v 0 Swindon
Gillingham 2 v 0 Blackpool
Blackpool 2 v 3 Lincoln
Blackpool 1 v 4 Ipswich
Crewe 1 v 1 Blackpool
Blackpool 0 v 1 Charlton
Blackpool 1 v 0 MK Dons
AFC Wimbledon 1 v 0 Blackpool

Ricco

Re: Putting our promotion and play off chances into perspective....

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:18 pm

They lost 4-1 to Ipswich? They must have been useless!

It appears that we have absolutely zero problems going forward, we will easilly score enough goals to give ourselves a chance of promotion, even if we lose a player here or there to loan recalls or injury, there is just so much firepower in the squad as eluded to in the scoring record thread!

Walton has come in and done well, the defence have 'gelled' enough to have turned from a 2/10 defence in to a 5 or 6/10 defence when all fit. If we fail to make the playoffs, it will undoubtably be the defence's fault. If they all stay fit (and Morsy too), I think they will continue to get better with understanding and experience, if that happens then I'll almost say Town should make the playoffs.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:30 pm

Well said Ricco - fully agree.

I think for now we just need to take it month by month, if we can keep closing in on the top six then that is great - especially during these tougher (on paper) games we have coming up.
Would be nice to be in and around that sixth spot by Xmas.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:00 am

I’m not writing off automatic promotion, but I’m just concentrating on getting into the top six. It’s very attainable and we don’t need to get on some crazy winning streak. If the winning streak happens, it happens - if not, we’ll still be in contention for the play-offs. We’ve haemorrhaged points so far - but we need to put that behind us.

Let the top two worry about the chasing pack. We’ve been there before and we’ve come unstuck with that pressure. Just let the team develop and I’m confident we’ll win our fair share of games. And whatever the situation we’ll always be trying to win games and the football is likely to be more enjoyable than not.

A quote last year from a man who played at the highest level “ Better to be the hunter, than the hunted”. Wise words although he seemed to be hunting mid-table teams.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:56 am

Our defence remains our problem. We can’t deafens properly . We need another decent CB and left back. I’d say we also need another GK . Not convinced by Hladky at all and I suspect Holy will leave in January.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:54 am

I actually don't think it's entirely down to the defence, our CM is often all over the place, even Morsy has a tendancy to try and do too much, I can recall at least Three or Four times now in recent games where he continually falls over the ball when in possession to set them off on a attack, sometimes there is a chasm of space through the centre of our team and in doing o it leaves the defence exposed. I think Edmundson & Toto are pretty strong tbh, Penney is just not good enough and that is a source of attack down that side for our opponents.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:11 pm

Was a game I was glad that was not on iFollow and didn’t have to watch it.

Based on previous games, I think Penney has got found out defensively and I’m not even sure how good Coulson is because he’s always injured. If Coulsen is out injured so often, I wonder if we can cut short the loan and get another LB in.
Alternatively, KVY and Donacien have played LB before.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:41 pm

Kenlock is certainly no worse than Penney and he is still in the building

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:06 pm

Can’t see what we’d lose by giving Kenlock another go . Like you say, he’s no worse .