EFLT - Ipswich Town vs Colchester United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Through to the next round?

Ipswich Win
22%
Ipswich B Win
33%
Penalties
44%

Total votes: 9

hallamblue

Re: EFLT - Ipswich Town vs Colchester United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:52 pm

Chambers is quality at the end of the game applauding the SBR …. Good on him

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:54 pm

Some pretty good pens there apart from Joe Pigotts shocker. I’ll be far less concerned for future shoot outs if that was anything to go by.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:55 pm

I've watched a few Colchester games and that's by far the best they have played especially first half they were very up for it tonight.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:04 pm

Does Pigott still deserve a chance in the first team? I listened, but I didn’t watch. It sounded like he was lively? Reason I ask is if Bonne is recalled, do we have enough cover?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:13 pm

He looked like a player that hadn’t had much game time tbh … as the game went on he started to show sparks of what he can do …

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:15 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:55 pm
I've watched a few Colchester games and that's by far the best they have played especially first half they were very up for it tonight.
Hardly a surprise that really is it KB… I always felt this would be a potential banana skin , especially as we were at home coz they’d just sit back and try and hit us on the break , like all teams do when they come here .

But we’re through … so hold on to yer hat 🎩 👍

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:04 am

8,100 was a pretty decent attendance and not far short of our FA Cup crowd.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 am

My thoughts on some of the players from last night, Good things being talked about Clements and I agree but the fact is he wasn't tested in defence, and Pigott needs a run of games which he would have had had it not been for Bonne playing so well I think he will come good given the chance, and Celina such a classy player his passing can change games and what a great pen, pity he's lightweight but obviously he loves being at Ipswich.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:30 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 am
My thoughts on some of the players from last night, Good things being talked about Clements and I agree but the fact is he wasn't tested in defence, and Pigott needs a run of games which he would have had had it not been for Bonne playing so well I think he will come good given the chance, and Celina such a classy player his passing can change games and what a great pen, pity he's lightweight but obviously he loves being at Ipswich.
Thought Fraser was excellent second half. Really pinging some great balls about. Nearly scored a goal from a great move he started. Just a bit too lightweight at times.
Talking of lightweight….. Burgess getting man-handled and out-paced by Sears.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:31 am

Most of what impressed me about Clements was going forward, linked up well, got into the box, crisp passing, good delivery, did very well. Every bit as good as Penney.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:12 am

The thing that struck me was how disjointed it was a times, and the importance of game time. Pigott looked to be struggling to get his touch and his timing was all over the place wasn’t it, ( offsides). Playing U23’s occasionally doesn’t really really help their overall match fitness and senior game sharpness does it. I think we need to be feeding the odd player into league games ….if Cook insists on the same shape and tactic throughout his sides then they should at least know what to do when they come into the first team.

I liked the look of the Col U GK….

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:12 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:30 am
Kerry Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:22 am
Thought Fraser was excellent second half. Really pinging some great balls about. Nearly scored a goal from a great move he started. Just a bit too lightweight at times.
Talking of lightweight….. Burgess getting man-handled and out-paced by Sears.
Fraser was excellent as you say, prefer that to Evans for sure.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:31 am
Most of what impressed me about Clements was going forward, linked up well, got into the box, crisp passing, good delivery, did very well. Every bit as good as Penney.
Do you remember seeing him make his senior debut at Luton away in a cup match ?...hes come on in leaps and bounds since that night .

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:27 pm

I see we are now the group winners after the spammers fielded an illegible player and were docked 3 points. Colchester now qualify too

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/novemb ... hns-group/
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:50 pm

:D
AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:27 pm
I see we are now the group winners after the spammers fielded an illegible player and were docked 3 points. Colchester now quality too

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/novemb ... hns-group/
Just another example how Cookie is fantastic…. he’s got a team that doesn’t select ineligible players. All good. Town vs Col u in the final sounds good :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:36 am

I didn’t think it was as poor a game as some have suggested. It was certainly frustrating but given many of our team were second string and for most of the game Colchester had 9 players behind the ball it was never going to be easy. I guess it could have been worse, we could have been supporting Sunderland who lost on pens to Bradford City.
At least one positive came out of the fixture for me and that was Town scoring four consecutive cracking penalties, that at least says something about the confidence of our boys.