Why I want Cook replaced.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:20 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:46 pm
Personally I would give PC until mid December. If we are in playoffs then carry on, if not get rid and give a new boss the January window. But not Warnock. But who is out there?
Yep fair comment regarding Cook.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:36 pm

I do understand the sentiment. I would stick with him at least until Christmas, when I expect we will be in, or as near as dammit in, the top six. If that is the case, give him the rest of the season.

I think he understands what it takes to succeed at this level in a way that more celebrated, or high profile managers, might not. As has been said by others though, I wouldn't see him as a long term fixture. His pedigree is lower level leagues and having him manage in the championship would be the Peter Principle in action I think (someone promoted to the level of their own incompetence).

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:19 pm

Seriously? People talking of giving PC to mid-December or to Christmas! We have the most exciting team we have seen for years, who granted infuriate at times too. Let's not be like a West Brom, a Watford an Aston Villa and sack managers willy nilly. Not many clubs who sack their managers at the drop of a hat tend to see great success, unless of course they are mega-rich like the Chelseas of this world.
Yes mistakes are still being made and yes eventually someone will have to be culpable for them, but we are certainly moving in the right direction. As the results keep (hopefully) improving, so too will the mistakes diminish.

Replacing PC should not even be on anyone's lips this season IMO. Further strengthening should take place in January and with a marquee defensive signing we will no doubt push on again.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:28 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:19 pm
Seriously? People talking of giving PC to mid-December or to Christmas! We have the most exciting team we have seen for years, who granted infuriate at times too. Let's not be like a West Brom, a Watford an Aston Villa and sack managers willy nilly. Not many clubs who sack their managers at the drop of a hat tend to see great success, unless of course they are mega-rich like the Chelseas of this world.
Yes mistakes are still being made and yes eventually someone will have to be culpable for them, but we are certainly moving in the right direction. As the results keep (hopefully) improving, so too will the mistakes diminish.

Replacing PC should not even be on anyone's lips this season IMO. Further strengthening should take place in January and with a marquee defensive signing we will no doubt push on again.
Sorry, but I think you're entirely missing the point.

How many times since PC took over have we had an OK first half and then fail to get going in the 2nd half? Easily over half of the games. That's not down to the players, it's not down to the price of fish, and it's not down to Covid - it's down to poor management.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:31 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:28 am

How many times since PC took over have we had an OK first half and then fail to get going in the 2nd half? Easily over half of the games. That's not down to the players, it's not down to the price of fish, and it's not down to Covid - it's down to poor management.

Town sit 4th in the form table for the last 10 games, 2pts off 1st. We're only 16 games in to the season, so the rotten start is still reflected in the current league posistion. That rotten start was completely understandable and all the posts on here I saw before the season said they expected a bad start and have no expectations because it is a complete rebuild, yet a couple of bad results come in and those same people ran to their pitchforks.

Town have scored 34 goals, 4 more than anyone else, approaching double the league average, we have the joint 4th best goal difference and are playing the most entertaining we have for probably 20 years.

Fine, don't be 100% happy with Paul Cook, question his tactics, don't agree with everything he does, but to start considering giving him time frames and ultimatums for results is pure ludicrous.

Another couple of things to remember... individual errors are down to the players and are reducing and will continue to reduce as players grow in confidence in a new club and a new team. The same people who are complaining about Cook going after games were the same voices complaining about McCarthy bringing on defensive players to protect draws. Sometimes you just can't win as a manager and I think Cook should be given a bit more breathing space, historically we've been a very patient and loyal club to managers, that had served us well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:27 am

Playing defensive players from the off is one thing, bringing Two on when 2 up away should have been a no brainer, its chalk and cheese, he mucked up, tactically he is limited and One dimensional, nobody can argue with that and that is one of the main reasons for my reservations, I stand by it cus it can only take you so far with nothing more than a plan A. I wonder if all the Cook can do no wrong brigade will feel the same if we mess up against Oxford, Sunderland and Rotherham. Of course I want to be wrong and made to look a fool, it won't be the first time but my opinion is valid and probably won't be too far wrong.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:45 am

I guess in the modern world of polorised opinions, it's worth taking a step back, there's a middle ground and there's also hindsight. No manager is going to be right all the time in all supporter's eyes. Maybe he's seen stats which point to bringing on attacking players against tired legs to kill off games does more good than harm, maybe the more defensive players on the bench were carrying niggles or illnesses that Cook didn't want to risk aggravating unless he had to. Maybe he's a complete nut and made a terrible decision here or there, I still don't think that warrants him walking a tightrope.

He's here to get the team performing, recent form shows he may be capable of doing that, and if things continue to improve then he can start Holy up front for all I care, results are what matter and bar the first 6 games, results he has got.

I aslo don't think those defending Cook can all be labeled a 'no wrong brigade', that's unfair, especially coming from a man who defended McCarthy so valiantly.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:55 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:27 am
Playing defensive players from the off is one thing, bringing Two on when 2 up away should have been a no brainer, its chalk and cheese, he mucked up, tactically he is limited and One dimensional, nobody can argue with that and that is one of the main reasons for my reservations, I stand by it cus it can only take you so far with nothing more than a plan A. I wonder if all the Cook can do no wrong brigade will feel the same if we mess up against Oxford, Sunderland and Rotherham. Of course I want to be wrong and made to look a fool, it won't be the first time but my opinion is valid and probably won't be too far wrong.
I agree to the validity of your points Mike, but want to emphasise that while 100% behind PC currently, i am painfully aware of his one-dimensional formation. However, he wouldn't be managing down in L1 if he didn't have flaws and that is the only place where my questioning of him comes into place: He has no real pedigree for managing in a higher division, so would he be able to do a job for us further up the leagues? Who knows? Every managerial appointment is a risk!
We have had managers who have shown lower league potential who have flopped, managers with decent experience in one or other of the top 2 flights who have failed, also managers like Burley with limited big time experience who managed to gain us European football and a highly unexpected top 5 premier league finish (i know what came after that :wink:
Any manager is only ever as good as their last game it seems, and yes i will be fed up if we lose (or/and play badly) any of the next 3 games, however i will also be delighted with any positive points garnered. Which ever way, and whatever my frustrations at the time, i still believe in PC.
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:30 pm

rossi wrote:

Where do you get the reasoning behind your argument Rossi? Yes, if you want to take in the results of Paul Lambert's team playing under PC, or even the newly assembled squad who had a shocking start to this campaign, then fair enough you will have a valid point. However any manager in any walk of life should be judged on how they have improved things, not what they have inherited! So for the record, regardless of possession stats, this is our record since the first green shoots appeared against Lincoln away;

First half goals For 10 Against 5
Second Half goals F14 A5
Half time results
W5 (at full time 3 were won, 1 drawn, 1 loss)
D4 ( at full time W3 L1)
L1 (D1)

For the record 19 points would have been gained at half time, whereas 20 points were indeed gained at the full time whistle. Therefore looking at those stats (the ones which actually matter), i cannot see how we have failed "to get going in the 2nd half? Easily over half of the games"!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:07 pm

I'm amazed at some of the comments on this thread tbh.

All I shall say is , Cook will be judged at the end of the season, not after 16 games, when the team is clearly starting to get it together and climb the league.

Cook, like any other manager, has his methodology, and I doubt Wigan fans would regard him as one dimensional! As Ricco rightfully states, all managers will sometimes get it wrong.No one is infallible. i think Cook is doing thing s right... the team are climbing the table, closing the gap. All that with a brand new squad, that will take the whole of this season to bed in (like it or not). I don't happen to think the defence is the "finished" article yet , and Im personally expecting further additions in that area in January. The squad is still evolving. Cooks philosophy is , " we play our game and not worry about the opposition" (similar to Joe Royles). The brand of football is at last attacking, and high pressing. When was the last time we had that at this Club?

Since mid Sept (Lincoln City away) we have (in all competitons), P13 W8 D3 L2: Goals F27 A 11

or to view it another way: WDWLWWDWWLWWW

Now, how can that be a failure or undesirable in any way, shape or form?? If that's being predicable, I'll take it all day long. We fans rightfully have high expectations of our Club. We are a big Club. We are in the middle of playing teams , all of whom are in that top 6. Should be expected to win them all? Id say perhaps a tad unrealistic , and if we don't win them does that make Cook a bad manager? The team crap, or our season over ? No of course not.

All we can do is hang on tight for the roller-coaster ride we will be getting ...try not get too excited when we win (I'm at fault here)...or too down when we lose (I'm at fault here too), but to keep the faith in Cook and the squad.

disclaimer: This post is not intending to be in any way , shape or form a personal attack on any ones views...this is just my take on the situation. We ALL want the same thing - Promotion...lets stick together on this and hopefully we will get there....

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:34 pm

All these statistics make me laugh - you can dress numbers up to say anything you want if you filter the number sets.

Cook's record to date at Ipswich (all games):

Played 31
Won 11 (29.7%)
Drawn 14 (37.8%)
Lost 12 (32.4%)

For 49
Against 46

So - won less than 30%, and conceded almost as many goals as scored.

Nuff said

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:42 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:45 am
I guess in the modern world of polorised opinions, it's worth taking a step back, there's a middle ground and there's also hindsight. No manager is going to be right all the time in all supporter's eyes. Maybe he's seen stats which point to bringing on attacking players against tired legs to kill off games does more good than harm, maybe the more defensive players on the bench were carrying niggles or illnesses that Cook didn't want to risk aggravating unless he had to. Maybe he's a complete nut and made a terrible decision here or there, I still don't think that warrants him walking a tightrope.

He's here to get the team performing, recent form shows he may be capable of doing that, and if things continue to improve then he can start Holy up front for all I care, results are what matter and bar the first 6 games, results he has got.

I aslo don't think those defending Cook can all be labeled a 'no wrong brigade', that's unfair, especially coming from a man who defended McCarthy so valiantly.
If more so called loyal Town fans had defender MM we would still be a championship side, granted bored too. I've said all along Town fans helped put us where we are now but love to blame Chambers, Skuse, Hurst, Lambert etc etc. I stayed loyal to MM because he's a bloody good manager, just terribly dull and at times negative, people wanted him out and this is where we are so yes thank you for pointing out I didn't play a part in our demise, im proud of that fact.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:24 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:34 pm
All these statistics make me laugh - you can dress numbers up to say anything you want if you filter the number sets.

Played 31
Won 11 (29.7%)
Drawn 14 (37.8%)
Lost 12 (32.4%)

For 49
Against 46

Nuff said
Have a look at the TREND over the season !

https://fussball.wettpoint.com/en/h2h/1038-20.html

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:13 pm

rossi wrote:

Played 31
Won 11 (29.7%)
Drawn 14 (37.8%)
Lost 12 (32.4%)

For 49
Against 46

Nuff said
Yes of course you can dress numbers up to say anything you want, however i wasn't the one who made the unquantified
"How many times since PC took over have we had an OK first half and then fail to get going in the 2nd half? Easily over half of the games" statement!
Breaking down ALL of PC's league games in charge for fairness;
First half - W11, D14, L7
Second half - W7, D12, L13.
Yes there is certainly an element which concurs with your statement, of that i never questioned in my original reply to you (PL's team and a brand new squad). Let's keep in mind that, along with the pathetic results, since we started to improve we have annihilated Doncaster, Portsmouth and Wycombe in second half performances, all in our last 8 games. I don't know about you, but improvement is what i am looking to see in my team.
On your basis the first 31 league games record below would not have been good enough i presume?

W10 D10 L11
Win ratio of 32%

It is a good job, as Ricco implies, that Ipswich have a grand old tradition of giving managers time, otherwise that very same manager with that above ratio would not have seen Ipswich win the FA & UEFA Cup, finish league runners up twice and generally have one of the finest teams in Europe at the time!

Yes we will never achieve those height again in the modern game, but hey let's give PC a chance to reach his own managerial plateau, one which i am sure is higher than League 1.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:24 pm
rossi wrote:

Played 31
Won 11 (29.7%)
Drawn 14 (37.8%)
Lost 12 (32.4%)

For 49
Against 46

Nuff said

yes I know, Liz, but it is just a TREND and trends can be very short-lived. For example, the TREND of UK economic growth was pretty good a couple of months ago, now it is pretty dire.

The figures I quote are not a trend, not a manipulation, just the sum total of Cook's record here. There have been good patched and bad patches, but overall his record is average at best

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:42 pm

I guess well have to agree to disagree then Gary.

I think Cook is starting to get things going . We wont win every game , thats for sure. But we are in a far better place than we were just a few months ago and I can only see things improving. We have an infrastructure, backing and a decent squad that is starting to put it together. I guess well just have to watch this space .....

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:57 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:31 am
rossi wrote:

Town sit 4th in the form table for the last 10 games, 2pts off 1st. We're only 16 games in to the season, so the rotten start is still reflected in the current league posistion. That rotten start was completely understandable and all the posts on here I saw before the season said they expected a bad start and have no expectations because it is a complete rebuild, yet a couple of bad results come in and those same people ran to their pitchforks.

Town have scored 34 goals, 4 more than anyone else, approaching double the league average, we have the joint 4th best goal difference and are playing the most entertaining we have for probably 20 years.

Fine, don't be 100% happy with Paul Cook, question his tactics, don't agree with everything he does, but to start considering giving him time frames and ultimatums for results is pure ludicrous.

Another couple of things to remember... individual errors are down to the players and are reducing and will continue to reduce as players grow in confidence in a new club and a new team. The same people who are complaining about Cook going after games were the same voices complaining about McCarthy bringing on defensive players to protect draws. Sometimes you just can't win as a manager and I think Cook should be given a bit more breathing space, historically we've been a very patient and loyal club to managers, that had served us well.
A very fair post. I find myself in complete agreement with you.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:01 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:13 pm
rossi wrote:

Played 31
Won 11 (29.7%)
Drawn 14 (37.8%)
Lost 12 (32.4%)

For 49
Against 46

Nuff said
Yes of course you can dress numbers up to say anything you want, however i wasn't the one who made the unquantified
"How many times since PC took over have we had an OK first half and then fail to get going in the 2nd half? Easily over half of the games" statement!
Yes there is certainly an element which concurs with your statement, of that i never questioned in my original reply to you (PL's team and a brand new squad). Let's keep in mind that, along with the pathetic results, since we started to improve we have annihilated Doncaster, Portsmouth and Wycombe in second half performances, all in our last 8 games. I don't know about you, but improvement is what i am looking to see in my team.
On your basis the first 31 league games record below would not have been good enough i presume?

W10 D10 L11
Win ratio of 32%

It is a good job, as Ricco implies, that Ipswich have a grand old tradition of giving managers time, otherwise that very same manager with that above ratio would not have seen Ipswich win the FA & UEFA Cup, finish league runners up twice and generally have one of the finest teams in Europe at the time!

Yes we will never achieve those height again in the modern game, but hey let's give PC a chance to reach his own managerial plateau, one which i am sure is higher than League 1.
And thats my point Mark, your stats for our second half performances demonstrate that he has no plan B and its costing us, nothing to do with time and gelling, you don't gel in the first half and not the second, sadly he is one dimensional and you've kinda backed that up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:27 am
Mike on the note of one dimensional , do you mean the formation he adopts ? Coz I thought Id look at the two most successful managers in the PL , Klopp and Pep, and both of them by and large stick to 433 for every match. So no obvious plan B by virtue of your definition and does that then make them one dimensional too? Or is it they simply just have better players at their disposal that can play the rigid system both managers use ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:58 pm

I have no idea what they play Liz, not overly interested in them tbh but they have the best players you can have which means 95% of the time their plan A wins the game comfortably, we don't have that luxury, im sure they would have the nous and capability to switch it though if the situation required it.

I think what people need to do is rewind to my opening post and read it again, it isn't a hate campaign against Cook or a witch hunt, it was a level headed opinion on a guy I wanted here that I have reservations about him and going forward would be happy to see him replaced, having said all that I have repeatedly said I hope so much he proves me wrong, I'd love it and you can all remind me of it as no doubt some will.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:01 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:13 pm
And thats my point Mark, your stats for our second half performances demonstrate that he has no plan B and its costing us, nothing to do with time and gelling, you don't gel in the first half and not the second, sadly he is one dimensional and you've kinda backed that up.
Yes, but that includes Lambert's squad, which while i am sure others might say he should have been able to get more out of, I'd imagine you would agree were a waste of space who had all but downed tools?

Look at the last 10 performances split into two halves;

1st half: Won 5, Drawn 4, Lost 1
2nd half Won 6, D1, L3.

We would have gained 19 points from either of those halves.
As it turned out the actual results were W6 D2 L2 and with it 20 points.

I cannot argue that we surrendered winning first half positions against Accrington & Cambridge and as you point out, those results are simply not good enough and do point to a possible level of naivety on PC's part. Yes in truth, i would have kept the same hand rather than going for the jugular against Cambridge. The one thing we are not privvy to however, and Ricco mentions above, is the live data being processed during a match, as PC also mentions in this news story.
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ng-8481308

Who knows what information the bench were receiving that day! I can only guess Cambridge Utd hacked the system! :wink: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:25 pm

I wonder what was behind the decision to play Coulsen and Right wing instead of Celina, if your on the bench you're fit enough to start.

You mention Cambridge and Accrington, what about Burton, Cheltenham, Morecambe, Newport, Bolton, MK Dons, Wimbledon, West Ham kids, and Oldham?

I know the its a new team thing and to a point I accept it, we never changed tactics in any of those games, that I don't accept.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:25 pm
I wonder what was behind the decision to play Coulsen and Right wing instead of Celina, if your on the bench you're fit enough to start.

You mention Cambridge and Accrington, what about Burton, Cheltenham, Morecambe, Newport, Bolton, MK Dons, Wimbledon, West Ham kids, and Oldham?

I know the its a new team thing and to a point I accept it, we never changed tactics in any of those games, that I don't accept.
Was only taking last 10 league games, from where the first green shoots started to appear against Lincoln :lol: .Mainly to show improvement, which is the key thing I am looking for.
For fairness, we know the first 6 games were shocking, but here are those stats for the result of each half.
1st half W2, D3, L1
2nd half W1, D1, L4

Overall results were W0, D3,L3

Of those 6 games, certainly the evidence is there to show we had bad 2nd halves in most of those games. While the result was bitterly disappointing, only our first game against Morecambe saw us outscore our opponents in the second half.

As you can see, Covid has clearly left me with far too much time on my hands for my own good, as well as turning me into an argumentative so and so (but age might take a bit of that blame) :P :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:54 pm

Oh, and as for the cups......who cares! :twisted: :wink: :lol: :lol:

P.s. loving this thread. Opinions are what it is all about and this one has brought decent banter and is exactly what i want to see on a forum.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:15 pm

Glad you like it lol, the hard facts are those early games could be our undoing, I sincerely hope not

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:25 pm

But if you’re trying to get a tactic : methodology to be ingrained in a squad , surely you stick with it for a period of time ? Those games were early days and yes we did c*ck it up in quite few of them. I just think the time to judge him will be at the end of the season not after less than a 1/4 or the season has gone by and things needing to settle down.

My comment regarding formations was a genuine comparison of how Cook compares in his approach to that of established quality / successful managers. If they stick with their formation why is it a problem for us to do the same ( given that results are improving as the players are starting to understand their roles in that formation).

There’s always reasons for substitutions or lines up and I don’t think Cook is as daft or blinkered as some would believe. He’s been successful with his approach, so why abandon it ? 🤷‍♀️ Cook has said today that we are still playing catch up and that a poor result makes it look like we’ve got things wrong , but sometimes it’s persistence with your beliefs in the face of doubts that gets you there . We shall see. And like everyone else on here I hope he succeeds…

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:26 am

Cook's not going anywhere at least immediate time ahead whether you like it or not. Few months back, around the time of the Bolton debacle, maybe a fixture or two after it, was all in favor of having him forced out but things have improved in the time since. His wins to games ratio with us is doubtless unsatisfactory but when you're coming on board after dumbfucks such as Jewell, Keane, McCarthy, Hurst, Lambert etc and the collective messes they left behind it's sometimes tough to really castigate any one individual.

One thing I can't abide with our manager right now is the insistence to play what I and others view questionable line-ups and formation. Applaud Cook for at least making a go of it in some of the Cup games just recent but even then the team picked couldn't bring a success i.e. the manager wasn't necessarily at fault.

Bottom line and to encapsulate Cook was never high on the list of many to replace Lambert and in truth while a bumpy ride and a number of hits and misses along route, the team has at last taken shape into something that can challenge. We got the players that can get something done, whether Cook will have the honor of being the one to take said team into a higher division is open to question. If he fails by end of season i.e. we miss out on top six and unfortunately face another year of League One obscurity, then by all means if he wants to go, if the directors here want to replace, I won't stand in their way, argue their decision.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:22 am

rossi wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:15 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:24 pm
rossi wrote:

Played 31
Won 11 (29.7%)
Drawn 14 (37.8%)
Lost 12 (32.4%)

For 49
Against 46

Nuff said

yes I know, Liz, but it is just a TREND and trends can be very short-lived. For example, the TREND of UK economic growth was pretty good a couple of months ago, now it is pretty dire.

The figures I quote are not a trend, not a manipulation, just the sum total of Cook's record here. There have been good patched and bad patches, but overall his record is average at best
Well here’s an interesting point made by a poster on twtd recently ….

“ I think the consistency post the first 6 or 8 games has been a lot better& 12:26 - Nov 12 with 1582 views”

“This quote from PC made me wonder what the league table would look like if we took away the first six games.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/co ... -and-away/

We'd be 4th, 2 points behind Rotherham and Plymouth in the automatic spots. Not too shabby, I think all but the harshest of critics would be satisfied with that.

30 games to go.”

So he’s right isn’t he, it’s not unreasonable for a totally brand new squad to take time to settle , and those first 6 games (in which we didn’t play badly but let winning positions slip), have meant us playing catch up but also act to distort the overall picture of how we are doing this season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:19 pm

That's true but you cant take away the first 8 games, this isn't even my concern, Cook has cost us points in recent games in my opinion, Cambridge being the classic and then Plymouth through limited and poor management. Play a 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 once in a while ffs man, or at least change things when it isn't going to plan. Teams know what they are going to get from us, other teams change it up, Cook is doing ok I accept that, we need and want more than ok, I just don't think that so far we are making the most of our superiority, our squad leaves the rest standing in strength and ability so use it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:27 pm

I think Paul Cook will still be here at the end of the season and I hope so too. Town are a football club in transition and Paul Cook and his team are are still “work in progress”.
Whilst he wasn’t my favourite for the job when he was appointed I’ve come to like him and most of the players he’s brought in too. I also like the way he wants us to play football which is mostly attacking, exciting and entertaining and I think even more important is the potential this team has, more so than any other Town team over the past ten years.
Over this period we’ve had the experienced Mick McCarthy who did a brilliant job saving us from relegation but he was never given any real support from ME and he did a typical ex defender Manager's job until he fell out with the supporters. The way he set up his teams was mostly boring exactly as they were to watch. Paul Hurst was the most ridiculous appointment of all and his recruitment like the man himself was dire. As for Paul Lambert he worked well at first to rebuild the relationship between players and fans but his football was equally as boring and negative as McCarthy, hence the ongoing decline of ITFC.
Along came Paul Cook, almost certainly the manager chosen by the new owners and if not fully endorsed by. Out went most of the deadwood and in came an almost complete new squad hand picked by himself and the clubs new management team. With the number of new players coming in they were never likely to play as a team from week one or even month one and some were certain to prove better fits than others, hence the work in progress title.
Surely everyone can see the progress that’s been made and the potential we have going forward, do we really want to throw this away and start again. At the moment we’re the second highest scoring team in English football, and scoring goals has always been the biggest challenge for town teams over recent years. I accept we’ve conceded lots too but fixing a defence is a much easier job for a manager than finding players who create chances and score goals. I’m convinced Paul Cook will fix our defence and if not with our current players with one or even two newbies in the January transfer window.
In my opinion changing the manager now would be suicidal and about the worst thing that could happen to our football club, especially in the short term. Looking further ahead I think he could do a decent job in the Championship too, looking beyond that at the present time is pointless.

Finally to AzzurroMark, I hope you are recovering well from Covid and not suffering too badly. 🤞