Why I want Cook replaced.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24756
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:27 pm

Having now seen the crux of the discussions from the meeting the other day I am even more convinced that for us to achieve or goals we need to seriously consider the managers position at the club.

Talk of 7-10 or 10-15 years is being mooted, the American owners talk big and are very ambitious, they will clearly want returns on their investment, we have the tools and Ammo in place to have a real shot at this and it must not be a wasted opportunity.

If as is being suggested that they are even looking beyond the Premier League and to the Champions League we have to have the right candidates in place.

My perspective is this, we have a chairman, a ceo, owners and investors that are all every bit Champions League potential, we certainly have a fan base that would be of Champions league standard, at present we have players that look capable of Championship football at times and at other times look League One at best, clearly I accept the players change as you progress up the leagues.

My issue sadly is the boss, I feel he has been very successful mainly at lower league level, I have not been overly convinced he can improve to the level we aspire to, even Championship level looks a big ask. I just feel this set up atm is slightly lacking in a key area and to continue with it could see a couple of years wasted very quickly, we have to be professional and dare I say it, cutthroat. .

I am all for giving people a fair chance, after all I wanted Cook here last summer and was overjoyed when we signed him, since then I'm not so sure. I feel we have to be top six minimum by turn of the year, we also need to be in striking distance of top Two and we need a good January transfer window where the defence is strengthened quite considerably.

I would love Cook to prove me wrong and get this team firing because despite what anyone says, Wycombe aside the results and at times performances have disappointed, of course it's more enjoyable to watch than recent seasons because it could only improve after what we have suffered but it does tend to paper over a few cracks that are still there.

Over to you Cookie, cut the excuses and crap and prove me wrong !!!!

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:49 pm

One thing I will say in the main is the faults we have had are individual errors. The goals we have conceded in the main been individual mistakes

From players turning off, ball watching, been caught in procession, passing to opposition or whatever. I cannot really remember where any one team scored by ripping us apart. I'm sure somebody could point out that a goal has been scored against us by tearing us apart as in a superb play, but i fail really to remember one

Are these individual errors the Managers fault? I don't think so. What can be down to him are substitutions, tactics and of course team selections. I think I'm right in saying in every game we have taken the lead this season so far. The points we have lost from winning positions is so scary
That's something Paul and the team has to rectify

hallamblue
Posts: 26934
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if Cook was deemed the
“ right” manager for phases 1&2, not phase 3( PL/ onwards). This game change at ITFC is very well thought out and planned . The players we have now, will I doubt, be the same players we eventually have in the PL… it’s an evolutionary situation.

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:11 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:02 pm
It wouldn’t surprise me if Cook was deemed the
“ right” manager for phases 1&2, not phase 3( PL/ onwards). This game change at ITFC is very well thought out and planned . The players we have now, will I doubt, be the same players we eventually have in the PL… it’s an evolutionary situation.
Yes, agree totally. The higher we go up hopefully will determine the players brought in as also coming through our youth ranks

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1793
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:25 pm

First I had to check the post was not dated 1st April :wink: :P :lol:

I think i get the essence of where you are coming from Mike. I am 100% behind PC, but i can see reasons for concern long term. The rigid formation we line up with week in week out, while it can bring strength in that each selected player knows what is expected of them, the further up the football pyramid you go, an inability to change easily to a different shape will cost the team. Our saving grace at the moment is the wide choice of players which PC has at his disposal, allows us to change emphasis on our style/tempo while maintaining the desired formation.

I see Paul Cook getting us to the Championship and being able to hold our own there. That is where i have a problem! While he could surprise us with a quick route from League One to the Premier League (alla Lambert with Norwich), but i am not sure he could sustain us there, let alone push on.

For me personally, i would stick with PC to achieve the early goals and perhaps give him a couple of Championship seasons if we appear to be doing ok. Beyond that it is, if ambition is to be believed and realised, perhaps time to aim for a bigger name with more top flight experience.

Great post Mike and will be interesting to see how peoples' views are on this subject

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24756
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:26 pm

I think sometimes individual errors should sit at the managers door tbh, playing a LB at right wing with Celina on the bench for one, there are several I could probably recall if need be but for me it's the whole package, making ridiculous attacking substitutions when Two up at Cambridge was naive and smacked of inexperience. There's been quite a few things that I've found bizarre.

tangfastic
Posts: 4124
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by tangfastic » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:26 pm
I think sometimes individual errors should sit at the managers door tbh, playing a LB at right wing with Celina on the bench for one, there are several I could probably recall if need be but for me it's the whole package, making ridiculous attacking substitutions when Two up at Cambridge was naive and smacked of inexperience. There's been quite a few thinks that I've found bizarre.
There has been some odd decisions that could account for bad results, but there’s also been some real enjoyable moments that we haven’t seen for a while. That’s got to be taken into account, too.

You describe him as a successful lower league manager and I’m happy with that, because we’re currently a lower league club. Are we able to recruit a top Championship or PL manager here at the moment?

I think we have seen improvements lately, but not the “we’ve now turned the corner” type. We’ve got still mistakes in us, but I’m happy to progress from a place where we’re the league’s top scorers and we just need to cut out those mistakes and keep our focus more. And I do think we can strengthen the team up in January in a couple of areas.

For all the frustrations and hiccups we’re only 4 points off the play-offs with thirty games to go.

hallamblue
Posts: 26934
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:20 pm

This is O’Leary’s comment yesterday / today …


“……..And part of that plan is to make sure that we have a good succession plan and that however long we own this team for, is it going to be 10 years, 15 years, however long it is, that we position it so someone could take over and continue with those plans.”


I’d say that’s transparent and perfectly acceptable and realistic isn’t it. Tbh I don’t think we could have got a better new set of owners . I’m almost sure as any fan could be, that they will be leaving us in one helluva better place in 10-15-20(?) years time than we are now. We are IMO only going to benefit from GC20’s ownership, and as I’ve said, this is the nature of the game now. We either get busy embracing it, or get busy slowly dying and slipping into obscurity.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24756
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Absolutely no issue with the owners, best thing that could have happened, the future looks rosy, as long as everything is in place. Let's not forget Paul Cook was a Marcus Evans appointment, not Gamechanger.

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:26 pm
I think sometimes individual errors should sit at the managers door tbh, playing a LB at right wing with Celina on the bench for one, there are several I could probably recall if need be but for me it's the whole package, making ridiculous attacking substitutions when Two up at Cambridge was naive and smacked of inexperience. There's been quite a few things that I've found bizarre.
I really don't think what I have seen mistakes wise how they can be the managers fault Mike. The stupid passes, the times players got robbed in possession. The goal last Saturday was huge mistake also by Nsiala, no manager could be counted for that

Lets see where we finish this season, We are by no means out promotion but going forwards we have to cut out the stupid individual erros, it's as simple as that

tangfastic
Posts: 4124
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by tangfastic » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Have to say I’m surprised Mike has gone anti-Cook so early. Usually hanging in there to the last and getting ratty with the non-believers (“ Support the team you fickle fuckers”) . Makes a change and probably adds a bit of spice to the forum.

No going back once you’re officially gone anti-manager. Forum rules.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1793
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Have to say I’m surprised Mike has gone anti-Cook so early. Usually hanging in there to the last and getting ratty with the non-believers (“ Support the team you fickle fuckers”) . Makes a change and probably adds a bit of spice to the forum.

No going back once you’re officially gone anti-manager. Forum rules.
I wouldn't say i read it as "anti-Cook, just a case that he needs to show a bit more nous in making sure we get out of L1 as quickly as possible. However I agree that Mike is showing less patience in PC's future and how far he can actually take our club!

If that is what having Covid does :wink: :lol: then watch out! I am currently self isolating and likely to come back a right mardy old bugger too :P :wink:

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24756
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:56 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:20 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:26 pm
I think sometimes individual errors should sit at the managers door tbh, playing a LB at right wing with Celina on the bench for one, there are several I could probably recall if need be but for me it's the whole package, making ridiculous attacking substitutions when Two up at Cambridge was naive and smacked of inexperience. There's been quite a few things that I've found bizarre.
I really don't think what I have seen mistakes wise how they can be the managers fault Mike. The stupid passes, the times players got robbed in possession. The goal last Saturday was huge mistake also by Nsiala, no manager could be counted for that

Lets see where we finish this season, We are by no means out promotion but going forwards we have to cut out the stupid individual erros, it's as simple as that
We will have to agree to disagree, Cook and co are training these players to make the same errors week after week after week.

Nsiala mistake ? Was it ?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24756
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:57 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Have to say I’m surprised Mike has gone anti-Cook so early. Usually hanging in there to the last and getting ratty with the non-believers (“ Support the team you fickle fuckers”) . Makes a change and probably adds a bit of spice to the forum.

No going back once you’re officially gone anti-manager. Forum rules.
I hope I do change my mind as that will mean he has indeed rammed it down my throat and I could not be happier should that happen. Sadly I doubt it.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24756
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:57 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Have to say I’m surprised Mike has gone anti-Cook so early. Usually hanging in there to the last and getting ratty with the non-believers (“ Support the team you fickle fuckers”) . Makes a change and probably adds a bit of spice to the forum.

No going back once you’re officially gone anti-manager. Forum rules.
I wouldn't say i read it as "anti-Cook, just a case that he needs to show a bit more nous in making sure we get out of L1 as quickly as possible. However I agree that Mike is showing less patience in PC's future and how far he can actually take our club!

If that is what having Covid does :wink: :lol: then watch out! I am currently self isolating and likely to come back a right mardy old bugger too :P :wink:
Do you have it Mark ?

hallamblue
Posts: 26934
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:31 pm
Absolutely no issue with the owners, best thing that could have happened, the future looks rosy, as long as everything is in place. Let's not forget Paul Cook was a Marcus Evans appointment, not Gamechanger.
But it was either O’Leary or Ashton that said in that first interview that both GC and Evans had the same person at the top of their next manager list : Paul Cook.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1793
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:57 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:27 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 pm
Have to say I’m surprised Mike has gone anti-Cook so early. Usually hanging in there to the last and getting ratty with the non-believers (“ Support the team you fickle fuckers”) . Makes a change and probably adds a bit of spice to the forum.

No going back once you’re officially gone anti-manager. Forum rules.
I wouldn't say i read it as "anti-Cook, just a case that he needs to show a bit more nous in making sure we get out of L1 as quickly as possible. However I agree that Mike is showing less patience in PC's future and how far he can actually take our club!

If that is what having Covid does :wink: :lol: then watch out! I am currently self isolating and likely to come back a right mardy old bugger too :P :wink:
Do you have it Mark ?
Yes, PCR came back positive this morning. So far have a persistent cough little different to a common cold, though i am pretty sure worse is likely to come.

10 days of self isolating.....i might just have to watch my first ever tin-pot installment tonight.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3862
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:49 pm

Sorry to hear about the Covid Mark. Get well soon, mate!

I think Cook should be replaced if we don't get promoted this season, for sure. For the time being, he gets a pass especially since the team has been completely rebuilt...which in my opinion is more responsible for 'individual errors' than the manager's lack of coaching. We all know Cook has been criticised for not having a 'Plan B' in the past, but we also know he's been very successful in the lower leagues. Admittedly I wasn't impressed earlier in the season, but I do see improvemtent now and like Tang says only 4pts off the play offs isn't a bad place to be. I also believe we'll be more consistent as time goes by. I think we need a few reinforcements in January, and I'm completely confident Cook and the staff will find the right players to bring in.

Fingers crossed Cookie will ram it down your throat, Mike! :lol:

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1793
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:13 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:49 pm
Sorry to hear about the Covid Mark. Get well soon, mate!
Thank you No.9. Hopefully i will see a semi-decent game if i choose to watch on i-follow tonight.

Kerry Blue
Posts: 1257
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:05 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:31 pm
Absolutely no issue with the owners, best thing that could have happened, the future looks rosy, as long as everything is in place. Let's not forget Paul Cook was a Marcus Evans appointment, not Gamechanger.
But it was either O’Leary or Ashton that said in that first interview that both GC and Evans had the same person at the top of their next manager list : Paul Cook.
I don't know but I would have thought that Gamechanger would have wanted a new manager in and it would have been agreed before the takeover because otherwise they would have had to pay Lambert for the remaining time on his contract.

Wish you well Mark.

osborne77
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: Bury

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by osborne77 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:55 pm


hallamblue
Posts: 26934
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:50 pm

Very true Osborne :D I think a certain Bobby Robson had a rough time at the start of his career at Town too .

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24756
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:02 pm

Cook is no Ferguson or Robson!!

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 1190
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:05 pm

Yes Mike, number 22 Aristote Nsiala didn't deal with the long ball, he let the ball bounce and well it's all in the highlights. Agree on all have opinions but will say it's lot more enjoyable watching Town now than has been for years

Still recovering from COVID myself Mark, still coughing though not as heavy as before, still ache and feel weak, taste not returned yet but I certainly do feel more with it now than few days ago

Hoping you recover soon

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24756
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:14 pm

Yes Mark, hope you feel better soon and it doesn't take hold too much.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1793
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:28 pm

Thanks guys. :D

hallamblue
Posts: 26934
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:16 pm

Yes rest up Mark and get well soon 👍 x

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:27 pm
Having now seen the crux of the discussions from the meeting the other day I am even more convinced that for us to achieve or goals we need to seriously consider the managers position at the club.

Talk of 7-10 or 10-15 years is being mooted, the American owners talk big and are very ambitious, they will clearly want returns on their investment, we have the tools and Ammo in place to have a real shot at this and it must not be a wasted opportunity.

If as is being suggested that they are even looking beyond the Premier League and to the Champions League we have to have the right candidates in place.

My perspective is this, we have a chairman, a ceo, owners and investors that are all every bit Champions League potential, we certainly have a fan base that would be of Champions league standard, at present we have players that look capable of Championship football at times and at other times look League One at best, clearly I accept the players change as you progress up the leagues.

My issue sadly is the boss, I feel he has been very successful mainly at lower league level, I have not been overly convinced he can improve to the level we aspire to, even Championship level looks a big ask. I just feel this set up atm is slightly lacking in a key area and to continue with it could see a couple of years wasted very quickly, we have to be professional and dare I say it, cutthroat. .

I am all for giving people a fair chance, after all I wanted Cook here last summer and was overjoyed when we signed him, since then I'm not so sure. I feel we have to be top-six minimum by the turn of the year, we also need to be in striking distance of top Two and we need a good January transfer window where the defense is strengthened quite considerably.

I would love Cook to prove me wrong and get this team firing because despite what anyone says, Wycombe aside the results and at times performances have disappointed, of course, it's more enjoyable to watch than recent seasons because it could only improve after what we have suffered but it does tend to paper over a few cracks that are still there.

Over to you Cookie, cut the excuses and crap and prove me wrong !!!!
I think you are correct in your thinking BM, quite honestly I would have preferred to see someone like Neil Warnock in charge who has a proven track record in getting teams promoted quickly with the right investment and backing from owners.

User avatar
ashfordblue
Posts: 2515
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:52 pm
Location: Ashford Kent / was Felixstowe

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:08 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:27 pm
Having now seen the crux of the discussions from the meeting the other day I am even more convinced that for us to achieve or goals we need to seriously consider the managers position at the club.

Talk of 7-10 or 10-15 years is being mooted, the American owners talk big and are very ambitious, they will clearly want returns on their investment, we have the tools and Ammo in place to have a real shot at this and it must not be a wasted opportunity.

If as is being suggested that they are even looking beyond the Premier League and to the Champions League we have to have the right candidates in place.

My perspective is this, we have a chairman, a ceo, owners and investors that are all every bit Champions League potential, we certainly have a fan base that would be of Champions league standard, at present we have players that look capable of Championship football at times and at other times look League One at best, clearly I accept the players change as you progress up the leagues.

My issue sadly is the boss, I feel he has been very successful mainly at lower league level, I have not been overly convinced he can improve to the level we aspire to, even Championship level looks a big ask. I just feel this set up atm is slightly lacking in a key area and to continue with it could see a couple of years wasted very quickly, we have to be professional and dare I say it, cutthroat. .

I am all for giving people a fair chance, after all I wanted Cook here last summer and was overjoyed when we signed him, since then I'm not so sure. I feel we have to be top-six minimum by the turn of the year, we also need to be in striking distance of top Two and we need a good January transfer window where the defense is strengthened quite considerably.

I would love Cook to prove me wrong and get this team firing because despite what anyone says, Wycombe aside the results and at times performances have disappointed, of course, it's more enjoyable to watch than recent seasons because it could only improve after what we have suffered but it does tend to paper over a few cracks that are still there.

Over to you Cookie, cut the excuses and crap and prove me wrong !!!!
I think you are correct in your thinking BM, quite honestly I would have preferred to see someone like Neil Warnock in charge who has a proven track record in getting teams promoted quickly with the right investment and backing from owners.
Extra Comment on Neil Warnock he's available at the moment, would be a very good advisor or assistant to PC could show him exactly how to organize a strong team selection, and tactical changes when things aren't going according to plan, he would certainly bring in the right players to get the job done, and he just might straighten Morsy out with these constant bloody yellows

mendipblue
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:48 pm

Re: Why I want Cook replaced.

Post by mendipblue » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Personally I would give PC until mid December. If we are in playoffs then carry on, if not get rid and give a new boss the January window. But not Warnock. But who is out there?

Post Reply