League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tough one to call?

Ipswich Win
47%
Oxford Win
16%
Draw
37%

Total votes: 19

Dubai Blue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:37 am

Thanks for all the reports. It definitely sounds like a 'winning draw'.

Isn't it great to be able to introduce one youngster into an experienced side instead of having to rely on about 5 of them :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:37 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:05 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:19 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:14 pm
i don't think a yellow card in the cup game would see Morsy banned Andy. i think it has to be a league game.
Thanks Liz. I do love his passion but he definitely needs to curb the unnecessary petty aggression in his play which refs enjoy penalising. I think he’s got 4 yellows so far but I’m not sure how many he’s allowed before getting a ban ?
You need 5 for a one match ban, but the slate is wiped clean after 18 games. Nearly there. If you get 10 yellows after 32 games it’s a 2 game ban.

Thanks for this Tang, in the short term then Morsy just has to make sure he doesn’t pick up a yellow in the Sunderland game to avoid a 1 game ban. Is the slate wiped clean ?..... how this reads is that the 4 cards he already has roll over into the second phase during which he can gather a further 5 by Game Week 32 and avoid a 2 game ban.

I understand a third phase kicks in which runs to Week 38 when a 3 match ban is given for 15 accumulated yellow cards.

What I don’t understand is if a player could be given all three bans, or is the slate swiped clean as soon as a ban is served.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:48 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:37 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:05 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Thanks Liz. I do love his passion but he definitely needs to curb the unnecessary petty aggression in his play which refs enjoy penalising. I think he’s got 4 yellows so far but I’m not sure how many he’s allowed before getting a ban ?
You need 5 for a one match ban, but the slate is wiped clean after 18 games. Nearly there. If you get 10 yellows after 32 games it’s a 2 game ban.

Thanks for making that clear Tang, in the short term he just has to make sure he doesn’t pick up a yellow in the Sunderland game to avoid a 1 game ban. Is the slate wiped clean ?..... how this reads is that the 4 he already has roll over into the second phase during which he can gather a further 5 by Game Week 32 to avoid a 2 game ban.
I guess it’s not wiped clean. But if he doesn’t get another yellow after the 18 th game then he’s got another 14 more games to not get another 6. TBH, he’s likely to get another 6 in 14 or 15 games the way he’s going. And he’s also served a 3 match ban for a red whilst at Boro. I suppose it’s more of a breathing space than a wiped slate.

But, thinking just short-term, hope he’s available for Rotherham after Sunderland.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:15 am

What frustrates me about him Tang is the unnecessary cards he picks up by getting involved in situations he could easily avoid.

As I said in an earlier post I simply love his passion for the game but as a Captain he really needs to set a better example in term of his self discipline. If he could just avoid 1 in 4 of his cards it could mean the difference in being available for 6 extra games over a season, surely that’s worth the effort.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:30 am

I think you are right that Morsy gets involved in things he need not, I also think he tries to do too much at times which is partly down to Evans and his occasional limitations

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:12 pm

It seems the Lee Evans topic is a hot topic of conversation amongst Town fans right now ….

There some interesting points made on this twtd thread especially second page …. Here’s the link if anyone is interested guys…

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/522311/tim ... e-team/#26

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:41 pm

It was actually quite an entertaining game for a 0-0, and overall a good advert for the division.

Cannot understand PC saying we deserved to win it though - I thought it was a very fair result.

So - PC was quoted before the game as saying this game would serve as a benchmark for exactly where we are at the moment.
For us to be considered to be in a good place, I would have expected that we needed to win, given that we had home advantage.
We could only manage a draw though - not disastrous by any means but I would say that where we are in the league is about right and there is some way to go yet before we're good enough to make the play-off places. Whether or not we can do that this season remains to be seen.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:33 pm

Imo draw was a fair result. Still don’t see us as a top 6 side and unless additions are made in January will be surprised to see us involved in the playoffs come May.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:56 pm

What additions do you reckon Shed? Left back, centre back? I don't think I'd want extra players elsewhere to be honest.

Would be good to have a second Morsy for the 15 games a season he misses suspended!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:48 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:56 pm
What additions do you reckon Shed? Left back, centre back? I don't think I'd want extra players elsewhere to be honest.

Would be good to have a second Morsy for the 15 games a season he misses suspended!
Well in my opinion Ricco, I think Clements may have solved the Left Back issue for now. I do think we need to bring in another qualified Centre Back and possibly some cover for Morsy with his yellow card count. I suppose we should entertain the idea of another striker as well? With Norwood's fate revealed, and the possibility of a Bonne recall we may need cover there also.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:55 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:41 pm
It was actually quite an entertaining game for a 0-0, and overall a good advert for the division.

Cannot understand PC saying we deserved to win it though - I thought it was a very fair result.

So - PC was quoted before the game as saying this game would serve as a benchmark for exactly where we are at the moment.
For us to be considered to be in a good place, I would have expected that we needed to win, given that we had home advantage.
We could only manage a draw though - not disastrous by any means but I would say that where we are in the league is about right and there is some way to go yet before we're good enough to make the play-off places. Whether or not we can do that this season remains to be seen.
Think I agree. A draw is still a point against top six but does not gain us any places on the top six. 7th 6th and 5th all have games in hand, should they win too, the gap goes from a respectable 4 points to more. Half way in the season is only 6 games away, we really need to be picking up points from the top clubs if we are to get into the playoffs. I agree the performances are much improved but the top 2 now looks like a mountain to climb and the playoffs could start to slip by Xmas if we don't take these points off the top teams now and over the festive period.
I'm off to Sunderland next Saturday, still think we have enough to get the 3 points but any less and towns run up the table will be for nothing. Can't rely on taking points from lower league teams, the top 6 will also be taking points off them too.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:56 pm

Ricco wrote:

Certainly think we need cover for Morsy as don’t think we have anybody else who is up to doing his role. As you say he will no doubt miss some games through suspension and also could pick up an injury.
With regards to Left back position I just don’t rate Penney defensively and Coulson seems to be missing a lot of games through illness and injury. Yes Clements did well yesterday but I feel it would be a big ask for the lad to become our regular LB this season. Therefore, if Coulson continues to miss games then this is another area I feel where we need to strengthen.
If Norwood and Jackson are off in January which I presume they are and Bonne did happen to return to QPR then I would think we would be looking at bringing in another striker.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:25 pm

Any team that can prevent us from scoring during 90 minutes can't be all bad. Never thought this would finish without score and would be unfair to comment on game as caught nothing of it although over 21,000 attendance is commendable. Read bits and pieces here and TWTD, seems the opposition took to "time wasting" during second period and some unsportsmanlike play at times but guess they just wanted to keep the point and make it back west unbeaten.

Seems we have trouble getting goals against opponents, enough to beat them at least and particularly at home. We got players that contribute often but lack the efficiency to really provide a safer advantage during games. If Oxford played spoiler tactics at times yesterday, disappointing for sure but if you look at it from their perspective they clearly had a gameplan and came away with something of an objective.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:33 pm

I think has this been away we may have won, teams will take a point away to us but at home they will expect to win and will be a little more open - which suits us.

Long season ahead but I agree we aren’t likely to challenge the for the top 2 spots now.

Agree a CB is needed in Jan if possible and a LB but only if we can get someone who is top class. A lot depends on fitness - I.e we haven’t really seen a run for Coulsen yet and KVY could be an asset if he can stay fit and get a run.

Attacking-wise it would be hard to improve I think.
We can’t ditch new players who haven’t really had a run just to get new players And hope they hit the ground running - need to be patient.

Be good to be in the play off mid this year and then really attack the league next year if needed.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:56 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:56 pm
Ricco wrote:

Certainly think we need cover for Morsy as don’t think we have anybody else who is up to doing his role. As you say he will no doubt miss some games through suspension and also could pick up an injury.
With regards to Left back position I just don’t rate Penney defensively and Coulson seems to be missing a lot of games through illness and injury. Yes Clements did well yesterday but I feel it would be a big ask for the lad to become our regular LB this season. Therefore, if Coulson continues to miss games then this is another area I feel where we need to strengthen.
If Norwood and Jackson are off in January which I presume they are and Bonne did happen to return to QPR then I would think we would be looking at bringing in another striker.
Without trying to play devil's advocate in any way shape or form, I think the best addition we could make in January is... a new manager.

And as for Jackson - I've said repeatedly on this forum that he won't be going anywhere. Aside from nobody else wanting him, I know somebody who knows him really well, and according to him Jackson is perfectly happy just to collect his wages every week

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:09 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:56 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:56 pm
Ricco wrote:

Without trying to play devil's advocate in any way shape or form, I think the best addition we could make in January is... a new manager.

And as for Jackson - I've said repeatedly on this forum that he won't be going anywhere. Aside from nobody else wanting him, I know somebody who knows him really well, and according to him Jackson is perfectly happy just to collect his wages every week
Is his contract up in the summer? If so I was wondering if the club will pay it up just to get him off the books.
As for the new manager comment :lol: I’m not at all convinced he is the man to take us up but can’t see the owners even considering replacing him until the end of the season. Even then I think they will stick with him for the start of next season unless we have a terrible 2nd this season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:28 pm

If Cook was sacked ( which I can’t see happening ), it wouldn’t be just him that leaves, but his whole back room staff . This kind of reshuffle right now, would complete lunacy .

Our American owners will demand a suitable response to their acquisition but they are, it seems, far more patient than some of the fans of this Club, thankfully. The last thing we need right now is a new manager. The remit is “to get out of this division as soon as possible “( Brett Johnson). Whilst desirable, he is not saying …” this season”. I’d say that’s unrealistic, given the wholesale changes that have happened at this Club.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:28 pm
If Cook was sacked ( which I can’t see happening ), it wouldn’t be just him that leaves, but his whole back room staff . This kind of reshuffle right now, would complete lunacy .

Our American owners will demand a suitable response to their acquisition but they are, it seems, far more patient than some of the fans of this Club, thankfully. The last thing we need right now is a new manager. The remit is “to get out of this division as soon as possible “( Brett Johnson). Whilst desirable, he is not saying …” this season”. I’d say that’s unrealistic, given the wholesale changes that have happened at this Club.
I wouldn’t have agreed 3 weeks ago, but I do now. Cook or bust for this season!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:27 pm

Lol… well we’ve only lost 3 games over last 2months , so I’d say things are improving quite a bit. We’re not even at the half way stage in the season yet .