If not Cook ….. then who ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by goldandblack » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:25 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 am
goldandblack wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:20 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:17 pm
Lol, I’d stop watching Town if he ever came back here … which he won’t , coz he simply isn’t good enough and incapable of producing the brand of football our owners ( and fans) want at this Club.

For me McCarthy is a sticking plaster for any club needing to steady their ship. I’ll tell you a club that could have find with him ( but it’s too late now ), and that’s Derby County !
Mick ? I was talking about Dave Edwards, you've got MM on the brain, :wink:
Lol I thought you were talking about McCarthy coz the article is all about him ….yer WUM ha ha :lol:
was MM on that link then, i didn't notice that , come to think about it we haven't had a thread/ discussion on Mick for ages, :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:20 pm

He’s yesterday’s news John , that’s why :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:22 pm

He’s yesterday’s news John, that’s why :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:16 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:22 pm
did you have to say it twice to convince yourself or me Liz LOL.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:22 pm
did you have to say it twice to convince yourself or me Liz LOL.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Interesting read. Another who’s got no Plan B

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59327793

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:27 pm

That is interesting, looks like he is finally coming to the end.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:28 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Cardiff isn't no nice place with or without McCarthy. Swansea's what forty miles to the west but it's streets ahead in terms of design, vibrancy and attraction. Much reduced crime level also.

McCarthy maybe won't get employed again. He's had a good run but needs to accept as a managerial figure that his time has passed. Still regret to this day that we brought him in after Jewell was it. An absolute banal mundane demeanor at attempting to get things done.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:31 pm

tangfastic wrote:

Perry Ng: Cardiff 'wasn't a nice place' under ex-boss Mick McCarthy

That statement sums up football today, which you see time and time again against good managers,
Imagine the likes of Bill Shankly, Don Revie, Sir Alex, or Cloughie, etc. reaction to that statement,
They never had a plan B, as the team/players were good enough and also needed to keep their job, the manager was the boss.
As for a Plan B, an old saying, “you can’t make a purse out of a pigs ear” If a player/team isn’t good enough blame the manager, there not going to blame themselves,

they seemed to listen when they went on that 11 unbeaten run when he started, perhaps they were more interested in getting a new contract.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:05 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:31 pm
tangfastic wrote:

That statement sums up football today, which you see time and time again against good managers,
Imagine the likes of Bill Shankly, Don Revie, Sir Alex, or Cloughie, etc. reaction to that statement,
They never had a plan B, as the team/players were good enough and also needed to keep their job, the manager was the boss.
As for a Plan B, an old saying, “you can’t make a purse out of a pigs ear” If a player/team isn’t good enough blame the manager, there not going to blame themselves,

they seemed to listen when they went on that 11 unbeaten run when he started, perhaps they were more interested in getting a new contract.
Maybe they did, but Mick got a new 4 year contract in the summer as well. Mick’s done pretty well in his career. Nowhere near as good as the manager’s you listed or played anywhere as good football as them, but he’s lasted longer than most and had his successes. But not sure he’s still got it. That record of 8 straight losses is pretty damning for a manager who was known for safety first football and every points a prisoner.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:19 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:05 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:31 pm
tangfastic wrote:

Maybe they did, but Mick got a new 4 year contract in the summer as well. Mick’s done pretty well in his career. Nowhere near as good as the manager’s you listed or played anywhere as good football as them, but he’s lasted longer than most and had his successes. But not sure he’s still got it. That record of 8 straight losses is pretty damning for a manager who was known for safety first football and every points a prisoner.
my point is players wouldn't decide those managers futures, (well except Leeds & Clough which adds to my view)they certainly do now, I remember Kenny Jacket writing an article on what I'm saying,
he proved he was right at the Wolves,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:16 pm

Do you feel that’s the case with Paul Cook, G&B? Obviously you’re a big supporter of MM, I’m just curious what you think of Cook?

I can’t think of any manager who would come to ITFC in league one and do much better than Cook.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:56 pm

There's currently Nine managers above us in League One doing better jobs with vastly inferior budgets and squads.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:56 pm
There's currently Nine managers above us in League One doing better jobs with vastly inferior budgets and squads.
Good point, but how would they do with our current squad?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:29 pm

Impossible to say really, I think a couple of them are excellent lower league managers who have probably never had such luxury as our squad would provide.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:00 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:16 pm
Do you feel that’s the case with Paul Cook, G&B? Obviously you’re a big supporter of MM, I’m just curious what you think of Cook?

I can’t think of any manager who would come to ITFC in league one and do much better than Cook.
Don't really know a lot about Paul Cook the manager,or a valid opinion, except he played for us and we saved him from the jaws/beaks of Norwich,
getting back on topic, In all honesty i do believe MM has now passed his sell by date, my gripe is folk slagging him off, the best football i see at Wolves in 30 yrs was under MM, Thats what i judged him on, plus as to Hallams quote ".yer a WUM G & B ha ha :lol:"
also keeps a bit of banter going, :wink: