If not Cook ….. then who ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:46 pm

Ok guys, I appreciate we all have different opinions on the Club and I accept that .
Whilst I’m certainly not in the “ replace Paul Cook “ camp ( I personally feel atm he’s doing ok in these early stages ), but others clearly feel differently.

So that being the case, who would people think would be a better replacement, and why you think they would join a League One Club (from either their current Club), or if they would be available right now?

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 14283
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:18 pm

I can’t see Paul Cook going anywhere anytime soon Liz unless his team implodes imminently. Now his defence are looking much better organised I can only see this team improving so changing the manager at this time in my opinion would be reckless.

It will be interesting to see what others think and who they would realistically replace him with.

Kerry Blue
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:20 pm

I don't think anyone that's any better would come to Ipswich, Cook is proven at this level and he can only be judged from this season IMO, should Bobby Robson and Alex Ferguson have been replaced because they had poor starts at Town and Man U 🤔

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7523
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:33 am

If we were looking for a manager from a league 1 club then Ryan Lowe would be my choice.
He has done a great job at Plymouth and before that did well at Bury. Obviously would be a tough task to get him to leave Plymouth but with our new owners and their plans for the future he might be tempted. One thing for sure I don’t think there would be a shortage of applicants for the job. I know it has been rumoured that Appleton was somebody the new owners were interested in but I wouldn’t be keen on him.
What I would say is that having listened to the fans forum the other night I was surprised to hear that there had already been discussions about what happens to the club when it is eventually sold again. It shows that the new owners certainly like to think ahead and if this is the case then they may already be thinking of who they feel would be a good replacement for PC if things don’t work out.
For me if we don’t finish in the top 6 this season then I see it as failure.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3869
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:49 am

Come on guys, Cook isn’t going anywhere this season. How many managers will it take to get ITFC back to the top…or even the Championship?? We’ve improved from last season…it could take another one to get promoted. Sorry it’s the truth. I said at the beginning of the season I’d give up…but we are improving. Patience is a virtue.

tangfastic
Posts: 4124
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by tangfastic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:39 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:33 am
If we were looking for a manager from a league 1 club then Ryan Lowe would be my choice.
He has done a great job at Plymouth and before that did well at Bury.
Obviously would be a tough task to get him to leave Plymouth but with our new owners and their plans for the future he might be tempted. One thing for sure I don’t think there would be a shortage of applicants for the job. I know it has been rumoured that Appleton was somebody the new owners were interested in but I wouldn’t be keen on him.
What I would say is that having listened to the fans forum the other night I was surprised to hear that there had already been discussions about what happens to the club when it is eventually sold again. It shows that the new owners certainly like to think ahead and if this is the case then they may already be thinking of who they feel would be a good replacement for PC if things don’t work out.
For me if we don’t finish in the top 6 this season then I see it as failure.
Paul Cook also did a great job at Wigan and Pompey. And Chesterfield.

So what happens when Ryan Lowe doesn’t hit the ground running? Honeymoon period over and so the knives come out and we’re back into the cycle of bombing a manager out and getting the next messiah in, discrediting him and booting him out. Rinse and repeat.

No-one’s saying our start was good or not underwhelming.

Cook’s football is simple. One formation and based on attacking football and getting players forward. That also leaves us vulnerable at the back. Bit too naive at times for me, but I prefer that to the safety first, overly dull and pragmatic style of football we’ve had in the past. It’s worked for Cook before and, given time, could well work for us. And if it does, it’s going to be both successful and entertaining. Just see it out. Even with our bad start, we’re only a few wins away from top six with 29 games to go.

If you want a manager who can give you multiple formations and tinker then we should have stuck with Lambert. He could mix things up and after 2 1/2 years we had a team who looked like strangers and played at a walking pace. However, it leaked less goals even if it couldn’t buy a goal.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24810
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:54 am

I don't for one second think Cook is going anywhere anytime soon, should that change however they would be falling over themselves to apply for the post.

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7523
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:39 am
Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:33 am
If we were looking for a manager from a league 1 club then Ryan Lowe would be my choice.
He has done a great job at Plymouth and before that did well at Bury.
Obviously would be a tough task to get him to leave Plymouth but with our new owners and their plans for the future he might be tempted. One thing for sure I don’t think there would be a shortage of applicants for the job. I know it has been rumoured that Appleton was somebody the new owners were interested in but I wouldn’t be keen on him.
What I would say is that having listened to the fans forum the other night I was surprised to hear that there had already been discussions about what happens to the club when it is eventually sold again. It shows that the new owners certainly like to think ahead and if this is the case then they may already be thinking of who they feel would be a good replacement for PC if things don’t work out.
For me if we don’t finish in the top 6 this season then I see it as failure.
Paul Cook also did a great job at Wigan and Pompey. And Chesterfield.

So what happens when Ryan Lowe doesn’t hit the ground running? Honeymoon period over and so the knives come out and we’re back into the cycle of bombing a manager out and getting the next messiah in, discrediting him and booting him out. Rinse and repeat.

No-one’s saying our start was good or not underwhelming.

Cook’s football is simple. One formation and based on attacking football and getting players forward. That also leaves us vulnerable at the back. Bit too naive at times for me, but I prefer that to the safety first, overly dull and pragmatic style of football we’ve had in the past. It’s worked for Cook before and, given time, could well work for us. And if it does, it’s going to be both successful and entertaining. Just see it out. Even with our bad start, we’re only a few wins away from top six with 29 games to go.

If you want a manager who can give you multiple formations and tinker then we should have stuck with Lambert. He could mix things up and after 2 1/2 years we had a team who looked like strangers and played at a walking pace. However, it leaked less goals even if it couldn’t buy a goal.
As I said on the Oxford thread unless we completely fold in the 2nd half of the season then Cook won’t be going anywhere yet. However, as I have already said imo if we fail to make the top 6 this season with the backing Cook has been given then I would regard that as failure.
Yes I agree the football has been better but let’s be honest it would be bloody difficult for it to get any worse than it was under Lambert. My concern is if things don’t appear to be working with Cook that again like with previous managers we will keep saying give it a bit longer.
Out of interest what would you say is success or failure this season? How long would you give Cook if we don’t finish in the top 6 this season?

tangfastic
Posts: 4124
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by tangfastic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:55 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 am
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:39 am
Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:33 am
If we were looking for a manager from a league 1 club then Ryan Lowe would be my choice.
He has done a great job at Plymouth and before that did well at Bury.
Obviously would be a tough task to get him to leave Plymouth but with our new owners and their plans for the future he might be tempted. One thing for sure I don’t think there would be a shortage of applicants for the job. I know it has been rumoured that Appleton was somebody the new owners were interested in but I wouldn’t be keen on him.
What I would say is that having listened to the fans forum the other night I was surprised to hear that there had already been discussions about what happens to the club when it is eventually sold again. It shows that the new owners certainly like to think ahead and if this is the case then they may already be thinking of who they feel would be a good replacement for PC if things don’t work out.
For me if we don’t finish in the top 6 this season then I see it as failure.
Paul Cook also did a great job at Wigan and Pompey. And Chesterfield.

So what happens when Ryan Lowe doesn’t hit the ground running? Honeymoon period over and so the knives come out and we’re back into the cycle of bombing a manager out and getting the next messiah in, discrediting him and booting him out. Rinse and repeat.

No-one’s saying our start was good or not underwhelming.

Cook’s football is simple. One formation and based on attacking football and getting players forward. That also leaves us vulnerable at the back. Bit too naive at times for me, but I prefer that to the safety first, overly dull and pragmatic style of football we’ve had in the past. It’s worked for Cook before and, given time, could well work for us. And if it does, it’s going to be both successful and entertaining. Just see it out. Even with our bad start, we’re only a few wins away from top six with 29 games to go.

If you want a manager who can give you multiple formations and tinker then we should have stuck with Lambert. He could mix things up and after 2 1/2 years we had a team who looked like strangers and played at a walking pace. However, it leaked less goals even if it couldn’t buy a goal.
As I said on the Oxford thread unless we completely fold in the 2nd half of the season then Cook won’t be going anywhere yet. However, as I have already said imo if we fail to make the top 6 this season with the backing Cook has been given then I would regard that as failure.
Yes I agree the football has been better but let’s be honest it would be bloody difficult for it to get any worse than it was under Lambert. My concern is if things don’t appear to be working with Cook that again like with previous managers we will keep saying give it a bit longer.
Out of interest what would you say is success or failure this season? How long would you give Cook if we don’t finish in the top 6 this season?
Well top two and/or top six were both reasonable targets…or were at least were leading up to the start of this season. If we don’t make top six that would be a big disappointment whichever way you look at it.

But if we finish the season as the top form club (say, last 10-15 games) and finish 7th - would you rip up his contract? Maybe, but there’s a big argument to suggest you could carry that form into the start of next season. I’d probably stick with him under those circumstances, but it would also depend on the fans. If we’re still getting 20,000+ crowds who are enjoying coming to PR then that’s a big plus. If the crowds are dwindling and you can feel the underlying apathy- then could be time to go.

If over the next 10 games we look like we’re going backwards and not making even any progression, I’d be joining the doubters. And that would also apply at the back of the season.
Just feel there has been progression lately and we’re getting the core of the side in place. We can’t undo the start of this season, but we could undo the future by tearing up what we’ve already started. And there’s no guarantee the next manager will come in and make a positive difference.

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:40 am

I’ve maintained since the take over that any manager coming in to get things going would take the whole of this season for this new squad to truly bed in. The changes at the club have been massive (a reset that has been 100% needed) .

Therefore, to make the top 6 in my view, should be deemed a “success”. Any promotion from that, frankly incredible!

To change the manager ( and his back room staff) now or even at the end of the season would be absolute lunacy in my humble opinion) A scab never heals if you keep picking at it. Sometimes TIME has to be allowed to do it’s job once measures are out in place. An ingredient sadly missing in football today !

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7523
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:36 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:55 am
Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:26 am
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:39 am


Paul Cook also did a great job at Wigan and Pompey. And Chesterfield.

So what happens when Ryan Lowe doesn’t hit the ground running? Honeymoon period over and so the knives come out and we’re back into the cycle of bombing a manager out and getting the next messiah in, discrediting him and booting him out. Rinse and repeat.

No-one’s saying our start was good or not underwhelming.

Cook’s football is simple. One formation and based on attacking football and getting players forward. That also leaves us vulnerable at the back. Bit too naive at times for me, but I prefer that to the safety first, overly dull and pragmatic style of football we’ve had in the past. It’s worked for Cook before and, given time, could well work for us. And if it does, it’s going to be both successful and entertaining. Just see it out. Even with our bad start, we’re only a few wins away from top six with 29 games to go.

If you want a manager who can give you multiple formations and tinker then we should have stuck with Lambert. He could mix things up and after 2 1/2 years we had a team who looked like strangers and played at a walking pace. However, it leaked less goals even if it couldn’t buy a goal.
As I said on the Oxford thread unless we completely fold in the 2nd half of the season then Cook won’t be going anywhere yet. However, as I have already said imo if we fail to make the top 6 this season with the backing Cook has been given then I would regard that as failure.
Yes I agree the football has been better but let’s be honest it would be bloody difficult for it to get any worse than it was under Lambert. My concern is if things don’t appear to be working with Cook that again like with previous managers we will keep saying give it a bit longer.
Out of interest what would you say is success or failure this season? How long would you give Cook if we don’t finish in the top 6 this season?
Well top two and/or top six were both reasonable targets…or were at least were leading up to the start of this season. If we don’t make top six that would be a big disappointment whichever way you look at it.

But if we finish the season as the top form club (say, last 10-15 games) and finish 7th - would you rip up his contract? Maybe, but there’s a big argument to suggest you could carry that form into the start of next season. I’d probably stick with him under those circumstances, but it would also depend on the fans. If we’re still getting 20,000+ crowds who are enjoying coming to PR then that’s a big plus. If the crowds are dwindling and you can feel the underlying apathy- then could be time to go.

If over the next 10 games we look like we’re going backwards and not making even any progression, I’d be joining the doubters. And that would also apply at the back of the season.
Just feel there has been progression lately and we’re getting the core of the side in place. We can’t undo the start of this season, but we could undo the future by tearing up what we’ve already started. And there’s no guarantee the next manager will come in and make a positive difference.
For me the bar in terms of success at ITFC has been too low for far to long now.
If we fail to make the top 6 then yes I do think we should be looking elsewhere for a manager. Do I think the owners will do this? Probably not. However, if they don’t I really hope that they make it perfectly clear to PC that a start to next season like this one would be totally unacceptable and his time would be up very quickly.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24810
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:17 am

Exactly how I feel Shed, we have a incredible chance of getting back to where we belong under this ownership and I don't care who it upsets along the way, we can't afford bloody sentiment for 2 or 3 seasons because we like someone, I've been guilty of that in the past, not anymore. For me the next 6 games are pivotal to how our season goes, if we mess up and top six looks a tall ask that is without question a massive failure given our backing and investment. I don't agree with the time frame it takes following such upheaval, we only have to look at Wigan who had the same number of new signings, they are showing us how to do it, maybe we've got the wrong man and should go for the brains of the outfit.

User avatar
AzzurroMark
Posts: 1801
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:17 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:25 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:36 am

If we fail to make the top 6 then yes I do think we should be looking elsewhere for a manager. Do I think the owners will do this? Probably not. However, if they don’t I really hope that they make it perfectly clear to PC that a start to next season like this one would be totally unacceptable and his time would be up very quickly.
I think that, even as a fan of PC, is very reasonable. I want a top 6 finish this season and ideally promotion as a result of it. With continued improvement i still feel that goal is very much achievable. I would rather be building a head of steam up and charging into the play-offs than a team clinging on to a top 6 spot with poor form going into the play-offs.
That said, if we fail to get promotion, say finishing close to the top 6, it should not spell the end of PC (providing we were still playing very good football). However a poor start to the following campaign and I don't think many could stomach a further season of L1 unless they could see automatic promotion, no less, as the end result.

In summary i am saying promotion is not essential (for me) this season, however the following season any poor start to next season which could impact a final Top 2 finish, might tip the balance. As for likely replacements at that point? I have not paid much thought to any individuals, but i would like to think the club would push the boat out to grt a manager in who has had experience of Premier League campaigns.

User avatar
Shed on tour
Posts: 7523
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:21 pm

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:47 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:17 am
Exactly how I feel Shed, we have a incredible chance of getting back to where we belong under this ownership and I don't care who it upsets along the way, we can't afford bloody sentiment for 2 or 3 seasons because we like someone, I've been guilty of that in the past, not anymore. For me the next 6 games are pivotal to how our season goes, if we mess up and top six looks a tall ask that is without question a massive failure given our backing and investment. I don't agree with the time frame it takes following such upheaval, we only have to look at Wigan who had the same number of new signings, they are showing us how to do it, maybe we've got the wrong man and should go for the brains of the outfit.
Mike I always listen to others opinions and respect them but sometimes I do feel like I’m watching a repeat of Only Fools & Horses and keep hearing Del Boy say “ This Time Next Year”. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24810
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:41 pm

Yep me too and hold my hands up, I've also been guilty of it. I would love Cook to succeed and prove me wrong, I shouted his name out to come here for christ sake but any sentiment has gone, its results or goodbye in my eyes, sick of excuses.

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:56 pm

Well if this Club sacks the manager ( and by virtue of that) all his backroom staff, this Club will be making a BIG mistake and will take even longer to get out of this division.

On the issue of comparing Clubs…

Wigan have had new players (16) in, compared to our (19).

On the assumption that the EFL named squad limit is 21 players , this must mean that Wigan have 5 players included in their final named squad that are not new (which equates to half a team), compared to Town who brought in 19 new players and have 2 players retained from other previous season.

So Wigan have had less upheaval than us on the playing squad , AND they have essentially kept their backroom infrastructure intact ….a big difference IMHO.


Paul Cooks over point per game ratio is consistently high. This has only changed since he joined us. I would speculate this has been skewed by the fuckwit squad he inherited who decided to down tools after the take over was announced and in the full knowledge they would be sent packing, so why would they bother? This was followed by the new squad not winning any of their first 8 games.

These skewing factors occur over approximately a 6 month period and do not reflect his OVERALL managerial qualities. If you exclude Town from his stats he has very good ppm ratios over ALL his managerial positions.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24810
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:23 pm

You know what Liz, I'm not sure its anything to do with any of that, however what I do know is this, look at Wigans last Three league games......

Formation played....

3-4-1-2
3-5-2
4-2-3-1

That's what I call being a good manager, not only having a plan B but also a Plan C, shaking it up so you aren't predictable and one dimensional, teams know what to expect from us, I bet Richardson changes it up during games too when things aren't going to plan.

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:23 pm

But all through Cooks managerial career he’s preferred 4-2-3-1 and he’s been very successful hadn’t he , and opponents would know his line up . So I don’t get it either .

All managers have their preferred formations
(and by and large tend to stick with it). Dean Smith is recorded as preferring 4-2-3-1, as is Klopp , whilst Ryan Lowe has preferred 1-3-5-2 at all of his clubs….

I get what you’re saying about flexibility , but if we are winning games and getting points why would you change it ? Town started slowly ( understandably), but we have been doing well since then by and large. We are playing the top 6 in consecutive games at present and so far have got 4 out of 9 possible points. The previous 3 games we got 6 out of 9 .
I said to you before the season started Town would find it a lot harder at home because opponents would come here , shut up shop and try to hit us in the break . They have . I also said we do better away from home… without looking at results , I think we have. The ONLY reason we are where we are at or sent is that 8 game slow start … which given the mass overhaul is not unexpected ( to me anyway) or I feel unreasonable. We’re not even at the half way stage yet - 7 games off it in fact or 22 more points to scrap for. Far too early to start talking about managers “ faults” and a need to sack him.

For the minute I think he’s doing alright and wr ARE climbing the league and improving our chances. Do I realistically expect promotion. ? No. I happen to think it’s unrealistic given the changes. Do I want promotion ? Yes most definitely, but given the changes we may have to wait another season .

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:34 pm

Form table over last 6 games :


GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Plymouth 6 5 1 0 15 5 +10 16
2 Rotherham 6 4 2 0 15 3 +12 14
3 Oxford Utd 6 4 1 1 11 6 +5 13
4 Wigan Athletic 6 4 0 2 13 6 +7 12
5 Ipswich Town 6 3 2 1 13 6 +7 11
6 Charlton 6 3 1 2 10 6 +4 10
7 Milton Keynes 6 3 0 3 11 9 +2 9
8 Lincoln City 6 2 3 1 8 7 +1 9
9 Sheffield Wed 6 1 5 0 10 7 +3 8
10 Cheltenham 6 2 2 2 9 9 0 8
11 Wycombe 6 2 2 2 8 9 -1 8
12 Accrington 6 2 2 2 8 10 -2 8
13 Cambridge Utd 6 2 2 2 7 10 -3 8
14 Portsmouth 6 2 2 2 6 11 -5 8
15 Shrewsbury 6 2 1 3 8 8 0 7
16 Gillingham 6 1 3 2 5 7 -2 6
17 Burton Albion 6 2 0 4 6 10 -4 6
18 Sunderland 6 2 0 4 7 14 -7 6
19 AFC Wimbledon 6 1 2 3 4 9 -5 5
20 Doncaster 6 1 2 3 5 11 -6 5
21 Fleetwood 6 1 1 4 10 11 -1 4
22 Bolton 6 1 1 4 4 11 -7 4
23 Morecambe 6 0 1 5 8 16 -8 1
24 Crewe Alexandra 6 0 1 5 3 16 -13 1

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 24810
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:23 pm
But all through Cooks managerial career he’s preferred 4-2-3-1 and he’s been very successful hadn’t he , and opponents would know his line up . So I don’t get it either .

All managers have their preferred formations
(and by and large tend to stick with it). Dean Smith is recorded as preferring 4-2-3-1, as is Klopp , whilst Ryan Lowe has preferred 1-3-5-2 at all of his clubs….

I get what you’re saying about flexibility , but if we are winning games and getting points why would you change it ? Town started slowly ( understandably), but we have been doing well since then by and large. We are playing the top 6 in consecutive games at present and so far have got 4 out of 9 possible points. The previous 3 games we got 6 out of 9 .
I said to you before the season started Town would find it a lot harder at home because opponents would come here , shut up shop and try to hit us in the break . They have . I also said we do better away from home… without looking at results , I think we have. The ONLY reason we are where we are at or sent is that 8 game slow start … which given the mass overhaul is not unexpected ( to me anyway) or I feel unreasonable. We’re not even at the half way stage yet - 7 games off it in fact or 22 more points to scrap for. Far too early to start talking about managers “ faults” and a need to sack him.

For the minute I think he’s doing alright and wr ARE climbing the league and improving our chances. Do I realistically expect promotion. ? No. I happen to think it’s unrealistic given the changes. Do I want promotion ? Yes most definitely, but given the changes we may have to wait another season .
I totally get what you are saying and maybe I'm being very harsh and unrealistic, to be perfectly honest part of me doesn't know why I feel the way I do, I actually hate it and it completely goes against the grain as I'm normally the one battling to the end to defend our manager, I think I actually see this as our last chance to ever get back to even being close to where we should be and I don't want to see it messed up and therefore am prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve it. The one thing I don't agree with in your post is that promotion may have to wait until next season, we have enough here to at least go up through the play offs, I can't accept the likes of Plymouth and Wigan are better equipped over 46 games, I just can't see that.

valleyroad
Posts: 318
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by valleyroad » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:14 pm

Fergie at his peak wouldn't have been good enough for some?
Paul Cook is doing fine. 16 games in with new squad and for me starting to come together. I don't think Ipswich will be far away come the end of the season. I personally think they will go up to Championship.

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:44 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:23 pm
But all through Cooks managerial career he’s preferred 4-2-3-1 and he’s been very successful hadn’t he , and opponents would know his line up . So I don’t get it either .

All managers have their preferred formations
(and by and large tend to stick with it). Dean Smith is recorded as preferring 4-2-3-1, as is Klopp , whilst Ryan Lowe has preferred 1-3-5-2 at all of his clubs….

I get what you’re saying about flexibility , but if we are winning games and getting points why would you change it ? Town started slowly ( understandably), but we have been doing well since then by and large. We are playing the top 6 in consecutive games at present and so far have got 4 out of 9 possible points. The previous 3 games we got 6 out of 9 .
I said to you before the season started Town would find it a lot harder at home because opponents would come here , shut up shop and try to hit us in the break . They have . I also said we do better away from home… without looking at results , I think we have. The ONLY reason we are where we are at or sent is that 8 game slow start … which given the mass overhaul is not unexpected ( to me anyway) or I feel unreasonable. We’re not even at the half way stage yet - 7 games off it in fact or 22 more points to scrap for. Far too early to start talking about managers “ faults” and a need to sack him.

For the minute I think he’s doing alright and wr ARE climbing the league and improving our chances. Do I realistically expect promotion. ? No. I happen to think it’s unrealistic given the changes. Do I want promotion ? Yes most definitely, but given the changes we may have to wait another season .
I totally get what you are saying and maybe I'm being very harsh and unrealistic, to be perfectly honest part of me doesn't know why I feel the way I do, I actually hate it and it completely goes against the grain as I'm normally the one battling to the end to defend our manager, I think I actually see this as our last chance to ever get back to even being close to where we should be and I don't want to see it messed up and therefore am prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve it. The one thing I don't agree with in your post is that promotion may have to wait until next season, we have enough here to at least go up through the play offs, I can't accept the likes of Plymouth and Wigan are better equipped over 46 games, I just can't see that.
Hey Mikey, not to worry :D we both know we want Town to do well . I think us fans have had a belly full for nearly two decades now and it’s tiring isn’t it .. I think we’ve just got to try and enjoy this season , and I can’t wait to get mobile again and do a few away days with you 👍 .

Keep the faith , COYBs x

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:30 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:14 pm
Fergie at his peak wouldn't have been good enough for some?
Paul Cook is doing fine. 16 games in with new squad and for me starting to come together. I don't think Ipswich will be far away come the end of the season. I personally think they will go up to Championship.
I hope you’re right VR … fingers crossed eh !

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 4386
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:46 pm
Ok guys, I appreciate we all have different opinions on the Club and I accept that .
Whilst I’m certainly not in the “ replace Paul Cook “ camp ( I personally feel atm he’s doing ok in these early stages ), but others clearly feel differently.

So that being the case, who would people think would be a better replacement, and why you think they would join a League One Club (from either their current Club), or if they would be available right now?
an interesting read Lis, Only a thought tho :wink: I'll get me coat :?
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -for-long/

tangfastic
Posts: 4124
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by tangfastic » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:10 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:46 pm
Ok guys, I appreciate we all have different opinions on the Club and I accept that .
Whilst I’m certainly not in the “ replace Paul Cook “ camp ( I personally feel atm he’s doing ok in these early stages ), but others clearly feel differently.

So that being the case, who would people think would be a better replacement, and why you think they would join a League One Club (from either their current Club), or if they would be available right now?
an interesting read Lis, Only a thought tho :wink: I'll get me coat :?
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -for-long/
We’d have to buy a new squad for him. We’ve only got four CB’s in the squad….

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:17 pm

Lol, I’d stop watching Town if he ever came back here … which he won’t , coz he simply isn’t good enough and incapable of producing the brand of football our owners ( and fans) want at this Club.

For me McCarthy is a sticking plaster for any club needing to steady their ship. I’ll tell you a club that could have find with him ( but it’s too late now ), and that’s Derby County !

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3869
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:44 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm
an interesting read Lis, Only a thought tho :wink: I'll get me coat :?
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -for-long/
Hey Wolfie that link didn't work...I thought it would take me to something important. :lol:

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 4386
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:17 pm
Lol, I’d stop watching Town if he ever came back here … which he won’t , coz he simply isn’t good enough and incapable of producing the brand of football our owners ( and fans) want at this Club.

For me McCarthy is a sticking plaster for any club needing to steady their ship. I’ll tell you a club that could have find with him ( but it’s too late now ), and that’s Derby County !
Mick ? I was talking about Dave Edwards, you've got MM on the brain, :wink:

User avatar
goldandblack
Posts: 4386
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:48 am
Location: in the doghouse

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by goldandblack » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:21 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:44 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm
an interesting read Lis, Only a thought tho :wink: I'll get me coat :?
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -for-long/
Hey Wolfie that link didn't work...I thought it would take me to something important. :lol:
how would you know 9, it wasn't in brail :lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue
Posts: 26975
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: If not Cook ….. then who ?

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 am

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:20 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:17 pm
Lol, I’d stop watching Town if he ever came back here … which he won’t , coz he simply isn’t good enough and incapable of producing the brand of football our owners ( and fans) want at this Club.

For me McCarthy is a sticking plaster for any club needing to steady their ship. I’ll tell you a club that could have find with him ( but it’s too late now ), and that’s Derby County !
Mick ? I was talking about Dave Edwards, you've got MM on the brain, :wink:
Lol I thought you were talking about McCarthy coz the article is all about him ….yer WUM ha ha :lol:

Post Reply