FA Cup Replay - Oldham Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

We don't normally have a second FA Cup game each season ;-)

Oldham Win
23%
Ipswich Win
77%
Penalties
No votes

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

FA Cup Replay - Oldham Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:24 pm

Image Oldham Athletic vs Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 16th November 2021 – 19:45

Boundary Park

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

A Decent Point, But Is It Enough

Saturday's goaless draw with Oxford United was on the face of it a decent, hard earned Point against a capable top Six side, a game which started with Oxford in the ascendancy swung Town’s way the longer it went on, the second half definitely saw Town take the game to our visitors but unfortunately we failed to find that moment of magic which would have given us the much needed win we probably just deserved.

I ask myself though, was a draw enough given the position we find ourselves in? Draws won't close the gap on the top teams and they games need to be won, especially at home so for me in some ways it was a tad disappointing to only pick up a Point. I keep reading comments about how our form is much improved and we need to forget about the opening games, personally I find that a little strange, yes the form is better but as I repeatedly state those Eight games could well play a massive part on how our season pans out, normally draws in this type of fixture are fine, however in our position they don't improve our situation.

The debut of young Bailey Clements at Left Back was very impressive indeed and he has thrust himself into the first team picture, with Coulsen always injured and Penney not setting the world alight Clements could well be a revelation, I do question if he would be ready to see out the season though and it could be that a Left Back is one of our priorities come January, Centre Midfield and another Striker would also be high on my list of signings, especially with Norwood and Jackson looking likely to move on, not to mention the Macauley Bonne situation.

Tuesday evenings FA Cup replay at Boundary Park will probably see Paul Cook go with a slightly different approach to that which he went with in the home game when we basically lined up at full strength, he has stated we will again go strong so I can see players like Hladky, Clements, Woolfenden, Burgess, El Mizouni, Harper, Fraser and Pigott all starting, in truth that should still easily be enough to see off the second worse team in the country, with a home game in the second round against League Two Barrow the incentive is there to won this one.

Despite our failings at Portman Road to get the job done I can't for the life of me see us messing this up again so I am confidently going for a routine Town win by a couple of goals. The March to Wembley gathers pace. COYB'S

The Opposition – Oldham Athletic

In July 1895, licensee John Garland with his son formed a football club named Pine Villa Football Club with a group of friends inside the Featherstall & Junction Inn. The club was initially named after the Pine Mill whose shadow the club played in. The term Villa is thought to have originated due to Aston Villa's dominance at the time of formation. The club changed its appearance and name in 1899 to Oldham Athletic Football Club. The club immediately gained professional status and played in both the Lancashire Combination and Lancashire League. Unlike many clubs, Oldham Athletic gained quick success and gained acceptance into the Football League in 1907–08. After three years in the Second Division, Latics gained promotion to the First Division.

Within a couple of seasons, Oldham had announced themselves serious contenders, finishing 4th in the league in 1912–13, and reaching the F.A. Cup semi-finals the same season, losing out 1–0 versus Aston Villa. In 1914–15, Latics reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup but were knocked out once again after a 0–3 replay against Sheffield United. In the league that season they almost won it all; Latics lost the league by one point, as close as they have ever come to winning the league. Latics early success was only halted by the First World War.

Following the return of competitive football after the First World War, Oldham Athletic struggled to find their early success before they returned to the Second Division in 1923 – it would be another 68 years before they played top division football again.

Many of the players from their former squads had either retired from football or had been killed in the war. Their highest success came in the 1929–30 season as they finished in 3rd, missing out on promotion by finishing two points behind Chelsea. From then on they slowly but surely fell down the league table, until a final placing of 21st at the end of the 1934–35 season saw them relegated to the Third Division North. They found life in this new division much more to their liking, coming 7th in their first season and following this with three seasons in the top five.

Promotion back to the Second Division looked like it might just be a possibility, but the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 brought an end to League Football. Players' contracts were terminated, and relying largely on guest players, the club was to play in the war-time Northern League until August 1946.

Following the return of competitive football there was to be no immediate success for Oldham Athletic, it wasn't until the appointment of George Hardwick as player-manager in November 1950 that the club found any real form.

Hardwick's appointment came at a cost, with a £15,000 transfer fee paid to Middlesbrough. This was a huge amount at the time, especially for a third division club, but it was to stir up the town and its fans, who now looked forward to seeing a man who had been captain of England only two years previously in charge of its club's fortunes. In Hardwick's first full season in charge they finished 4th after topping the table for a considerable time. Home gates stayed high, with an amazing 33,450 watching a 1–0 win over local rivals Stockport County in March 1952, after a January game in the snow had established a new club scoring record when Chester were beaten 11–2. Eric Gemmell scored seven of these to establish an individual club record for one game which still stands to date. The season after, Oldham Athletic proudly finished champions of the division and won promotion to the Second Division. With an ageing squad and little money to recruit, however, the season that followed was a massive disappointment. Only eight games were won, Oldham finished in last place and quickly returned to the Third Division North, where a first equally disappointing season saw them finish no higher than 10th.

Hardwick resigned in 1955 and between then and 1960, they continued to struggle, finishing below the top 20 on three occasions. With a 15th-place finish in 1958–59, Oldham became a founding member of a newly formed Fourth Division. In the following season they finished in the 23rd position – their lowest position in the entire League, and had to apply for reelection, which they passed as the League chose to drop Gateshead, who had finished above them, in favour of newcomers Peterborough United.

Ken Bates entered the picture at Oldham Athletic in the early 1960s (where he was chairman for 5 years), and along with the appointment of manager Jack Rowley, the club's fortunes turned for the better. During the 1962–63 season, Oldham Athletic again gained promotion to the Third Division as Rowley left as manager.

In the 1968–69, Jack Rowley once more returned as manager. With their inconsistency, Rowley and Bates could not save the club from a last-place finish and inevitable relegation. Midway through the 1969–70 season, Rowley and Bates both left the club as Jimmy Frizzell became the Latics manager, a position he held for the next 13 seasons.

Jimmy Frizzell, a Scottish-born defender, became Oldham's player-manager during the 1969–70 season. In the 1970–71 season, Oldham saw their best result since 1962–63 as they finished in third place, earning promotion back to the Third Division.

In the 1973–74 season, the Latics finished in 1st place and returned to the Second Division for the first time in 21 years. Oldham's trip back to the Second Division was far more successful than their previous visit. During Frizzell's remaining time at the club, the Latics remained in the Second Division, but with little FA Cup and Football League Cup success.

In June 1982, the club appointed Joe Royle as their manager. Royle's side finished 7th in his first season in charge, but fell to 19th in his second. In the 1986–87 season, Oldham narrowly missed promotion to the First Division finishing three points behind Portsmouth and losing in the inaugural play-offs to Leeds United, when previous seasons would have seen them automatically promoted.

Royle's Latics reached Wembley Stadium in the 1990 Football League Cup Final versus Nottingham Forest, where they lost 1–0. The next season, Oldham did not have the same cup success, but instead found success by winning the Second Division and returning to the First Division for the first time in 68 years. In their first season back in the top flight, the club finished 17th and became one of the founding members of the newly formed Premier League. After two further seasons at the top level, Oldham faced relegation yet again and during the following season, the Joe Royle era came to an end, as he left the club for Everton.

In the 1994 season, Oldham failed to win any of their seven remaining league games following the semi-final and were relegated on the final day of the season.

Graeme Sharp took over as Oldham's player-manager on the departure of Joe Royle in November 1994, but he was unable to mount a promotion challenge and the pressure continued to build up a year later when Oldham narrowly avoided relegation. Relegation to Division Two happened at the end of the 1996–97 season, just after Sharp had resigned to be succeeded by Neil Warnock. As one of the biggest clubs in Division Two for 1997–98, and being managed by Warnock who had achieved no less than five promotions with other clubs in the last 11 years, Oldham Athletic were tipped for an immediate return to Division One, but they finished a disappointing 13th in the league and Warnock resigned. Oldham would ultimately stay in the third tier for 21 years.

In 2001, Oxford-based businessman Chris Moore purchased Oldham Athletic, vowing to take the club back to Premier League football within five years. Oldham finished fifth and their promotion dreams were ended in the playoffs, and their fans were furious when Moore decided to end his interest with the club, leaving behind large debts and a weak squad, and after selling the better players at a fraction of their market value at the time. For a while, it looked as though the club would go out of business, but a takeover deal was soon completed.

In 2004–05, Simon Blitz and two other partners, Simon Corney and Danny Gazal, purchased Oldham Athletic, trying to rescue the club from possible liquidation. While trying to repay debts, Oldham struggled for several seasons, barely avoiding relegation once more in 2004–05.

In January 2015, it was reported that Oldham was attempting to sign Ched Evans, an accused rapist. The move faced a significant public backlash, including from politicians, while a petition against the signing gained 60,000 signatures and Verlin Rainwater Solutions withdrew club sponsorship. Oldham ultimately decided not to sign Evans due to "unbearable pressure" while condemning the "vile and abusive threats, some including death threats, which have been made to our fans, sponsors and staff".

In January 2018, Moroccan football agent Abdallah Lemsagam agreed a deal with the club's majority shareholder Simon Corney, which ended Corney's 14-year association with Oldham Athletic.

Lemsagam currently owns 97 per cent of the football club, while the Supporters Trust maintain their 3 per cent stake. The takeover did not include Boundary Park's North Stand, which the club does not own but has use of on match days. In the two years prior to the Lemsagam deal, Oldham had faced a number of winding-up orders for non-payment of their tax bills, and saw their ground raided by HMRC in November 2017.

Oldham Athletic were relegated to League Two on 5 May 2018. They had not been in the fourth tier since 1971. The club faced further HMRC winding-up petitions in late 2019 and early 2020. Former owner Blitz sought to put the club into administration on 6 March 2020 because of debts owed to his company, Brass Bank, which owns Boundary Park, but the case was adjourned to 21 April after a "significant" sum of the debt was paid, as was Oldham's tax debt to HMRC. One-time Watford owner Laurence Bassini was reported to be interested in buying the club, but this was labelled as "false" during the 6 March 2020 hearing.

Former Australia international Harry Kewell took over as Oldham manager in August 2020, at the start of the 2020-21 EFL League Two season and recorded 11 wins, 6 draws and 15 defeats before he was sacked by the club in March 2021. He left the club 10 points above the relegation places; some fans regarded the club's decision as premature given that Oldham had recently beaten promotion challengers Newport, Forest Green and Salford City. Keith Curle stepped in as temporary head coach, and made the move permanent in May 2021, but his efforts to build a stronger squad were hampered by an EFL transfer embargo, COVID-19 illness, and fans protests against the club's owners. On 7 September 2021, with the club in 23rd position in the fourth tier, Lemsagam insisted he did not wish to sell his stake in the club.

The Manager – Keith Curle

Match Referee – TBA

OLDHAM ATHLETIC 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

JOHN DEERE

Re: FA Cup Replay - Oldham Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:12 pm

I am befuddled by the negativity towards Cook. He is not the Messiah, but he is also a hell of a lot more than a very naughty boy (with apologies to The Life of Brian).

He is less popular now, when our form and results are on an upward curve, than he was earlier in the season when our form and results were in the toilet. I just don't get it. I don't necessarily think he will be the best fit for us if we get to the Championship but he is, in my opinion, our best chance of getting there.

Anyway, I really don't have a strong view on how I want this to go. It would be nice to progress I suppose but my only real concern this year is the league.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:17 pm

I don't think many on here are negative towards Cook JD.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:21 pm

The only march to Wembley I want to be on is for the play off final Mike if I am honest 🤞

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:29 pm

Mike hope you’re right with your prediction but can you make sure it is in 90 minutes please as if it goes into extra time I’m sure my wotsits will be frozen by then.

Oldham 0 Town 3

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:34 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:21 pm
The only march to Wembley I want to be on is for the play off final Mike if I am honest 🤞
Yep same here if I'm honest.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:57 pm

Oldham 0 Town 2

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:58 pm

Voted for them to win, not going to hide behind any anonymity bullshit. You got to understand this is the F.A. Cup and what team you root for. Lower league or not they've got every chance of victory and if they do it you can't even class it as an upset.

Probably won't get involved during game time whether able or not. Certain elements here can't quite abide, just check score some time after event and hope for the best. Pessimist or otherwise would be surprised to see the team still participating in this comp going into a new year. We're not going to win the damn competition that much is evident and while progress into the latter stages would be all well and good feel our opponents will once again prevent further involvement.

Oldham Athletic 2 ITFC 1

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:51 pm

Very strong side Burns at right back KVY on the bench.🤔

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:53 pm

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:53 pm

Burns at right back tonight? Piggott up front finally.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:32 pm

I’ll be amazed if we lose tonight but I guess they have the same incentive to win as we do.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:39 pm

Is the game available to watch on I follow tonight? I've logged in but only offering listen live

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:45 pm

Not on I Follow mate

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:04 pm

Cheers Mike, I've got it on the wireless

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:09 pm

Whats up with Bonne?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:16 pm

FFS😡

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:16 pm

1-0 Oldham deserved lead so far

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 pm

We need time to Gel

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 pm

Dear oh dear, Oldham been all over us. Time for this lot to step up.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:17 pm
We need time to Gel
:lol:

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:23 pm

Get innnnnn!! Gift but we will take it

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:23 pm

We're gelling 1-1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:25 pm

That man Chaplin

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:27 pm

Suppose I’d better go👏

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:28 pm

patthegimp wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:09 pm
Whats up with Bonne?
Resting with Morsy I would think.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:32 pm

Hmmm maybe Cook’s decision on Chaplin is paying off now???

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:34 pm

Brenner saidd unlikely to be on team sheet on saturday( or am I hearing things)

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:42 pm

Up to when we were gifted the goal we were very poor. A bit better since then but need to step up
In the 2nd half if we are to win this.
Why do I get the feeling this is going to penalties. One thing I do know is it’s getting colder by the minute.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:43 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:32 pm
Hmmm maybe Cook’s decision on Chaplin is paying off now???
Why ? Doesn't stop him being miffed at the time, we move on