League 1 - Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Always a big Fixture

Sunderland Win
44%
Ipswich Win
39%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

JohnnyB

Re: League 1 - Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:13 pm

Watched most of the game on ifollow. Before that watched Sheff Utd v Cov with a couple of blades fans. When our game came on both said we looked better than both champ teams.

We should have won it. Went to Sunderland and dominated the game. There were several occasions when we nearly scored and somehow just didn’t run for us and stayed out of the net. I missed the last 20 mins and walked home -very surprised to see the shoreline.

Have patience people - we are moving in the right direction. These are Cook’s players - lots of them including Chaplin - came to Town because of him. A change of manager would be disruptive and I believe a big mistake.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:55 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:13 pm
Watched most of the game on ifollow. Before that watched Sheff Utd v Cov with a couple of blades fans. When our game came on both said we looked better than both champ teams.

We should have won it. Went to Sunderland and dominated the game. There were several occasions when we nearly scored and somehow just didn’t run for us and stayed out of the net. I missed the last 20 mins and walked home -very surprised to see the shoreline.

Have patience people - we are moving in the right direction. These are Cook’s players - lots of them including Chaplin - came to Town because of him. A change of manager would be disruptive and I believe a big mistake.
Unless things go South then there is no way Cook will be gone before then end of the season. Long way to go and the team is not far away.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:17 am

Maybe in retrospect, with Sunderland offering so little going forwards, we might have been better with Vincent-Young instead of Donacien on the right side.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:18 am

Played 18 - Won 6, Draws 6 and 6 losses. I take on board a number of factors at this stage of the season by way of a new(ish) manager in Cook, the ousting of Marcus Evans as club owner and heavy influx of new kids we brought in, essentially a new team. (guess by now they've had ample time to 'get it together')

Point being and the unrest / injustice of the score from hours earlier now put aside, I view season's course right now as something unsatisfactory. Sure we got a number of competent names in the squad including bench alternatives, but the inability to take chances and finish teams off occurs too often for some liking. Suppose the team could, or were able, to convert those opportunities and raise their game, we'd be a top six club right now, no question.

Cook plays his standard 'put Bonne as loan attacker and go for it' a little too often, don't know what happens if the player gets injured or if and when he returns to Queens Park Rangers, we really could have a significant problem. It's near imperative we keep him until the end of season, and with it, the same necessity is for the manager to play another forward (or two) to partner him. The 4-2-3-1 we (or Cook) deploys (does) work at times, but it's effectiveness is too infrequent for inclusion and frustrates the hell out of some when you see it all too often.

We got screwed today in so many words. All right only got the opportunity for game action second-half but was with it enough to see clearly the opposition picked up a win they didn't deserve. The best team lost you can argue but when you don't take or miss a number of chances that come your way there's always the chance some injustice will occur and an opposition team will punish certain errors. Sunderland did that today, they got the victory but everyone involved at their club set-up should be honest enough to admit it were a steal, D1ck Turpin would have been proud.

Today was a kick in the as*, nothing more. We're still involved in that EDFL trophy thing (irrelevant as it may be) and lo and behold won an F.A. Cup tie with the door ajar to the Third Round but it's the league that's the #1 target. Even now it's some 6, 7 points off a top six place (I realized back in summer automatic promotion was unlikely despite all changes made) and say again, you lose focus on the league standings at your peril even at this relatively early stage of a new season. Really not much else to add to today, we tried, the players can't really be faulted other than any missed chances and at least showed a level of spirit and determination.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:15 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:13 pm

Agree with everything said here Johnny. I just don’t buy this criticism of Paul Cooks line up or tactics, yesterday we had 13 shots on goal of which four were on target, twice as many as Sunderland and more than enough to have won the game. There is nothing much wrong with our game plan, our only problem yesterday was poor individual player finishing, and a goalkeeping error from a keeper who must have been bored shitless for most of the afternoon. As for the penalty that decision was shocking. Keep the faith guys we really don’t need to change much at all.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:45 pm

Some good comments here for sure, I agree about KVY as I feel Sunderland ‘could be got’ and we should have gone v attacking against them.
Still as others have said overall this season the performances have been there most weeks, which is a positive.

It’ll take time and I don’t want to see Cool go, as others have said alot of the players are here for him and if he goes they might also want to jump ship so careful what we wish for.
It is of course disappointing where we are in the league and if we cannot get right up near the play offs by Xmas then it’s a struggle to make a case for promotion this season. However I do believe this is a long term plan and those running the club will keep doing what they can to move us forward, even if it’s not at the rate we all want - we will get there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:24 pm

Nothing much wrong with our game plan ? Won 6 from 18 in League One ??

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:10 pm

People keep saying give it time and it will turn around but I just don’t see it happening under PC. Our longest winning streak is 2 games, in pre-season a lot of fans were saying top 2 was the target, then after the poor start it was top 6 and now it is a two year project. Despite what the owners are saying about it being a long term project the signings of certain players was to get us out of this league as soon as possible. I believe these were made with the expectation rather than hope that they will elevate us above the pack.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:07 pm

Spot on.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:10 pm
People keep saying give it time and it will turn around but I just don’t see it happening under PC. Our longest winning streak is 2 games, in pre-season a lot of fans were saying top 2 was the target, then after the poor start it was top 6 and now it is a two year project. Despite what the owners are saying about it being a long term project the signings of certain players was to get us out of this league as soon as possible. I believe these were made with the expectation rather than hope that they will elevate us above the pack.
Not sure about others but I’m definitely not saying it’s a two year project. I’ll be bitterly disappointed if we don’t make the playoffs and it may be hopeless optimism but I haven’t given up on top two either. The reason is this: we are good enough to do it. It really gave me hope watching the championship game yesterday, neither Sheffield United nor Coventry looked anything much and I’m confident our side would give them a game. That’s is absolutely not something that could be said with Lambert’s team when we were in a similar position league wise. I remember saying that, had we fortuitously have sneaked up, we would have been hammered every week.

Lots of people said this little run of games against the leading sides (Portsmouth, Plymouth, Wycombe, Oxford, Sunderland, Rotherham) would show us what we’re capable of. Well, some results have been disappointing yes. But have we been out-classed, out-fought or out-played in any? I don’t think so.

The trend is still upward and there is a lot of games to be played. Bring on Rotherham- it’ll be a tough game but we can do it.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:50 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Not sure about others but I’m definitely not saying it’s a two year project. I’ll be bitterly disappointed if we don’t make the playoffs and it may be hopeless optimism but I haven’t given up on top two either. The reason is this: we are good enough to do it. It really gave me hope watching the championship game yesterday, neither Sheffield United nor Coventry looked anything much and I’m confident our side would give them a game. That’s is absolutely not something that could be said with Lambert’s team when we were in a similar position league wise. I remember saying that, had we fortuitously have sneaked up, we would have been hammered every week.

Lots of people said this little run of games against the leading sides (Portsmouth, Plymouth, Wycombe, Oxford, Sunderland, Rotherham) would show us what we’re capable of. Well, some results have been disappointing yes. But have we been out-classed, out-fought or out-played in any? I don’t think so.

The trend is still upward and there is a lot of games to be played. Bring on Rotherham- it’ll be a tough game but we can do it.
Couldn't agree more, too many panic merchants. Despite setbacks I think overall things are going in the right direction and I agree with you as I personally haven't given up all hope on top 2 either. For me I'll be surprised if Ipswich are outside the top 6.

It shouldn't be a 2 year project either, the players that are at Portman Road are good enough to get up this season. The additions in Jan will help also.

Having said all that I think Tuesday nights match versus Rotherham is an important one that really needs to be won given the dropped points on the back of decent performances.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:16 am

Doesn’t the manager carousel have to end at some point? We are what we are. All I asked for at the beginning of the season was significant improvement. I think we’re achieving that. Will we get promoted this season, probably not. Replacing the manager and starting over again is a scenario I can’t stomach…right now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:06 am

Yes the manager carousel does have to end at some point, when you get the right man in post, sadly I don't believe we have, he was a Evans pick, the new owners were always going to have to give him a chance, from what I've read Evans probably insisted on it at the point of sale.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:08 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:50 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:25 pm
Shed on tour wrote:

Couldn't agree more, too many panic merchants. Despite setbacks I think overall things are going in the right direction and I agree with you as I personally haven't given up all hope on top 2 either. For me I'll be surprised if Ipswich are outside the top 6.

It shouldn't be a 2 year project either, the players that are at Portman Road are good enough to get up this season. The additions in Jan will help also.

Having said all that I think Tuesday nights match versus Rotherham is an important one that really needs to be won given the dropped points on the back of decent performances.
Its nothing to do with panic merchants at all, it's being realistic and honest instead of getting wrapped up in false hope and hype, Cook is so one dimensional its ridiculous. And forgive me for saying it but Lambert would still be here based on what you thought at the time in that he was going to get us there.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am

Wow - all this talk about not changing the manager, and we're getting there.............

For the last 20 years we have given (without exception) our various managers more time than we should have given to get things right. Instead, under each manager things got worse, we missed promotions, and we have gradually spiraled down to where we are now.

So I don't buy this view that we should give PC time - he's had the benefit of assembling his own squad (which is far more than any other recent manager has had), and yet we're mid table in League 1. Yes, maybe the football has improved a bit, but we are still far too negative in the amount of sideways and backwards passing and we move the ball too slowly.

Everybody wanted the mass replacement of players, and I agreed with that - it got rid of the totally unsuccessful ME reign and allowed us to make a fresh start with new ownership - well, not quite as we retained a manager appointed by ME (who never made one good managerial appointment in his tenure).

So yes, we can give PC a year or more to get things right, but our recent history suggests that if we do we will still be stuck in this league in a year's time.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:47 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am
Wow - all this talk about not changing the manager, and we're getting there.............

For the last 20 years we have given (without exception) our various managers more time than we should have given to get things right. Instead, under each manager things got worse, we missed promotions, and we have gradually spiraled down to where we are now.

So I don't buy this view that we should give PC time - he's had the benefit of assembling his own squad (which is far more than any other recent manager has had), and yet we're mid table in League 1. Yes, maybe the football has improved a bit, but we are still far too negative in the amount of sideways and backwards passing and we move the ball too slowly.

Everybody wanted the mass replacement of players, and I agreed with that - it got rid of the totally unsuccessful ME reign and allowed us to make a fresh start with new ownership - well, not quite as we retained a manager appointed by ME (who never made one good managerial appointment in his tenure).

So yes, we can give PC a year or more to get things right, but our recent history suggests that if we do we will still be stuck in this league in a year's time.
But that’s no strategy, it’s a case of get a manager in, if he’s not doing it quick enough, get him out and get another in…. and then the cycle continues.
There are positive signs without going over-board defending Cook because it has been a bad start. It’s those first 8 or so games that have put us into catch-up mode. And every game now feels like a must-win one, but there’s so many points to play for. You win 3 games on the bounce and in this league you rocket up the league. Don’t think those first spell of games should dictate where we can go and what decisions should be made over the manager at the moment. I wouldn’t say we’ve played badly in the league for a while. Should have got points from both Sunderland and Plymouth and it was a case of just being more clinical. And We’ve got serious options up front if we want and that’s where Cook needs to tweak it. Get his front four right.

If the team looks clueless, disheartened, offering nothing, going backwards … then time to look at a different manager, but it’s not the case and it’s still fine lines between winning and losing and the team still goes out there wanting to play attacking football and win matches.

Worst case scenario…. we’re still in League One next year. And what … will the club will implode? I think we’ll do more damage making knee-jerk decisions just at the moment…. just see it through and a decent second half of the season is very possible. if we’re still 7 points from, say, with 10 games to play, to the play-offs then it’s more than do-able. And we’ve got 27-28 games left. As Del would say “Who dares wins” and “I think we’re on a winner here, Trig..play it nice and cool, son, nice and cool.”. If Shed can quote Del then so can I. No time for panic.

On the other hand, toughest opponent in the league coming up tomorrow, but I wouldn’t rule out a win. I would have done in the past, but if we play to our strengths we can win this.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:04 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:47 pm
rossi wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 am

But that’s no strategy, it’s a case of get a manager in, if he’s not doing it quick enough, get him out and get another in…. and then the cycle continues.
There are positive signs without going over-board defending Cook because it has been a bad start. It’s those first 8 or so games that have put us into catch-up mode. And every game now feels like a must-win one, but there’s so many points to play for. You win 3 games on the bounce and in this league you rocket up the league. Don’t think those first spell of games should dictate where we can go and what decisions should be made over the manager at the moment. I wouldn’t say we’ve played badly in the league for a while. Should have got points from both Sunderland and Plymouth and it was a case of just being more clinical. And We’ve got serious options up front if we want and that’s where Cook needs to tweak it. Get his front four right.

If the team looks clueless, disheartened, offering nothing, going backwards … then time to look at a different manager, but it’s not the case and it’s still fine lines between winning and losing and the team still goes out there wanting to play attacking football and win matches.

Worst case scenario…. we’re still in League One next year. And what … will the club will implode? I think we’ll do more damage making knee-jerk decisions just at the moment…. just see it through and a decent second half of the season is very possible. if we’re still 7 points from, say, with 10 games to play, to the play-offs then it’s more than do-able. And we’ve got 27-28 games left. As Del would say “Who dares wins” and “I think we’re on a winner here, Trig..play it nice and cool, son, nice and cool.”. If Shed can quote Del then so can I. No time for panic.

On the other hand, toughest opponent in the league coming up tomorrow, but I wouldn’t rule out a win. I would have done in the past, but if we play to our strengths we can win this.
I have to admit I do laugh when I keep hearing people use the words should have or if. At the end of the season no doubt every team can look back and say the same thing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:33 pm

Thats the point Tang, yes we should have got something from both Plymouth and Sunderland but Cook is so f**king limited and hopeless we didn't, he had no idea how to change it to achieve it, useless.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:33 pm
Thats the point Tang, yes we should have got something from both Plymouth and Sunderland but Cook is so f**king limited and hopeless we didn't, he had no idea how to change it to achieve it, useless.
Just those two games alone, I don’t think it was his tactics that lost us those games - but our finishing. We created enough to win those two games. That’s the players fault.
My criticism of Cook is that he hasn’t got the balance right in the front four and that he leaves his substitutions too late. But even then, we usually create enough to win.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:50 am

I might be reading this all wrong where Cook is concerned, I just have this horrible feeling of deja Vu all over again, there is definitely issues there which I find hard to understand, I so want him to succeed, I'm just very doubtful at this moment in time.

To be honest where is the improvement ? Yes we are much better to watch, at times, and yes we have a much better squad, however, when he arrived here we were touching the play offs and I accept those crap players downed tools, since then we are showing ourselves to be an established mid table League One side who are pretty inconsistent, as the W6 D6 L6 confirms, im just not buying the new squad time to gel thing anymore. The good run has to start and soon, top Two has already gone and play offs are further away than any of us want or expected. Tonight is must win for me but Rotherham look formidable right now.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:19 am

To my mind, Cook has had long enough now to produce a side that know how to play together in the manner wants. Consistency should be evident, but unfortunately it isn't. As someone has said, opposition have worked out how to play us & in spite of this Cook perseveres with his no option formation.

Why on earth won't he give Piggott and other a run of games rather than leave substitutions so late? Beats me.

We are what we are: a mid-table league 1 side.

I wonder how much longer our owners will put up with it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:25 am

That's another concern Billy, I think they will put up with it all season if I'm honest.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:46 am

The only way I can see the owners getting rid of Cook before the end of season is if we went on a terrible run of results.
As I said a few weeks back I believe our owners are forward thinking and I would hope that they are already drawing up a list of candidates who they feel could be a replacement for PC if they decide to go down that route.