League 1 - Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Always a big Fixture

Sunderland Win
44%
Ipswich Win
39%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Sunderland AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:22 pm

I’ve got brilliant ifollow picture with sound but no commentary ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:24 pm

For all our possession, Bonne has had absolutely zilch service in that box . We seem to pass it around sideways forwards sideways back . Get to the by line and cross the bloody thing !!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:22 pm
I’ve got brilliant ifollow picture with sound but no commentary ?
Lucky you , I hate Alex Mathie!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:35 pm

Good substitutions 👍... maybe Bonne will get some better service upfront now.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:40 pm

we should be ahead ? Statistics indicate we've had far more possession and goal opportunities than them. Going to be mighty pissed if Sunderland win it from here.

both teams started and playing with a loan attacker, guess there's a reason why there's no score. See Chaplin now on, Cook should introduce Piggott also. El Mizouni maybe to feature after the Oldham game. Would be good if Aluko could score now and a 1 - 0 win, hell I'd take it right now if could.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:45 pm

Aluko just had a great opportunity but ballooned it over the bar into the stand. Pigott replacing Bonne for the final 10mins someone is listening to you SJ.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:51 pm

Oh no, GK clanger ☹️ We didn’t deserve that ☹️

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:52 pm

oops

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:52 pm

sh*t Mackems have scored GrRRRRR

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:53 pm

Time for a round of golf me thinks. I need to get this one out of the system. Predictions look sh*t too.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:55 pm

they've f**king scored ? I mean we're behind, what the hell ? This isn't fair, alll right not viewing the game but all the same, this isn't fair. We don't deserve to be beaten, they're going to steal a win in so many words.

couple of minutes left to save it, really hoping now we're not on the wrong end of a result where the opposition take three points they hardly warrant.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:57 pm

So, having had literally ALL the play bug did nothing with it against a VERY POOR Sunderland side and we snatch a defeat out of what would have been a poor draw given our dominance of this game .

p*ss POOR !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:58 pm

0-2 back down to earth.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:01 pm

But HOW? They barely got over the f**king half way line for the whole game !!!!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:04 pm

that's it, 2 - 0 and we're done. Can't quite comprehend what happened out there today, just a feeling of frustration and yes, anger.

Could be the biggest steal since the Great train robbery. Those pricks we played today should be managed by Buster Edwards and change their stadium name to Leatherslade Farm. Bit too irate to comment further right now, shall catch full reaction and game report later today when feelings subside.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:05 pm

No idea tbh, Cookie needs to come up with the answers but I am expecting the same old crap to be spouted later. 7 points off the play offs having played Two games more is not acceptable for this squad and I really don't care who disagrees, its a fact.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:10 pm

Once again we lose due to an individual error, and missed chances. For a so called attacking side, I was not impressed with our forward play at all. Our possession was super, but without an end product it's pointless...and it becomes predictable. We need to pass the ball at least 1 or 2 seconds quicker. The pace was too slow for me. And finally, get someone in who can take a shot on target ffs!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:15 pm

Walton clearly comatosed through boredom, having had NOTHING to do for the whole bloody game!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:05 pm
No idea tbh, Cookie needs to come up with the answers but I am expecting the same old crap to be spouted later. 7 points off the play offs having played Two games more is not acceptable for this squad and I really don't care who disagrees, its a fact.
Totally agree. It sounds like that once again we had plenty of possession but did sod all with it. I’m afraid it looks like it is going to be another season of ending up without us making a serious promotion challenge. Never mind you never know we might have a run in the Papa John’s trophy. :roll:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:21 pm

Gutted. Sadly - we have no plan b. When 4-2-3-1 does not work, we can't change and for this squad, thats not good enough. Rotherham really is a must win now or we will start to drift from the play off places. I know its still early days really but play offs is now our best (only) chance and we need to learn to kill teams off. Very pissed off... safe travels home those who made the trip.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:25 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:10 pm
Once again we lose due to an individual error, and missed chances. For a so called attacking side, I was not impressed with our forward play at all. Our possession was super, but without an end product it's pointless...and it becomes predictable. We need to pass the ball at least 1 or 2 seconds quicker. The pace was too slow for me. And finally, get someone in who can take a shot on target ffs!
Spot on no.9. Possession is no good playing across the back. So slow to spot a pass, no overlapping on the wings so time after time the ball goes effin backwards. Cook waits 70 mins to make changes, but only like for like players and no plan b. 7 points off the top 6 again. Forget the top 2, and forget the top 6. Still can't take points off the top teams. Sunderland were crap today and they beat us ffs. As far as I'm concerned cook needs to go.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:30 pm

Going forwards for the rest of this season , I’d only be using Celina and Edwards as impact subs in certain games . Cook MUST bring Chaplin and Fraser in… we also missed Burns today - badly !

Edit: I also think it’s time to bring in Pigott for a run of games now . Give Bonne a rest .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:21 pm
Gutted. Sadly - we have no plan b. When 4-2-3-1 does not work, we can't change and for this squad, thats not good enough. Rotherham really is a must win now or we will start to drift from the play off places. I know its still early days really but play offs is now our best (only) chance and we need to learn to kill teams off. Very pissed off... safe travels home those who made the trip.
And this is my point, there is never a plan B and never will be, if 4-2-3-1 doesn't work we are fooked, I don't rate Edwards and most of the time Celina is pointless, our best player again on the bench. As Wilf said Rotherham is now a must win, we've failed to score in Three of the last Four and yet still we go with the same old same old, im certainly not being hoodwinked just because its better to watch, f*ck me after last season anything would be better, as I said we have the structure, we have the owners, we have the squad, we don't have the right manager.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Is it formation or WHO is playing in that formation?

I’d go for this in attack for Tuesday

……………..Pigott……….

Fraser ….. Chaplin…… Burns

Sunderland did not “ out think” our formation today despite knowing it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Just have the ability to mix it Liz, whether it be 3-5-2, 4-4-2 or whatever, if it isn't working change it, Bonne has been poor for weeks, Celina is always poor, Edwards has zero end product, Chaplin was on fire and gets rested, clearly he wasn't too happy, Pigott has gone from 20 goals last season to not even getting 20 minutes, Fraser was excellent according to Cook against Colchester, still on the bench, I just think its all a bit bizarre and poor

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:20 pm

Well a fan ringing in to Sfk Radio, said Cook never changes his formation …. Which could be his undoing at Town if it is deemed too rigid approach and we lose ground on top 6 as season goes on. On the plus side, he said we do at last have an identity of how we play compared to previous 2 managers.

On the question of Pigott I do wonder if his dads death is a factor , but there comes a time when he has to be given a run. Up until last few games Bonne had been undropable. But as things stand after today, I’d say Cooks response on Tuesday will give us a clue as to how it’s going to pan out.

I agree (although you probably won’t believe me lol), that to mix it up at times is desirable. I’d love to see Pigott & Bonne up front . But he won’t change to a 442 will he🤷‍♀️. I just think for his preferred formation, he’s using the wrong players up front.

On to Tuesday we go then ….

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Disappointing result. A game we should have won. I'm not going to comment again until the tail end of the season. At that stage we'll know whether Cook, if he survives until then, has delivered or not. If we do not make the payoffs I will hold my hand up and admit I was wrong.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:38 pm

It is beginning to look like we have been sussed formation wise! Every one now knows what to expect and set up for it,Christ even Oldham knew what was coming and negated it!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:20 pm
I just think for his preferred formation, he’s using the wrong players up front.
Agree. Also agree Bonne needs a rest.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:33 pm

disappointing, buts lets face it, if the formation is not changed they know what to expect and can easily plan around it.

If PC fails to adapt, which I honestly doubt, and if we fail to get into the playoffs then he should be replaced come next summer. Hope he has a 'light bulb' moment soon.

I at Portman Road for the Rotherham game, we better bloody show up or I will lob me dummy and rattle at him lol.