Another one bites the dust

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Another one bites the dust

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:40 pm

shabba

Re: Another one bites the dust

Post by shabba » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:46 pm

No surprise - seemed bigger issues than just a bad or unlucky run, they really were looking bad for a while now.

The big issue is who next - I really don’t think Zidane is the right appointment. Brendan Rogers would do well there but past him I don’t see many good options available.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:51 pm

I think they will take the easy option and hire Brendan Rogers, allegedly he’s already been seen house hunting in Cheshire.

Others possibly on the short list would be Zinedine Zidane and Laurent Blanc. An outsider could be David Moyes returns for a second stint.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:00 pm

Brendan Rogers seems like the sensible choice. I can't see Zidane ever managing in the Premier League...I just don't think he's a fan of living and working in England. I suppose Ronald Koeman may be an outsider, but the owners probably won't want to deal with another Dutchman.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:40 pm

I bet they go for a foreign manager

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:18 am

Why give him the job to begin with. Of course, he's a cult figure, scored one of the most important goals in their club history.. It's like if we ever hire Roger Osborne to manage here or Jeremy Goss for those over the county line.

Point being, Solskjaer or however you spell it, is not a manager. Or in other words is not managerial material. All right he were a good player who contributed a number of important goals for them including title deciders and Cup Finals, but from the moment he were appointed with them you could see it was only going to go in one direction. Guess United directors thought it would be a nice touch to allow him a chance, you know, give something back to the fans to sample, however it was never going to work for them.

Don't think United have won the top league since Ferguson left eight years back which doesn't come as any real surprise. No-one was, or could, follow in those tracks and they've tried a succession of names in the time since. If they're going to make it back they need actual proven managerial figures not ex-players that were going to be out of their depth from day one.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:45 pm

Brendan Rodgers,👍 it is then, this has been on the cards for quite some time, I never ever rated Olie he's too weak and certainly not good management material, player power got Olie the sack, and a £7 million payday lightened the load, saying that there are not many excellent quality players that make good managers, Sir Bobby was just an average player BUT a dam good manager, as was Sir Alf, you have to have commanded that respectability from players, and know how to read the game to make critical changes during the game, also to bring in the right players that will blend and play as a team.
Brendan has proved he's a dam good manager with the training he had at Chelsea and has achieved good results both at Swansea, Liverpool, Celtic, and Leicester to date, he will certainly have to make changes at Man Utd, and just may get rid of Ronaldo and other Prima Donnas that just don't fit into the current teams work rate.