League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we bounce back from the trip to Sunderland?

Town Win
31%
Millers Win
44%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 16

Hyper0blue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Hyper0blue » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:00 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:50 am
Other than Morsy and perhaps Bonne when he was scoring goals, I’m not really that impressed with the players Cook has brought in.
Bit harsh not to include Wes Burns.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:28 am

I think you have to give Cook until the end of the season, change the manager now and we could go on a run but perhaps not Middlesbrough (early days I know) got the best available manager in Chris Wilder but just a draw and a home defeat from the first two matches.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am

Unless Ashton & Co have made the decision they are going to stick with PC come what may I would prefer them to save any January transfer funds for a new manager. Think January will give us some indication of what they are going to do regarding his future. As I said yesterday I still think they will probably wait until the end of the season although personally wish they would make it now.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:56 am

Well, first game at PR for ages, loved it apart from the result. My feelings on the game, for what its worth.

We back off far too easy, we pass back far too easy, silly mistakes at the back, we are reluctant to get stuck in and push forward (for an attacking team we have), and lastly we are too slow in passing and need to be a lot quicker and smarter. Last night thought we were weak apart from the odd flourish. Not enough grit and Rotherham got stuck in and we paid the price. Their first goal we just backed off, 2-3 players around him, should of done better. The players selected, although good we not great on the night. Why no Burns, Aluko or El Miz?

Now the problem here is the manager and staff, too one dimensional and unwilling to change his tactics. Thought Penney and Edwards had an impact, Piggot a non entity and its either service or form as he is an oustanding striker. But the formation needs changing when needed or not working Paul! Its great to see attacking play and we had a few good moments but Jesus, stop passing back when we could have a good go at them. Also got the feeling from a couple of them too a little disharmony sneaking in or just cheesed off? maybe im wrong.

The ref was a right one too, yes, you are in charge but dont act like a petty plonker, he backed off from the Rotherham boys when he needed to have a backbone and show them some steel, sure I here him clucking lol.

PC needs to change, which very much doubt, he will not be in charge forever continuing the way we are.

Crowd was great, good atmosphere but those goals killed it.

And im done, sorry its a little disjointed, but im tired, disappointed but still I love ITFC!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:34 am

Sorry that was your first game in ages mate, what a bitter disappointment for you. Much of what you saw was bang on for me too, the sideways passing etc was ridiculous, like you I thought we were so slow to close down and stood off them where as they were in our faces so quickly, it was like the parting of the sea for their opening goal, Three players could have put a foot in and chose not to.

They were so much stronger than us and passed us off the pitch, I was also very disappointed at the number of times we just hoofed it long with no direction, they are the worst team possible to use this tactics against, in fact it wasn't a tactic it was more hit and hope.

For me Edmundson and Clements stood out first half, no idea where the criticism some have given Clements has come from, they need to open their eyes. Evans for me is a waste of space and as such is nullifying what Morsy brings to the team, El Mizouni needsa run over Evans. I think Fraser by and large is pointless, great against League Two Colchester (DadsArmy) but that's his level, Celina too, an absolute joke and liability just as I and a few others new he would be, crap signing.

Chaplin is normally good but had a mare last night, as did Bonne who was again starved of any decent service, we deffo need Wes Burns fit and playing, our best signing by a distance, Aluko too, runs at players and makes things happen.

Unlike you I thought Edwards was his usual crap self with no end product at all, flatters to deceive, Penney coming on was laughable and typical Cook bullshit, the formation is the same every week against every opponents, whatever the score, winning or losing it doesn't change, he has no plan B at all, in fact I would question if he has a plan A.

I'm surprised you thought the atmosphere was good, compared to most games it was dire last night and pretty silent from the off, normally way better than that, sadly it's only gonna get worse. Hopefully your next game is much better, and preferably under a different manager.
Crewe up next...... send in the clowns.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:10 pm

Dazza really feel for you as you have had to wait ages to see a game and then witness crap like that. The passing sideways and back to the keeper really does my head in. The wife had the car last night so I came in on the train and must admit when Rotherham scored their 2nd I was so tempted to leave and get the earlier train which would have meant I would have been home an hour before I was.
Being the idiot that I am I stayed to the end though. Hopefully the next time you see us play live the team will put in a better performance.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:45 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:43 pm
Morsy out of Sundays game now another booking.
He wasn't booked.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:45 pm

Hyper0blue wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:00 am
number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:50 am
Other than Morsy and perhaps Bonne when he was scoring goals, I’m not really that impressed with the players Cook has brought in.
Bit harsh not to include Wes Burns.
Yes and Burns!

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:56 pm

Cheers Mike and Shed, these things happen and like you, I was so tempted to leave after the second goal but thought 'its been ages since my last game and its a bit if a trek' thought id stay, left 5 mins before the end, with a sore throat and just a little fed up lol.

I thought Edwards and Penney were ok but tbh I would of not put them on anyway, also think we need a couple of hard nuts in the team, we are too powder puff for my liking.

Well the atmosphere to me was good at first but think the lack of me attending games ive forgotten what it can be like lol, I was just happy to be there.

Hopefully going to get to another game this season, def wont be years lol.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:59 am

So I guess the idea with the lone striker + front supporting three is you get the best of both worlds. You get men forward when you’ve got the ball and bodies back in midfield when you haven’t. The problem for us I’m guessing is that for that to work you need understandings and partnerships so players can anticipate runs and know when to drop back etc.

I guess a valid criticism of Cook is that he’s brought an embarrassment of riches in this area and seems to operate a ‘one poor game and you’re out’ policy. Which is fine if you want hunger for places but not good for building cohesion.

I think the player who was most missed over the last two games is Burns. He links up well with others by latching onto through balls and provides great service too. Add to that his ability to run at defences and you have a vital cog in the machine.

I’m not sure when he’s back but he will make a difference when he does.