League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Crewe Alexandra Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An easy 3 points?

Town Win
79%
Crewe Win
7%
Draw
14%

Total votes: 14

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Crewe Alexandra Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:14 pm

For what it’s worth I’m pretty certain our new owners would have been involved in Paul Cooks recruitment even if the man himself wasn’t made fully aware at the time. By the time the takeover was announced which was only 4 weeks later I suspect he was told there would be a major shake up and his No1 priority was to identify any players he definitely wanted to stay and work with. He will also have been given a list of personal and team objectives one of which will relate to taking the club back to the Championship within an agreed timescale, that maybe one season it could be two, if it’s the former I doubt our new owners will even think of ditching him until the play offs are unachievable, because the 6th place club in form is always a strong contender to get promotion.
Sam Morsy who is clearly the player Cook brought in to build the team around has been here 8 weeks and as it stands I think PC knows at least 7 or 8 players who he would prefer in his starting line up if fit and available. If only our fans had the patience we all talked about pre season and got behind the manager and his squad I’m sure our better days would come sooner. Toxic behaviour in the stands serves no purpose and transmits to the players on the pitch, the players become nervous and afraid to make mistakes and the football becomes less creative and more boring. Fans have a huge responsibility in the modern game and they can make and destroy teams, my concern at Ipswich is that a large section of our home fans seem more intent on the later and have already written off Paul Cook and his team.
Unfortunately our owners who are spending other people’s money will not be allowed to pay up PC’s contract and start again with yet another manager who will come with exactly the same risks.
We fans need to get real and get behind Cookie and our team and give the players a lift and scare the sh*t out of the opposition who won’t be used to such support in this league, and the reason we need to do this is because for the time being PC will be going nowhere.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:15 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:14 pm
We fans need to get real and get behind Cookie and our team and give the players a lift and scare the sh*t out of the opposition who won’t be used to such support in this league, and the reason we need to do this is because for the time being PC will be going nowhere.
Agree with all your post, but this part rings so true in my eyes, not that it will happen, sadly! The only thing that could help is if the owners came out and were seen to throw their entire weight behind PC's position.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:55 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:52 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:16 am
Evans employed Cook not the new owners so there will be no loyalty there if decisions hopefully need to be made.
Oddly 17 new signings at Wigan and they are doing pretty well but still we roll out excuse after excuse for one dimensional man.
Just as a point, i find it extremely difficult to go with this "Cook being Evan's man" stuff! I am, as are most of us, not likely to be aware of what goes on behind the scenes, but these takeover negotiations had been going on for quite some time (during Lambert's reign). The Americans were keen to buy, so there would have no need for Evans to put a new man in place just to make the club more saleable. Why go to the expense of (no doubt) giving PL a sizeable pay off when you would only have to wait a few weeks more and (apart from retaining a share holding in the club) it would no longer be Evan's burden?
The new owners would have been fully aware of the manager situation and, i believe, would have had to have been happy with PC going forward under their ownership. Just my opinion of course. :D
Couldn't agree more, the idea that Cook is Evans is for the birds

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Ando wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:41 am
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:16 pm
Magicmark wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:24 pm
Oh better still have 2 up front,hoofing to bonne isn't getting us goals,an own goal & a wonder goal saved us.
agree, I have never known any team do any good with just one up front, especially if that's what the formation at home was today,,
Man City play no one up front they do ok.
good point but sometimes they play 10 up front, 10 in midfield and 10 in defence, and that's in the same match, lets not compare the Town with Man City yet Ando :wink:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:02 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:13 pm
The thing I don't get is many Town fans have made the point about 19 new signings and needing time to gel etc, but now a lot of them are saying he needs another Transfer window to bring a few more in, surely that brings with it yet more gelling time and before you know it the season is over.

On your other point about the fans, I can assure you those wanting Cook gone is growing and pretty quickly so the concern of a toxic feel again is a very real risk.
So bring in another manager, give him a transfer window and 4 months down the road, its not going well. What then, another manager ???
Paul Cook has been a success everywhere he has been.
Ipswich Town used to be a fantastic club, brilliantly run.
Its now turning into a hellhole for any manager to function at ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:18 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:10 am
valleyroad wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:42 am
number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:35 am

Yeah but Man City have World Class players, we don’t. I’m sorry but struggling to win against the Lg 1 bottom side is pathetic. I’ll take the 3 points, but it’s blatantly obvious we’ve got problems. We need Scout driven reinforcements in January cuz Cook’s targets are not getting the job done. Changing the manager won’t solve problems. We need better players…players that are not selected by Cook.
Cook has selected players pretty well in the past and at a higher level than League One.
I agree results can be better and the team as a whole must perform better but we are back to the same old sack the manager routine that can't keep happening.
So what do you suggest? Cross our fingers and hope for the best? Again something is not working here! Our previous owner may well have put up with the situation but will the new ones? Soft and cuddly they might seem but I would be very surprised if they put up with this much longer.
I suggest patience and commonsense

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:35 am

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:42 am
number 9 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:35 am
Ando wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:41 am

Man City play no one up front they do ok.
Yeah but Man City have World Class players, we don’t. I’m sorry but struggling to win against the Lg 1 bottom side is pathetic. I’ll take the 3 points, but it’s blatantly obvious we’ve got problems. We need Scout driven reinforcements in January cuz Cook’s targets are not getting the job done. Changing the manager won’t solve problems. We need better players…players that are not selected by Cook.
Cook has selected players pretty well in the past and at a higher level than League One.
I agree results can be better and the team as a whole must perform better but we are back to the same old sack the manager routine that can't keep happening.
That's the whole damn point, he has the players and yet still gets it wrong, doesn't know how to use them

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:40 am

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:02 pm
Bluemike wrote:
The thing I don't get is many Town fans have made the point about 19 new signings and needing time to gel etc, but now a lot of them are saying he needs another Transfer window to bring a few more in, surely that brings with it yet more gelling time and before you know it the season is over.

On your other point about the fans, I can assure you those wanting Cook gone is growing and pretty quickly so the concern of a toxic feel again is a very real risk.
So bring in another manager, give him a transfer window and 4 months down the road, its not going well. What then, another manager ???
Sorry but I'm not gonna sit back and be pro something I know isn't going to work, did that once or twice before and look where it got us, the guy is clueless, my opinion of course, if people got real they would see we aren't even enjoyable to watch again, its worn off already. Fir me his handling of certain players is also garbage and as someone has already said, it cannot be good for morale.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:21 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:40 am
valleyroad wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:02 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Sorry but I'm not gonna sit back and be pro something I know isn't going to work, did that once or twice before and look where it got us, the guy is clueless, my opinion of course, if people got real they would see we aren't even enjoyable to watch again, its worn off already. Fir me his handling of certain players is also garbage and as someone has already said, it cannot be good for morale.
Aye but the one you weren't in favour of was MM. That was the correct call !
I wouldn't say that PC hasn't a clue given his past record.
I'd agree on his man management, haven't been hugely impressed by it from the off.
For me at the moment its about patience and see where Ipswich are come end of season unless things really tank.
I guess for others its fire the gun now

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:26 pm

I stuck with MM until the bitter end, it became impossible for him to stay, but he knew how to manage players and despite it being boring and negative he could at least change it up depending on the opposition.

To be honest I'm fed up of being patient, for Four years I did every game home and away, cold, dank, depressing shitholes on a Tuesday night with a 6 hour journey home after another p*ss poor show, went through the dying embers of Micks time here then suffered the Hurst and Lambert fuckfests and all the time I clung on to hope and belief despite knowing it was futile so forgive me if I lack patience this time around but I've kinda had enough, factor in Cooks undoubted support and financial backing and I just think its a disaster, still a mid table League One side as we approach half way, his win record here is shocking. I would never boo or any of that crap and I applaud him on to the pitch every game, it's what you do but I will be pleased when he is replaced, who by, God knows but that's for the owner and CEO etc to decide.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:26 pm
I stuck with MM until the bitter end, it became impossible for him to stay, but he knew how to manage players and despite it being boring and negative he could at least change it up depending on the opposition.

To be honest I'm fed up of being patient, for Four years I did every game home and away, cold, dank, depressing shitholes on a Tuesday night with a 6 hour journey home after another p*ss poor show, went through the dying embers of Micks time here then suffered the Hurst and Lambert fuckfests and all the time I clung on to hope and belief despite knowing it was futile so forgive me if I lack patience this time around but I've kinda had enough, factor in Cooks undoubted support and financial backing and I just think its a disaster, still a mid table League One side as we approach half way, his win record here is shocking. I would never boo or any of that crap and I applaud him on to the pitch every game, it's what you do but I will be pleased when he is replaced, who by, God knows but that's for the owner and CEO etc to decide.
Think if I was you I'd probably be feeling the same :)