EFLT (R2) - Ipswich Town vs Arsenal Under 21's Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we progress in this competition?

Town Win
64%
Arse Win
18%
Penalties
18%

Total votes: 11

Frosty
Forum Owner

EFLT (R2) - Ipswich Town vs Arsenal Under 21's Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:28 pm

Image Ipswich Town vs Arsenal Under 21’s Image

Wednesday 1st December 2021 – 19:45

Portman Road

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Back On Track Against The Railwaymen.....Just !!

Last Sunday's game against bottom of the table Crewe Alexandra presented Town with an excellent opportunity to get their stuttering season back on track and fortunately by the final whistle we had secured the Three points although it must be said it wasn't without a few hairy moments during a difficult second Forty Five minutes. The very fact Town were at times hanging on in those closing moments was due in no small part to our inability to convert several gilt edged chances that came our way. Macauley Bonne missed Three, Kyle Edwards missed a good chance while earlier in the game Conor Chaplin also missed a sitter, normally we would be made to pay but thankfully Crewe were lacking a decent striker and we somehow got away with it as the railwaymen also spurned a couple of golden opportunities to score and snatch a point.

I must say once more I found our substitutions bizarre both in the personnel swap and the timing of the changes as it upset our rhythm and gave them what looked like a big hand in coming more into the game, this seems to be a recurring theme and frustrates the hell out of me but at least on this occasion we got away with it. The win just about keeps us within touching distance of the top Six but there is still much work to do as we still look to find that consistency that would make all the difference.

I was pleased to see Lee Evans removed from the starting line up but his replacement Scott Fraser fared little better in an unfamiliar position, I am not sure what message it sends out to Rekeem Harper who still couldn't get a game, instead the more attack minded Fraser being preferred. I definitely think a run our for Joe Pigott is way overdue, Bonne has gone off the boil in recent games so why not give Pigott a chance, we know what he can do as last season he was prolific for a poor team.

I have to say the recent performances of both George Edmundson and Janoi Donacien have been very good indeed, the former has without doubt been our stand out performer in recent games, I am not saying it is down to Toto at all but Edmundson's performances have definitely been better since he has paired up with Toto. Young Bailey Clements is also getting better and more confident with each game but he could certainly do with some help from time to time and this is my gripe with a certain Bersant Celina, for much of the time he is the villain of the peace in my eyes and a bit of a liability, then he comes up with what can only be described as an outrageous goal which in the end proved to be the winner, if only he could fine tune the nitty gritty stuff he would be some asset but how much is a goal like that worth to the team when so many other things are neglected ? I have to say bravo to Bersant on this occasion though as that was a worldy in anyone's book.

We now turn our attention to the Pizza Trophy and with a big slice of luck we have drawn a side that gives us a route into Round Three although Arsenal kids are probably as good as any of the young sides to have entered this trophy so it will not be a walk in the park. Fringe players are again likely to get their chance which will probably mean the likes of Hladky, Kenlock, Vincent-Young, Woolfenden, Harper, El Mizouni, Pigott & jackson all getting a run out, a win in any game is good for morale, especially given the situation we are in with a fair bit of unrest raising it's head.

I think with home advantage Town's fringe players should still be good enough to see this one through to a successful conclusion which is also good in keeping these players up to speed should they be needed for league duty. I am gonna go for a narrow Town win by the close of the Ninety minutes. COYB'S

The Opposition – Arsenal Under 21’s

In October 1886, Scotsman David Danskin and fifteen fellow munitions workers in Woolwich formed Dial Square Football Club, named after a workshop at the heart of the Royal Arsenal complex. Each member contributed sixpence and Danskin also added three shillings to help form the club. Dial Square played their first match on 11 December 1886 against Eastern Wanderers and won 6–0. The club renamed to Royal Arsenal a month later, and its first home was Plumstead Common, though they spent most of their time playing at the Manor Ground. Their first trophies were the Kent Senior Cup and London Charity Cup in 1889–90 and the London Senior Cup in 1890–91; these were the only county association trophies Arsenal won during their time in South East London.

In 1891, Royal Arsenal became the first London club to turn professional.

Royal Arsenal renamed for a second time upon becoming a limited liability company in 1893. They registered their new name, Woolwich Arsenal, with The Football League when the club ascended later that year.   Woolwich Arsenal was the first southern member of The Football League, starting out in the Second Division and reaching the First Division in 1904. Falling attendances, due to financial difficulties among the munitions workers and the arrival of more accessible football clubs elsewhere in the city, led the club close to bankruptcy by 1910. Businessmen Henry Norris and William Hall became involved in the club, and sought to move them elsewhere.

In 1913, soon after relegation back to the Second Division, the grandstand of Woolwich Arsenal's Plumstead stadium was burnt down by the suffragettes, as part of their nationwide bombing and arson campaign for women's suffrage. The attack cost £1,000 in damages (around £120,000 today), and so the same year the club moved across the river to the new Arsenal Stadium in Highbury. In 1919, The Football League controversially voted to promote The Arsenal, instead of relegated local rivals Tottenham Hotspur, into the newly enlarged First Division, despite only finishing fifth in the Second Division's last pre-war season of 1914–15. Later that year, The Arsenal started dropping "The" in official documents, gradually shifting its name for the final time towards Arsenal, as it is generally known today.

With a new home and First Division football, attendances were more than double those at the Manor Ground, and Arsenal's budget grew rapidly. Their location and record-breaking salary offer lured star Huddersfield Town manager Herbert Chapman in 1925. Over the next five years, Chapman built a new Arsenal.

Transformed, Chapman's Arsenal claimed their first national trophy, the FA Cup, in 1930, and League Championships followed in 1930–31 and 1932–33. Chapman also presided over off the pitch changes: white sleeves and shirt numbers were added to the kit; a Tube station was named after the club; and the first of two opulent, Art Deco stands was completed, with some of the first floodlights in English football. Suddenly, in the middle of the 1933–34 season, Chapman died of pneumonia. His work was left to Joe Shaw and George Allison, who saw out a hat-trick with the 1933–34 and 1934–35 titles, and then won the 1936 FA Cup and 1937–38 title.

World War II meant The Football League was suspended for seven years, but Arsenal returned to win it in the second post-war season, 1947–48. This was Tom Whittaker's first season as manager, after his promotion to succeed Allison, and the club had equalled the champions of England record. They won a third FA Cup in 1950, and then won a record-breaking seventh championship in 1952–53. However, the war had taken its toll on Arsenal. The club had had more players killed than any top flight club, and debt from reconstructing the North Bank Stand bled Arsenal's resources.

Arsenal were not to win the League or the FA Cup for another 18 years. The '53 Champions squad was old, and the club failed to attract strong enough replacements. Although Arsenal were competitive during these years, their fortunes had waned; the club spent most of the 1950s and 1960s in midleague mediocrity. Even former England captain Billy Wright could not bring the club any success as manager, in a stint between 1962 and 1966.

Arsenal tentatively appointed club physiotherapist Bertie Mee as acting manager in 1966. With new assistant Don Howe and new players such as Bob McNab and George Graham, Mee led Arsenal to their first League Cup finals, in 1967–68 and 1968–69. Next season saw a breakthrough: Arsenal's first competitive European trophy, the 1969–70 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. And the season after, an even greater triumph: Arsenal's first League and FA Cup double, and a new champions of England record. This marked a premature high point of the decade; the Double-winning side was soon broken up and the rest of the decade was characterised by a series of near misses, starting with Arsenal finishing as FA Cup runners up in 1972, and First Division runners-up in 1972–73.

Former player Terry Neill succeeded Mee in 1976. At the age of 34, he became the youngest Arsenal manager to date. The club reached a trio of FA Cup finals (1978, 1979 and 1980), and lost the 1980 European Cup Winners' Cup Final on penalties. The club's only trophy during this time was the 1979 FA Cup, achieved with a last-minute 3–2 victory over Manchester United. The final is widely regarded as a classic.

One of Mee's double winners, George Graham, returned as manager in 1986, with Arsenal winning their first League Cup in 1987, Graham's first season in charge. New signings Nigel Winterburn, Lee Dixon and Steve Bould had joined the club by 1988 to complete the "famous Back Four", led by homegrown player Tony Adams. They immediately won the 1988 Football League Centenary, and followed it with the 1988–89 Football League title, snatched with a last-minute goal in the final game of the season against fellow title challengers Liverpool. Graham's Arsenal won another title in 1990–91, losing only one match, won the FA Cup and League Cup double in 1993, and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1994. Graham's reputation was tarnished when he was found to have taken kickbacks from agent Rune Hauge for signing certain players, and was dismissed in 1995. His permanent replacement, Bruce Rioch, lasted for only one season, leaving the club after a dispute with the board of directors.

The club metamorphosed during the tenure of French manager Arsène Wenger, who was appointed in 1996. Attacking football, an overhaul of dietary and fitness practices, and efficiency with money have defined his reign. Accumulating key players from Wenger's homeland, such as Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry, Arsenal won a second League and Cup double in 1997–98 and a third in 2001–02. In addition, the club reached the final of the 1999–2000 UEFA Cup, were victorious in the 2003 and 2005 FA Cups, and won the Premier League in 2003–04 without losing a single match, an achievement which earned the side the nickname "The Invincibles".This latter feat came within a run of 49 league matches unbeaten from 7 May 2003 to 24 October 2004, a national record.

Arsenal finished in either first or second place in the league in eight of Wenger's first nine seasons at the club, although on no occasion were they able to retain the title. The club had never progressed beyond the quarter-finals of the Champions League until 2005–06; in that season they became the first club from London in the competition's fifty-year history to reach the final, in which they were beaten 2–1 by Barcelona. In July 2006, they moved into the Emirates Stadium, after 93 years at Highbury. Arsenal reached the final of the 2007 and 2011 League Cups, losing 2–1 to Chelsea and Birmingham City respectively.

The club had not gained a trophy since the 2005 FA Cup until, spearheaded by then club-record acquisition Mesut Özil, Arsenal beat Hull City in the 2014 FA Cup Final, coming back from a 2–0 deficit to win the match 3–2. A year later, Arsenal completed another victorious FA Cup campaign, and became the most successful club in the tournament's history by winning their 13th FA Cup in 2016–17. However, in that same season, Arsenal finished in the fifth position in the league, the first time they had finished outside the top four since before Wenger arrived in 1996. After another unspectacular league season the following year, Wenger departed Arsenal on 13 May 2018.

After conducting an overhaul in the club's operating model to coincide with Wenger's departure, Basque-Spaniard Unai Emery was named as the club's new head coach on 23 May 2018. He would become the club's first ever 'head coach', while also their second ever manager from outside the United Kingdom. In Emery's first season, Arsenal finished fifth in the Premier League and as runner-up in the Europa League. On 29 November 2019, Emery was sacked and former player and assistant first team coach Freddie Ljungberg was appointed as interim head-coach.

On 20 December 2019, Arsenal appointed former midfielder and club captain Mikel Arteta as the new head coach. Arsenal finished the league season in eighth, their lowest finish since 1994–95, but beat Chelsea 2–1 to earn a record-extending 14th FA Cup title. After the season, Arteta's title was changed from head coach to manager. On 18 April 2021, Arsenal were announced as a founding club of the breakaway European competition The Super League; they withdrew from the competition two days later amid near-universal condemnation. Arsenal finished the season in eighth place once again, not qualifying for a European competition for the first time in 26 years.

Academy Manager – Per Mertesacker

Match Referee – Brett Huxtable

IPSWICH TOWN 2 ARSENAL UNDER 21’s 1

AzzurroMark

Re: EFLT (R2) - Ipswich Town vs Arsenal Under 21's Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:56 pm

Did someone miss a few words out of the result predictions?
Namely "Couldn't give an .... who ....s" :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:58 pm

This thread is really drumming up the excitement for the match lol.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:14 pm

Any touts want to purchase my ticket for tonight’s game? :wink:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:29 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:14 pm
Any touts want to purchase my ticket for tonight’s game? :wink:
Think you'll have to pay them! :lol: :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:58 pm
It is genuinely a shame when considering the time put into putting these previews together. Did watch the previous game against Col U, but mainly because i was isolating at the time and wanted something to do! :lol:

Anybody else going or watching on I-follow tonight? Be interesting to see how much excitement might be cranked up if we can manage to go a bit further in this competition?

Personally i think tonight, with Barrow to come on Saturday, is the perfect time to play Piggott for two full games. He needs those minutes and will repay us with a goal or 2 if given that time . We can still put out a strong side with the likes of Harper, El Mizouni, Burgess, KVY available.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:05 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:40 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:58 pm
It is genuinely a shame when considering the time put into putting these previews together. Did watch the previous game against Col U, but mainly because i was isolating at the time and wanted something to do! :lol:

Anybody else going or watching on I-follow tonight? Be interesting to see how much excitement might be cranked up if we can manage to go a bit further in this competition?

Personally i think tonight, with Barrow to come on Saturday, is the perfect time to play Piggott for two full games. He needs those minutes and will repay us with a goal or 2 if given that time . We can still put out a strong side with the likes of Harper, El Mizouni, Burgess, KVY available.
Totally agree with you about Pigott. I would like to see us continue in both of these competitions as at least it keeps interest in the season going.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:12 pm

I will indeed be watching this non event lol

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:18 pm

In fact i would go as far as saying i will be very disappointed if Piggot doesn't get to play a large proportion of these next two games!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:23 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:18 pm
In fact i would go as far as saying i will be very disappointed if Piggot doesn't get to play a large proportion of these next two games!
Be another thing us Cook outers could beat him with! :wink: :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:57 pm

All day I’ve been looking forward to a quiet night in watching the Everton v Liverpool Derby not for one minute thinking that Town v Arsenal U21’s would be on i-follow, so now I guess that’s what I’ll be watching. I know very little about this Trophy but as always will be wanting a Town to win, I just hope it’s entertaining too.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:31 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:23 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:18 pm
Be another thing us Cook outers could beat him with! :wink: :lol:
:shock: :lol: :lol:

Not if you see the team news; :wink:

Hladky, Vincent-Young, Woolfenden, Burgess (C), Penney, Carroll, El Mizouni, Jackson, Harper, Edwards, Pigott

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:06 pm

Can’t find the game, is anyone following ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:10 pm

I am yes

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:17 pm

1-0 Kayden Jackson with a deflected shot

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:28 pm

Jackson again 2-0

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 pm

2-0 Jackson took that well

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:00 pm

Well the holders Sunderland are out (beaten at home by Oldham) and also Sheffield Wednesday knocked out too, 0-3 at home to Hartlepool! Could this be our year? :P :wink: :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 pm

I see Chambers scored a brace last night to put Col U through! :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:14 pm

Arsenal back in it, KVY OG

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:16 pm

Why can't any PC team that goes 2-0 up see out a game. Ffs

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:17 pm

2-2 This is what pisses me off, Arsenal change it at HT and Cook does f*ck all, he's bloody useless, even if we do get through, he hasn't got a clue

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:18 pm

Dear oh dear….

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:43 pm

Penalties

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:50 pm

At least I got my prediction correct. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:50 pm

Well done boys, 2 up again and pissed it away. Well done Cookie, really going places under this guy.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:51 pm

Yet again😡game thrown away.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:50 pm
Well done boys, 2 up again and pissed it away. Well done Cookie, really going places under this guy.
What ever team this clown puts out his system is not bloody working.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:56 pm

Cookie the clown

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:04 pm

Arsenal under bloody 21s. What an embarrassment. Can't wait to hear cooks usual match comments " we go again, I'm a fan, I'm hurting, we will work hard on the training ground" it's such bollocks. These are players he chose, players he coaches. It's still like they have just met each other last fuckin week, no understanding of where people are going to make runs, no actual partnerships developing. Look at bonne, now spends most of the time throwing his arms up and moaning about wrong balls or no service. Cook is scraping the barrel so low now that he's looking at players he shunned when he first got here. He needs to go, and fast.