Cook

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

valleyroad

Re: Cook

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:29 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:11 pm
Hopefully Ashton and co won't let us down, they didn't with the signings and Hopefully won't with the manager, they never appointed Cook and it all probability wouldn't have looked at him twice had Evans not already appointed him. This time we'll get a new regime appointment who knows what he's doing
Would they not just have binned him if he wasn't their appointment. That is normal practice in football.
Doubt very much the owners didn't play a part in PC's appointment.
If they didn't given his results over 44 games I'm surprised they didn't sack him sooner if he wasn't their appointment ??

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:30 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:35 pm
Steve Bruce.
A fine football manager but would he really go to Ipswich after the toxic hellhole he has just left ??

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:34 am

saint jude wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:12 pm
Realize he was only with us what, less than 2 years, eighteen months, but ideally should have been forced out before today. His style of play was absolute banality and frustrated the sh*t out of this name and guess a great many others with it. Applaud the new owners for taking action and not to allow things to deteriorate further but not since Joe Royle has there been what I class a capable manager here and for that you got to go back some 15 years with it.

Thought about Mowbray at Blackburn on occasion in recent time as Cook neared his eventual demise. Ex-player, has done OK for them and got years of experience. I think the fans would welcome him back or a number at least. You got to face the reality of it though, we're a Third League club name that has underachieved for considerable years and now getting into the habit of firing managers almost as soon as they come in. Either that or they walk away / resign of their own doing.

Point being I don't know how glamorous the job position here will be to many candidates. Could be put off by the continuous failures year after year, season after season going way back to Jim Magilton and once again our tendency now to fire names much readily than before if results don't work.

Feel it's imperative we go with a name with relevant experience. Nothing fancy, wouldn't expect it, just avoid absurd picks like Lampard, Rooney or other names that simply aren't or could never hope to be bonafide manager material.
Yep was thinking last week he would be a good shout for Ipswich if PC was sacked.
Would he get the time required and would he want to leave Championship where he is getting time to steadily improve his team.
Last edited by valleyroad on Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:35 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:31 pm
I'm surprised but today's performance was the last straw and the right decision but it does worry me as to who we will get in to replace him, I'm not sure McGreal would be experienced enough and surely we can't have another clear out we have some good players on paper but need the right manager to use them in there best positions.
KB John McGreal has got more experience in his little finger than that useless gobby scouser git John's ok for this job he'll keep things ticking over nicely until the Jan window and other management news to arrive after Christmas :D :D oh happy days

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:36 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:34 am
saint jude wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:12 pm
Realize he was only with us what, less than 2 years, eighteen months, but ideally should have been forced out before today. His style of play was absolute banality and frustrated the sh*t out of this name and guess a great many others with it. Applaud the new owners for taking action and not to allow things to deteriorate further but not since Joe Royle has there been what I class a capable manager here and for that you got to go back some 15 years with it.

Thought about Mowbray at Blackburn on occasion in recent time as Cook neared his eventual demise. Ex-player, has done OK for them and got years of experience. I think the fans would welcome him back or a number at least. You got to face the reality of it though, we're a Third League club name that has underachieved for considerable years and now getting into the habit of firing managers almost as soon as they come in. Either that or they walk away / resign of their own doing.

Point being I don't know how glamorous the job position here will be to many candidates. Could be put off by the continuous failures year after year, season after season going way back to Jim Magilton and once again our tendency now to fire names much readily than before if results don't work.

Feel it's imperative we go with a name with relevant experience. Nothing fancy, wouldn't expect it, just avoid absurd picks like Lampard, Rooney or other names that simply aren't or could never hope to be bonafide manager material.
Yep was thinking last week he would be a good shout for Ipswich if PC was sacked.
Would he get the time required and would he want to leave Championship where he is getting time to steadily improve his team.
TM won't leave Blackburn

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:37 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:35 am
Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:31 pm
I'm surprised but today's performance was the last straw and the right decision but it does worry me as to who we will get in to replace him, I'm not sure McGreal would be experienced enough and surely we can't have another clear out we have some good players on paper but need the right manager to use them in there best positions.
KB John McGreal has got more experience in his little finger than that useless gobby scouser git John's ok for this job he'll keep things ticking over nicely until the Jan window and other management news to arrive after Christmas :D :D oh happy days
Really?, Like to explain ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:43 am

McGreal has a reputation for playing "attacking, free-flowing" football with a "fluid 4–2–3–1 system" on his wiki page.Is that not what PC did ????

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:44 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:26 am
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 am
Ian Craney, Franny Jeffers and Gary Roberts need to go as well. They were PC's choices.
They will be gone by Sunday morning FACT
I was never a fan of Jeffers or Roberts let alone coaches

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:46 am

I’m hearing Farke is in the mix. :shock:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:02 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:43 am
McGreal has a reputation for playing "attacking, free-flowing" football with a "fluid 4–2–3–1 system" on his wiki page.Is that not what PC did ????
:lol: Look where he was born too! Liverpool! :lol: Bit ironic that PC had surrounded himself with more "scousers", along with all the alleged BS they speak, and now another "scouser" seems to be a favourable short term replacement. :lol: :lol:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:06 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:47 pm
I just hope whoever the new manager is his names not Paul.😂
Paul Gascoigne :?: lol

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:09 am

Great News about PC I had difficulty understanding him for a start,maybe the players had that issue to,thought Paul Lambert was bad lol

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:34 am

Well b*****r me with a large marrow, did not think he would be going so soon if at all, just backing up what has already been said, the bosses mean business and must have some ideas on who is coming in.

Sad, bit concerning but excited on what is next.

Shame he had to go, like the bloke but too many wrong and poor decisions, and like the world we live in now, you do not change or adapt your gone.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:24 am

I'm not suggesting him but Rooney has done a very good job at Derby, I don't like the man but credit where it's due with only half a team at the start of the season he has done well.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:24 am

Absolutely no names available excite me, and the ones that might are in a job or would not drop to league 1.

Not good.

Maybe it's worth looking abroad, seeing if there's another of these German superstar managers wanting to get on the EFL ladder!!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:58 am

MA & Co have surprised with some top notch signings during the last transfer window, perhaps they can achieve the same with a manager who is prepared to drop a division or two and is sold on the future direction of the club.

Please to see Cook gone by the way, something seemed wrong from day 1.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:59 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:26 am
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 am
Ian Craney, Franny Jeffers and Gary Roberts need to go as well. They were PC's choices.
They will be gone by Sunday morning FACT
Sincerely hope you are right Ash

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 am

Why not Nuno esprito santo ?
Did a great job at Wolves plays a 343 formation the Tottenham thing did not work out but maybe was a step to high for him.
G&B ...?
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:15 am

Not wanting to upset the puritanical faction on this board, all I will say is that it is absolutely the right decision for the club. I'm surprised it took the owners so long, but at least we are now rid of the last remaining link to ME.

So, onwards and upwards. Farke will be revealed as the new manager before the Sunderland game, and he will have my full backing.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:17 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:15 am
Not wanting to upset the puritanical faction on this board, all I will say is that it is absolutely the right decision for the club. I'm surprised it took the owners so long, but at least we are now rid of the last remaining link to ME.

So, onwards and upwards. Farke will be revealed as the new manager before the Sunderland game, and he will have my full backing.

I was with you until the last sentence mate :wink:

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:50 am

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 am
Why not Nuno esprito santo ?
Did a great job at Wolves plays a 343 formation the Tottenham thing did not work out but maybe was a step to high for him.
G&B ...?
Way out of budget / level. He could get any number of top league jobs abroad and probably some lower prem / high championship jobs. Would surely want wages way above what we could offer.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:55 am

rossi wrote:

Do you know something we don't ?

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:01 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:55 am
rossi wrote:

Do you know something we don't ?
heard a strong whisper this morning, Mike, but not sure yet on the validity of it. However, given that he is available, has strong links to the area, and as yet has not done well in the PL although has an excellent record below that, it would not surprise me in the least

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:13 am

I was really shocked to hear the news late last night. Not because PC hadn't appeared to be lost for ideas on the current inability to get value for all this investment, but because I assumed that he would be given at least until Christmas. Honestly it still bothers me that PC didn't do better with PLs old squad when he took up the reins, that seemed very wasteful IMO and hinted at some undercurrents that we were not and possibly may still not be aware of.

Plenty of candidates out there that would be a step up in my view and I would also welcome Farke with open arms. Then just watch us win the replay against Barrow and draw Norwich in the next round.

What's Frank Yallop up to these days?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:30 pm

This was posted on twtd regarding Ashton…article was in the Guardian

views carlo88

I shall just park this Guardian comment here I read this morning, and say nothing.

"Ipswich CEO Mark Ashton appointed himself head of recruitment when CEO at Bristol City and proceeded to sign players left right and centre whether or not the manager wanted them or they fitted any playing plan, leaving a bloated squad and wage bill. We managed to ship out a dozen or so in the summer but are now financially hamstrung.

He is not qualified for the role but loves the buzz of a signing and it's invariably him not the manager who is pictured with the players.

At the end of the window he will do an interview about what a great job he has done but as things go wrong on the pitch he will disappear.

If results don't improve he will sack Paul Cook and replace him with a patsy who will suck up to him.

Cook is a pretty straight talking guy so I can envisage a public falling out at some point in any event. But Ashton is a mate of the owners so he will not be held accountable.

Good luck to Ipswich fans, loved your club since the great days under Sir Bobby but do be sceptical about the man running your club."

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:30 pm
This was posted on twtd regarding Ashton…article was in the Guardian

views carlo88

I shall just park this Guardian comment here I read this morning, and say nothing.

"Ipswich CEO Mark Ashton appointed himself head of recruitment when CEO at Bristol City and proceeded to sign players left right and centre whether or not the manager wanted them or they fitted any playing plan, leaving a bloated squad and wage bill. We managed to ship out a dozen or so in the summer but are now financially hamstrung.

He is not qualified for the role but loves the buzz of a signing and it's invariably him not the manager who is pictured with the players.

At the end of the window he will do an interview about what a great job he has done but as things go wrong on the pitch he will disappear.

If results don't improve he will sack Paul Cook and replace him with a patsy who will suck up to him.

Cook is a pretty straight talking guy so I can envisage a public falling out at some point in any event. But Ashton is a mate of the owners so he will not be held accountable.

Good luck to Ipswich fans, loved your club since the great days under Sir Bobby but do be sceptical about the man running your club."
Interesting for sure.

What I would say is yes we have a bloated squad but we pretty much have every type of player - ie any new manager coming in could in theory out together a combo of players to suit his own style or demands. That’s at least a good starting point for the next man and also I think we mostly agree here that we do have good players, that had been evident when we have battered some teams this year - it’s just we need a management team next - good coaches and a manager who can get the team playing more consistent.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:24 pm

The article from the Guardian touches on what I said last night about Ashton & his very large ego & any new manager having to work with him. Bluemike was very upfront from the start about Cook & that is pretty much how I feel about Ashton. I know he facillitated all the comings & going in the summer, but there is something about him I just don't take to. Difficult to explain exactly but I wonder if others feel the same?

An interesting time ahead to be sure.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:05 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:24 pm
The article from the Guardian touches on what I said last night about Ashton & his very large ego & any new manager having to work with him. Bluemike was very upfront from the start about Cook & that is pretty much how I feel about Ashton. I know he facillitated all the comings & going in the summer, but there is something about him I just don't take to. Difficult to explain exactly but I wonder if others feel the same?

An interesting time ahead to be sure.
I said a couple of months ago when a lot of plaudits were being given to Ashton that I would give it a couple of years before forming a opinion and that is still the case.
Obviously like others I have seen the comments made by some Bristol City and Watford supporters about him but like everything we will just have to see how things pan out. The one thing that I don’t think you can question is that he certainly backed PC in the summer transfer market and even Cook himself said that on several occasions. I have seen some comments suggesting that some of those signings being Ashton’s and not Cook’s but tbh I find that hard to believe.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:38 pm

Ashton said when first came here that Cook had given him a long list of specific players he wanted . So that’s not Ashton buying players willy nilly then is it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:01 pm

I don't believe for One second that any of our signings were not Cook's selections.