Cook

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

Re: Cook

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:26 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:05 pm
barmy billy wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:24 pm
The article from the Guardian touches on what I said last night about Ashton & his very large ego & any new manager having to work with him. Bluemike was very upfront from the start about Cook & that is pretty much how I feel about Ashton. I know he facillitated all the comings & going in the summer, but there is something about him I just don't take to. Difficult to explain exactly but I wonder if others feel the same?

An interesting time ahead to be sure.
I said a couple of months ago when a lot of plaudits were being given to Ashton that I would give it a couple of years before forming a opinion and that is still the case.
Obviously like others I have seen the comments made by some Bristol City and Watford supporters about him but like everything we will just have to see how things pan out. The one thing that I don’t think you can question is that he certainly backed PC in the summer transfer market and even Cook himself said that on several occasions. I have seen some comments suggesting that some of those signings being Ashton’s and not Cook’s but tbh I find that hard to believe.
Shed, I don’t think Cook was the right fit, but do you think managers today don’t have the time to build a squad,
It’s even worse for big clubs like the Town etc., the fans want instant improvement /, success.

Cook tried the route of getting in near enough a whole new squad, never works unless you spend fortunes which you can’t,

I think you need a steady experienced manager who has been around and get in some good loan
Players, Warnock, Bruce, would do that, and top clubs would send young players to you to learn from them, ( like MM did while at your club)

anyway onwards and upwards

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:11 pm

To be honest John I don't think bringing in a whole new squad was the issue, I think Cook's inability to mix things up coupled with playing players out of position, weird substitutions and team selections was his downfall.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:23 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:26 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
barmy billy wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:24 pm
The article from the Guardian touches on what I said last night about Ashton & his very large ego & any new manager having to work with him. Bluemike was very upfront from the start about Cook & that is pretty much how I feel about Ashton. I know he facillitated all the comings & going in the summer, but there is something about him I just don't take to. Difficult to explain exactly but I wonder if others feel the same?

An interesting time ahead to be sure.
I said a couple of months ago when a lot of plaudits were being given to Ashton that I would give it a couple of years before forming a opinion and that is still the case.
Obviously like others I have seen the comments made by some Bristol City and Watford supporters about him but like everything we will just have to see how things pan out. The one thing that I don’t think you can question is that he certainly backed PC in the summer transfer market and even Cook himself said that on several occasions. I have seen some comments suggesting that some of those signings being Ashton’s and not Cook’s but tbh I find that hard to believe.
Shed, I don’t think Cook was the right fit, but do you think managers today don’t have the time to build a squad,
It’s even worse for big clubs like the Town etc., the fans want instant improvement /, success.

Cook tried the route of getting in near enough a whole new squad, never works unless you spend fortunes which you can’t,

I think you need a steady experienced manager who has been around and get in some good loan
Players, Warnock, Bruce, would do that, and top clubs would send young players to you to learn from them, ( like MM did while at your club)

G&B
I can only speak regarding ITFC and imo the club in the past 10-15 years have given some managers too much time to turn things around.
With regards to Cook for me the concern was that although on a few occasions it looked like things might be turning, very quickly it became evident that this was not the case and since the result at Wycombe it has become progressively worse. Obviously he did not help himself by being so stubborn regarding changing formation.
As I’ve said previously I was happy when he was appointed and as a ITFC supporter I am disappointed that it didn’t work out but just felt that this was going to be the case from the early part of this season. The thing which has surprised me is that the board have acted now, although I’m glad they have, as I felt they would wait until the end of the season.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:11 pm
To be honest John I don't think bringing in a whole new squad was the issue, I think Cook's inability to mix things up coupled with playing players out of position, weird substitutions and team selections was his downfall.

Cook was a strange replacement, think it was probably your previous owners cheap fix, still think he signed too many players to try work a team from,
but managers get such a short time now to succeed, especially at clubs like the Town, Sunderland etc,
at lesser clubs managers like Paul Hurst, and those brothers at Lincoln always looked good bets, until they get to clubs with bigger ambitions,

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:12 pm

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:14 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:23 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Shed on tour wrote:

G&B
I can only speak regarding ITFC and imo the club in the past 10-15 years have given some managers too much time to turn things around.
With regards to Cook for me the concern was that although on a few occasions it looked like things might be turning, very quickly it became evident that this was not the case and since the result at Wycombe it has become progressively worse. Obviously he did not help himself by being so stubborn regarding changing formation.
As I’ve said previously I was happy when he was appointed and as a ITFC supporter I am disappointed that it didn’t work out but just felt that this was going to be the case from the early part of this season. The thing which has surprised me is that the board have acted now, although I’m glad they have, as I felt they would wait until the end of the season.
I think you hit the nail on the head there Shed, "Being so stubborn" he was full it with us,
Trouble is now its such a short time to get a new manager in before January now,
Warnock would probably be your best bet, but if he joined my club I'd start supporting WBA cant stand the grubby foul mouthed git,
your best managers lasted over 8yrs ?. very rare to see a manager last that sort of time now, that doesn't show the whole picture i know,
Sir Bobby Robson 13 yrs
Alf Ramsey. 8yrs
George Burley 8yrs

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:11 pm
To be honest John I don't think bringing in a whole new squad was the issue, I think Cook's inability to mix things up coupled with playing players out of position, weird substitutions, and team selections was his downfall.
Exactly BM, a good manager will know the right time for a change to any particular game, and I don't mean tinkering, I mean a tactical change to benefit a certain situation during the game, and he didn't have Liam Richardson as his right-hand man this time, plus when Richardson was approached to come to Ipswich he turned it down, as I think that in the past Liam's tactics were the reason for successes at previous clubs with Cook grabbing the glory, PC was certainly found out big time when he had to do it on his own level, which we know was rubbish :D :D
Last edited by ashfordblue on Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:26 am
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 am
Ian Craney, Franny Jeffers and Gary Roberts need to go as well. They were PC's choices.
They will be gone by Sunday morning FACT
Might be Monday morning instead :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:55 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:14 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:23 pm
goldandblack wrote:

G&B
I think you hit the nail on the head there Shed, "Being so stubborn" he was full it with us,
Trouble is now its such a short time to get a new manager in before January now,
Warnock would probably be your best bet, but if he joined my club I'd start supporting WBA cant stand the grubby foul mouthed git,
your best managers lasted over 8yrs ?. very rare to see a manager last that sort of time now, that doesn't show the whole picture i know,
Sir Bobby Robson 13 yrs
Alf Ramsey. 8yrs
George Burley 8yrs
Exactly G&B Neil is like marmite you love him or hate him, BUT boy has he got a good track record with getting teams promoted and working well together, and as for a foul mouth git, he can come here and swear his head off I F*****G love him :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:57 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:23 am
Ian Craney, Franny Jeffers and Gary Roberts need to go as well. They were PC's choices.
Yep Liz their too busy today nicking the wheels of the management and players cars :lol: :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:59 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:12 pm
G&B lost for words :lol: :lol: :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 pm

Feel like it could be Yallop, had links with the owners etc.

Very underwhelming if so, but saying that I don’t know how well he has done in the states? I’d just rather have someone the players here might respect and who is more proven at this level.

Shame Wilder is at Boro, I mean he would have been a hell of a coup but it would have been a great appointment.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:02 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:59 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:12 pm
G&B lost for words :lol: :lol: :lol:
it was either an answer to Liz, I know she cant read very fast so i was writing it very slow. :wink:
or i was replying to ShedS post and got his quote muddled with my reply and am not clever enough to change it LOL.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:07 pm

shabba wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:26 pm
Feel like it could be Yallop, had links with the owners etc.

Very underwhelming if so, but saying that I don’t know how well he has done in the states? I’d just rather have someone the players here might respect and who is more proven at this level.

Shame Wilder is at Boro, I mean he would have been a hell of a coup but it would have been a great appointment.
agree shabba that is the calibre of boss i would go for , Wilder would be a great choice if he was available, but he would need time, with enough money Kenny Jacket would be a good choice, but as history has proved with 3 of the your past 4 managers were connected to Wolves perhaps not King Kenny :?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:39 am

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:49 am

Yip :

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... fc-8541226

McGreal clearly brought in for this very job, which suggest to me anyway that around 2 weeks ago the owners had decided to sack Cook. Tally’s with the last American visit ? Which means Ashton has been on the case of a new manager search for at least a week ( despite what he has said publicly) .

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:55 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:57 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:43 pm
ashfordblue wrote:

Yep Liz their too busy today nicking the wheels of the management and players cars :lol: :lol: :lol:
Monday it was, they have all gone :D Also John Mcgreal steps in for now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:05 pm

That backroom crew looked like a mish mash of has beens doesn't it ? Another big cross against Cook really.

Mcgreal is fine for a few games but please not as the permanent manager!!!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:05 pm
That backroom crew looked like a mish mash of has beens doesn't it ? Another big cross against Cook really.

McGreal is fine for a few games but please not as the permanent manager!!!
:roll: I will say only one thing BM :shock: you won't like the new manager when he arrives :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:07 pm

I hope its Farke, been told today he was at the game Saturday, more rumours

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:12 pm

As Americans like to say “cover all the bases”. Think it is a clever move by the owners and board.
1) They are no doubt aware that the atmosphere had started to become toxic amongst the fans again and therefore what better way to stop it in the short term than appoint a respected ex player as interim manager.
2) If we lose the next couple of games they can then say well JM was only a stop gap until the man that they really wanted became available.
3) If somehow we managed to win the next 2 or 3 games and they were having difficulty in getting the man in that was their first choice it might persuade them to keep JM in place for a longer period.
The one thing that is pretty certain the decision to get rid of PC was certainly taken before the Barrow game and may have even been made a few weeks back.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:45 pm

When did that last American owner stump up here? CozI think they had their Board meeting then and made their decision to dump Cook….soon after that visit we announce McGreals arrival, and as Dyers assistant with U23’s, lol , yer like that’s going to happen, he was brought in specifically to do an interim job with a view to assistant next manager possibly.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:30 pm

Clearly missed all the fun over the weekend so need to catch up. First impressions; what a ridiculous interim appointment, sack an experienced Liverpudlian manager with a successful track record with a preferred 4,2,3,1 playing style, and replace him with an inexperienced Liverpudlian manager with no track record and a preferred playing style of 4,2,3,1 which we know our squad appear not to enjoy playing. Who the f*ck makes these decisions ?

Happy days at the ITFC Circus.

I guess this also clears up why Peter Reid was brought in, which I assume was no observe and report back on Paul Cook.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:45 pm

If it means suffering a couple more games using 4-2-3-1 and then moving forward I'm happy with that

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:57 pm

As the majority of the current squad were brought in by Cook if they prefer not playing the system he preferred then surely it would appear that Cook got the wrong players in.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:57 pm

Problem is we need to run these next three league games don’t we and players , it seems, don’t like that formation.

I “blame” the players mostly anyway . Only they can affect things once crossing that white line . Over recent weeks it’s looked like we were watching a Lambert team again…. The players couldn’t give a f*ck could they !

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:30 pm
Clearly missed all the fun over the weekend so need to catch up. First impressions; what a ridiculous interim appointment, sack an experienced Liverpudlian manager with a successful track record with a preferred 4,2,3,1 playing style, and replace him with an inexperienced Liverpudlian manager with no track record and a preferred playing style of 4,2,3,1 which we know our squad appear not to enjoy playing. Who the f*ck makes these decisions ?

Happy days at the ITFC Circus.

I guess this also clears up why Peter Reid was brought in, which I assume was no observe and report back on Paul Cook.
i believe Peter Reid was brought in as an interpreter to actually understand what all those scouse were actually saying, :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:13 pm

The only positives so far are that one, that we know we have a decisive Board of Directors, and two, we know that the clubs main objective is to secure promotion this season not next. For me the timing came as a bit of a shock although not a complete surprise as recent performances have been completely unacceptable, however personally I blame the players more than the manager and I feel a tinge of sadness for Paul Cook who I think is a decent bloke. He’s played his preferred system before and been successful with it at this level, professional footballers should be able to play the system the manager wants and it shouldn't be difficult to follow instructions. We hit six goals past Doncaster Rovers and four past Portsmouth and Wycombe using it so the players know it can work, I think Paul Cook lost his job because a few key players lost form at the wrong time or were injured , Bonne & Burns immediately come to mind. Knowing now that this Board are trigger happy, each Manager appointed could be on borrowed time if success doesn’t come quickly, that will suit some journeymen managers who are happy bagging compensation but not others looking to further their career. John McGreal/Kieron Dyer doesn’t overly excite me but I can only hope. Sadly we still seem to be a football club in decline and this will continue until we get lucky finding the right manager to reverse what has been a long slow downward decline since Jim Magilton left in April 2009. Since then Mick McCarthy is the only manager who’s teams have won more games than they lost. That’s a pretty shocking managerial record.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:17 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:13 pm
The only positives so far are that one, that we know we have a decisive Board of Directors, and two, we know that the clubs main objective is to secure promotion this season not next. For me the timing came as a bit of a shock although not a complete surprise as recent performances have been completely unacceptable, however personally I blame the players more than the manager and I feel a tinge of sadness for Paul Cook who I think is a decent bloke. He’s played his preferred system before and been successful with it at this level, professional footballers should be able to play the system the manager wants and it shouldn't be difficult to follow instructions. We hit six goals past Doncaster Rovers and four past Portsmouth and Wycombe using it so the players know it can work, I think Paul Cook lost his job because a few key players lost form at the wrong time or were injured , Bonne & Burns immediately come to mind. Knowing now that this Board are trigger happy, each Manager appointed could be on borrowed time if success doesn’t come quickly, that will suit some journeymen managers who are happy bagging compensation but not others looking to further their career. John McGreal/Kieron Dyer doesn’t overly excite me but I can only hope. Sadly we still seem to be a football club in decline and this will continue until we get lucky finding the right manager to reverse what has been a long slow downward decline since Jim Magilton left in April 2009. Since then Mick McCarthy is the only manager who’s teams have won more games than they lost. That’s a pretty shocking managerial record.
Spot on.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:37 pm

Yip , I’d say that’s pretty much how I see it too