Our next manager

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Re: Our next manager

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:29 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:55 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:58 am
mendipblue wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 pm

I hope the board gage the feelings of the fans b4 they appoiont a new manager
because some of the names being mentioned worry me.
!Unless you mean who they shouldn't appoint and in that case yes i get you. Make an appointment which is universally unpopular and that manager will have to work twice as hard to keep fans off his back.
You got me then. Right the club needs a Manager with a proven track record and has total respect from the players.
🙂 Always thought it best to check as it is sometimes easy to take the wrong context, which on my first reading i admit i had done, rather than to go off totally in one direction. 🙂

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:10 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:22 pm
The more names I read linked to our vacant managers post the more I think Mick Mills may have been right when he suggested Paul Cook should have been given until the end of the season to get things right. My biggest fear now is that we become a hire and fire club and continue in decline. I honestly don’t know how I would cope with a drop to League Two. Are Bradford City the only side so far to have dropped from the Premier League to League Two.
In a nutshell! 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:40 pm

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:56 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:40 pm
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... r-town-job

Rumour update...

I’m fed up with it already, I just want it done and dusted with a significant improvement on we had otherwise the turmoil simply isn’t worth it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:28 pm

number 9 wrote:

Rumour update...
Like just about all potential candidates , very underwhelming.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:28 pm
number 9 wrote:

Rumour update...
Like just about all potential candidates , very underwhelming.

Agree they don't look any better than Cook so far 😩

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
The more names I read linked to our vacant managers post the more I think Mick Mills may have been right when he suggested Paul Cook should have been given until the end of the season to get things right. My biggest fear now is that we become a hire and fire club and continue in decline. I honestly don’t know how I would cope with a drop to League Two. Are Bradford City the only side so far to have dropped from the Premier League to League Two.
100% agree with this.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:37 pm

Unless the quality of player recruitment turns out to rubbish over the time, I am pleased we terminated Cook as he has done nothing for the club since his appointment.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:58 pm

Short term Neil Warnock would sort this lot out had 8 promotions to date, long Term Managers Aidy Boothroyd, Frank Lampard & John Terry partnership, Tony Mowbray ( But Would Mogga Leave Blackburn), maybe with money to spend, unlike under Evans, Liam Richardson with the right backing would he leave Wigan Ath, or Maybe Sam Allardyce or Daniel Farke both have proven track records, a lot of talk for Canadian Frank Yallop ex Ipswich player having worked successfully in the states for our owners, but no track record here in the UK.

But whoever comes in this time really has got to get results fast and stabilize the club so that it can move onwards and upwards.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:22 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:58 pm
But whoever comes in this time really has got to get results fast and stabilize the club so that it can move onwards and upwards.
There could well lie the problem! Firstly the appointment must please the masses as i am not sure how much of a stomach a lot of fans have if the new manager has a mediocre start! Looking at the potential first games against some decent teams, i wouldn't put money on a fairytale start!

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:32 pm

I really don’t care
How about
Blue Mike
Hallam
Charnwood
Dave

No overpaid hyped up nothings thanks

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:55 pm

“Harris tight lipped on Town job “, it’s going to be him isn’t it …. He’s brand of football is reportedly “ direct”… so by that they mean Hoof do they ? Jeeeze and we sacked Cook for this ? I bloody hope not !

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:08 am

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:32 pm
I really don’t care
How about
Blue Mike
Hallam
Charnwood
Dave

How about just the first 3 names Marvin, then we can affectionately refer to them as the 'Junta'. :wink:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:11 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:55 pm
“Harris tight lipped on Town job “, it’s going to be him isn’t it …. He’s brand of football is reportedly “ direct”… so by that they mean Hoof do they ? Jeeeze and we sacked Cook for this ? I bloody hope not !
It may appear that way Liz, however, I think it's fair to say MA has managed to surprise in the past in getting people to become part of the club who we may have thought wouldn't join.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:03 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:
100% agree with this.
Yes, if there’s no plan to replace Cook with someone significantly better, might as well have kept him

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:24 am

Frosty wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:08 am
Marvinbay1973 wrote:
I really don’t care
How about
Blue Mike
Hallam
Charnwood
Dave

How about just the first 3 names Marvin, then we can affectionately refer to them as the 'Junta'. :wink:
I was thinking more like The Supremes !

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:26 am

Charnwood wrote:
Agreed. I can’t defend Cook’s record here and those results are definitely sackable - but I think there’s bigger things at stake regarding getting promoted this season.
The owners have now set a precedent and if a new manager doesn’t start well, he’ll be under immediate pressure and have the same fate. A vicious circle and it worries me that if things don’t improve quick enough, the owners could pull the plug and cut their losses.

I think Cook should have got to the end of the season. Not necessarily for him, but our playing squad. Whoever manages, we need good players. So many of these players have cited Cook as the reason they’re here as part of a project, yet a few months later he’s gone. Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of these are now onto their agents wanting a move out. It’s easy to say good riddance, but we can’t keep on buying new squads every window. Worst case scenario would have been we ended up mid-table, but we’d have some players who would form a nucleus of the squad with or without Cook. Now we’ve got a huge squad bought for a manager who’s out of the door. It’s all very well saying get Warnock in, but would these players fit him?

And it doesn’t matter if Cook was Evans man. The board ignored Cook’s form at the end of last season and agreed to get rid of the old squad and buy him a new squad. And then tore up that plan pretty quickly. Cook became their man and they have to take responsibility for that as well. If they didn’t have the faith in him they should have sacked him at the end of the season and brought their own man in to buy a new squad. I would have been more impressed with them as owners if they’d have come out in support of Cook and taken some of the heat. It’s not all about taking the plaudits and images of Johnson and Ashton celebrating or Ashton high-fiving fans.
Totally understand why Cook had to go, but there’s no magic wand and I think mid to long term we’d get more from giving Cook to the end of the season for the sake of the squad and laying down foundations. Cook has form for slow starts and then hitting a hot streak. If it doesn’t happen, then Cook goes, but we’d have a year’s worth of structure in place and some players who’d feel a part of the club and it’s future.

I’m on a bit of a downer with the club at the moment. These candidates look pretty underwhelming, but maybe someone like Harris might be something we deserve and ultimately be the right man. It might bring expectations down and we might slowly improve. Maybe we needed the honeymoon period to end and lower our expectations and start becoming a real League One side who are prepared to scrap our way out of this league.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:48 am

Sorry I just don’t agree with this I have only come here because of the manager thing.
For me you sign for Ipswich Town Football Club. A manager can go at anytime whether they are successful or not. If they are not happy about that then as far as I’m concerned they can go elsewhere. Just my opinion of course.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:48 am

Thing is, how many of the so-called candidates mentioned have actually been stated to be candidates by the club?

So far, all we have is media rumour - I don't take any notice of it and I'm betting the man we finally get in hasn't been mentioned by the press yet.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:22 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:26 am
Charnwood wrote:
Agreed. I can’t defend Cook’s record here and those results are definitely sackable - but I think there’s bigger things at stake regarding getting promoted this season.
The owners have now set a precedent and if a new manager doesn’t start well, he’ll be under immediate pressure and have the same fate. A vicious circle and it worries me that if things don’t improve quick enough, the owners could pull the plug and cut their losses.

I think Cook should have got to the end of the season. Not necessarily for him, but our playing squad. Whoever manages, we need good players. So many of these players have cited Cook as the reason they’re here as part of a project, yet a few months later he’s gone. Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of these are now onto their agents wanting a move out. It’s easy to say good riddance, but we can’t keep on buying new squads every window. Worst case scenario would have been we ended up mid-table, but we’d have some players who would form a nucleus of the squad with or without Cook. Now we’ve got a huge squad bought for a manager who’s out of the door. It’s all very well saying get Warnock in, but would these players fit him?

And it doesn’t matter if Cook was Evans man. The board ignored Cook’s form at the end of last season and agreed to get rid of the old squad and buy him a new squad. And then tore up that plan pretty quickly. Cook became their man and they have to take responsibility for that as well. If they didn’t have the faith in him they should have sacked him at the end of the season and brought their own man in to buy a new squad. I would have been more impressed with them as owners if they’d have come out in support of Cook and taken some of the heat. It’s not all about taking the plaudits and images of Johnson and Ashton celebrating or Ashton high-fiving fans.
Totally understand why Cook had to go, but there’s no magic wand and I think mid to long term we’d get more from giving Cook to the end of the season for the sake of the squad and laying down foundations. Cook has form for slow starts and then hitting a hot streak. If it doesn’t happen, then Cook goes, but we’d have a year’s worth of structure in place and some players who’d feel a part of the club and it’s future.

I’m on a bit of a downer with the club at the moment. These candidates look pretty underwhelming, but maybe someone like Harris might be something we deserve and ultimately be the right man. It might bring expectations down and we might slowly improve. Maybe we needed the honeymoon period to end and lower our expectations and start becoming a real League One side who are prepared to scrap our way out of this league.
It's hard to disagree with any of that.
Last edited by MasseyFerguson on Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:24 pm

I can't help feeling that there is more to the Paul Cool sacking than is in the public domain. Yes, his results and intransigence on formation etc was not good enough but the whole Norwood story - and the fact that he said that Cook was working under some form of restriction (of that is true) just does not sit right with me. We may find out more in the months to come but I smell a bit of a rat there. Nothing we can do about that now though and whoever comes in - regardless of how underwhelming they may appear at first glance, I will (and I hope we all will), get behind them until they prove otherwise. Plenty of big names have failed at clubs and plenty of supposedly underwhelming ones have had success - its all a bit of a lottery really! 🤷🏻‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:39 pm

Ashton rules I suspect

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:40 pm

HA!! NOOOORWOOD 👍

Got that one right wooooah

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:05 pm

Marvinbay1973 wrote:
I really don’t care
How about
Blue Mike
Hallam
Charnwood
Dave

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now if you had mentioned good old ASH I would have taken this very seriously :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:41 pm

:roll: Do you know I have this Gut feeling that Mogga will leave Blackburn and come to us, usually when I get this sense of feeling it usually comes to fruition 😉 also the board and CEO will sanction a huge pay incentive, plus he will have money to bring in the players he wants, I like how Mogga has worked on little funds at the Blackburn chicken house, and he's built a very stable and strong and competitive Championship squad in 4th place at present.

I will be very interested to see how this gut feeling pans out :roll: and not in the toilet pan I might add :lol: :lol:

Failing that I feel we definitely need Neil Warnock who works in fairly similar ways to Mogga, build's his teams from the back, and midfield, and is very shrewd in the transfer market doesn't waste time on numbers only quality players.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:07 pm

Anyone want John McGreal to be given a shot at it until the end of the season ?
Very good and honest post match interview I have to say ….

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:24 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:07 pm
Anyone want John McGreal to be given a shot at it until the end of the season ?
Very good and honest post match interview I have to say ….
Not yet read the interview, however i did say after the Charlton debacle that we were doing him an injustice judging at such an early stage. Hopefully, while not perfect i am sure, fans will have seen a difference today? I did not see/hear the game today, but would never have even considered getting a point today!

I think, by the words used, JM has been given a clear mandate, but it is blindingly obvious that he cares about this club and that is a quality that not many could bring as a manager.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:53 pm

Just read some of his thoughts and yes, i have to admit there seems to have been something wrong under PC. I think perhaps the coaching set up seems to have not been right for this club, and yes PC is the top of that tree, therefore culpable. Sometimes things start coming to light after a sacking and while i still maintain that PC was sacked too early, if we now start to pick up dramatically then sure i will hold my hands up and say i got it wrong.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:28 pm

I always thought It will take John 3 or 4 games to sort this out, and he's ably assisted with Kieran as his No 2 who's doing well with the Under 23's let's just see how we go up until the Jan window opens, and also once we have the injured players back he'll have more choice, but I can see Fraser going to Swansea he just can't seem to settle here and his games are very up and down form-wise, yet on his day, he is a very good player that's why Swansea are looking at him.

Likewise, with Norwood, sometimes when a player gets a second chance they grab it and start performing again, let's hope this is so, and give Jackson a leg up alongside Norwood, and maybe Pigott cleaning up ??? but Bonne is well off the boil needs some time in the under 23's to get his form back and as it stands no way would QPR be calling him back anytime soon.

Let's just see how John handles it for a while we could be pleasantly surprised.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:30 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:04 am
I'd like to see Mowbray once again as team coach but you got to discount for this season as he's got a full-time job at Blackburn what with them on the verge of the automatic promotion places. Would expect them to finish top six and probably lottery of the play-off games, all said and done he'll stick with them and see it through to next May. No team will lure him away and he'll have little intention of leaving also.

Lennon paraded about but has little to no experience outside of the twilight world of Scottish soccer. May have done a job in the SPL or lower league there but could present a fish out of water trying to accomplish something even in the third tier of the English leagues.

Farke or Bruce if available : you got to overlook the Norwich connection. OK it might provide some fun or ridicule from their fanbase if we were to appoint either name but right now you (as in us) could well hire far worse. In an ideal world I'd jump at the chance to allow Claudio Ranieri the opportunity but got to accept it's a slim to no shot at best. Don't think Leicester City or Watford are any bigger in stature than we are other than leagues above but the idea he would accept a position so far down the league pyramid is unfortunately a rare to non-starter.
Neil Lennon has operated at Champions League leve and been very successful. Also has a win over a top class Barca on his record. Not sure any future Ipswich manager will ever get or have that experience. Your twighlight world comment should be left where it is and given the contempt it deserves