Our next manager

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

valleyroad

Re: Our next manager

Post by valleyroad » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:36 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:26 am
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:22 pm
The more names I read linked to our vacant managers post the more I think Mick Mills may have been right when he suggested Paul Cook should have been given until the end of the season to get things right. My biggest fear now is that we become a hire and fire club and continue in decline. I honestly don’t know how I would cope with a drop to League Two. Are Bradford City the only side so far to have dropped from the Premier League to League Two.
Agreed. I can’t defend Cook’s record here and those results are definitely sackable - but I think there’s bigger things at stake regarding getting promoted this season.
The owners have now set a precedent and if a new manager doesn’t start well, he’ll be under immediate pressure and have the same fate. A vicious circle and it worries me that if things don’t improve quick enough, the owners could pull the plug and cut their losses.

I think Cook should have got to the end of the season. Not necessarily for him, but our playing squad. Whoever manages, we need good players. So many of these players have cited Cook as the reason they’re here as part of a project, yet a few months later he’s gone. Wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of these are now onto their agents wanting a move out. It’s easy to say good riddance, but we can’t keep on buying new squads every window. Worst case scenario would have been we ended up mid-table, but we’d have some players who would form a nucleus of the squad with or without Cook. Now we’ve got a huge squad bought for a manager who’s out of the door. It’s all very well saying get Warnock in, but would these players fit him?

And it doesn’t matter if Cook was Evans man. The board ignored Cook’s form at the end of last season and agreed to get rid of the old squad and buy him a new squad. And then tore up that plan pretty quickly. Cook became their man and they have to take responsibility for that as well. If they didn’t have the faith in him they should have sacked him at the end of the season and brought their own man in to buy a new squad. I would have been more impressed with them as owners if they’d have come out in support of Cook and taken some of the heat. It’s not all about taking the plaudits and images of Johnson and Ashton celebrating or Ashton high-fiving fans.
Totally understand why Cook had to go, but there’s no magic wand and I think mid to long term we’d get more from giving Cook to the end of the season for the sake of the squad and laying down foundations. Cook has form for slow starts and then hitting a hot streak. If it doesn’t happen, then Cook goes, but we’d have a year’s worth of structure in place and some players who’d feel a part of the club and it’s future.

I’m on a bit of a downer with the club at the moment. These candidates look pretty underwhelming, but maybe someone like Harris might be something we deserve and ultimately be the right man. It might bring expectations down and we might slowly improve. Maybe we needed the honeymoon period to end and lower our expectations and start becoming a real League One side who are prepared to scrap our way out of this league.
Great post, agree with all of it

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:44 pm

Neil Warnock supposedly evens now in the betting …whatever that means 🤷‍♀️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:44 pm
Neil Warnock supposedly evens now in the betting …whatever that means 🤷‍♀️
The odds change every day Liz as new rumours are started, in truth it would appear nobody had a clue and all is speculation.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Anyone else expecting to be really underwhelmed and massively disappointed by our next manager and asking the question just etc have we achieved in sacking the last one ?

I’m not hopeful, I’m really not !

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:32 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Anyone else expecting to be really underwhelmed and massively disappointed by our next manager and asking the question just etc have we achieved in sacking the last one ?

Yes. It's all very unsettling. Why was Cook sacked when there was no replacement lined up?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:04 pm

Perhaps the owners are as half-assed as the last. Got to be realistic about whatever name we bring in, won't be nothing fancy and won't live up to expectation to many. To be expected really, this is a club name in the Third League of the "football" order that has appointed failure after failure since Sheepshanks was in town. Most respectability or sense of achievement has diminished considerably in the time since, bottom line we're no longer an attractive proposition that can hope to hire anyone of substantial talent or hope of achievement. Not pleasant to say but that's (about) the truth of it.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:27 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:32 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Yes. It's all very unsettling. Why was Cook sacked when there was no replacement lined up?
So you're suggesting they should have shafted him instead by replacing him behind his back? There's far too much of that sort of thing going on in life. The board simply decided he wasn't doing the business, and got rid - they acted honourably IMO.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:35 pm

saint jude wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:04 pm
Perhaps the owners are as half-assed as the last. Got to be realistic about whatever name we bring in, won't be nothing fancy and won't live up to expectation to many. To be expected really, this is a club name in the Third League of the "football" order that has appointed failure after failure since Sheepshanks was in town. Most respectability or sense of achievement has diminished considerably in the time since, bottom line we're no longer an attractive proposition that can hope to hire anyone of substantial talent or hope of achievement. Not pleasant to say but that's (about) the truth of it.
I'd disagree with that. Ipswich Town are still a big club with a big stature and history in English football. I'd imagine there are a number of top level managers interested in this job.
Might be best to be patient and let the board do their job.
Sometimes its also not the big name that turns out to be best.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:

Who would you realistically want? I mean it’s hard to think of anyone who would impress us fans and actually be achievable as a target?
I have a feeling they may go for Warnock until end of season and then try and get Tony Mo in the summer.

I just keep hearing fans say they are underwhelmed but nobody is suggesting anyone better. We may also end up with Harris, I don’t know enough about his style or such but his record doesn’t seem that bad and is probably a bit less ‘merry go round’ than some of the names mentioned.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:24 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:09 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Who would you realistically want? I mean it’s hard to think of anyone who would impress us fans and actually be achievable as a target?
I have a feeling they may go for Warnock until end of season and then try and get Tony Mo in the summer.

I just keep hearing fans say they are underwhelmed but nobody is suggesting anyone better. We may also end up with Harris, I don’t know enough about his style or such but his record doesn’t seem that bad and is probably a bit less ‘merry go round’ than some of the names mentioned.
It's an interesting question. Warnock would be a stop gap given his age. Most of the other names being mentioned are no better than Cook. On paper anyway. Cook had not exactly set the world alight but there were flashes of potential. If the owners had a clear plan for who would replace Cook I could understand him being fired now. It looks like they had no clear plan. That makes his firing premature for me.

I agree it's hard to see what appointment would satisfy fans. We are in a mess at the moment. We have a rich tradition but I don't think we are an attractive proposition for any top level manager just now.

As Hallam said, it's all very disappointing.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:07 pm

You are right that any way you look at it, Cooks leaving was premature. Unless of course, if there were things going on behind the scenes that we are not party to - that is my bet but we won't find out for months or years hence...

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:12 am

As I suggested in my other posts, any management CEO board of directors at Ipswich with any common sense will employ Neil Warnock and I think he will be here either just before or just after the festive period, he's ready to go again and is looking for a challenge, as it stands at the moment we have an able fill-in manager in John McGreal, John has enough common sense to get the team playing with more effort and fight, and as proved at Wigan able to make changes to get the team firing on all cylinders.
I think John will field a strong enough team against Barrow to win and go to Barnsley in the 3rd round, But if we don't win so what, it's no big deal, as we need to concentrate on getting up the league.

So Hopefully, Enter Neil Warnock to get us into shape and winning. COYB

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:37 am

I am sorry, but I just do not get this obsession some have with Warnock. He is not that good and at 73 or thereabouts his best days are surely behind him. At best he would only be a stop-gap & is that what we want? Not in my opinion.

If any of what we read about Ashton is correct, I think ITFC will find it harder than perhaps we imagine to find a new manager: sacking Cook without appearing to have a replacement in mind was I think a big mistake that the club may regret. I think we are in for rocky times no matter who gets the job, especially if they are not allowed to manage as they want.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:27 am

barmy billy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:37 am
I am sorry, but I just do not get this obsession some have with Warnock. He is not that good and at 73 or thereabouts his best days are surely behind him. At best he would only be a stop-gap & is that what we want? Not in my opinion.

If any of what we read about Ashton is correct, I think ITFC will find it harder than perhaps we imagine to find a new manager: sacking Cook without appearing to have a replacement in mind was I think a big mistake that the club may regret. I think we are in for rocky times no matter who gets the job, especially if they are not allowed to manage as they want.
Agree with you BB. I think Warnocks best days are behind him. I’d like to see a proven German come in, not necessarily Farke either. The German football system is creating some great coaches. I’m not sure why, but numerous German managers/coaches seem to know how to create a team. British managers/coaches bore me to be honest.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:19 am

It would seem Harris is the man

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 am

bluejacko wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:19 am
Yes it looks like Harris not my choice but I like him as a person and he's done OK at Millwall and Cardiff but is he any better than Cook ? also it looks like 4231 is how he likes to play but I guess we just have to get behind him and hope it works out.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:43 am

I just put Sky sports on and saw that Lambert was in Ipswich it seems that's where he still lives Phew!!!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:08 pm

I'd rather have Paul Cook back than have Neil Harris.

Uninspiring and shows what you get with knee jerk sackings.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:46 pm

For me the season is now about one thing - staying in League 1. We are 9 points away from the drop zone and 9 points off the play-off spots.

We cannot gamble with the manager choice given our league position. This club cannot end up sliding into League 2, it would be a total disaster.

Get the wrong manager and after 3/4 defeats in a row, we could find ourselves drawn into a relegation battle. The thought of that really frightens me.

I don't like Warnock he always moans and whinges in interviews but until the end of this season I think he's the safest bet. After that we can look to plan for 2022/23.

COYB.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:02 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:48 am
bluejacko wrote:
Yes it looks like Harris not my choice but I like him as a person and he's done OK at Millwall and Cardiff but is he any better than Cook ? also it looks like 4231 is how he likes to play but I guess we just have to get behind him and hope it works out.
If this is true, Harris & the dreaded 4231 are on the way. Why am I feeling very underwhelmed?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:39 pm

Slowly coming around to the idea of Harris.

I’m not sure I want to be overwhelmed again only to be disappointed. Might be better to get an unflashy manager who gets the basics right.

You don’t have to be a master tactician at this level. Just get a good group of players and make sure they do the simple things more often than not.

In a weird way, someone like Harris might be a better fit by underwhelming the fanbase straight away and slowly winning them over. High expectation levels haven’t really helped us and been more of a curse. He’s no mug as well without been a sexy choice.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:16 pm

TWTD understands former Bristol City, Aberdeen and St Johnstone boss Derek McInnes is among those to have applied for the vacant manager’s job with Town.

McInnes is well-known to Blues CEO Mark Ashton having worked with him at the Robins between 2011 and 2013.

However, it's not believed the twice-capped former Scotland international midfielder is a leading candidate for the role.

50-year-old left Aberdeen in March after eight years at Pittodrie, during which time he saw the Dons to the 2013/14 Scottish League Cup.

While at St Johnstone Paisley-born McInnes saw the Saints to the 2008/09 Scottish First Division title.

Speculation that former Millwall and Cardiff boss Neil Harris has been offered the job is premature with interviews for the role continuing.

As previously reported, Harris has applied and we understand is under serious consideration for the position. The Orsett-born ex-striker is the bookies’ favourite at 3-1 on.

Harris’s former Lions and Bluebirds assistant David Livermore was at last Tuesday’s 2-0 defeat at Charlton to run the rule over the Town team.

Meanwhile, it’s believed veteran former Sheffield United, QPR, Cardiff and Middlesbrough boss Neil Warnock is not under consideration.

Interim manager John McGreal will take charge of the Blues at Barrow on Wednesday and may well be the man in the hotseat for Saturday’s home match against Sunderland.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:31 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Not a popular choice among fans if the fan's poll in EADT is anything to go by. Harris achieved only 7 votes of over 2,500 cast!. That said if Warnock is not under consideration, that is a high percentage of voters who will be upset!

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:35 pm

I've just been looking at McInnes record he certainly did very well at Aberdeen and was very loyal turning down chances of taking over at Rangers, I'm now thinking he is our best choice so far.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:06 pm

Just give the job to McGreal. He’s just as good as any of these candidates listed ( that we’ve been told about). He knows the Club and appears to talk sense and is honest in his approach .

I’m sick to the back teeth of this club constantly cocking it up with their manager selection , and then not giving the last one more than one bloody transfer window with his team.

#groundhogday

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:17 pm

Yes he did well but it couldn't last. Arguably best team coach at Pittodrie since Alex Smith / Willie Miller in the 1990's. Put together a tough team that were hard to beat and grinded out a row of impressive scores but they were never going to win a Championship, not in that League.

McInnes has limited experience outside of Scotland and the time he did manage with Bristol City it were something of a non-event. Don't think the English League is suited to such a name. Once again and as before it's just another name or a considerably long list that was promising and highly thought of at one point or another but no longer really feasible regards appointing at present time.

Harris just doesn't motivate the senses at all, Warnock just appears non-practical and all other names we've been associated with it's all hearsay, conjecture and routes that will invariably lead to nowhere. Best time is when an actual appointment is made and then you can discuss it at length, that way it will be a lot easier.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:22 pm

But what about if McGreal does not want the job? yes he loves Town but if they were to offer it to him you would have to give the poor bloke a fighting chance, he has already been dumped in it.

He makes a lot of sense, honest and I like the bloke but I am not sure if he will cut it, I think he could do a decent job and maybe give him some help (unlike PC) but will the Board take a gamble? Think if we give him a couple more games, get Barrow and Sunderland done with and see where we are.

Thing is if he was offered the job who do you think he would bring in as coaches seeing the rest were canned? (and dont say Barnes or Shearings).

Like most I just want this to be sorted asap, its the not knowing that gets you lol.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:51 pm

John McGreal recent interview below. I read this and I feel even more now that he can do a decent job. Give him the res5 of the season if nothing else….we were never going to get promoted this season in my view. What have we to lose ?

Interview:

Interim boss John McGreal says the Blues have to continue the progress made at Wigan at the weekend when they take on League Two Barrow in their second round FA Cup replay on Wednesday evening at Holker Street.

McGreal has said his role is to give the squad a lift in his time in charge, leaving them in a better position for the permanent boss once he is appointed.

Asked how he felt that was going, having been given his temporary role last Monday following Paul Cook’s sacking, he said that the 1-1 draw at Wigan was a step in the right direction and a performance on which to build.

“I’d been in the door a couple of days [as an U23s coach], the manager then left, I then took the interim role, we had a really tough game at Charlton and the boys you could see were low on confidence after that game,” he said.

“All us guys that have come in, myself, Reg [Rene Gilmartin] and Kieron, have done is to lift the players, put on good training sessions, to try and win games of football but also to try and bring a bit of noise and get the players back to what they do best.

“Skip, Sam [Morsy]’s a testament to that, especially Saturday he was outstanding. Some of the performances on Saturday were very, very good to nullify Wigan, who this season have been in good form, to a couple of shots.

“I think we ticked all the boxes on the stats within the game, final third entries, penalty box entries and shots at goal and stuff, so you can see and you can sense a little bit of a change happening in training, filling them with confidence and hopefully now they can kick-on and maintain how we finished the game on Saturday going into this cup game.

“When players are fearful, they don’t play to their best, so we’re just trying to take the shackles off them so they try and enjoy a game of football. There’s nothing better than playing football and at a big club so they’ve got to embrace it.”

Inconsistency has been one of Town’s big failings this season and McGreal was asked whether that might be down to the squad having been assembled virtually from scratch in the summer.

“Possibly, yes,” he reflected. “I’ve been in the building for seven to 10 days. Going on past history as a player myself, it’s confidence. It just comes down to confidence at times and getting to grips with certain elements of your own individual game.

“That’s the thing really, sort your own individual game out. Working hard on the training pitch and then bringing it all together in the games. That’s how then you get your levels of consistency.

“I said before, there have been a few false dawns throughout the season. Big away wins. When the guys come back to a home match they need to put on some decent home performances.

“We’re just trying to get that consistency into the guys because there are some really top, top players here from the Championship and good players in League One that want to progress and move forward and at this moment in time, that’s our job to try and play without a little bit of fear.

“Try and stop the opposition in a way, nullify what they do but then also be on top of our game when we do get the ball.

“That’s been a big part, taking the ball in tight areas, and I thought we started to do that in the second half on Saturday, especially late in the second half.”

He says it’s very important for the team to play with confidence at Barrow on Wednesday.

“Hugely because you’ve got to take the ball and it will be a tight pitch,” he said. “You don’t know the condition of the pitch, it didn’t look overly the best after the game they played on Saturday, but again, there are no excuses whatsoever.

“We’ve got to do what we do well and we’ve got to improve again from Saturday. Saturday was a good step in the right direction, but again we need more and there’s no better way to do it now than on a TV game in a replay to get through to the third round.”

McGreal had praise for the Blues support at Wigan on Saturday, who he said played a big part in securing the point against the Latics.

“Huge. I had good friends in the away end on Saturday,” he said. “It’s a bit different to Colchester, don’t get me wrong, but the fans were brilliant.

“I keep going on record about our fans, they’re brilliant, they’re second to none and especially at the level we’re at at the minute, they do come in their thousands.

“It’s a credit to them. I keep saying, it’s a couple of weeks before Christmas and they’re turning up in their hundreds, nearly 1,500 I think were there at the weekend.

“It’s testament to each and every one of them, the way they support the club and all we’ve got to try and do is put on performances to make them happy because it is a long, long journey to travel back.

“That second half, it went hand in hand with the fans, they showed their support, our guys picked up a lot, finished the game strongly and we want to continue that in the FA Cup.”

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Based on his CV, why would McGreal be a better candidate than the others? He was an out of work L2 manager until less than 2 weeks ago.
We got a better second half performance against Wigan, but apart from that, nothing had improved. Don’t understand this “he knows the club” thing. He played here 20 years ago and only became part of the club a couple of days before Cook got fired.

Can’t see a bunch of US investors throwing lots of money towards a big project and then giving the reigns towards someone who was looking for a L2 manager’s job a couple of weeks back.

So we’re sticking our noses up at so-called underwhelming candidates who are probably more than qualified for a third tier club and then we want to give the job to an under-qualified manager just because he’s an ex-player. Sorry, can’t see the logic.

By all accounts, they’re still doing interviews and we probably don’t know who’s been interviewed.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:33 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:29 pm
Based on his CV, why would McGreal be a better candidate than the others? He was an out of work L2 manager until less than 2 weeks ago.
We got a better second half performance against Wigan, but apart from that, nothing had improved. Don’t understand this “he knows the club” thing. He played here 20 years ago and only became part of the club a couple of days before Cook got fired.

Can’t see a bunch of US investors throwing lots of money towards a big project and then giving the reigns towards someone who was looking for a L2 manager’s job a couple of weeks back.

So we’re sticking our noses up at so-called underwhelming candidates who are probably more than qualified for a third tier club and then we want to give the job to an under-qualified manager just because he’s an ex-player. Sorry, can’t see the logic.

By all accounts, they’re still doing interviews and we probably don’t know who’s been interviewed.
Exactly, really makes sense to just wait and see who is announced and then give them 100% backing.