Good squad or not ….

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Good squad or not ….

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:15 pm

The team isn’t functioning .

For me, there are two major areas of problem that need sorting before we gage any chance of moving forwards:

1) our defensive issues remain one of our biggest problems . It’s been going on for bloody years now. Just when is this going to be addressed ?

2) our midfield is ineffective and frequently outer run. Now I don’t know if that’s formation or the individual players in it .

We do actually have the strikers and at long last it seems a decent GK ( only pray we can secure him permanently).

Get the defence sorted
Get the midfield sorted

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Good squad or not ….

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:19 pm

I made the point quite a while back that in my opinion the Midfield is a bigger issue than the defence and I still believe that to be correct, our wide areas are fine as are our strikers, trouble there is we don't have enough of them on the pitch. The Midfield on the other hand is very average (Morsy apart), Evans, Harper, Fraser and Carroll just don't cut it while El Mizouni not had a chance.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:19 pm
I made the point quite a while back that in my opinion the Midfield is a bigger issue than the defence and I still believe that to be correct, our wide areas are fine as are our strikers, trouble there is we don't have enough of them on the pitch. The Midfield on the other hand is very average (Morsy apart), Evans, Harper, Fraser and Carroll just don't cut it while El Mizouni not had a chance.
I agree with that assessment. I know there has been a lot of talk about formations. I really don't care what formation is used as long as the team has a strong spine. Our midfield players are just not good enough. Apart from Morsy that is, and he is trying too hard to cover the problems around him.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:11 pm

Personally I’ve never been that impressed with Evans … he gives the ball away far too much but was obviously a Cook target to work alongside Morsy. The rest leave a lot to be desired. We are “ walked through “ in every game . Even a Charlton player said that after the match last night. But I’d also say our defence is average at best .

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:40 pm

I said weeks ago I wasn't impressed with most of Cook's/Asford's signings, while many were saying we have such a talented squad. It always felt like moe than a 'gel' issue with me. After watching games live, I was and still am baffled as to how professional football players can struggle to dribble, shoot and pass. Did we make Charlton look brilliant last night, or have Charlton's players just got a better grasp of the basics?

I think Morsy and Burns are talented, and there's a few others who have proven themselves at other clubs...but not so much for us. I think we've got problems all over the pitch. We still appear to be void of a leader in defence, midfield is disjointed and the frontline is ineffective at the moment. In some cases it does seem like players are being played out of position. I almost think Edwards would be a better striker becasue he can't cross or pass the ball...maybe he could dribble and stumble the ball into the net! :lol:

Our midfield is too weak in the center. I thought Morsy would be able to overcome that, but he needs help. Our positioning was horrible last night and has been suspect in the past. We finally tried a few touch and goes in the 2nd half, but it wasn't enough.

Although not playing last night, I'm really disappointed with Burgess. I thought he'd do well here.

Next questions, how many reinforcements do we need and how many can we realistically expect???

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:25 am

Bonne just needs decent service and a strike partner…..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:08 am

BlueBalls wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:16 am
Of the new signings, the only ones I'd keep are Burns, Morsey, Chaplin, Aluko, Walton, Celina.

Everyone else has been p*ss poor imo. Wouldnt be fussed to see Bonne go either.
And we haven't even signed 2 of them!!

I also think Edmundson, Pigott and to a lesser degree Harper are worth keeping.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:09 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:25 am
I take it you agree the one up front formation we've gone with is garbage Liz ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:09 am
hallamblue wrote:
I’ve never really like 1 up front Mike , but it seems to be used by so many teams . It would effectively be 3 up front if those supporting him got further forward, but they don’t …

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:09 am
hallamblue wrote:
Bonne was playing up front on his own in that formation when he was banging goals in. All of a sudden he doesn't seem to be getting that level of service. The only common denominator i can see here is that Burns has been out injured. Be interested to see where the supply lines for his goal have come from, and apart from where he has robbed keepers, i bet a lot has come from the right!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:31 pm

Burns was creating more than everyone else put together that's for sure.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:35 pm

If players were fit I’d be tempted to try …

Bonne ……Pigott……Norwood

Chaplin…….. Morsy….,,,., Burns

KVY …… Edmundson…… Toto…….. Donacacian

……,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Walton……………………

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:43 pm

I really don't want to see Norwood back in the line up but I have a horrible feeling it may happen. The fact he's in from the cold confirms it was Cook that banished him and not the hierarchy.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:45 pm

Tbh I’m thinking more about our team than him . I’d rather he’s in our team banging in the goals than going to Oxford and banging then in for them - which he would !

If he’s fit , play him . We need someone to shake it up , up front .

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:43 pm
I really don't want to see Norwood back in the line up but I have a horrible feeling it may happen. The fact he's in from the cold confirms it was Cook that banished him and not the hierarchy.
Here i go again, disagreeing with you Mike. I really must stop this! :lol: I think Norwood could make a difference! While we don't need any of his displays of petulance, he certainly could add some agression up front. Who knows, he could be looking to get himself noticed in the run up to the transfer window and a Norwood playing fairly well in L1 is likely to get himself a better deal than a Norwood playing excellently for the U23 team. I say the underlined bit because I don't think we would benefit much with only months of his contract left. Then again, Ashton seems to be quite clever in his dealings, so who knows!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:57 pm

As a player it wouldn't annoy me, as the scumbag he is i don't want him involved, hopefully he won't kill anyone driving to the ground while banned.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:41 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:35 pm

Bonne ……Pigott……Norwood

If all players were available, my team would be:
.......................Walton.........................
......Donacien......Nsiala..........Edmundson..
Burns.....Morsy....Norwood....Chaplin...Aluko
..............Bonne.........Pigott'...................

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:42 pm

Hell yes….I like that Gary !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:19 pm

That is a good team, its just the Norwood thing for me.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:18 am

It's tough to judge how good the team we got right now is or could be as they've often been played out of position or Cook always favored such bullshit starting deployments the players seemed unable to show their potential. So we made what 19 or 20 new acquisitions in the summer, it seems ridiculous even now but collectively I think you got the making of a promising team. Won't subscribe to the theory they need more time to click, it's near end of year now, what they need is a kick in the as* and enough motivation to realize their collective attributes.

Cook could never do that, could never hope to therefore it's imperative the new coach in takes the players aside and emphasizes to them that they are good enough and assists with praise and acknowledgments on arrival of victories and standout teamwork.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:43 am

rossi wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:41 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Bonne ……Pigott……Norwood

No way would those 3 be enough in defence. Norwood will never play for the first team again. Aluko is only a one half player. I do like 3-5-2 though…our midfield needs it. Bring in a strong CB in January…maybe use Aluko and Celina in either half. Not sure about Norwood’s replacement.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:46 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:43 am
rossi wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Bonne ……Pigott……Norwood

No way would those 3 be enough in defence. Norwood will never play for the first team again. Aluko is only a one half player. I do like 3-5-2 though…our midfield needs it. Bring in a strong CB in January…maybe use Aluko and Celina in either half. Not sure about Norwood’s replacement.
Really? I'm pretty confident he will play some part tomorrow, and may even start in place of Bonne.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:13 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:46 pm
number 9 wrote:
rossi wrote:

Really? I'm pretty confident he will play some part tomorrow, and may even start in place of Bonne.
Sure i posted a reply to this earlier but maybe i only did a preview!

Never say never 9!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ng-8552996

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:29 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:13 pm
rossi wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:46 pm
number 9 wrote:

Sure i posted a reply to this earlier but maybe i only did a preview!

Never say never 9!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ng-8552996
I’m very surprised, to be honest…but I’m okay with his return.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:20 pm

What’s intriguing for me is Norwood Twitter comments that Cook had his hands tied regarding him playing . Intimating that Ashton was instrumental in him being banished to the U23’s. Ashton then says in response, that the manager chooses his squad….McGreal comes in and suddenly Norwood is back training with the 1st team. So SOMETHING has been going on behind the scenes hasn’t it .

FWIW I think there’s every chance Norwood will play Saturday too.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:42 pm

I think the simple answer is its all a bit of a mess. That comment was initially made when we were scoring goals for fun. Now that the goals have dried up they see Norwood in a different light, a light that blinds them to the fact he's a scummy drink driving waster.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:43 am

Ricco wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:42 pm
I think the simple answer is its all a bit of a mess. That comment was initially made when we were scoring goals for fun. Now that the goals have dried up they see Norwood in a different light, a light that blinds them to the fact he's a scummy drink driving waster.
Now I don't know you at all, but I'm betting that you have not lived a pure blameless life, as nobody has. Bigot is a word that comes to mind here.

Point is, the man made a mistake - a mistake that hundreds of thousands have made - that doesn't necessarily make him or them scummy wasters.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:52 am

Gary, Norwood is a repeat offender that’s the problem…..he’s likely to kill someone one day.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:27 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:52 am
Gary, Norwood is a repeat offender that’s the problem…..he’s likely to kill someone one day.
^ This

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:13 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:43 am
Now I don't know you at all, but I'm betting that you have not lived a pure blameless life, as nobody has. Bigot is a word that comes to mind here.

Point is, the man made a mistake - a mistake that hundreds of thousands have made - that doesn't necessarily make him or them scummy wasters.
I think you have your wording mixed up, if I'm a bigot against drink drivers, then I'm very very happy to be a bigot. People make mistakes sure, but drink driving is a choice and no, I have never risked other people's lives with a choice like that. So if you meant hypocrite instead of bigot, then no, I am not that.

He has been caught multiple times a long way over the limit, and f he has been caught multiple times, then I bet he has done it many more times without being caught. This is not someone having a pint or two with their lunch and blowing slightly over, this is someone doing something unforgivable and if you think it's a 'mistake' and something condonable, then you're as bad as he.