League 1 - Wigan Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we get any points from this one?

Wigan Win
69%
Town Win
13%
Draw
19%

Total votes: 16

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Wigan Athletic vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Unbelievably we’ve just had a couple of chances to come away with all three points but for two decent blocks by Wigan defenders. That said we haven’t troubled them too much and should be happy with a point.

Concentration needed at the back as Wigan have a good record of scoring late goals.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:54 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:41 pm
Norwood has made a difference since coming on and certainly deserves to keep his place.

Well taken free kick by Lee Evans.
Norwood usually has a goal in him,just the 1 though,I'd drop Bonne for a while.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:54 pm

FT 1-1 it's a start.. norwood should start.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:55 pm

We’ve certainly looked better since Norwood equaliser which suggests so much about lack of confidence.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:56 pm

YEEEEESSSS

Well that was some bloody point given the turmoil at this Club …

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:56 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:54 pm
FT 1-1 it's a start.. norwood should start.
Brilliant, there’s still 2 minutes to go on ifollow. ☹️

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:02 pm

A good point but we were poor and I didn't think that Wigan played like a top team I can't see them going up on that form.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:03 pm

It's an encouraging score, we make the trip there and get a point from it. Really expected nothing from it and appears the players picked up second half and were value for a share of the game. Norwood getting a number of praise viewing different fan reaction, fair enough I castigated his other escapades but on the field at least showed today can be a valuable asset.

Good morale score to take into upcoming fixtures such as Barrow once again. Always the possibility McGreal could stay on as future manager but seems unlikely, this is just an interim position. Get further reaction and analysis when time permits it.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:04 pm

If Norwood can sort his life out off the pitch, Keep fit on it he's as good as most strikers in this league

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:11 pm

Mathie has said similar ( mostly about his he is in the pitch ), but it’s his personality and you’ll not change him now.

Ideally he should be paired with Pigott but I just don’t think Pigott had settled yet. And Bonne is well off the boil . So do you revert to Jackson: Norwood? I don’t know really

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:21 pm

Agree totally what you said about his personality. He fights for everything on the pitch, even when he's off song on the pitch he tries 100%

Like Bonne he isn't great at staying on side and he gives as many fouls as away as Bonne does but the ball sticks with him.

I think our main problem is the midfield though, Morsy apart really not sure. We are missing Burns big time, Edwards I just don't understand. He started season so well but right now he goes missing and maybe confidence issues, really don't know but right now he's hopeless. When all fit possibly go with Burns on right, Chaplin or Frazer playing long side Morsy but more forward option and Celina on left if playing 4 4 2

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:29 pm

A draw is a great result. It is such a pity that Norwood is a kn*b. Even though he is a goal scorer I just don't want him around our club.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:19 pm

Interesting post match interview by JM..

“ you can see the shackles starting to come off now ….. there’s a noise around the place and in the changing room now …..”

So was all not rosy behind the scenes at PR then ? Did PC’s players not believe in him anymore ? All really odd . So many odd comments coming out now from different sources at the Club, many contradictions between these comments too .

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:21 pm

I missed the game. How did Burgess do?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:01 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:21 pm
I missed the game. How did Burgess do?
He did pretty well especially in the air and for me enough to keep his place. Personally I would give him and Edmundson as extended run playing together to try to build a decent defensive partnership.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:10 am

May as well see out the season now with McGreal. There's very little else to play for other than obtaining a high a finish as possible. Allow him the rest of the season if only to see how it goes, we get a clearer indication of what he can put together.

More managerial names will be available in the summer, more options to pick from rather than rush a decision in the days ahead and possibly live to regret it. Not even the end of the year but already planning the start from next August. McGreal looks plausible as an interim coach but not in the capacity range of long-term.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:13 pm

Just listened to interview from Morsy and seemingly the Ref apologised at half time for their goal was offside. Just checked by highlights the guy who scored was on goal line so yes off side. Having said this, was more the assistants mistake.

Not sure whether their second goal was offside, looked very tight but angle of camera not best to see properly

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:18 pm

I think all in all we should be very happy with the point because in truth Wigan dominated the game for long periods and were by far the better side. Yes there were some positives for us but they were few and far between and the most promising was James Norwoods appearance and contribution which was more than enough to justify his selection. Hopefully he did enough to justify a place in the starting line up either midweek or next weekend, maybe both.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:40 pm

Generally how did we play yertersday?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:38 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:40 pm
I thought we were poor but looked much better when Aluko and Norwood came on, Burgess did well I think with Edmundson they will form a good partnership, Edwards was his normal self no end product and Bonne is just out of form, they are saying Walton might be recalled by Brighton that would be a huge blow.

Sorry Mike I'm not very good at expressing things in fact I was looking for your thoughts last night as I usually think your are spot on.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:40 pm
Hi Mike, have you ever watched the rerun of Ipswich's games on iFollow?

https://www.itfc.co.uk/matches/fixtures ... video=true

Watching the rerun we looked stronger but less creative of say few weeks ago

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:46 pm

More direct and organised?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Thanks for that guys, much appreciated, got myself admitted to hospital Friday and not doing so well atm, appreciate any feedback in upcoming games.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:07 pm
Thanks for that guys, much appreciated, got myself admitted to hospital Friday and not doing so well atm, appreciate any feedback in upcoming games.
Really hoping you get well soon Mike, wishing you all the very best

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:37 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:56 pm
I thought we were poor first half, no pressing and giving them too much time and space. Second to everything, Chaplin very lucky not to be sent off but the ref and linesman didnt see it.

Burgess had a good game, Walton looks quality and has eased into the role and looks confident, so if the recall rumours are true thats really going to affect us as Hladky even looked poor in comparison in the warm up in front of us.

Second half was an encouraging performance. Norwood and Aluko made a huge difference, got a sh*t view of the goal as it was down the other end. We looked to have fight and spirit in the second half compared to the first so whatever McGreal said at the break worked and he used his subs wisely. Theres still incidences of them running through our midfield, but second half you could really see all the boys were all really working hard and trying, so i cant complain at that at all.

Definite deserved the point, couldve stolen a winner but that would've been steal, but thats football sometimes. It was nice to see us actually trying to get a winner as the momentum was with us.

I heard no grumbles about the performance in the stands and we all stood and clapped the guys off the pitch.
Watching the rerun you could really hear the Town supporters. Take my hat off to you Blue and all the Town fans there

You're all credit to the club

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:07 pm
Hope you feel better soon mate.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:02 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
I thought we were poor first half, no pressing and giving them too much time and space. Second to everything, Chaplin very lucky not to be sent off but the ref and linesman didnt see it.

Burgess had a good game, Walton looks quality and has eased into the role and looks confident, so if the recall rumours are true thats really going to affect us as Hladky even looked poor in comparison in the warm up in front of us.

Second half was an encouraging performance. Norwood and Aluko made a huge difference, got a sh*t view of the goal as it was down the other end. We looked to have fight and spirit in the second half compared to the first so whatever McGreal said at the break worked and he used his subs wisely. Theres still incidences of them running through our midfield, but second half you could really see all the boys were all really working hard and trying, so i cant complain at that at all.

Definite deserved the point, couldve stolen a winner but that would've been steal, but thats football sometimes. It was nice to see us actually trying to get a winner as the momentum was with us.

I heard no grumbles about the performance in the stands and we all stood and clapped the guys off the pitch.
Thank you for that BB, always good to get a first hand account . I only managed 3/4’s of the first half b4 I lost ifollow connectivity… certainly only saw about 5 mins of second half and I didn’t even Norwood and Aluko had come on . But if my observation of Bonne and Pigott the ball didn’t stick to either of them dnd they looked too far apart most of the time . Totally ineffective .
For me Bonne has lost his touch for now , s common problem with strikers I know. Pigott is a conundrum. His form at Wimbledon was certainly no fluke , but I’ve not seen anything in his appearances for us yet that makes me think he’s going to settle here . Maybe if JM sticks with : up front but pair Pigott with Norwood we might see a different player ?

Mike: this is a get well message from me as you know I’m always there for you and Lynn if you need anything …. Even if I give a good impression of hopalong Cassidy right now . But he a good patient and do as the Drs tells you … hopefully you’ll be home by end of the week or sooner x

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:27 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:02 pm
BlueBalls wrote:

Thank you for that BB, always good to get a first hand account . I only managed 3/4’s of the first half b4 I lost ifollow connectivity… certainly only saw about 5 mins of second half and I didn’t even Norwood and Aluko had come on . But if my observation of Bonne and Pigott the ball didn’t stick to either of them dnd they looked too far apart most of the time . Totally ineffective .
For me Bonne has lost his touch for now , s common problem with strikers I know. Pigott is a conundrum. His form at Wimbledon was certainly no fluke , but I’ve not seen anything in his appearances for us yet that makes me think he’s going to settle here . Maybe if JM sticks with : up front but pair Pigott with Norwood we might see a different player ?

Mike: this is a get well message from me as you know I’m always there for you and Lynn if you need anything …. Even if I give a good impression of hopalong Cassidy right now . But he a good patient and do as the Drs tells you … hopefully you’ll be home by end of the week or sooner x
Thank you Liz much appreciated, and you other guys, no idea how long I'm here, just glad the MRI was clear. I work in this place but being a patient I bloody hate it.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:44 pm

All the best Mike hope you will soon be home and watching Town.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:05 pm

Cheers bud