McKenna confirmed

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

McKenna confirmed

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:13 pm

Manchester United first-team coach Kieran McKenna has been confirmed as the new manager of Ipswich Town.

The 35-year-old is joining the League One club on a three-and-a-half year contract as the permanent replacement for Paul Cook, although John McGreal has been in interim charge.

The Suffolk side are scheduled to face Sunderland at home on Saturday.

number 9

Re: McKenna confirmed

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 pm

No pressure at all Kieran! :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:20 pm

I expect this will address the poor coaching which seems to have been the problem so far.
I’m a bit concerned how well he will do on the manager side (man management, commanding respect of the players etc). Especially as this squad isn’t an overly young one as most players are in their ‘prime’ (age wise).

Let’s see though, and I suspect this ties in with the clubs desire to get in a head coach and have a recruitment team making the signings in the mould of many (successful) clubs who make good profit on players whilst still progressing. (Ie Brentford).

Of course we will get behind him, and I’ll be at the Lincoln game to see with my own eyes :)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:21 pm

I think this could be quite an exciting and refreshing change, I just hope I feel the same about it in a few weeks time. A big challenge for the guy who won’t have much experience coaching players at the skills level of our boys.

I wish him well.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:32 pm

Surprised about the length of contract but it obviously shows the board think he is the right man for the job.
Hopefully this time the appointment of a new manager will work out for us but there is no doubt he has a big task on his hands. Welcome to Portman Road Kieran.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:45 pm

As far as I'm concerned he is the new manager and will get my full support from the start. Its a bold move and, whether it works or not, at least it shows some vision and adventure. That is welcome and suggests my recent criticisms of decisions made may have been wrong headed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:58 pm

Yes I'm sure we'll all get behind him and give him every chance to succeed, after all he has taken as much a risk with us as we have with him, I wish him well.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:58 pm

I really quite excited by the potentiality of it all. Really want this to work. COYBs 💙👍🥂

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:28 pm

For a horrible moment I thought we'd appointed another Paul. :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:32 pm

Apparently, “Kieran” is Irish for Paul !

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:32 pm
Apparently, “Kieran” is Irish for Paul !
Nice try 😂

name Kieran is a boy’s name of Irish origin meaning “little dark one”, and popularity, and St, and the meaning of Kieran is “black”, ENGLISH: Kieran, His father gave most of his children Irish first names,

Hyper0blue

Post by Hyper0blue » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:11 am

Welcome to the club. I have a good feeling about this appointment :D

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:21 am

This could be inspired, this could be disastrous.

It's about as hard as first jobs come and I think a lot will depend on the first run of games. A young manager like that needs results even quicker in order to build confidence in himself and he'll need results even quicker in order for the players to respect him.

He's younger than Chambers and Skuse, the players are going to have to buy in to his experience and quick.

Of course we have seen some non-player (I realise he was a decent player pre injury) managers reach the top and perhaps it helps to dedicate your 20s, when your brain is young, to learn management skills.

First thought was what a crazy risk, but I guess we're not going up and I'd like to think we're safe, so maybe it's the time to risk something alternative?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:35 am

Going for experience in recent appointments has gone well so why not try something new, im warming to it and will give him my full backing, he could make himself a hero.

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:37 am

3 1/2 year contract sends a message of the clubs long term plan and investment. feels like a game changer appointment to me. We now have a modern head coach approach with Ashtons Recruitment team identifying players. I wish him all the best.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:52 am

Well no one saw that coming!

Personally I think it’s a really exciting appointment. I wonder if he has contacts from his time at Spurs and Man U to bring some serious talent our way on loan in January.

Anyway for now we need to be patient. Let him find his way and set the team up in his style.

Good luck and welcome Kieran!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:10 am

I wonder if Mike Phelan might follow ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:19 am

Here we go again. He’ll need a few leprechauns to help him turn this season around. If he fails though, it’ll be Ashton’s fault. :lol:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:18 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:19 am
Here we go again. He’ll need a few leprechauns to help him turn this season around. If he fails though, it’ll be Ashton’s fault. :lol:
Personally I don’t see this as ‘turn around’ go for broke appointment. It will take him a while to establish himself and his methods and they’re may be some bumps in the road.

We may not go up this year. I hope we do but, let’s face it, the odds are against it. This appointment is about building secure systems for the future not short-term gain. What would people prefer? To scrape into the play-offs under say Warnock, go up but then limp down again under a hastily appointed new manager or go up as champions next year with sound systems in place throughout the club?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:53 am

This is an exciting appointment out of (for me) left field. I'm delighted that the management have clearly done extensive research and gone for someone who fits the requirements that they have rather than making an 'easy' quick fix appointment.

Who knows how it will go but if the players can be convinced of the capability of the man and his assistant then these could be a very astute appointments.

Now let's hope that we don't have any more conversations about manager replacements for a couple of years.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:09 am

After reflection, at least it maybe shows the owners are going for a mid to long term approach. Can’t see this guy and his assistant jumping ship from Man U without some assurance of funding.

If we’re going to be coached better then it’s going to take time to see the benefits. Interesting to see how he deals with the match day decisions and the man management side.

Hopefully, expectation levels will be dampened short-term to give this guy time. How long before he gets the “ FFS just play two up front”?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:52 am

I am happy about it as I think it is a change of direction that we need right now. Who knows A these guys are starting out on their managerial path and could be the next great pairing in the game. Its a risk, yes but as others have said, we have tried the big names and the well known so called proven options to no avail. What I find most refreshing is that few people (even man utd fans) seem to know very much about them - other than they have a good pedigree at coaching level and at a very high standard of club. Few people - even the TWTD doom mongers seem willing (in the main) to give them a chance as frankly, they have never heard of them before so cannot cite previous issues. My fear (as I think we all feel) is that these idiots will come back out to criticise if we don't now go on a 10 match unbeaten run - but lets hope we all give them a chance and all our support. I am 100% behind them both. Lets hope the players respond as positively as we all have...

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:13 am

Sounds like we have the real deal in our youngest ever manager.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... na-8570526

Congratulations Ashton for pulling this one off. I apologise to you for misjudging you.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:44 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:18 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:19 am
Personally I don’t see this as ‘turn around’ go for broke appointment. It will take him a while to establish himself and his methods and they’re may be some bumps in the road.

We may not go up this year. I hope we do but, let’s face it, the odds are against it. This appointment is about building secure systems for the future not short-term gain. What would people prefer? To scrape into the play-offs under say Warnock, go up but then limp down again under a hastily appointed new manager or go up as champions next year with sound systems in place throughout the club?
I’m joking of course. I think he’s an excellent appointment and he’s worked with and learned from top managers and organizations. I like the comments I’ve read about him training for the specific opponent. It sounds like he has a plan B before the match even starts. Once our current squad read his CV, I don’t see any reason why they won’t give him their upmost respect.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:15 am

The more I read about this guy the more excited I feel about his appointment. I hope our players are feeling equally as excited at the prospect of being coached by such a talent as he appears to be.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:08 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:15 am
The more I read about this guy the more excited I feel about his appointment. I hope our players are feeling equally as excited at the prospect of being coached by such a talent as he appears to be.
This for me too, all the upheaval and unrest could be a blessing going forward

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:13 am
Sounds like we have the real deal in our youngest ever manager.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... na-8570526

Congratulations Ashton for pulling this one off. I apologise to you for misjudging you.
That is a very good read and he is clearly very highly thought of, I'm well pleased but we have to realise he needs this season to even start to make an impression, as Wilf says let's hope the idiots don't turn if we don't go on a Ten game winning run straight away.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:15 am
Agreed. I said a couple of days ago that I thought it more likely we would get in a rookie manager rather than some of the names being bandied about - I don't think rookies get much better than this and I think that fresh ideas and approach is precisely what is needed.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:29 pm

I can’t believe how much negativity there is on ITFC Fans Social Media over the appointment of Kieran McKenna. WTF is it with some of our fans not even being prepared to give him a chance. No wonder our fans have such a shocking reputation these days, p*ss poor and totally thick judging some of the comments. I just hope they stay away for a while and let the guy find his feet before they start hounding him out.

Does anyone know if he’s involved in team selection tomorrow or is this being left with John McGreal.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:31 pm

Not sure where that appointment came from or why the club took that direction. First reaction one of being underwhelmed but then you realize we were never going to, or hope to attract, any big name players or high-brow figures. Took time to read reaction from Red Cafe, Pink Un and TWTD forums, three different fan perspectives and opinion naturally mixed but the honest ones with good intentions suggest it's a good choice and wish it well.

It's a risk by the owners and would have preferred McGreal stayed on for a while longer if only to allow him the opportunity. Seems a bit rushed and they didn't give it another due time and consideration but with all any doubts out the way guess you got to allow McKenna the chance and look forward to seeing what he can put together. Wouldn't have been the #1 pick for many and while any disappointments can be understood the other side of the coin being there's a young name there that will have ideas on how to proceed at ITFC and want to to do it's best in bringing back some level of success and accomplishment to a club name that in recent years has fallen on hard times.