Kieran McKenna's 1st Transfer Window Rumour Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Kieran McKenna's 1st Transfer Window Rumour Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:33 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:25 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:59 am
Yep all good news so far and Matete would be a very good piece of business should it happen.
He looked very good against us but has very little experience but could be very good in time but if we are going for top 6 this season someone with more experience would be needed IMO.
That’s my feeling. Another lacking experience. Although he did look energetic against us and had a real good battle with Morsy. We’ll see what Ashton has up sleeve.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:27 pm

Whilst I’d love us to make that top 6 i personally feel that has almost gone now. So, I’d say build for next season, now!

Asht9n is doing a sterling job in the transfer marker again, ( Fraser fee reported to be more than we paid for him) and we look like we are clearing out deadwood ….if we went f9r the Fleetwood player , yes he’s inexperienced but a bloody good acquisition for next season in mind.

So currently out the door permanently are

Coulson
Fraser
Nolan
Holy
Kenlock. (loan but won’t come back )

Loans outward
Clements
Dobra
Ndaba
Harper

Loans in
Thompson
Bakinson

Possibles out on loan..I think if we loan out * we’ll get someone else in.
El Mizouni *

Simpson

Possibly further out the door ?

Pigott

So far that’s 9 players out the door ( not including the kids for development)
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:20 pm

Midfielder Scott Fraser’s move to Charlton has been confirmed, the 26-year-old having agreed a deal until the summer of 2025.

As reported earlier, TWTD understands the undisclosed fee agreed is larger than the sum the Blues paid for the Scot in the summer when he joined from MK Dons.

Fraser told the Addicks club site: “I’m looking forward to playing for Charlton. It’s a big club, an ambitious club and I’m happy to be part of it.

“I’ve spoken to the manager and to [director of recruiting] Steve Gallen – it is a club that has got the ambition to go and do well and that matches mine.”

Charlton boss Johnnie Jackson added: “I’m really happy we’ve been able to bring Scott to the club. He is a player that I have admired from afar for a while, he has such quality and will be an excellent fit in our system.”

Town turned down the Addicks’ initial offer for the 26-year-old at the end of last week before the South Londoners came in with a new bid over the weekend.

Swansea, managed by Fraser’s former MK manager Russell Martin, had repeatedly been linked with Fraser during January, but with the Welsh club never making any contact with the Blues.

Fraser made 18 starts and two sub appearances, scoring once, on his debut, in his short spell at Portman Road.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:52 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:27 pm
….. build for next season, now!
Hearing the exasperation with that last exclamation mark there, Hallam.

That’s 11 seasons in a row now that those words have been uttered on this site. Soul destroying.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:14 pm

Bailey Clements, Ben Morris and Matt Healy have each agreed to loan spells away from Portman Road.

We’re certainly having a busy day at ITFC.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:34 pm

Understand #itfc are unlikely to make any more signings before 11pm.

Jay Matete set for Sunderland, I hear, while Morgan Rogers heading for Huddersfield.

This is from Stuart Watson.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:43 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:34 pm
Understand #itfc are unlikely to make any more signings before 11pm.

Jay Matete set for Sunderland, I hear, while Morgan Rogers heading for Huddersfield.

This is from Stuart Watson.
Good, much prefer us to give KM the opportunity to assess the squad and then attempt to make the signings which he feels are required to strengthen the team in the summer.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 pm

Fair enough, I agree with Shed, this looks to be like finish best we can this season and if we manage the playoffs great, but looking for KM to make some summer signings ready to make a proper challenge next season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:51 pm

I think we’ve used this window to clear the decks of deadwood, return damaged goods , and give youngsters loan experience. All good IMO. That wash when the summer comes , and McK knows who he wants to add, there is space to do so and means Ashton hasn’t got to offload before he can sign targets , meaning we can get deals done quicker.

One thing I am puzzled by is why is sick note Coulson now able to play for Posh ? Or has McK just decided to dispense wit( him and go with this youngster ?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:23 pm

Harper gone on loan to Crewe until the end of season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:23 pm

Harper joins Crewe on loan…..

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... we-on-loan

Wonder if El Mizouni is going out on loan too?

…and wonder if that means we might still bring someone in ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:20 pm
Midfielder Scott Fraser’s move to Charlton has been confirmed, the 26-year-old having agreed a deal until the summer of 2025.

As reported earlier, TWTD understands the undisclosed fee agreed is larger than the sum the Blues paid for the Scot in the summer when he joined from MK Dons.

Fraser told the Addicks club site: “I’m looking forward to playing for Charlton. It’s a big club, an ambitious club and I’m happy to be part of it.

“I’ve spoken to the manager and to [director of recruiting] Steve Gallen – it is a club that has got the ambition to go and do well and that matches mine.”

Charlton boss Johnnie Jackson added: “I’m really happy we’ve been able to bring Scott to the club. He is a player that I have admired from afar for a while, he has such quality and will be an excellent fit in our system.”

Town turned down the Addicks’ initial offer for the 26-year-old at the end of last week before the South Londoners came in with a new bid over the weekend.

Swansea, managed by Fraser’s former MK manager Russell Martin, had repeatedly been linked with Fraser during January, but with the Welsh club never making any contact with the Blues.

Fraser made 18 starts and two sub appearances, scoring once, on his debut, in his short spell at Portman Road.
Good move for Fraser. Charlton looked a good outfit on Sky tonight vs Pompey. 2pts behind Town if they win game in hand !!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:25 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:20 pm

Good move for Fraser. Charlton looked a good outfit on Sky tonight vs Pompey. 2pts behind Town if they win game in hand !!!
That was a good result for us, much better than a Pompey win.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:16 am

hallamblue wrote:
Whilst I’d love us to make that top 6 i personally feel that has almost gone now. So, I’d say build for next season, now!

Asht9n is doing a sterling job in the transfer marker again, ( Fraser fee reported to be more than we paid for him) and we look like we are clearing out deadwood ….if we went f9r the Fleetwood player , yes he’s inexperienced but a bloody good acquisition for next season in mind.

Coulson
Fraser
Nolan
Holy

Loans outward
Clements
Dobra
Ndaba
Harper

Loans in
Thompson
Bakinson

El Mizouni *

Simpson

Pigott

Liz: Regarding Simson, I know that KM has admired Simson's games and improvement whilst at Swindon, 11 goals in 30 matches in league two is nothing to sniff at, that's bloody good value, and I think we will see a lot of the lad with the 1st team, for one at 19 he's one big b*stard and viewing his game videos of him playing up top for Swindon he ain't knocked off the ball easily and I think he could be a real asset if we play 2 upfront, it just might get Bonne scoring again, and Idris El Mizouni will also be a regular in team selection, If I was KM I would definitely play both against Gillingham and Doncaster, nothing to lose every thing to gain.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:38 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:16 am
hallamblue wrote:

Coulson
Fraser
Nolan
Holy

Loans outward
Clements
Dobra
Ndaba
Harper

Loans in
Thompson
Bakinson

El Mizouni *

Simpson

Pigott

Liz: Regarding Simson, I know that KM has admired Simson's games and improvement whilst at Swindon, 11 goals in 30 matches in league two is nothing to sniff at, that's bloody good value, and I think we will see a lot of the lad with the 1st team, for one at 19 he's one big b*stard and viewing his game videos of him playing up top for Swindon he ain't knocked off the ball easily and I think he could be a real asset if we play 2 upfront, it just might get Bonne scoring again, and Idris El Mizouni will also be a regular in team selection, If I was KM I would definitely play both against Gillingham and Doncaster, nothing to lose every thing to gain.
Well I certainly hope KM checks with you Ash before he makes any decisions… :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:33 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:38 am
ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:16 am
hallamblue wrote:

Coulson
Fraser
Nolan
Holy

Loans outward
Clements
Dobra
Ndaba
Harper

Loans in
Thompson
Bakinson

El Mizouni *

Simpson

Pigott

Liz: Regarding Simson, I know that KM has admired Simson's games and improvement whilst at Swindon, 11 goals in 30 matches in league two is nothing to sniff at, that's bloody good value, and I think we will see a lot of the lad with the 1st team, for one at 19 he's one big b*stard and viewing his game videos of him playing up top for Swindon he ain't knocked off the ball easily and I think he could be a real asset if we play 2 up front, it just might get Bonne scoring again, and Idris El Mizouni will also be a regular in team selection, If I was KM I would definitely play both against Gillingham and Doncaster, nothing to lose everything to gain.
Well, I certainly hope KM checks with you Ash before he makes any decisions… :lol:
And Bloody right as well :lol: :lol: and as I stated this league 2 footie is not too similar to League 1 very physical

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:39 am

I’m sure I read somewhere yesterday that Kieron McKenna has said he had nothing to do with Simpson being recalled from Swindon. It was a contractural matter solely and nothing to do with him.

That throws a different light on the situation and suggests he doesn’t have plans on using him in the first team.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:04 pm

I'm not sure we'll see Simpson in a Town shirt again tbh.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:19 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:39 am
I’m sure I read somewhere yesterday that Kieron McKenna has said he had nothing to do with Simpson being recalled from Swindon. It was a contractural matter solely and nothing to do with him.

That throws a different light on the situation and suggests he doesn’t have plans on using him in the first team.
He didn’t have anything to with it . It was “ a contractual issue “, so did me that says Mr Ashton!

And no Mike, I agree he probably now don’t sign any contract and will probably walk away from the club and we’ll get nothing . Well handled by the Club, not .

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:26 pm

Here's an interesting one:
Sunderland re-sign Defoe
The big League One story yesterday was arguably on Wearside, where 39-year-old former England striker Jermain Defoe returned to Sunderland.

He's recently left Rangers and has taken up a player-coach role back at the Stadium of Light, where he spent two-and-a-half years between 2015 and 2017.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:01 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:19 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:39 am

He didn’t have anything to with it . It was “ a contractual issue “, so did me that says Mr Ashton!

And no Mike, I agree he probably now don’t sign any contract and will probably walk away from the club and we’ll get nothing . Well handled by the Club, not .
Think after watching the Hertz trounce the Cabbage tonight, I'll put on Waynes World.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:12 pm

Good stuff, Marko! :lol:

Here's a decent review of Town's January transfers:

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/sport/ips ... ed-8657180

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:18 pm

Understand we made only three deals on the deadline that being Harper loan to Crewe, someone named Hayes, a free from Hemel Hempstead (WTF) and sale of Fraser to Charlton Athletic, price not known.

Harper seems no great loss, too bad if some think different. The middle deal seems bizarre if not total unnecessary and as for Fraser, another one that won't hurt to let go.

Seems hard to put all in's and out's since the summer into place, the transfer activity here has been frenzied to say the least. Best way forward just allow whoever we got on board for time remaining this season to accept there's a realistic chance of promotion and just go for it. Would like to think we're building for the weeks and months ahead until May other than just see how it goes and prepare for more "rebuilding and evaluation" in the summer when (another) opportunity has passed.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:01 am

saint jude wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:18 pm
Understand we made only three deals on the deadline that being Harper loan to Crewe, someone named Hayes, a free from Hemel Hempstead (WTF) and sale of Fraser to Charlton Athletic, price not known.

Harper seems no great loss, too bad if some think different. The middle deal seems bizarre if not total unnecessary and as for Fraser, another one that won't hurt to let go.

Seems hard to put all in's and out's since the summer into place, the transfer activity here has been frenzied to say the least. Best way forward just allow whoever we got on board for time remaining this season to accept there's a realistic chance of promotion and just go for it. Would like to think we're building for the weeks and months ahead until May other than just see how it goes and prepare for more "rebuilding and evaluation" in the summer when (another) opportunity has passed.
£500'000 SJ

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:12 am

We paid more than that for Fraser and sold for a profit by all accounts so it must be more than that Ash.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:07 pm

I just hope we don’t come to regret this move …..

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... er-8663180

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:40 pm

Thought a consortium of rich American dudes took over?
100% understand staying within the restraints of the “who the fk knows” FFP rules…….. but……. A free from Hemel Hempstead?

Jaysus H 🤦‍♂️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:31 pm

KM explaining Town's transfer window thinking.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ow-8664558

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:45 pm

Town boss Kieran McKenna says midfielder Scott Fraser, who moved on to Charlton on Monday, was desperate to leave Portman Road during the transfer window having not settled since joining from the MK Dons in the summer.

Fraser departed for the Addicks on Monday for an undisclosed fee understood to be in excess of the sum paid to the Dons in the summer.

Asked about how the deal came about, McKenna said: “I didn’t get the chance to see Scott live in a match or work with him for too long in a short period.

“That was one where Scott was desperate to go, to be honest, from early conversations with him.

“He felt like he hadn’t quite settled at the club how he wanted. He came in in the summer as part of a big recruitment drive and a lot of good players came in here in the summer, and he didn’t feel like he’d managed to settle from the football point of view or the personal point of view how he would have wanted.

“He was very keen and really had a strong desire to go and play somewhere where he felt he was going to be an automatic first choice and wanted to feel like he was the main man at a club.

“I had some discussions with him, obviously respected his opinion on that, and he was respectful and highly thought of here, was a player who I didn’t get to see very much.

“But it was one where it was more about Scott’s personal wishes and respecting the wishes of the player and his desire to go somewhere where he felt he was going to be an automatic starter and one of the biggest players at the club.

“Obviously for us, the group dynamic is very important to me, having the right numbers and the right depth and also having players here who really want to be part of the squad, who feel an affinity to where we want to go to and are ready to contribute to the squad whenever they’re needed is very important for us.

“We felt like that was the best move for everyone at that stage. A good offer came in from Charlton that was something Scott wanted to pursue. As a club we feel that we have good numbers and good depth in that position and that was how it progressed over the last few days.

“We wish Scott all the best, obviously we move forward here with the players that we have and we feel like we have good cover in that position and we can only wish Scott the best in his time at Charlton.”

That tidies up why he left, nothing sinister and not unwanted, just hadn't settled and wasn't the big fish he wants to be.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:45 pm

That tidies up why he left, nothing sinister and not unwanted, just hadn't settled and wasn't the big fish he wants to be.
Indeed. In a season where we had signed say 8 or 9 players, he possibly could have settled and even thrived. Always good to see the facts behind any news story and on this basis best for both club and player. Happy with that!