League 1 - Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will McKenna's second match in charge finish?

Gills Win
No votes
Town Win
100%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:59 pm

Great result today and I really like what McKenna is doing with his resources. I’m beginning to believe come the end of Feb we could be in the mix knocking on the door of a top six place. Yes this is premature and it is early days but I do think we’ve found a gem of a young manager who fits perfectly with what our new owners are trying to achieve.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:52 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:33 pm
Here’s the highlights

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... highlights
Just watched those highlights! Who was that team in white? Some of the movement was scintillating and left Gillingham completely bamboozled! Quite simply; WOW!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:54 am

Caught game highlights and while never provides the real story it did at times show us playing fluidly and with purpose. Norwood continues to poach goals and not sure when or if Bonne is leaving but good to see the latter be involved and provide for today.

We know the opposition are struggling and whether you accept it for an easy steal or simple victory or otherwise just prefer to admit the team went out and did what their salaries require of them. Don't view League standings all too often as truly feel it's too late this season to make it back to Championship status.

Saw somewhere Burton Albion scored four times at Barnsley in the F.A. Cup today - that's where we should be at - only trouble being the opposition scored five to eliminate them. Point being it went to extra time if correct and no need of a replay should scores be tied at 90 minutes. This didn't occur in the rounds we were involved in so guess it's only applies to Round Three and beyond. Competition's been a mess for some years now.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:43 am

Watched the game - absolutely superb, you can’t ask for more.

It’s early days so we need to not get to ahead of ourselves, let’s take it a game at a time as we have a lot of ground to make up and the true test for KM will be once the honeymoon period is over and how he keeps this big squad happy.

Delighted for now and it breeds some great confidence that we can hopefully put a good run together finally.

Certainly the best performance of the season in terms of the way we loved the ball - it was like watching a pep side!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:49 am

shabba wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:43 am

It’s early days so we need to not get to ahead of ourselves, let’s take it a game at a time as we have a lot of ground to make up and the true test for KM will be once the honeymoon period is over and how he keeps this big squad happy.

Delighted for now and it breeds some great confidence that we can hopefully put a good run together finally.

Certainly the best performance of the season in terms of the way we loved the ball - it was like watching a pep side!
Yes, it was great to watch. And no point in getting too excited - game at a time and not going to keep looking at the league table. If we get some kind of run the table will look after itself. There are some fans who say we need x points and x wins, but it puts too much pressure on us. Just good to enjoy the football.
I think the 3 at the back suits our squad. Edmundson keeps on looking better and better. Morsy playing higher works very well and Lee Evans looks a completely different player in the deeper role. Aluko is absolute class. Surprise package as pretty much everyone was underwhelmed by his signing. I just hope we don’t try and shoe-horn Celina in the team as they now look a functioning team who work hard off the ball.
And one of his problems is the squad size. There are decent players there who need minutes and they can’t even make the bench. Surprised to see Jackson on before Chaplin. Hopefully that is perhaps to put him in the shop window.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:59 am

On your last point Tang, I’m kinda thinking we could see 2-3 players out the door in this window tbh but if not now then definitely in the summer ( wherever we are in the divisions).

I think the absolute must this window is to try and secure Walton 🤞🤞

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:49 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:33 pm
Here’s the highlights

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... highlights
Not sure if these are the full highlights (as I can’t access these sky sports highlights due to location ) but there are also extended highlights (9 mins) on the EFL IFollow site and also full match replays. Not sure if you need to be signed up to iFollow to get access to all of these.
Some lovely team goals.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:28 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:49 am
I just hope we don’t try and shoe-horn Celina in the team as they now look a functioning team who work hard off the ball.
I didn't see this game, so making my comments purely on how this same formation was used in the Wycombe game. Obviously KM has stated it is not so much about formations, but whenever we play a 3-4-3, i cannot see where Celina would fit, possibly only in a game where Aluko is tiring. My reasoning is that players like Burns, Penney and Norwood chased back and covered any defensive gaps. Celina (and probably Edwards too) are not that type of player. I like Celina, but can only really see him coming on where a change of formation is required.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:33 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:49 am
shabba wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:43 am

Yes, it was great to watch. And no point in getting too excited - game at a time and not going to keep looking at the league table. If we get some kind of run the table will look after itself. There are some fans who say we need x points and x wins, but it puts too much pressure on us. Just good to enjoy the football.
I think the 3 at the back suits our squad. Edmundson keeps on looking better and better. Morsy playing higher works very well and Lee Evans looks a completely different player in the deeper role. Aluko is absolute class. Surprise package as pretty much everyone was underwhelmed by his signing. I just hope we don’t try and shoe-horn Celina in the team as they now look a functioning team who work hard off the ball.
And one of his problems is the squad size. There are decent players there who need minutes and they can’t even make the bench. Surprised to see Jackson on before Chaplin. Hopefully that is perhaps to put him in the shop window.
Spot on and exactly what McKenna was pointing out after the game yesterday. I still feel the odds are still very much against us making the top 6 as even if we do go on a run that at least one or 2 clubs above us may very well do the same.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:37 am

I think it’ll go to the wire . These top teams have to play each other . All we can do is what we currently are …. And pray!

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:12 pm

The best football I've seen us play for years and years.

KM has worked wonders with the squad thus far, and it looks as though he may be in for a very big future in management.
Remember, he has the same squad of players as did Mr Coq - yesterday simply highlighted the vast gulf in management ability between the 2.

If this continues (and even improves), I would not write off our chances of making the play-offs.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:31 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:12 pm

KM has worked wonders with the squad thus far, and it looks as though he may be in for a very big future in management.
Remember, he has the same squad of players as did Mr Coq - yesterday simply highlighted the vast gulf in management ability between the 2.

If this continues (and even improves), I would not write off our chances of making the play-offs.
McKenna has had a decent start but to write that really is a bit of a stretch. PC has been a success everywhere he managed pre Ipswich and his teams usually came good second half of the season. Its all players recruited by PC also. Lets see how McKenna does over a period of time before making big predictions about him.

All this coq and clown stuff about PC is just pathetic.

I also think Ipswich have a great chance of going up through the play off if they can get momentum going and keep improving. The squad is good enough and with a few more clever recruits in Jan should be even better

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:46 pm

That looked liked play off form to me,new manager has got them fired up,before he came they looked lost.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:49 pm

That is some pretty slick passing from Town. Haven't seen that for a very long time. Quality football returning to our club :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:52 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:49 am
Not sure if these are the full highlights (as I can’t access these sky sports highlights due to location ) but there are also extended highlights (9 mins) on the EFL IFollow site and also full match replays. Not sure if you need to be signed up to iFollow to get access to all of these.
Some lovely team goals.
Thanks for that, Tang. I didn't realize you could watch highlights for free. You just have to be registered.

Lovely touch and go football with much more pace and immediacy. Also, some precision passes into space with players running onto the ball. I love this type of football! Please let it continue.

COYB!!

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:13 pm

And now Evans has got the sack from the Gills😂

https://www.gillinghamfootballclub.com/ ... -09.01.22/

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:31 pm

It couldn’t have happened to a nicer bloke. 🤣🤣🤣

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:05 am

Great result. Hope McKenna has a strategy lined up for other opposition types who don’t try to press hard and man mark.

The strategy was clear, to suck them in to one of our rear quarters and then move the ball quickly and efficiently and safely to the opposite corner to attack.

It worked a treat as Gills over extended.

I’m sure better prepared teams will be on the watch out for the switch of play from one full back to the other.

Amazing to see some Liverpool signature moves from this squad of players.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:22 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:31 pm
rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:12 pm

McKenna has had a decent start but to write that really is a bit of a stretch. PC has been a success everywhere he managed pre Ipswich and his teams usually came good second half of the season. Its all players recruited by PC also. Lets see how McKenna does over a period of time before making big predictions about him.

All this coq and clown stuff about PC is just pathetic.

I also think Ipswich have a great chance of going up through the play off if they can get momentum going and keep improving. The squad is good enough and with a few more clever recruits in Jan should be even better
Talking about Coq and Clown, I think the most pathetic thing is people not willing to admit when they're wrong :wink: