League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 Wins in a row?

Bolton Win
7%
Ipswich Win
87%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

Tangfastic

Re: League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:01 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:54 pm
Im at the match and unfortunately normal service seems to have resumed.

We had good posession for the first 10mins but didnt make it count. Ever since we have been slow and second to the ball.

Two absolutely world class saves by Walton have kept us in this.

Penneys opposite number has the pace of him everytime. Evans set pieces really very poor and wasted.

Bonne and Norwood not in the game at all. The formation isnt working today and Im hoping Mckenna changes it for the second half.

Not sure if Burns is playing with a niggle but he doesnt seem his usual self.

I think we need some flair from Celina to make an impact.

Walton is an absolute hero, particularly his second save full-stretch horrizontal down to his left.

COYBS!!
Agree with that. Not the greatest Celina fan, but this could be just the game for him with one moment of magic.

We still can’t manage games very well and still get the feeling we think we’re better than we are leading to sloppiness.

All to play for.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:02 pm

Our back three resemble a sieve right now

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:11 pm

Great chance for Aluko to open the scoring.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 pm

Bolton not looking like a team having lost four games on the bounce.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 pm

Game over … what a f*ck up

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:37 pm

Looked like a keeper slip up to me but pretty poor defending by those in front of him who looked all at sea.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:40 pm

We certainly look more threatening with Celina running at their defence.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:40 pm

We have been slow compared to last week. Honeymoon over.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:41 pm

McKenna out ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:41 pm

What a f*ck up from Edmundson, that’s his second massive error this afternoon.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 pm

I started the transfer window saying we need a completely new defence and that remains the undoubted requirement...

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 pm

Another monumental f cuk by Town !

We’ve been lethargic, laid back , afraid to take opponents in 1 for 1 all bloody afternoon .

PATHETIC
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:41 pm
McKenna out ?
And Ashton.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:43 pm

This could be Bolton’s first double over us for 20 years.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:43 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:42 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:41 pm
McKenna out ?
And Ashton.
Absolutely

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:45 pm

Some of the comments on here are comical! :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:01 pm

We were very very poor today :

Passing backwards, sideways, backwards in a pedestrian fashion won’t win many games . We were SO lethargic with no one taking responsibility for taking the game forwards, and inject some bloody pace in it . Far too slow . Bolton just sat back and took a rest frankly !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:12 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:45 pm
Some of the comments on here are comical! :lol:
Are you surprised? I was expecting it at the first sign of a defeat.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:13 pm

We looked much more threatening after the changes esp Celina, who looked really sharp, however it was only after the changes we conceded.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:53 pm

Tbh the comments about other posters
“ comments on here” and “being comical“were not OTT, and are based on those people watching the actual game . Trust me we were very poor today ! Honestly not sure what we did in training this last week .

As someone else posted …

“Not enough created, lack of consistency, individual errors. Sound familiar?”

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... rt-8624136

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:07 pm

We were very poor today. The performance was a surprise given last week in particular. This is where McKenna will earn his corn.

The team has shone in games this season and then followed up with shambolic performances. In the end, that is what got Cook sacked. If McKenna gets the team playing at a consistently high level then he will have shown himself to be our best long term bet.

He has my wholehearted support. While I still think Cook's sacking was premature, I do think McKenna has more potential to bring us back to where we should be.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:40 pm

Here’s the “ highlights” for what they’re worth.

https://www.skysports.com/football/bolt ... own/448216

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:28 pm

Very disappointed with the result today after the performance last week. What went wrong? Passing was slow movement was ineffective. To many players today had off days. Evans so negative hardly passed forward Penny out played and fought by there right back Foley. Woolfenden and Edmondson looked suspect. Bonne was none existent Burns never took a full back on. Bad day at the office. Celina looked dangerous when he came on. KVY much better than Penny, Chaplin lively. All stats in Town's favour except the most important...Goals. Hopefully Mckenna will get into them and things will improve next week against Accrington.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:13 pm

Very disappointing result and performance. Bit of a reality check but up to McKenna now to prove his well touted ability ??
Play offs getting harder to reach by the week.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:43 am

I can’t think of any stand out performances for us this afternoon particularly from those in the starting line up. Meanwhile there were a few very poor performances in particularly in defence where there were one of two shockers in particular Edmundson and Penny that later who constantly lost possession often simply giving the ball to an opponent. I’m not sure what happened to Walton with the first goal, maybe he slipped, maybe he was wrong footed but I’ll forgive as without him we could have been thrashed.

I think Celina did enough to earn a place in the staring line up, it will be interesting to see if it happens, I’d also replace Penny with K.V-Y.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:13 am

I have a feeling that Ashton and Mckenna will be bringing in maybe a decent CB or 2 and getting Walton secured as a permanent Number one Keeper, also he has to get rid of this negative play that creeps back into our game every now and then, this has to be eradicated once and for all if we are to make a late surge up the table.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:16 am

Mckenna gave a completely level headed and accurate assessment of the game, while he didn't go over board after Two wins neither did he go all knee jerk after one defeat, I like this guy, he's gonna need thick skin however.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:42 am

I’ve just made a similar comment to that Mike on twtd. He’s indeed very level headed , and unflappable.

I made the observation that his team played yesterday very much in his mold, in that we appeared very laid back through most of the game .

Not sure I’m picking the right words to describe what I mean but, for me we looked like we didn’t have a care in the world (with our measured passing back and forth ) despite being a goal behind at that point. We lacked urgency IMO. Likewise, McKenna doesn’t show his true feelings I’m sure …. Even his comment that he was pleased with the performance ( I hope he’s not !) but being a professional he’s not hanging any player out to dry in public.

I would expect ( hope) that McKenna’s serene appearance belies his paddling like mad under the surface. Our team also presented like a swan , stroking the ball about calmly, when I’d have expected ( hoped) we’d be looking to play the ball more in and around Bolton’s box , than ours , and building up a real head of steam / pressure. The team appeared to take their managers calm , un and flustered approach to another level .

Anyway it’s a game we’ve lost and we move on . But we are fast approaching that Groundhog Day of , “ oh well , there’s always next season “!

Edit: If anyone should interested guys…. this is someone’s view of the game who was actually there yesterday.

“ Bolton dictated that game from about the 20 minute mark onwards. Both sides played pretty similar styles but Evatt has had 18 months to get his Bolton side working and McKenna’s had a month. The difference today was the intensity of Bolton’s play. Apart from that flurry of corners midway through the second half, we never looked like wresting control of the match from them. No-one played particularly badly, but only Woolfenden and Walton played to their A-game. Everyone else ranged from OK to anonymous. Even the fans were subdued, as though we were taken aback that Bolton’s ultras were next to us and unable to try and lift the team as a result.

The goal was coming, but like many I was looking to see how McKenna’s Ipswich would respond to adversity. What a shame Edmundson, who otherwise played well, had an immediate brain fart which effectively settled the match.

McKenna can be as experimental as he likes over these next 20 matches, because we won’t be making the top 6 (again). The moment there’s any sense of optimism or expectancy, this squad goes to pieces at the earliest possible opportunity.”

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:10 pm

They didn’t allow Burns an inch of space knowing that if they stopped Burns they cut out one of our best attacking threats.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:55 pm

We seem to possess a tendency to allow opposition teams a victory, who themselves, have endured a run of losing games. Yesterday, unfortunately, was yet another such scenario. Not sure why this occurs what seems often, maybe we go into clashes of this nature and assume before play we'll win, don't try as hard in the subsequent battle, and opponents take advantage of any complacency on our part and take a result from it.

Game highlights provide little but at least offer an opportunity to glean insight into focus points. One or two of our players. already mentioned so we don't need to reiterate the guilty, made certain errors that cost us but games are decided over 90 minutes not one or two points of contention. You can argue it maybe an unjust score given our seeming possession and chances ratio (to theirs) but understand after a promising start by ourselves Bolton slowly took hold while we faded and reverted to effort seen all too recent by ex-managers and players alone.

To encapsulate, a good many will accept we're not (that) of a high standard in this league and promotion can never really be feasible while performances and scores are too erratic to really provide hope of the latter. McKenna while only three games in, had to lose at some point or another, so at least that instance is out the way. Maybe provide a reality check for one or two without need of getting too far ahead of oneself.