League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 Wins in a row?

Bolton Win
7%
Ipswich Win
87%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

number 9

Re: League 1 - Bolton Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:16 am
Mckenna gave a completely level headed and accurate assessment of the game, while he didn't go over board after Two wins neither did he go all knee jerk after one defeat, I like this guy, he's gonna need thick skin however.
There's something about him that oozes confidence. I hope he's able to breed some consistency in the squad. Results in this league are so unpredictable...I'd say most of the teams are fairly even as far as talent is concerned, I'm sure some folks would disagree. Right now, I still believe KM is a good fit for ITFC.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:04 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:29 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:16 am
Mckenna gave a completely level headed and accurate assessment of the game, while he didn't go over board after Two wins neither did he go all knee jerk after one defeat, I like this guy, he's gonna need thick skin however.
There's something about him that oozes confidence. I hope he's able to breed some consistency in the squad. Results in this league are so unpredictable...I'd say most of the teams are fairly even as far as talent is concerned, I'm sure some folks would disagree. Right now, I still believe KM is a good fit for ITFC.
I think most Town fans won’t judge him too soon. It’s only the gobby minority. Yes, and I agree he’s calm and considerate and probably what we need right now. He doesn’t need to turn the club around demolition style. Cook tried that and - whilst results led to his downfall - he’s left a bloody good squad. It’s up to McKenna to work with and coach them better and coaching is his background, The game day on-the-touch line side he’ll have to learn, but not sure that screaming at players works.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:48 pm

You’re right , the players clearly respect him, as do the fans. It’ll be interesting to see how many of this squad makes it through to next season and who McK brings in. He’s already he said he had contacts a few of the big clubs and their academies , which makes me think it’ll be fairly young players sprinkled with a few old heads.

Old heads already in the building who I think will be here next season are

Bonne
Aluko
Burns
Norwood
Morsy

I’m not sure about some of the others .

What do others feel ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:15 pm

I don't think they'll be mass changes Hallam, but who knows. Maybe a tweak here and a tweak there, and we could come out with a more consistent squad...for next season.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:48 pm
You’re right , the players clearly respect him, as do the fans. It’ll be interesting to see how many of this squad makes it through to next season and who McK brings in. He’s already he said he had contacts a few of the big clubs and their academies , which makes me think it’ll be fairly young players sprinkled with a few old heads.

Old heads already in the building who I think will be here next season are

Bonne
Aluko
Burns
Norwood
Morsy

I’m not sure about some of the others .

What do others feel ?
He's been here few weeks so the respect thing really doesn't apply. Lets see where we are once McKenna has 6 months uner his belt. For me he's been a good coach but its a huge jump to manager. He ia bit of a gamble atm at a club where expectations are huge. Remember Steve Kean ??

I'm really hoping the guy is a success and gets Town back to where they belong.

For me its to early to say who will be around player wise. My gut feel is there won't be wholesale changes but 3 or 4 astute additions

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:00 am

If we win 2 out of every 3 cluster of games we'll make the play offs, we ain't gonna suddenly win every game.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:15 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:10 pm
They didn’t allow Burns an inch of space knowing that if they stopped Burns they cut out one of our best attacking threats.
They didn't give him any space at all it's true, but a good player would find space nonetheless. He didn't even try to run at any of their defenders either, rather pass sideways and backwards, but to be fair most of the team did that too.

Burns is a really good example of what's wrong with the whole team - brilliant on his day, but far too inconsistent. I'm glad I'm not a football manager, I'd have no idea of how to get consistency out of this squad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:39 am

One thing that hasn't really been mentioned, anyone else think their first goal was offside ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:39 am
One thing that hasn't really been mentioned, anyone else think their first goal was offside ?
No, he's onside when the ball is struck but then comes back of keeper. Goal was fine IMO

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm

Definitely a good yard onside unfortunately.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:28 am

Regarding the current squad…….. EVERY manager can’t always be to blame. Cookie had and has pedigree. Thats written in stone, (or wikipedia nowadays) he is a decent manager at this shitty level, ……. And Keiran McKenna has worked with football minds who’ve been at the very top, winning Champions Leagues whether as manager or player……. ———->>>

———>>> these players need to pull their f**king fingers out and start working hard on game day as a unit. Maybe even start realising that its Ipswich Town FC, a highly notable name in English football.