League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Accrington Stanley Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to winning ways?

Ipswich Win
67%
Stanley Win
17%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 12

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Accrington Stanley Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:07 pm

I thought we deserved the win over the 90 minutes, managed the second half really well. Bakinson had a good cameo, 3 wins from 4 under McKenna is good start. Celina, Chaplin and Woolfy the stand outs for me.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:07 pm
I thought we deserved the win over the 90 minutes, managed the second half really well. Bakinson had a good cameo, 3 wins from 4 under McKenna is good start. Celina, Chaplin and Woolfy the stand outs for me.
Are you warming to him?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:13 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:35 pm
Our B team doing well Chambers and Kenlock scoring😂
Judge & Sears with assists.

Think Lambert was possibly farting against thunder with that lot, (along with fighting against his own psychosis of hearing unasked questions in press conferences)......, but those guys were obviously not sh*te-ty League One level.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:17 pm

Some lovely passes from Celina today, I just wish he'd shoot more when he's around the penalty box.
Woolfy seems to be getting better and better. Well done!
KVY seemed a bit scatter-brain with his runs, I do like his pace though. He needs to be smarter with the pass.
Morsy pretty strong in the middle, decent distribution.
Burns did ok, he was always open on the wing. I'd like to see him surging down the line more and crossing, rather than stopping and back-passing.
Backinson looked assured on the ball.

All in all, a very good and needed win. We stuck it out, and AS are no mugs.

COYB!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I was just about to post about Celina….I think he showed very good work rate , and tracking back today. Keep that up and we will have a complete player maybe !

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:27 pm

Bakinson didn't set the game alight but better than Carroll. Celina,
Worked hard Edmondson looks shakey Burns needs to be more sensible when in good positions. 3pts up to 9th.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:56 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Are you warming to him?
I am always honest as I see it and if he plays well I will acknowledge it for sure.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:09 pm

Great day all round, well done the Town, onwards and upwards :D

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:37 pm

One helluva save by Walton when he pushed that effort on to the bar to stop us going 2 down. Thought we deserved the 3 points in the end against difficult opponents.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:03 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:37 pm
One helluva save by Walton when he pushed that effort on to the bar to stop us going 2 down. Thought we deserved the 3 points in the end against difficult opponents.
just noticed youve been on here a day longer than me Shed , lol

Shed on tour

goldandblack

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:23 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:03 pm
Shed on tour wrote:

Shed on tour

goldandblack

:lol: In those days I could stand at games no problem. Nowadays when I leave the ground I feel like I need one of those airport buggy’s just to get me back to the car!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:48 pm

Morsy to receive retrospective punishment for an apparent punch to the face of an AS player? ….mind you you they came here looking to make it a battle and fight, then get all precious when a Town player gives it back. Their players spent most of the game throwing themselves on the floor and trying to get the ref to “ do something “.

Knowing our luck Morsy will now get banned for several games. We never get away with anything.

From TWTd report .

“The Egyptian international and Hamilton clashed as what was a niggly game all afternoon approached the half-hour mark with the Stanley scorer going to ground holding his face but with referee Geoff Eltringham taking no action.

Afterwards Holt responded on Twitter referring to the Town midfielder as “a sh*t house”, while former referee Mark Halsey suggested Morsy could face retrospective action.”
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:49 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:23 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:03 pm
Shed on tour wrote:

Shed on tour

goldandblack

:lol: In those days I could stand at games no problem. Nowadays when I leave the ground I feel like I need one of those airport buggy’s just to get me back to the car!
LOL. Yeah me to Shed, , i can stand ok its the sitting in those low cramped seats that get me.
anyway they seem to be getting on ok without me, lol

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:49 pm

I missed the first 30 mins but from what I did see Celina was the stand out player with great pace, excellent vision and an ability to deliver defence splitting passes. I thought Woolfie looked solid again in defence and Christian Walton looks to be enjoying himself after making his position permanent.

Although he scored the opening goal Wes Burns looked a little clumsy in front of goal and Bonne again looks far from at his best.

Overall a good result for us which was well deserved and hard earned. Only Edmundson looked to be struggling which is concern given his seniority within the squad.

Another disappointment was the standard of referring which I thought was pretty poor and got worse as the game went on. Not an easy job I know but this guy really didn’t look in control.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:15 am

A deserved win in the end and a scrappy game - how many headers?? - but we came through. Celina and Chaplin were great. If Celina plays like that and can be a bit more physical, that would be ideal and he would then be worth a starting place every week. Carroll was lightweight and still goes backwards most of the time - I havn't seen him have a good game for us yet. I thought putting Norwood on at the end was great - love him or hate him, when you need someone to come on and wind up the opposition, he is the man.

Other than that, Morsy was good but again, he needs to start to shoot or at least be a goal threat. He is capable but seems to shy away from it when in good positions.

Walton is great - at last a keeper I feel confident with!

Finally, I keep saying it but... we need a defence... our left/right backs are average, edmundson is the best defender we have but has a mistake in him and woolfy looked better yesterday but we still allowed them to run at us in numbers and had little to prevent that threat. For me, they could be OK if we had one more really solid central defender and a better option at left back (so KVY and Donacien can fight for the RB position). Its still January so there is hope but without signings in those two areas, we are still in for some worrying moments I fear! Still - onwards we go!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:06 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:15 am
A deserved win in the end and a scrappy game - how many headers?? ....
I must admit there was a time in the second half when I thought they were playing beach footie trying to keep the ball in the air, I think with something like 7 continuous headers back and forth. 🤣🤣. You certainly wouldn’t see it in the Premier League but then I think we all know we’re still a long way from that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:31 am

McKenna’s comment post match was on the money really ( when isn’t he lol)… he said “AS played for set pieces and were good at what they do” .

Let’s face it most if their players were well over 6ft so they played to their strengths - height and ball in the air. They made the game a battle field - they’re an archetypal League One side. It wasn’t our game strategy that had the ball in the air, it was theirs! But …

This is the first time I can ever recall a Town side dealing with that “ war” ….

I think when we finally get promoted back to the championship we’ll see our footballing strengths really shine ( accepting that we shall also invest in some better additions alone the way ).

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Good 3 points. Home form is decent, need to start picking point/points up away from home on a regular basis and close top six gap