League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the playoff push going?

Owls Win
22%
Town Win
28%
Draw
50%

Total votes: 18

ashfordblue

Re: League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:05 pm

Still say we need a clear out BM as you have stated Carroll, Edmundson, are real weak links, I'm not overly happy with our front men either, as far as I'm concerned Jackson, Norwood, haven't really set the world alight, and Bonne needs some serious training, his mind and awareness part of his game is sh*t and needs some real treatment, look how many times he's offside :x do we not have anyone at the training ground that solely concentrates on the strikers ??? also we need another quality CB/ captain, Morsy is a liability and his temperament needs to be energized in the right direction and be in control of his aggression, defencewise we are good, but we could be a lot better, and if we are to make any serious inroads with a promotion push this or next season that defense needs to be tighter than a ducks arse, and I would have thought McKenna would have sorted a new CB in this window, we still need to release at least around 6 or more players for the complete rebuild into a championship team.

And if we cant beat Gillingham and Doncaster convincingly then we have a real problem FACT

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:22 pm

What has Bonne done recently? One goal is it in 16 games or somewher near that.

As someone on the radio said this afternoon, it it were not for his Ipswich childhood etc the fans would be calling for his head. Something worth thinking about.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:15 pm

Re: Edmundson………. I remember a few on here saying, “we need Edmundson in the team”……. and i thought, “no, ipswich DO NOT need Edmundson in the team.”
But, kept my trap shut.
Very few games for The Sevco and a few pals did say he was utter pap.
Which has come to fruition at PR.
Get him out before the window closes. Was never a good signing.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:25 pm

Haven't seen highlghts as yet but plan to soon enough. Took in some post-game rection from TWTD and other associated items and general consensus being we didn't really deserve much from it. Few or no shots on target over the 90 minutes is poor, ineffective, not good enough, however you wish to view it.

11 wins in near 30 games thus far tells it's own tale. We brought in a sh*t load of new players and of course Lambert left a mess of sorts to clear up but all told, somehow don't think these collective individuals are really quite good enough. Can see a number of names moved on next summer if and when promotion doesn't occur. Not in the capacity as coming in but there'll be a good number deemed surplus for the time thereafter.

chance was there to win again, another three points to add to already recent progress, however players didn't or couldn't raise their game sufficiently and many won't find too much dispute as them as winners. McKenna had done well, very well, since coming in but we've rode our luck at times and reality is some or many will accept we're simply of League One standard now and for the immediate time ahead. Bolton and Oxford scores aroused some considerable interest also it's got to be said.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:26 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:15 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:25 pm

Like Sunderland losing 6-0 at Bolton today, Wycombe losing at home to MK Dons or even Wigan dropping 2 points at Cheltenham today. There’s a long way to go with lots of twists and turns along the way.

Six points from our next two games and it will all look on again.
I love your optimism and, normally, I would share it. But let's be realistic.

Sunderland certainly had a bad day, but they lost no ground on us. They would have to drop 13 more points than us for us to catch them. How likely is that in the remaing games?

Both Wycombe and MK Dons are in the top six so one of them was bound to drop points today. Mk Dons extended their points difference over us by three points and Wycombe lost no ground on us. They would have to drop 11 points more than us in the remaining games.

Wigan extended their lead by a point, are 14 points ahead and have 4 games in hand. Good luck with that!

Rotherham? 15 points with 2 games in hand.

Oxford? 8 points with a game in hand. We have an outside chance of catching them. Maybe. The problem there is that they seem to be improving in form.

Then, between us and 6th, we also have Plymouth with 6 points over us and a game in hand. Wednesday with 2 points and two games in hand.

Even Portsmouth, who are 3 points behind us have three games in hand.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I just can't see it this far into the campaign. I would live to be wrong.

McKenna is the best manager we could wish for right now and I think we will go from strength to strength with him. Even so, I am resigned to waiting until next season for us to go up.

I was only answering your question about teams falling away and based on previous seasons at least one maybe two of the current top six are likely to fall away and not be in the play offs come the end of the season. Likewise it’s not unusual for one or more sides to come out of the chasing pack to fill the vacant slots. This time last season after 28 games Doncaster Rovers and Portsmouth were sitting comfortably in 4th & 5th place but they fell away and finished 8th & 14th, meanwhile Oxford sitting in a similar position to where Town are now and Blackpool in 13th place (behind us at the time) finished 3rd.
You don’t have to love my optimism MF, you just have to look at the past to see how quickly fortunes can change in this league and even after today’s performance we are still one of the better form teams in this league and there is absolutely no reason why we can’t fill one of the 3rd 4th 5th or 6th play off place this season. If we don’t, somebody else will, it happens every season.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:53 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:26 am
I was only answering your question about teams falling away and based on previous seasons at least one maybe two of the current top six are likely to fall away and not be in the play offs come the end of the season. Likewise it’s not unusual for one or more sides to come out of the chasing pack to fill the vacant slots. This time last season after 28 games Doncaster Rovers and Portsmouth were sitting comfortably in 4th & 5th place but they fell away and finished 8th & 14th, meanwhile Oxford sitting in a similar position to where Town are now and Blackpool in 13th place (behind us at the time) finished 3rd.
You don’t have to love my optimism MF, you just have to look at the past to see how quickly fortunes can change in this league and even after today’s performance we are still one of the better form teams in this league and there is absolutely no reason why we can’t fill one of the 3rd 4th 5th or 6th play off place this season. If we don’t, somebody else will, it happens every season.
Our recent form has improved but is no better than the recent form of virtually everyone above us. For me, the gap is too big to close in 17 matches. I hope I'm wrong and I hope you're right. I always enjoy, and usually agree with, your thoughts.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:28 am

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:22 pm

As someone on the radio said this afternoon, it it were not for his Ipswich childhood etc the fans would be calling for his head. Something worth thinking about.
I think Pigott should start the next two games with two up front against Gillingham and Doncaster and hopefully score a couple of goals and boost his confidence.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:03 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:28 am
barmy billy wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:22 pm

I think Pigott should start the next two games with two up front against Gillingham and Doncaster and hopefully score a couple of goals and boost his confidence.
It’s time Bonne was rested. But I can’t see Pigott playing alone up front. Maybe with Norwood.

Yesterday felt like a Lambert team. So much possession and no shots on target. Sheff Wed did a good job on us. Slowed us down and were content to get behind the ball and wait for the mistake. Absolute no pace in our game. I think there were times we needed to be more braver and break tackles and create space, but we were more content going sideways and backwards. I think we’d be better off using Sheff Wed’s tactics of absorbing pressure and breaking.

Early days, but I can’t see what Bakinson brings. He just looks similar to Harper. Looks tall and strong, but he doesn’t offer much in the tackle. El Mizouni started the second half well and I would have taken Bakinson off. If we’re so reliant on someone like Morsy that’s not a good sign.

We were lucky to lose that 1-0. Could easily have been 4-5 nil.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:14 am

They played a formation which was basically a V so they “ gave” us all that space to pitta patta the ball around in …. But there was also space in each of the flanks on the outside of that V which all we needed to do ( and finally stated too in the second half), was to hit an EARLY long pass into for Burns snd Thomas to run onto .

We played with 1 up front ( if Chaplin and Celina were meant to create a 3 it didn’t work), and suspect because of Wednesday’s V line up that was because we were outnumbered.

McKenna was out thought tactically yesterday . We also made 5 changes . I get the need in part to cover for injuries and suspensions . But that starting from three didn’t work at Wimbledon so why play it against better opposition? 🤷‍♀️

Sometimes continuity by not making changes is the better way forward .

I can remember Keane constantly changing our team for every game . We are NOT Man Utd , and a squad rotation doesn’t work ( as Lambert found out). The players aren’t good enough in depth. Pick your best / strongest team and stick with it !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:02 am

He lost possession again, when not under any particular pressure….. however McKenna did allude to the team not doing what they should do when we lose possession. But how far do you track back, when you’re up the other end of the pitch waiting for the forward ball, ( Burns)?

My view is yesterday , we should have been getting the ball forward into their half, much , much earlier, instead of slow build up of pitta patta football in our half , inviting them onto us. It was asking for trouble. Edmundson is not as comfortable on the ball as Woolfie is. But they are defenders first and foremost and this is League One , not bloody Champions League.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:26 pm
You could well be right MF and I will be looking forward to next season with great optimism should it prove to be beyond us this season, I think the top Four is gone, a few teams are fighting for Two places and yes we are big underdogs but win most of our games and we'll do it, its in our hands. Sadly as someone said earlier our season was hashed up in the first 6-8 games this season when Cook and co made a total balls of it.
Spot on. Let's be honest, when KM took over it was already looking unlikely that we could make the play-offs and as each week passes it is looking less and less possible (although by no means impossible). As somebody else said, that is no fault of KM.

What makes me laugh is when I read comments such as....
"I'm resigned to the fact that we won't go up till next season"
"We'll win the league by 10 points next season"

Clearly ridiculous comments, as nobody can have any idea on which teams will make up league 1 next season or how strong they will be.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:04 pm

Ipswich fans were quick to criticise on-loan Tyreeq Bakinson who joined from Bristol City earlier this month.
The 24-year-old featured 34 times for City last campaign and Town fans thought bringing him in on loan seemed to be a good piece of business.
However the midfielder is yet to impress the Town fans and was on the end of some stick after today’s game.
Didn’t deserve anything from that game. Bakinson is extremely uninspiring, without Morsy and Evans our CM is toothless. McKenna deserves some flack today, poor substitutions and no idea what our system was at the end. Burns looked like he was running on fumes today. #itfc
Full time thoughts:
- Really depressing defeat, offered little in attack with 0 shots on target and lucky to only lose by 1
- Bakinson was very poor in the 2nd half, don't see much difference between him and Harper
- Loads of possesion is useless with no end product
Some truly awful performances there. Bakinson, Celina, Chaplin and Edmondson all really poor. Walton and Woolfenden only players coming away with any credit #itfc

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:19 pm

^^^ thats quite depressing ^^^

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:31 pm

I don’t want to write of Bakinson, but I still find his signing a bit weird and unnecessary. It’s obvious we’ve got loads of midfielders, but we lack someone else like Morsy. Someone who can put their foot in ( and the odd fist/jab/hand-off) and drive us forward. This lad doesn’t show that. BC supporters describe him as languid and someone who pick a pass and I wouldn’t disagree.

Bit unfair on the lad, but doesn’t feel like we’ve signed someone to fill a gaping hole, but more like stock-piling another midfielder who’s technically good, but lacks physicality. Early days, I know.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:43 pm

I’m definitely no fan of Bakinson and not really sure what he brings to the party. He has loads of touches but treats the ball like a hot potato and passes it immediately he receives it to the player closest to him in an effort not to get caught in possession and more often than not either gives the ball away or puts the receiving player under pressure. He rarely seems to create space or delivers a defence splitting pass, Maybe I’m being harsh but I think he’s quite ordinary and an unnecessary addition to the squad.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:21 pm

I will buck the trend, I like the look of Bakinson and think he will prove to be a decent addition, our Midfield was outnumbered and overrun yesterday but still I thought he did a lot of good things

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:04 am

I think both of these young signings are for next season of beyond … they clearly don’t have the physicality to deal with league one. It’s almost like we’ve re signed a Dozzell type of player …