Town's playoff hopes

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

mendipblue

Re: Town's playoff hopes

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:22 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:42 pm
Gillingham H..3pts...... correct
Doncaster A...3pts
Mk Don's A..1pt
Burton H...3pts
Cheltenham H...3pts
Morecambe A...3pts
Fleetwood A...3pts
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats
41pts. To gives us a total of 82pts Dream still alive :wink:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:13 am

You mean the drugs are still working?!!

It's certainly still possible, the bookies give us about a 1 in 5 chance of making the playoffs.

McKenna has won 5 of 7 league games, at 2.14 pts per game, a huuuuge ask, but if that rate continued, then Town would finish on 78 pts, which was enough for 4th last year. However I'm not sure that would even sneak in to 6th this year. At current rates, 5th and 6th placed Wycombe would finish on 82 pts and Oxford would finish on 81 pts. Perspective shows over Robson's term Town averaged the equivalent of 1.59 pts per game, so it's pretty heady stuff.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:39 am

From previous seasons we also know that at least one, maybe two of the current Top 6 teams won’t still be there come the end of the season. One of the teams from the following places will almost certainly get into the play offs and another often comes from nowhere as did Blackpool last season. Will one of those teams be Town ?... given Saturdays performance it’s highly unlikely, but if McKenna can continue getting the team to win 5 from 7 ongoing even when they play badly then it’s highly probable.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:15 am

Think it shows how tough it is going to be when even though we have won 5 out of the last 7 we still are 8 points off 6th place Wycombe who have a game in hand. As has already been said it certainly looks like to get into top 6 this year the points total required is going to be higher than on previous seasons.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:38 pm

The killer game was losing to SWFC … it’d be 5 pts now and these top 6 sides still to play each other … we never win when it really matters

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:51 pm

There will be a helluva lot of reliance on others. Like Pompey holding a 2-1 lead with 8 mins to go.

Either that…….. or play more like Oxford. Who scored two goals to win with 8 mins to go.

Feb 7th…… official “state the obvious” day.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:47 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:22 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Doncaster A...3pts...... correct
Mk Don's A..1pt
Burton H...3pts
Cheltenham H...3pts
Morecambe A...3pts
Fleetwood A...3pts
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:54 pm

Still on course lol

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:40 am

Can't do any more ;-)

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:57 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:47 pm
mendipblue wrote:
mendipblue wrote:
Doncaster A...3pts...... correct
Mk Don's A..1pt........... correct
Burton H...3pts............ correct
Cheltenham H...3pts
Morecambe A...3pts
Fleetwood A...3pts
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats
Last edited by mendipblue on Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:55 pm

Looking good Mendip 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:48 pm

... just hope he gets the next 5 correct too. 👍👌🤞

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:08 am

Starting to get impressed , Mendip. Keep it going, boyo!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:54 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:57 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:47 pm
mendipblue wrote:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:56 pm

Still on course, not looking as daft as some probably thought

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:56 pm

mendipblue wrote:
mendipblue wrote:
Doncaster A...3pts..... correct
Mk Don's A..1pt........... correct
Burton H...3pts............ correct
Cheltenham H...3pts...wrong 1pt
Morecambe A...3pts
Fleetwood A...3pts
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats
Last edited by mendipblue on Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:41 pm

What’s encouraging now is we are 4-5 points off a bunch of teams - so no longer perhaps just chasing one team in sixth.

We need to get into the best position we can ahead of the games against the teams above us - as they will be real tests and harder to keep the 2 wins in every 3 form up.

Still a game at a time but momentum is good whilst Sunderland Wycombe are faltering.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:48 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:32 pm
I think you'll come unstuck with the Lincoln game.
:shock: we will see.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:56 pm

The next 7 days look very challenging for both Wycombe and Sunderland. Midweek Sunderland host Burton who we all know are a very useful outfit and given The Black Cats current form they will probable struggle and next weekend they travel to 2nd place Wigan.

Wycombe also face a difficult week playing hosts to Wigan on Tuesday before travelling to strong home performers Accrington on Saturday. On the same day Plymouth face table topping Rotherham which means IF & only IF we can win our next two games v Cheltenham at Portman Road on Tuesday and at Morecambe on Saturday, the Play Off dream could be another step closer.

However as we all know this league is very unpredictable.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:10 pm

I think the top 10 sides will ( naturally), all drop points at some point between now and the end of the season. It’s who does it the least that will make those PO’s . Sounds obvious really doesn’t it. But some teams are in form, running into for, or desperately trying to hang on to their form but starting to see it slip away.

In form : Town, Bolton, Oxford, Sheff Weds

Losing form, Sunderland, Wycombe

So the big question is then……

Better to be chasing the play off pack …….or trying to hang on to your place in the PO’s?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:29 am

I think you’ll find I’ve always said only 4 of the Top 6 at the end of the year are likely to be Top 6 cone the end of the season. For that reason alone I’m happy to be in the chasing pack particularly when you consider any team coming from behind are most likely the form teams come the play offs. Much better motivation than being in the automatic places and dropping down to 3rd/ 4th when it comes to the play offs.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:33 am

When we get to the middle of next month when we play Oxford should give us a clearer picture of our chances.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:09 am

I posted in the Burton thread on the possible ‘mini-league’ of 7 with Oxford at the top and Bolton at the bottom. There are three play off places to be had and we will need to grab a decent amount of points (the mendip prediction looks good!) but we also need at least three sides to drop points.

I can’t see Oxford slipping, they’ve been pretty solid all season.

Sunderland and Wycombe are definitely vulnerable for a collapse.

We have points advantage over Bolton.

Might come down to 2 from 3 with ourselves, Plymouth and Wednesday.

The two games at the end of March, away to Oxford and home to Plymouth could make or mar us.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:55 am

It’s going to come down to that very difficult list of mini fixtures in March when we face those to0 sides . Win those , we’re in the play offs !

But I think the two clubs above us that are struggling and may well drop out of that top six. Are Wycombe and Sunderland.
Bolton and us are par for par as far as form Is concerned right now. Whilst Oxford, and Sheffield We’d appear to be on form
( forgetting the top two who are of no interest to us).

I think clubs like Cheltenham and Burton can have an impact on who ends up in that top six as they are a very difficult sides to play against and they will take scalps. We just need Bolton to drop a game ( preferably 2), and it’d see us competing with Sunderland, and Wycombe and Sheff weds for those last 2slots I think.

I think Tuesdays game will be like the Burton one…. We need t9 defend REALLY well against an on slaught of balls into the box and big hairy arsed opponents.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:53 am

I think I would add Portsmouth to that mini league. They have 3 games in hand over us and 7 points behind!

Their issue could be a fixture pile up, especially with their game called off yesterday! Regardless of whether they can break into the top 6, they will have a very big say on who does finish there! Their March fixtures put them up against 5 of those 7 teams in the mini league (including us), they finish their campaign against the Owls to make it 6 of those current 7 teams!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:38 pm

I’d always rather have points in the bag than games in hand which bring added pressures on the teams that have them.

I think our current position boils down to the fact that the optimists among us see every opportunity to make the play offs whilst the negatives have had our chances written off for weeks if not months.

In truth none of us really know, but for me whilst it remains a possibility the season will be far more enjoyable.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:57 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:38 pm

In truth none of us really know, but for me whilst it remains a possibility the season will be far more enjoyable.
It is far more interesting to be in with some sort of a shout of making the play offs, even if we eventually miss out! This is what makes football so exciting, it's the dreams, the hope, the chances, things which Ipswich fans have not really experienced for a very long while!

Looking at some of the last day fixtures, there are a lot of the teams around us who will be playing teams who could well have undecided fates, be it playoffs or relegation! If we are still in the hunt, a game against Charlton who look as though they will be on their summer holidays by then, could be favourable!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:56 pm

And what was it Fraser said, happy to be joining a big and ambitious club like Charlton who have a vision for the future, or some bullshit like that lol.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:26 pm

He wasn’t anywhere in their squad yesterday …..and Dozzell was on the bench again I noted. Only Downes is playing regularly …

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:16 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:57 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:38 pm

It is far more interesting to be in with some sort of a shout of making the play offs, even if we eventually miss out! This is what makes football so exciting, it's the dreams, the hope, the chances, things which Ipswich fans have not really experienced for a very long while!

Looking at some of the last day fixtures, there are a lot of the teams around us who will be playing teams who could well have undecided fates, be it playoffs or relegation! If we are still in the hunt, a game against Charlton who look as though they will be on their summer holidays by then, could be favourable!

We’ll worry about it when it happens but there are risks playing a team with nothing to play for as they can play care free and adventurous football.

As I know to my cost Charlton have become a bit of a bogey team for Town since we dropped to League One, I know because my Son In Law is an avid Addicks fan and we have a friendly bet on every game, I haven’t won since 2015 ! Since the dreaded drop to L1 we’ve met 3 times, 2 defeats for us both 2-0 and a 0-0 draw. I think 2015 is the last time we even scored against them let alone won.

I’ve also just realised that I’ll be with my Son In Law in Los Angeles on the last day of the season so we’ll be watching this game together, that will be interesting and hopefully not embarrassing. Holy sh*t it will also be a 4.30 am kick off !

I’ve also just worked out that I’ll be in LA for our final 4 games all with ridiculous kick off times, that really was bad planning. Clearly footie wasn’t on our radar when we made our travel plans but we’ve not seen this daughter & family for more than two years including our 18 months grandson. I guess sometimes footie becomes secondary and this is when ifollow comes into its own, let’s hope the games all stream well 5500 miles away.

Just checked the Play Off Final date ; Saturday 21 May 2022. At least I’ll be back for that. 🤞🤞🤞

In the meantime there’s a lot of footie to be played with lots of twists and turns along the way, let’s all enjoy it whilst the dream is still alive.