Town's playoff hopes

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: Town's playoff hopes

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:53 pm

I just want us to go to a play-off contender and beat them. Even if we fall short of the play-offs.

To win 6 or 7 of our final matches is too much, but let’s get a couple of big scalps along the way. No need to outline the improvement under McK, but this is something we need to do for next season in mind. If we want to be genuine top two contenders next season, then this group of players have to dig out some wins against top six contenders. Only Wycombe we’ve beaten above us so this is a monkey we need to get off our backs.

And even if our hopes are extinguished over the weekend- play the best team every game afterwards. Finish the season as best as possible with an eye to next season. Not this ‘let’s play the kids’. We’ve done that before and it never has got us anywhere.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:02 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:53 pm
I just want us to go to a play-off contender and beat them. Even if we fall short of the play-offs.

To win 6 or 7 of our final matches is too much, but let’s get a couple of big scalps along the way. No need to outline the improvement under McK, but this is something we need to do for next season in mind. If we want to be genuine top two contenders next season, then this group of players have to dig out some wins against top six contenders. Only Wycombe we’ve beaten above us so this is a monkey we need to get off our backs.

And even if our hopes are extinguished over the weekend- play the best team every game afterwards. Finish the season as best as possible with an eye to next season. Not this ‘let’s play the kids’. We’ve done that before and it never has got us anywhere.
100% Agree

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:24 pm

82 pts still achievable :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:59 pm

That would be enough.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:24 pm

If we can win 5 of or last 6 games we will be there or thereabouts 6th place but maybe still not quite enough.

If you look at the teams currently 5th - 9th it looks like a bunch of clubs may well end the season clustered around the 79/80 point mark which looks to be the target to scrapie the final play off place.

So many of the teams still have to play each other Inc us still having Wigan and Rotherham to play.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:37 am

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:02 pm

Whole thing a very good read with hopefully accurate stats.

And extremely noteworthy if reading the entire thing is the very last paragraph:

Quote:
It must be noted at this point that both Cook and McKenna’s versions of Town have contributed to this, with both managers facing the four promoted teams once and claiming just two points each.

I suppose in essence, the corner hasn't officially been turned yet. Big summer ahead for KMcK.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:48 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:33 pm
Admittedly I've not read the whole thing, but I object to the inference in that paragraph that KM is as culpable as PC. He's clearly not.
It's just one quote from a well-balanced overview. Its just a comparison between the two managers against the 4 promoted sides. 3 of which are currently in 11th, 12th and 13th place. So theyre not exactly mugs. But we should have gor more points off them. Dont worry, Cook gets the vast majority of the blame.

If Cook takes 100% of the blame and McKenna none then it becomes a puff piece on McKenna and Cook becomes the total fall guy to protect McKenna. Something which McKenna has never asked for. Never heard him make excuses or blame anyone yet. Just gives me more confidence in him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:02 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:33 pm
Admittedly I've not read the whole thing, but I object to the inference in that paragraph that KM is as culpable as PC. He's clearly not.
My quote:

And extremely noteworthy if reading the entire thing is the very last paragraph:

So Yeah Balls, ….., :lol: , you need to read the whole thing.