Town's playoff hopes

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

mendipblue

Town's playoff hopes

Post by mendipblue » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:42 pm

Gillingham H..3pts ✅
Doncaster A...3pts ✅
Mk Don's A..1pt ✅
Burton H...3pts ✅
Cheltenham H...3pts ❌
Morecambe A...3pts ❌
Fleetwood A...3pts ✅
Lincoln H...3pts✅
Portsmouth H...3pts❌
Oxford A...0pts❌
Plymouth H...3pts✅
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats
41pts. To gives us a total of 82pts Dream still alive :wink:

valleyroad

Re: Town's playoff hopes

Post by valleyroad » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:23 am

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:42 pm
Gillingham H..3pts
Doncaster A...3pts
Mk Don's A..1pt
Burton H...3pts
Cheltenham H...3pts
Morecambe A...3pts
Fleetwood A...3pts
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats
All those 3pts I think your dreaming ?
If Ipswich are to make the play-offs then their away form needs to pick and pronto.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:44 pm

We were realistically never going to get promoted this season on the back of the wholesale changes that have happened at this club . I said it before the season started ….

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:44 pm
We were realistically never going to get promoted this season on the back of the wholesale changes that have happened at this club . I said it before the season started ….
Wigan had as many changes to their squad and look where they are. Our problem was we started to slow and PC was tactically inept.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:33 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:03 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:44 pm
Wigan had as many changes to their squad and look where they are. Our problem was we started to slow and PC was tactically inept.
Yep, Wigan have proved that you can make wholesale changes and still be successful, so for me that dispels the myth that we were never going to get promoted this season due to all the changes.

So what does that leave as the reason? Hmmmm, that's been done to death

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:48 pm

Too many Cooks (one actually) spoil the broth (season)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:18 pm

13 wins? :lol: Understand the wink at the end there, buddy. Well done. Needed a wee laugh tonight.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:09 am

Wigan changed a number of players in their playing staff - as did we .

But;
They kept their manager.
They kept their backroom staff, infrastructure , CEO, training methods , medical staff, coaching staff .

We changed ALL of ours .

EVERYTHING changed at ITFC. Then changed some of it again when McKenna came in. That’s 3 significant changes within this Club in less than 1 calendar year. And people expected promotion??

Wigan changed their playing staff. Those new players went into a settled club, with a settled backroom staff and infrastructure and established training / coaching methods .

For me, that’s a big difference.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:20 am

With all due respect to you, Hallam......., Understand about "Infrastructures" & "backroom staff" & CEO's etc etc......, but sometimes, the players (who are settled with contracts and know their wage & future) just need to pull their fingers out. Like in the old days. Put a feckin shift in.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:06 am

Oh I agree with marko. And nothing will convince me further that when Cook walked through the door the shower of shyte that existed here downed tools on him because they knew they’d be out the door in the summer.

The new squad that came in just needed time. I’d thought it reasonable that we might start to see things improving from Christmas onwards , but then of course it all changed again with the management staff, so we’ll never know.

Clubs rarely give managers the time these days …, players however, can f*ck about until the cows come home and nothing is done (well rarely).
This is a free hit for McKenna now . Next season he has to deliver….. unless of course he’s sacked 🤷‍♀️..

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:00 pm

Based on what’s happened in previous seasons it’s highly likely that only 4 of the clubs currently in the top 6 will still be there come the end of the season. This time last season after 28 games Doncaster Rovers and Portsmouth were sitting comfortably in 4th & 5th place but they both fell away and finished 8th & 14th, meanwhile Oxford sitting in a similar position to where Town are now filled one of the slots and Blackpool in 13th place (behind us at the time) finished 3rd.
Fortunes can change very quickly and even after Saturdays performance at Sheffield we are still one of the better form teams in this league and there is absolutely no reason why we can’t fill one of the play off places this season. If we don’t, somebody else will come out of the chasing pack, it happens every season and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be us.
Hallam has tongue in cheek found 82 points but In reality we could lose 3 of those 3 point games and still sneak one of those play off places.
Having looked at our salary bill (which is way out of line for League 1), suggests to me our owners may well still be expecting McKenna to pull out all the stops to gain promotion this season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:44 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Gillingham H..3pts
Doncaster A...3pts
Mk Don's A..1pt
Burton H...3pts
Cheltenham H...3pts
Morecambe A...3pts
Fleetwood A...3pts
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats
To be fair all those 3pt hauls you mention are definitely doable when we are on song.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:54 pm

Hmmmm it’s was going so well until those last five words….” When we are on song”….. :lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:00 pm
Based on what’s happened in previous seasons it’s highly likely that only 4 of the clubs currently in the top 6 will still be there come the end of the season. This time last season after 28 games Doncaster Rovers and Portsmouth were sitting comfortably in 4th & 5th place but they both fell away and finished 8th & 14th, meanwhile Oxford sitting in a similar position to where Town are now filled one of the slots and Blackpool in 13th place (behind us at the time) finished 3rd.
Fortunes can change very quickly and even after Saturdays performance at Sheffield we are still one of the better form teams in this league and there is absolutely no reason why we can’t fill one of the play off places this season. If we don’t, somebody else will come out of the chasing pack, it happens every season and there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be us.
Hallam has tongue in cheek found 82 points but In reality we could lose 3 of those 3 point games and still sneak one of those play off places.
Having looked at our salary bill (which is way out of line for League 1), suggests to me our owners may well still be expecting McKenna to pull out all the stops to gain promotion this season.
I agree with all of that and if i was Ipswich owner i'd fully expect McKenna to get play offs.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:05 am

mendipblue wrote:
Gillingham H..3pts
Doncaster A...3pts
Mk Don's A..1pt
Burton H...3pts
Cheltenham H...3pts
Morecambe A...3pts
Fleetwood A...3pts
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats

And we could well make the play offs with Circa 73/74 points which means we could lose 3 more games where you’ve suggested 3 wins (73 points) or 4 draws where you’ve suggested wins (74 points).

Now that really does start to look achievable.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:34 pm

The OP must be on planet ZigZag if truly believes the team will take that number of victories in the games listed. Optimism is one thing but some times you got to temper it with a measure of commonsense.

Went through games provided and reached points total no higher than 24. This league throws all manner of surprises and oddities in all direction but keeping a rational head on it would suggest we're headed for say 65 points by time final game is over. Not only would that be surely lower that our tally last year but feasibly it won't be enough to entertain thoughts of any play-off chance.

One last time even now we've been or are, too inconsistent and erratic regards positives scores and actual victories to really hope to be part of any promotion mix. Cook has to take his share of culpability for it, should ideally have been let loose earlier than his time of exit. Had McKenna or someone competent come in at an earlier stage of it the team could just has easily had enough propulsion to finish within top six. Simple math, it's too late, we got too much ground to make up, team and players are nowhere near cohesive enough to allow that opportunity.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:04 am

Talking of planet zig zag SJ could please let me know what it's like. Also could please explain how you can put so many words together but actually say nothing anybody can understand. :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:54 pm

If we get a 3 match winning run going, I’ll start believing again. But that Sheff Wed performance knocked it back a few steps, for me.

It was a 6-pointer and we really were out-played. And created hardly anything. If we’d have narrowly lost after competing well in a tight match it would have been a bad day at the office and we move on, but we were so clueless . Not sure we have it in us to get a winning run together. I know we didn’t have Morsy, but with our squad we should be able to compete better.

Not blaming McKenna, but he’s no magician. I think he’s got too much work to do on the training pitch and I think he’ll need more time and another window to offload more players and bring in a few more….. especially a couple more players who can scrap our way out of this division. For now, I’ll settle for a decent run in where we’ll come up short but have some optimism for next season.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:28 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:54 pm
Not blaming McKenna, but he’s no magician. I think he’s got too much work to do on the training pitch and I think he’ll need more time and another window to offload more players and bring in a few more….. especially a couple more players who can scrap our way out of this division. For now, I’ll settle for a decent run in where we’ll come up short but have some optimism for next season.
It's looking more and more like another season in League One, which for many has been expected after the poor start to this season. I do hope and pray we'll be much more consistent and competitive at the top of the league because I'm not sure how many fans will stick it out. I'm happy to have KM and his background running the show, but it is a results business and if he doesn't produce a winning formula things could get ugly again.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:30 pm

Ask me again at the end of February after we’ve played the following games when it will be much easier to predict;

Saturday 5th February Ipswich v Gillingham (3pts)

Tuesday 8th February Doncaster v Ipswich (3pts)

Saturday 12th February. MK Dons v Ipswich (0pts)

Saturday 19th February. Ipswich v Burton Albion (3pts)

Tuesday 22nd February, Ipswich v Cheltenham (3pts)

Saturday 26th February. Morecambe v Ipswich (3pts)

If we pick up 15 points we could well be back in the mix, if we lose more than one of these games we can probably start thinking about next season.

In my opinion it could still go either way.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:24 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:54 pm
If we get a 3 match winning run going, I’ll start believing again. But that Sheff Wed performance knocked it back a few steps, for me.

It was a 6-pointer and we really were out-played. And created hardly anything. If we’d have narrowly lost after competing well in a tight match it would have been a bad day at the office and we move on, but we were so clueless . Not sure we have it in us to get a winning run together. I know we didn’t have Morsy, but with our squad we should be able to compete better.

The problem we had in the Sheffield Wednesday game was we’d had our whole first choice midfield missing. I actually wasn’t impressed with SWFC at all. We seemed to gift them What chances they had. We created nothing because of our 1 up front approach , a soft (inexperienced) midfield and a defence that had minimal protection, and therefore that looked like it would crap itself as soon as it was put under the slightest pressure, often getting caught in possession or giving the ball away cheaply.
Had we had our full strength side out I think it would have been a different game altogether. They hardly had a kick of the ball until Edmundson totally cocked up. I’m also not sure why Burns is being blamed, for not “tracking back”… he was committed so far forward in attack waiting for the ball, what the hell was he meant to do when Edmundson gave the ball away so cheaply and he’s at the other end of the pitch?

Anyway, we’ve made our decisions as a Club for this window. Some of it I agree with, other bits, I’m not sure it was wise to let certain players go , especially to rivals clubs! Overall 8de say we are in this division again next season, come what may.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:43 am

I also think Donacien was floundering in no man's land at the back post as the guy scored.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:47 am

Also our poor performance at Hillsborough on Saturday was exacerbated further on Tuesday night when The Owls won again at home to Morecambe to go 5 points clear and still with another game in hand. That really was a costly defeat for us.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:02 pm

Intro Tyreese Simpson up top and I think we will see quite a change in results :D onwards and upwards eh :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:49 pm

Are you his agent ?

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:11 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:49 pm
Are you his agent ?
:) That's between me and K Mc BM, and both K Mc and I have seen enough of the lad's strengths to convince our lad Simmo to sign another contract, we know he's busting a gut to perform in front of 20'000 Town fans and show what he's all about.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:57 pm

Sometimes do think Ash has a finger on a pulse somewhere…….. then he posts the “yeeeeeeee haaaaaa” posts, and then think, “Na. No danger!”

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:57 pm
Sometimes do think Ash has a finger on a pulse somewhere…….. then he posts the “yeeeeeeee haaaaaa” posts, and then think, “Na. No danger!”
:lol: :lol: :lol: Puts you off the cent though Marco :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:14 pm

Or the "pence" ?