League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Gillingham AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Should win this one comfortably?

Town Win
86%
Gills Win
No votes
Draw
14%

Total votes: 14

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Gillingham AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:21 pm

Mick Mills summed Edmundson up very well last night . He said he is not comfortable on the left side of a three and wants to ( mediates often) towards the middle . He doesn’t often get forward or support the left back so we offer a weaker attacking option down the left . Unlike Janoi : Burns partnership . Edmundson he felt is not comfortable on the ball and playing out thd back like Woolfie does and is best suited to a flat back four.

Tuesday we’ll probably go with KVY on the right if Burns is out . The left side remains poor imo
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:22 pm

Very interesting read on KM's EADT match report after the Gillingham debacle 1-0 win, he states Gillingham came here with a real game plan to pack out the defense similar to Sheff Wed tactics 5 across the midfield and states the bleeding obvious we lacked the ability to break down their defensive tactics.

Well Mr clever clogs you need to look at your team selection again, as I pointed out earlier this week when a team tries to lock the frigging door you only have one answer and that's to use A F*****G battering ram striker to break an opening, we have such a player who's young, built like a brick shithouse clever on the ball and not easy to barge off to do the job, can score lots of goals, so what does our manager do plays Simmo in the under 23's game at Colchester and he scored a very good goal :lol: (albeit ruled offside) but no he goes for in his words, tippy tappy none functional frustrating style of play and wonders why we F*****G struggled, so Mr. McKenna against Donny away who will no doubt use the same tactics of survival football, use Simmo upfront with Pigott ok, then use Chaplin, Aluko, and Celina supplying the ammo, oh and get rid of Edwards, Carroll, and Edmundson who all fail to live up to their status, send them out on loan or something as they are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Now when we play MK DONS who love to play an open style of play then you can use your passing game to a benefit as the players will have more room to maneuver :roll: just a suggestion, you still have a lot to learn in the management game its a lot different to being a Man U advisor on training ground tactics, you personally have to accept the full brunt of game plans like these that go tits up old chap not just the good games, so forget WE and look to I must learn ok.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:24 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:36 pm
Marko totally agree with you about the Morsy situation. At this moment in time we don’t have a replacement for him and as tang says this really should have been flagged up by the time the January window came around. Let’s face it with his disciplinary record it is quite possible he will be missing quite a few games in the future as well.
The other concern I have is if teams stop Burns playing we seem to struggle as well. Certainly a couple of things that KM needs to be looking at in the summer window.
She’d that’s what I said , we didn’t get a decent experienced midfielder in and actually left one go and replaced with a youngster. I think we’re actually weaker atm for the rest of this season .

Bit of squad tinkering in the summer . But that’s what it is …, a rebuild . It can’t be fine in one of even two windows ( whoever is the manager !)

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:42 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:48 pm
rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:35 pm
Well, it was 3 points, so I'm happy. We would have no doubt lost that game under PC.

Not concerned by the terrible performance at all, KM will have observed and realised the following:
  • We are not half so good without Morsey and Aluko and Celina
  • Carrol is just as negative and a poor passer of the ball as was Cole Skuse
  • Pigott is not gonna be the answer up front
  • Edmundson is like a scared Berra, and needs to be replaced
Address thos 4 issues and I think we're good to go
Rossi I agree with you that under PC we would have probably lost that game but feel that we won’t get away with too many performances like that. What did you make of the decision not to have Aluko on the bench? Seemed a strange one to me unless there was a injury concern or some other reason.
I have to admit, Shed, that decision totally baffles me, especially given that it seems injury was not the reason - only thing I can think of is that KM wanted to give certain players a last chance against 'weaker' opposition

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:54 pm

Apologies for more opinion, Ashford……. But re your post; Chocolate teapot & Pigott certainly do belong in the same sentence. And kudos to KM for giving him 78 minutes vs AC Gillingham.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:08 pm

Ash, its bloody ridiculous to be having a go at the manager, that is everything that is bad with Town fans, the prat Cook had nine months and achieved sweet FA, a new manager, 5 wins from 7, of course he's gonna make mistakes for christ sake. This Simpson bullcrap is utterly ridiculous tbh, nothing was being said about playing him until he threw his toys out of the pram, its jumping on the negative bandwagon at its best.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:50 pm

Yeah it's easy to criticize the manager for poor performances, but remember these are mostly the same players who struggled and lost to Barrow FFS! In all honesty much like Cook, KM has a monumental task to get the squad firing on all cylinders consistently...there's been so much change at the club as KM has stated. It's not excuses, it's fact.

Morsy and the transfer window. Don't you folks think that KM and Ashford were trying their hardest to get reinforcements for midfield? Some of you say we should have gotten a Morsy like player...that's easy isn't it? ITFC hasn't had a commanding midfielder like Morsy for years, so let's just go out and get another one?! :lol:

Aluko. I believe he's a new dad isn't he? Maybe KM was giving the chap some time off???

Simpson. He's a league 2 striker FFS! (sorry Ash :lol:)

Please, please give KM a few minutes at the helm before you cast him away as well!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:26 pm

Regarding getting "Morsy types" to PR, 9........, grown to agree. It's League One & I still do believe that Ipswich Town is a name that can "attract".

But, as you say, not easy.

Reason could be time passed. Town fans like yourself 9, Hallam, Mike, Shed, that ancient old bstd, ash ( :wink: ) myself, talk about SBR and the old days. Current generation couldn't give one shyte about those days. A bit like myself when people banged on about the Hibs famous 5 & great Celtic teams and Stanley feckin Matthews....... I certainly couldn't care less. The current generation see Ipswich as a League One side with a previous few millennia in the Championship. The lucrative draw ain't there. Morsy types hard to convince.

The draw still there for us though. I still see ITFC lift a European trophy again with the help of my recreational smokes.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:23 pm

My interpretation of a Morsy type replacement is just someone who can put their foot in, be energetic, break up play and not be bullied. If they can drive the team forward and pass 10 yards it’s a bonus. Usually, a typical Town midfielder is as weak as p*ss and gets bullied. I’m sure we could find someone easily enough like that from Ashton’s state-of-the-art recruitment room.

We used to breed these types of midfielders in the past in this country. No skill, but could run and tackle for 90 minutes (Peter Reid, Steve McMahon, Carlton Palmer, Geoff Thomas, David Batty, etc….). Where did they go?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:48 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:23 pm
My interpretation of a Morsy type replacement is just someone who can put their foot in, be energetic, break up play and not be bullied. If they can drive the team forward and pass 10 yards it’s a bonus. Usually, a typical Town midfielder is as weak as p*ss and gets bullied. I’m sure we could find someone easily enough like that from Ashton’s state-of-the-art recruitment room.

We used to breed these types of midfielders in the past in this country. No skill, but could run and tackle for 90 minutes (Peter Reid, Steve McMahon, Carlton Palmer, Geoff Thomas, David Batty, etc….). Where did they go?
Yes, hopefully the analytics will identify that sort of player in the summer. We could certainly use a beast in the midfield alongside Morsy. Regarding your comments about 'a typical Town midfielder' I have to agree. I've mentioned before and still wonder if that's the kind of midfielder we're recruiting and developing in our academy.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:42 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:22 pm
Very interesting read on KM's EADT match report after the Gillingham debacle 1-0 win, he states Gillingham came here with a real game plan to pack out the defense similar to Sheff Wed tactics 5 across the midfield and states the bleeding obvious we lacked the ability to break down their defensive tactics.

Well Mr clever clogs you need to look at your team selection again, as I pointed out earlier this week when a team tries to lock the frigging door you only have one answer and that's to use A F*****G battering ram striker to break an opening, we have such a player who's young, built like a brick shithouse clever on the ball and not easy to barge off to do the job, can score lots of goals, so what does our manager do plays Simmo in the under 23's game at Colchester and he scored a very good goal :lol: (albeit ruled offside) but no he goes for in his words, tippy tappy none functional frustrating style of play and wonders why we F*****G struggled, so Mr. McKenna against Donny away who will no doubt use the same tactics of survival football, use Simmo upfront with Pigott ok, then use Chaplin, Aluko, and Celina supplying the ammo, oh and get rid of Edwards, Carroll, and Edmundson who all fail to live up to their status, send them out on loan or something as they are as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Now when we play MK DONS who love to play an open style of play then you can use your passing game to a benefit as the players will have more room to maneuver :roll: just a suggestion, you still have a lot to learn in the management game its a lot different to being a Man U advisor on training ground tactics, you personally have to accept the full brunt of game plans like these that go tits up old chap not just the good games, so forget WE and look to I must learn ok.
Utter bollocks.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:42 pm

Managed to catch some highlights, (man, thats an over sell of it)………. and hopefully the “anal”-lytics do indeed identify the sh*te on display. Has it been 5 wins out of 7 mostly playing like that Gillingham game? Jaysus H. 🤦‍♂️
I mean, yes, great, 3pts, but thank the sweet mother of Jaysus Christian Walton is a decent keeper. Think he’s saving the bacon of many.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Mostly utter bollocks, Barmy……. Except for the part where typical lower end teams play the 8-1-1 away from home vs supposed bigger opposition. Pep Guardiola would find that sh*t difficult to break down.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:33 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:42 pm
ashfordblue wrote:

Utter bollocks.
Please explain BB ???????????? :roll: I will agree That Carroll, Edmundson & Edwards are complete bollocks and not worth their place in the squad,
Last edited by ashfordblue on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:48 pm
Mostly utter bollocks, Barmy……. Except for the part where typical lower-end teams play the 8-1-1 away from home vs supposed bigger opposition. Pep Guardiola would find that sh*t difficult to break down.
Exactly Marco :D but let's wait for the penny to drop with KM

I've just watched Boreham Wood turn over Bournemouth 0-1 away from home it was a gutsy performance from the Wood and in the last 16 speaks volumes and for the 1st time in their brief history and shows the National League has some good teams getting promoted into the football league.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:58 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:42 pm
ashfordblue wrote:

Utter bollocks.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:08 pm
Ash, its bloody ridiculous to be having a go at the manager, that is everything that is bad with Town fans, the prat Cook had nine months and achieved sweet FA, a new manager, 5 wins from 7, of course he's gonna make mistakes for christ sake. This Simpson bullcrap is utterly ridiculous tbh, nothing was being said about playing him until he threw his toys out of the pram, its jumping on the negative bandwagon at its best.
BM when you watch clips of how the lad played on loan for Swindon with 11 goals it's very hard not to see why he's not included in the squad just to give him some encouragement. I am not jumping on the negative bandwagon at all we all know we can play a darn sight better than that home performance, it seems to plague us that we play some really good passing footie, then as soon as a team gets in our faces we collapse into a disorganized mess.

Now Hands up who agrees that Carroll, Edwards, and Edmundson should all be dropped ?????
And we should not have to rely on Morsy in midfield we should have an adequate replacement for when he misses games, this could have been sorted in the last window.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 pm

Just watched the Forest V Leicester gsme . Just shows you what you can achieve with a high tempo, quick passing ( forwards) and crossing into your opponent’s box first time, after you’ve got to the by line . Works every time . Awesome atmosphere too 👍

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 pm
Just watched the Forest V Leicester gsme . Just shows you what you can achieve with a high tempo, quick passing ( forwards) and crossing into your opponent’s box first time, after you’ve got to the by line . Works every time . Awesome atmosphere too 👍
Awesome young manager too

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:31 pm

Us or them VR?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:20 am

You talk about the atmosphere Liz, Mills was saying how silent Portman Road was Saturday, are we now turning into we only sing when we're winning type fans ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:53 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:20 am
You talk about the atmosphere Liz, Mills was saying how silent Portman Road was Saturday, are we now turning into we only sing when we're winning type fans ?
Cant blame the fans though Mike, there was sod all to get excited about with the slow, passing back and forth , Rarely
any crosses into the box ( if we even got that far up the pitch). There’s no energy about the team, no pace .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:07 am

For me that is exactly the wrong way to look at it, the fans have a part to play, get behind them even more when things are going wrong, god knows I did virtually every depressing away game for three seasons and suffered all the garbage but we still sang our hearts out, but you've kinda confirmed my fears about only singing when we are winning, I read the Sheffield Wednesday forum and loads of their fans said yes we had a great turn out for that game but my god we were so silent they didn't know we were there, Fleetwood took about 350 and apparently made far more noise, I find it disappointing, you would think the 7000 at MK at the weekend would be deafening.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:31 pm
Us or them VR?
Forrest have awesome young coach, McKenna has quite a bit to go yet before we can attach those words to him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:48 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:35 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:31 pm
Us or them VR?
Forrest have awesome young coach, McKenna has quite a bit to go yet before we can attach those words to him.
Plural? He’s “young”, Valley!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:22 pm

Way too early to start comparing Kieron McKenna to Steve Cooper, one has been a manager for 2 months the other for 32 months. One is age 35 (young’ish) the other 42 ( middle age 🤣).

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:22 pm
Way too early to start comparing Kieron McKenna to Steve Cooper, one has been a manager for 2 months the other for 32 months. One is age 35 (young’ish) the other 42 ( middle age 🤣).
I'm just curious if folks on this forum and in general are still upset we sacked Cook? I know I'm fully behind Ashton's decision and the appointment of KM. Consequently, I've accepted it may take even longer for us to be promoted...but that's how the cookie crumbles when you're an ITFC supporter.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:56 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I'm just curious if folks on this forum and in general are still upset we sacked Cook? I know I'm fully behind Ashton's decision and the appointment of KM. Consequently, I've accepted it may take even longer for us to be promoted...but that's how the cookie crumbles when you're an ITFC supporter.
Not upset…….. just think that with me being 50’s, 35 is young as Fk!! Thought it would’ve been “kindergarten” era age for you, Charny!
Holy shoot ——>> add a “WINK WINK!” :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:15 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I think you already know what my answer to this question will be. :lol: I just wish that the board had taken the decision earlier and our chances of making the top 6 might have been better than they are now. For whatever reason it seemed obvious to me earlier in the season that things were just not going to work under PC.