League 1 - Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another ugly win?

Rovers Win
No votes
Town Win
64%
Draw
36%

Total votes: 14

ashfordblue

Re: League 1 - Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:46 pm

Oh and KM please drop Bonne, and play Simpson up front against MK Dons, I shouldn't be saying this but thank God Morsy is back for Saturday's game

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:47 pm

Table looking better, especially when looking at those teams chasing us! Quite a gap developing, even if Pompey do have two in hand.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:48 pm

It’ll be interesting to see what KM’s game plan will be against MK Dons. Do we play more defensive, or do we attack? We’re still not scoring freely, so maybe a more defensive approach would be prudent. Is Morsy back for that game?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:53 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:48 pm
It’ll be interesting to see what KM’s game plan will be against MK Dons. Do we play more defensive, or do we attack? We’re still not scoring freely, so maybe a more defensive approach would be prudent. Is Morsy back for that game?
9 yes he is back for MK Dons. The bad news is I’m going so that’s us fecked then! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:56 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:53 pm
number 9 wrote:
9 yes he is back for MK Dons. The bad news is I’m going so that’s us fecked then! :lol:
Well no offense Shed, but fingers crossed you get the sniffles and can’t go. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:56 pm

For me MK Dons is a free hit but must win the two home games after that.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:57 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
number 9 wrote:
Away support be larger than the home support won't it?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:59 pm

I’m honestly not sure what to make of Town in recent weeks. You can’t argue with the fabulous run of results can you. But OMG we really are far from convincing aren’t we.

So many players seem to approach the *ame eithe4 with a lack of interest or a total nonchalant approach which beggars belief tbh.
This no drive, it’s one paced, it’s more Sadie ways and back than it is forwards. Possession stats look impressive , but hell, it’s mostly in our half. A lot of the players actually look to have lost their edge for me. Bonne, is awful. Chaplin ran around a lot but 8 don’t think i5 was a very effective , dynamic penetrating strike force tonight. We really do need to take our opposition on , beat them and get crosses in the bix. We just aren’t doing it! At the back we look like there’s a train crash likely to happen; at any given moment.

We MUST up the tempo in games. Where has the pace and sharpness in our passing gone? There’s nothing there. There’s no drive in midfield , no forward passes, and certainly not enough of getting the ball forward early, and quicker.

Will we make the play offs? I don’t think so, we just don’t look strong enough through the side.

I hope they prove me wrong…. In fact I pray they will.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:01 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
number 9 wrote:
Die yer bar steward !!!! lol: :lol:

Joke btw xx

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:01 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:57 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
number 9 wrote:
Away support be larger than the home support won't it?
Certainly a possibility. Mind you not sure if that is a good thing or not as often when we have a large support we fail to turn up.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:01 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
number 9 wrote:
Die yer bar steward !!!! lol: :lol:

Joke btw xx
:lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:05 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:43 pm
Damn shame Donny didn't score then, be end of Mathi's commentating career
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:09 pm

in fairness Ipswich did a job tonight. Really awful at times to watch but we were so in control

Just expected more goals but if Bonne taken his two what I thought looked fairly straight forwards then 3-0 would been fine

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:05 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:43 pm
Damn shame Donny didn't score then, be end of Mathi's commentating career
:lol: :lol: :lol:
OMG though, he has to be one of the worse commentators ever heard. Half the time do not understand him. Other half wish I didn't understand :shock:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:15 pm

I can’t stand Alex Mathie …

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:56 pm
Min a point for me. Momentum is key now. After MK Dons have a decent run of games. Town need a really big win and Sat would be perfect occasion

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:55 pm

Anything other than six points against two of the bottom three in the league would have been completely unacceptable. I don't care that we have looked unconvincing. Winning while playing poorly is a good sign.

I still think the playoffs are beyond us this season but if we beat MK I may begin to believe again.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:08 am

We scraped another win, luck on our side which im not knocking.

Thank Brian Morsy is back now, also KM, get Celina to have a few shots at goal, it would not hurt him and you never know he may score, he has the ability.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:55 am

Did we scrape this though?

Only scraping in score line but the game as a whole we totally dominated. Yes we could of and should of scored more, not scoring more than one goal with the chances we made was very disappointing, but I wouldn't say we scraped it

Reading the managers after game interview is really breath of fresh air. He's honest, he speaks well and so refreshing. If and again I say if we come away with a good result against MK Dons then this game and the game against Gillingham will be forgotten other than both games we won 1-0

It was the start of this season that made us in this position of catch up, no way would we be where we are now if kept Paul Cook, so yes we are in position where we are in a shout of play offs, next two games will say a lot

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:18 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:55 am

Only scraping in score line but the game as a whole we totally dominated. Yes we could of and should of scored more, not scoring more than one goal with the chances we made was very disappointing, but I wouldn't say we scraped it

Reading the managers after game interview is really breath of fresh air. He's honest, he speaks well and so refreshing. If and again I say if we come away with a good result against MK Dons then this game and the game against Gillingham will be forgotten other than both games we won 1-0

It was the start of this season that made us in this position of catch up, no way would we be where we are now if kept Paul Cook, so yes we are in position where we are in a shout of play offs, next two games will say a lot
Agree!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:00 am

If you don’t like tippy tappy football, what exactly do you like? Route one football with the long ball hoofed up to the striker? Well, if you do like that sort of football I think you should grow up. We’re not in the Mick McCarthy era of football anymore. A win is a win is a win. Shut up and support your manager and team. Stop being old! :lol:
Last edited by number 9 on Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:41 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:56 pm
Agree with the free hit point but we cannot afford to lose against the teams ahead of us.

So a draw needed at the minimum and I would expect McKenna to set up quite defensively.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

CRe: League 1 - Doncaster Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:37 am

Steve and Jo wrote:

Agree with this completely, we didn't scrape the win at all, we just didn't put the game to bed as well as we should have. The stats were so one sided in every department, what was it 18 shots with 8 on target, none on target for them ? Possession was loaded heavy in our favour and we missed 4 absolute sitters, mainly because Bonne is bloody useless. I never felt under any pressure in that game at all apart from 2 or 3 corners which we dealt with well, sometimes I wonder what people actually bloody watch.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:40 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:00 am
If you don’t like tippy tappy football, what exactly do you like? Route one football with the long ball hoofed up to the striker? Well, if you do like that sort of football I think you should grow up. We’re not in the Mick McCarthy era of football anymore. A win is a win is a win. Shut up and support your manager and team. Stop being old! :lol:
Agree with this too, over 600 passes we made in the game yesterday, not that many went astray, I know how we all used to berate the long ball tactic and with Bonne in such dire form that would not go well.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:41 am

Not sure about this MK free-hit thing. It’s a massive game and if we were to get 3 wins in a row then it would really feel like a promotion push and a massive boost for the team. It’s a bit of monkey on our back not getting a 3 game winning run. We can’t just select games that are winnable. We will slip up against unfancied sides (we’re not killing of teams) and so we need to feel we can win games against the top sides. Great opportunity to win 3 in a row and get a lot of confidence spreading throughout the squad….. and the fanbase. If we slip up against MK then it would feel we’re just flat-track bullies.

Thought that was a big improvement on Gillingham. It does feel a real struggle to score at the moment, but there were more chances created and our finishing wasn’t great.

Never completely comfortable sitting on a slender lead, but we seem to be better at seeing games out.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:56 am

Steve and Jo wrote:

I enjoyed a lot of the passages of play and totally agree that we dominated the game. Walton had very little to do and much of the positive play Doncaster had was created through our mistakes or bad passes. KM seemed to be happy with the performance, lack of goals apart!

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2022/februa ... doncaster/

We were more comfortable winners than the scoreline suggests, though as is typical with Ipswich, there were nervy moments as the game progressed, heightened by the fact that a single goal lead is a fragile one. Looking at the BBC stats, 17 shots, 7 of which were on target, tells me that we were creating chances, it's when we are not creating the chances that we should worry.

Bonne came in for some criticism last night and while he should have probably bagged a couple of goals, at least he was getting into the right areas. He is desperately in need of a goal and as such is probably over egging it. We need to get behind him, afterall we would be in a much worse position without the goals he scored earlier in the season. In fairness Norwood did very little more when he came on.

All in all, we have still got something to play for this season and history will tell us it is now 6 wins in 8. I find it hard to believe that any Town fan wouldn't have taken that at the start of 2022!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:36 am

Didn’t watch the game so can’t comment on the performance. However, had a quick look on one of the donny forums and there were quite few of their fans impressed with the way we played. They said that we were one of the better teams they have seen this season and we totally controlled the game.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:40 am

Pleased with the 3 points, and results since KM took over have been great.

A few observations:
  • There is still far too much sideways and backwards passing. Possession is good but you need to use it
  • One possible reason for so much sideways and backwards passing is lack of movement further up the field. More often than not there are only static targets
  • In my opinion, the most disappointing player last night was Wes Burns. He was more guilty than anybody else of backwards passing, when he ought to be running at defenders every time he gets the ball
  • We're struggling to score goals. Bonne is not doing it, Norwood is not doing it, Jackson and Piggot are not capable of doing it. Maybe Ash is right and we should be giving Simpson a go

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:47 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:36 am
Didn’t watch the game so can’t comment on the performance. However, had a quick look on one of the donny forums and there were quite few of their fans impressed with the way we played. They said that we were one of the better teams they have seen this season and we totally controlled the game.
Their fans' assessment was probably a fair one. I think sometimes we, as Town fans, get edgy with a close scoreline (and with very good reason), we see the numerous balls going astray, the hesitancy in defense Etc. but fail to see some of the good stuff. KM seems happy with how the game went last night.

3 points, 68% possession, 7 shots on target, our goalkeeper not having a save to make! Yes it was only the bottom team maybe, but good sides have a tendency to do enough to ensure they pick up the points and that for me sums up last night.

As an aside, think this was a nice touch and shows the regard they hold KM in;
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... na-8678982

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:51 am

Number9 do you have a problem? No I do not have a problem with 'tippy tappy' football, its all part of the build up in play. Yes, good possession and we controlled the game but it did seem a little like a training game, boring at times, we did enough but the lack of scoring oe finishing did not measure up.

Stop being ageist or me and you will fall out ok.