League 1 - MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 in a row???

Dons Win
33%
Town Win
28%
Draw
39%

Total votes: 18

goldandblack

Re: League 1 - MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:48 am
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:13 am
marko69 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 am

** places tin foil hat on head **

You may be correct, Wolfie :lol:
wait till the Town get back in the premier,.............. Div 1 and the Chump leagues look good from here :(

still waiting on Liz to tell us how many Town fans were there today ?
Hi Woolfie, I didn’t go as wasn’t able to for various reasons …. But the official Town attendance was 7k …. I’d stick a pic on here to show you ( it appeared on FB) but don’t know how too lol so you’ll just have to take my word for it . But we were bloody noisy !! Lol
that's a fantastic following Hallam, and a good result, :D

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:57 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:31 pm
hallamblue wrote:
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:13 am

wait till the Town get back in the premier,.............. Div 1 and the Chump leagues look good from here :(

still waiting on Liz to tell us how many Town fans were there today ?
Hi Woolfie, I didn’t go as wasn’t able to for various reasons …. But the official Town attendance was 7k …. I’d stick a pic on here to show you ( it appeared on FB) but don’t know how too lol so you’ll just have to take my word for it . But we were bloody noisy !! Lol
The official Town following was 6850 which is brilliant. Apparently highest away following of any club outside of Premier league .
Sorry mendipblue but your still behind us and Coventry City.
https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/w ... 44743.html

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:10 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:57 pm
mendipblue wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

The official Town following was 6850 which is brilliant. Apparently highest away following of any club outside of Premier league .
I meant this season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:10 pm

Thing is Woolfie ( which will skew the away attendance ), is Town’s allocation was capped . So it’s not that we didn’t have the same level of support for the fixture, we were only given a set amount of tickets and that was it. MKDons wouldn’t give us any more despite the demand being there .

The other thing I’ll say is it’s a 100miles for Town fans to travel to MK, across country …. and 49miles from Coventry, and 89miles from Wolves
( straight down the M1)…

Tbh I think any away travel should be applauded right now - it costs a fortune in fuel !

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:10 pm
Thing is Woolfie ( which will skew the away attendance ), is Town’s allocation was capped . So it’s not that we didn’t have the same level of support for the fixture, we were only given a set amount of tickets and that was it. MKDons wouldn’t give us any more despite the demand being there .

The other thing I’ll say is it’s a 100miles for Town fans to travel to MK, across country …. and 49miles from Coventry, and 89miles from Wolves
( straight down the M1)…

Tbh I think any away travel should be applauded right now - it costs a fortune in fuel !

Agree Hallam, also it doesn't count the fans in the home stands. Probably another 1k the cost of tickets and the travel now is out of order,
MK blame the Policing and insurances for keeping it to that figure, cant understand buildng a 20 k ground if you dont let anyone in,
there you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvlK8n1KkLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9vKoa81Wys
2-0 to the Wanderers s, 2-0 to the Wanderers s, :D
Last edited by goldandblack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:20 pm

mendipblue wrote:
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:57 pm
mendipblue wrote:

I meant this season.
sorry i missed that bit mate, :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:40 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:20 pm
hallamblue wrote:

( straight down the M1)…

Agree Hallam, also it doesn't count the fans in the home stands. Probably another 1k the cost of tickets and the travel now is out of order,
MK blame the Policing and insurances for keeping it to that figure, cant understand buildng a 20 k ground if you dont let anyone in,
there you go
I know !!!! Your lot are going really well !!

I thought mkd had a capacity of 30k ? Not sure , but it does look a big ground …. A case of “ your grounds to big for you… your grounds too big for you “

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:40 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:20 pm
hallamblue wrote:

( straight down the M1)…

there you go
I know !!!! Your lot are going really well !!

I thought mkd had a capacity of 30k ? Not sure , but it does look a big ground …. A case of “ your grounds to big for you… your grounds too big for you “
your right Hallum it is 30k, they shouldn't really exist should they, no fans no history, should have stayed as Wimbledon,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:12 pm

Some good observations from EADT's Stuart Watson:
PROGRESSION

Ok, so Ipswich still haven't won three games in a row this season. And yes, it's another game in which they've failed to beat a top-six rival.

But this was a performance that showed progression.

It was better than the defeats at Bolton and Sheffield Wednesday. The Blues still had long periods of good control. On this occasion, they kept their concentration at the back to keep yet another clean sheet. And though they didn't score, they did at least pose an attacking threat.

If you can't win it, don't lose it. A draw prevents the pattern of win, win, loss repeating for a third time. It keeps the average points-per-game since Kieran McKenna's arrival ticking over at two. And it closes the gap on the top six to five points.

McKenna was keen to stress that he wouldn't have taken a point before kick-off and that he didn't settle for one at any point during the game. That's great to hear. Overall, though, you can't be too unhappy with this draw.

YOU SHALL NOT PASS

Town kept four clean sheets in their opening 23 league games. They've now kept six in nine since McKenna's arrival.

A big part of that is the team's ability to keep the ball so well. This was the first time MK Dons had been beaten in the possession stats (47%) since playing Lincoln back on Boxing Day.

Collective work hard and positional awareness off the ball also limits the chances being conceded. No longer do the Blues look so exposed to the counter-attack threat.

Finally, a settled last line of defence is in-form.

Janoi Donacien, Luke Woolfenden and George Edmundson are functioning well as a back three. Woolfenden, in particular, is impressing.

Then, to cap it all off, the Blues have arguably the division's best goalkeeper in Christian Walton to make vital stops when required.

Towards the end of the first half he was at full-stretch to deny Theo Corbeanu, after Tyreeq Bakinson had been dispossessed in a dangerous area, and showed good reactions to keep out an acrobatic Scott Twine effort.

Towards the end of the second half, he did well to push away Hiram Boateng's snap-shot inside the box and then, crucially, sprung to his right to turn Twine's curling free-kick attempt around the post in stoppage-time.

Walton's permanent signing in January is looking better and better by the week.

MORSY'S RETURN

Town may have won three of the four games Sam Morsy was suspended for, but there's no doubting they missed the skipper's presence during that period. He just gives the team a different dynamic.

For a spell in the first half, Morsy played like a man possessed. Every time he got the ball deep he drove through the middle of the pitch. Bersant Celina was constantly looking to play defence-splitting through balls too. It was so good to see the team have some central thrust again.

In the second half, Morsy's high press led to several turnovers in possession in dangerous areas. Sadly, the Blues couldn't capitalise.

Morsy's midfield partner, Bakinson, had played well at Doncaster in midweek but reverted to looking a little too casual and lightweight in this game.

The quicker Town can get Lee Evans (absent through illness) and Morsy back together the better.

JACK ATTACK

Everyone had a guess at what front three McKenna would go with on the occasion. Very few would have had Kayden Jackson down as the central striker.

Town's meticulous boss studies the opposition intensely though and always comes up with a bespoke game plan.

KM explained afterwards that he felt Jackson's aggressive high press would limit MK Dons' ability to play out the back and his pace off the last shoulder would occupy defenders and create more room for deeper-lying attackers Bersant Celina and Conor Chaplin to operate.

Jackson's performance fully justified his inclusion. He did everything that was asked of him. Yes, with limbs flailing, there were some loose touches. But he ran hard, competed well and gave the Dons back three plenty to think about.

McKenna turned to his bench in the 76th minute, introducing the 'Bash Brothers' of Macauley Bonne and James Norwood for Jackson and Chaplin. Bonne headed wide at a corner, but in truth the Blues had looked more of a threat before those changes.

Jackson's rising effort, which was tipped over, was the closest Town came to scoring in this game. Wes Burns saw a low shot shot deflected wide, while Conor Chaplin's chest and volley went just past the post.

It's now been seven games (going back to the 4-0 win at Gillingham) that a central striker has scored. Upping the goal tally is what will really get the Blues motoring.

A TOWN TAKEOVER

What a sight it was to see 6,850 Town fans packed out in the two-tiered away end, an array of inflatables and balloons bouncing atop a sea of blue.

Ipswich supporters, remarkably, made up 45% of the crowd at Stadium MK. There was so many of them that the queues to get in were processed right up to kick-off.

This bumper Blue Army may not have made the same sort of constant noise that the hardy 1,026 did at Doncaster four days earlier, but when the intermittent roars of encouragement went up they reverberated.

McKenna, who described the backing as 'humbling', went over and bowed repeatedly in appreciation at the end.

If the Blues had managed to score a winner up that end in the second we would have witnessed joyous scenes to match those of witnessed for the last-gasp goals at Watford and Charlton back in 2014/15.

Just imagine how many fans would go to Wembley...

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:49 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:29 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:28 pm
Overall that was a very decent performance. Morsy makes a huge difference for us. As others have said, we need to get cover for him for when, inevitably, he picks up further bans.

The frustrating thing for me is that the result leaves us in a really tantalising situation. It keeps us in with an outside chance of making the playoffs but, with only 16 games left, we are running out of road. I still fear that we are too far back with too many teams ahead of us, some with games in hand.

Nobody will be more delighted if it turns out I am wrong.

We have just 14 games left to play.
Yes, thanks for that. I did the post on my phone and tapped the wrong number. Even at 16 it would have been a tall order.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:49 pm

Going to be quick but even without score that were an encouraging result. We made up half the attendance and took near 8,000 which is highly commendable. The traveling support deserved a win but think before play a point would have been taken if offered.

Did we really start with Jackson as a loan attacker. I got no answer for that but seems McKenna saw the error of his ways and changed formation later in the game. Both teams could have won it and neutrals will look at the score and imagine a banal contest but truth is that were far from the facts of it.

Obviously we need to be winning every game from here on but that's not going to happen and all things considered a point away to a tough promotion challenger is an honorable result, more so in that we played with interest and created our own set of chances. McKenna's impressive record here thus far continues, had Cook been allowed to continue hell knows what would have transpired or played out.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Reading “The jack attack” part in a previous post, Saint, I’m not sure there were any “errors in his ways”
Stroke of very good managerial know-how by the look of it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:23 pm
Reading “The jack attack” part in a previous post, Saint, I’m not sure there were any “errors in his ways”
Stroke of very good managerial know-how by the look of it.
KM explains why he went with Jackson in the article I posted above. Of course, I understand if today's shorter attention spans are put off by the amount of content. :lol:

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:56 pm

I was in the Upper Stand yesterday and I have to say it is a great ground and totally wasted on MK Dons. A golfing mate is a staunch Wimbledon fan ( he got me a ticket for the match against us) . They cannot believe that Pigott has had so little game time and to be honest neither can I. I have a feeling that Mckenna does rate him . I know for a fact that Wimbledon who are seriously struggling to get goals wanted him back on loan and the fact that they were rebuffed does indicate to me that KM is still trying to find that perfect combination up front. I'm not so sure that Pigott won't be with us next season. With the right player(s) playing off him and the odd goal himself he could be a unique asset.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:40 pm

RRanger wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:56 pm
I was in the Upper Stand yesterday and I have to say it is a great ground and totally wasted on MK Dons. A golfing mate is a staunch Wimbledon fan ( he got me a ticket for the match against us) . They cannot believe that Pigott has had so little game time and to be honest neither can I. I have a feeling that Mckenna does rate him . I know for a fact that Wimbledon who are seriously struggling to get goals wanted him back on loan and the fact that they were rebuffed does indicate to me that KM is still trying to find that perfect combination up front. I'm not so sure that Pigott won't be with us next season. With the right player(s) playing off him and the odd goal himself he could be a unique asset.
Could Wimbledon afford his loan wages?

Maybe next season… McK could set up the team differently. He just doesn’t seem to fit at the moment. The striker position does seem to be a bit of an area where it’s not quite right. Pigott reminds me of Will Keane… tall, rangy, good with his feet but not that physical and not that good in the air. In the right team, I think he’d be good. Maybe with a two up top with the right partner. Could play as a 10, but we’ve got competition there.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:04 pm

I think technically Pigott is actually our best striker - he’s just had a rough start to his Town career . Losing his dad suddenly ( would we be able to go our jobs in the year our parent died suddenly? Don’t think I could). He’s come to a much bigger club where he’s played under two managers with vastly different capabilities and tactical nouse .

He needs a run in the team but nit sure he’ll get that at this stage in the season now . Let him come back for a full pre season and get settled in. I’d be looking to find a striker to partner him going forwards next season .

RRanger

Post by RRanger » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:11 pm

Totally agree.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:40 pm

Really dont want to sound controversial, but i reckon MacAuley Bonne is the best striker at Portman Road who is going through a real bad spell of form. Just isn’t dropping for him at the moment. Even Fernando Torres went through a long “no goal” spell at Chelski after being prolific at Liverpool. In no way comparing Bonne with Torres…….. no way…….. Bonne is MILES better.

CAAAAM AAAANNN MacBONNY BOY, faith you’ll start doing again what ipswich fans KNOW you can do.

Taxi for Pigott. 🚕

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:40 pm
Really dont want to sound controversial, but i reckon MacAuley Bonne is the best striker at Portman Road who is going through a real bad spell of form. Just isn’t dropping for him at the moment. Even Fernando Torres went through a long “no goal” spell at Chelski after being prolific at Liverpool. In no way comparing Bonne with Torres…….. no way…….. Bonne is MILES better.

CAAAAM AAAANNN MacBONNY BOY, faith you’ll start doing again what ipswich fans KNOW you can do.

Taxi for Pigott. 🚕
Very much agree with you Marko. He is probably trying too hard. I think he still makes a real nuisance of himself and doesn't give defenders or goalkeeper too much time to hesitate.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:52 pm

I actually don't rate any of our strikers as a long term option, but if I was pushed to keep one it would be Pigott, I actually don't rate Bonne at all, he had a good run where things went his way but for me his all round game is pretty limited and quite awful.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:13 pm

For me Bonne’s form has been pretty dreadful for quite a while now and I for one won’t be disappointed if he is not here next season.
I really think we need to find better if we want to improve and as has already been said we may very well need to be looking at replacing other striking options as well.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:34 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:32 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:40 pm

Taxi for Pigott. 🚕
Very much agree with you Marko. He is probably trying too hard. I think he still makes a real nuisance of himself and doesn't give defenders or goalkeeper too much time to hesitate.
Yes, i reckon he’s trying too hard but i suppose the sitters aren’t properly focussed on in diluted highlight reels.
Looking at Charlton, Leyton Orient & Ipswich clips; he’s no slouch for League One…… but thats just opinion. He arguably definitely wouldn’t be the “one” for the Championship should ITFC progress that way…….. probably much like King Frederick Sears the 1st wasn’t really up to Championship level, (or L1!)
But that form did seem to drop off quite rapid for MacBonne. Went from scoring crazy goals to missing crazy sitters, (according to reports)
Certainly suggests trying too hard.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:48 pm

A lot of the time our strikers simply don’t get the service 🤷‍♀️..,, Especially in the box !

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:30 pm

Norwood will be gone in the summer. Bonne can go back to QPR, Jackson will leave as well. That would leave Piggott and Simpson. KMc will bring in 2 new strikers he wants. Just be patient.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:59 pm
Tell you a team that is steaming up the league right now - Bolton!!
Think you put the kibosh on Bolton Liz! Looking at their result at Burton tonight! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:42 am

I was woopin for joy at that AM … shouting “ yes, get in”!!! :lol: :lol:

I notice two of Burton’s goals were by a CB which makes me think it was set pieces … so hope we’re on our guard for that that Sat 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:44 am

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:30 pm
Norwood will be gone in the summer. Bonne can go back to QPR, Jackson will leave as well. That would leave Piggott and Simpson. KMc will bring in 2 new strikers he wants. Just be patient.
I’m of a similar mind MB… but I’m not so sure Simpson will be here either - all depends what happens over remainder of this season and whether he’s bothering to turn up in training now. Part of me thinks he’s in a bit of a sulk over Swindon recall.