League 1 - MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3 in a row???

Dons Win
33%
Town Win
28%
Draw
39%

Total votes: 18

ashfordblue

Re: League 1 - MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:04 pm

:x Still got to get this fooking striker situation sorted, FFS Keiran give Simmo ago up front against Burton PLEASE, you've permutated the rest and their cack, time to make a change up front and stop relying on the midfield players to score.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:05 pm

Happy with a draw away against a top team in this leauge.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:03 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:58 pm
Game was there for the winning but a decent point.
I think he made a wrong choice in Jackson up front . He offered nothing. He went through the motions of “ closing down “. He made one tackle all game and that was a diving lunge more suited to rugby league . It’s a pity Bonne can’t hit a barn door now coz his work rate is exceptional .

I wouldn’t like to say if any of the strikers on our books will still be here next season .

A good point today . Well played lads 👍
Jackson does nothing for me. We may have won this if Norwood would have started. Sure I'll take the draw over a loss, but we really needed a win especially when you look at the number of games in hand and other results today.

My first time seeing Bakinson for almost a full match. He does seem a little light weight, and he made 3 errors that could have been costly.

All in all a good performance against a top team. That's 3 clean sheets in a row...God knows how. :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:03 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:28 pm
Mental, i thought Jackson played well and Bakinson with Morsy is by far the best CM pairing we have.
Tis funny how we all see things differently sometimes. :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:02 pm

We do all see things differently which is why it’s not worth getting involved in arguments about what we do see. I know I missed the first 20 mins of today’s game but from the 70 mins I did watch for me Jackson and Bakinson were our two poorest/weakest players in a team that played well. That said I thought Bakinson played better today than he did at Doncaster and may well improve with each game. I’d certainly keep him in simply because he appears to fit with those around him. The reason I think he struggles is because the midfield move the ball around with very quick short passes which means that occasionally the opposition simply get in the way or the receiving player gets caught in possession. I’d be much happier to see more player movement with and without the ball and longer passes. I’m sure it will come and I have every faith in K McKenna getting it right.
For me Christian Walton was our MOTM and without him I think this was a game we could easily have lost. Our strikers are currently looking fairy lightweight and if we don’t make the play offs I think this is where we’ll look when it comes to looking for reasons why we didn’t. How we’ve gone from being the EFL’s second most prolific scoring team after Fulham, to where we are now is baffling, but this is where we have to improve if we have any expectation of playing Championship football next season.
It’s still early days for Kieron McKenna but I have no reason not to look forward and enjoy the journey I think he’s going to take us on.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:18 pm
The noise our fans are making is phenomenal!!!
So how many did travel Liz, bet there was a lot, nice sociable ground and easy to get to,
did you and Mike go

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:08 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:28 pm
Mental, i thought Jackson played well and Bakinson with Morsy is by far the best CM pairing we have.
This

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:20 pm

I actually thought we were the better side and deserved to win it, first half we bossed it for half hour, second half was pretty even, Walton made a good save but had little to do really other than the normal stuff. I thought Morsy was excellent, yes Bakinson made an error or Two but I like him and his link up play, Burns probably made a dozen errors as did Celina, Defence looked solid and I thought Woolfy played well. For me we got worse when Norwood and Bonne came on, people knock Jackson but he stung the keepers hands in the first half and got into a couple of good positions second half, by contrast look at the pathetic effort from Norwood when clean through. All in all I'm well pleased with the result against an in form team.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:37 pm

Lol they only had about 15 mins on the pitch Mike… mentally cold to the game. Was Jackson effective in what he did? i don’t think so . He never made a single challenge on any of their defenders or tried to win the ball. He never closed their Gk down, and as soon as he did get near one of their players he “ jogged” up to them and watched them pass the ball away. No REAL pressure. He missed a sitter. Not sure why you now suddenly rate him , you’ve never done so for the last 2-3 seasons! I was really disappointed to see him up front for this big game.

Imtough5 Thompson looked better, and Bakinson was improved on his last game, but when we lose possession in the middle it’s mos5l6 him that’s los5 it. But hopefully we can coach him in this , because we can’t afford to,gift the ball away with players committed up the pitch.

Interestingly there was a guy on Suffolk radio who along with Mick Mills , was highly critical of this ongoing new style of tippy tappy possession football we now use trying to pass it out of defence. Have we lost the ability to get the ball forwards quicker now?, Why don’t we play our passing game in THEIR half , not in front of our box. It’s division THREE not the PL.

I would also comment that many of our players are on the verge of under hitting the passes they do make. Make the passes more crisp, firm and quicker executed. Why does our passing have to be so bloody slow? Possession doesn’t have to be at walking pace.

Our style does frustrate me and it often looks like a train crash waiting to happen. The next two games at home will not be a push over either. They’ll park,the bus and will be very happy if we paly tippy tappy footie in front of Walton. They’ll love it!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:40 pm

Jackson has a lot of energy, but he doesn't look like a natural finisher to me...whereas Norwood usually is. In fact, I can't remember the last time Jackson scored, of course that could change with more playing time. Look at Bonne, he scored loads at the beginning of the season and now it's been ages since he scored regularly.

Bakinson wasn't horrible he just seemed a bit light weight going into challenges, and indecisive on passing. He put players under pressure numerous times by passing too late when they were already getting closed down. I still think he should play though.

I thought in general we didn't move the ball fast enough to break down MKD's defence. We had a couple of breakaways that seemed to fizzle out. I'd still prefer to see Burns running at defenders toward the byline. We still tend to cross the ball before enough players are in the box.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents as mental as it is. :lol:

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:28 pm

Overall that was a very decent performance. Morsy makes a huge difference for us. As others have said, we need to get cover for him for when, inevitably, he picks up further bans.

The frustrating thing for me is that the result leaves us in a really tantalising situation. It keeps us in with an outside chance of making the playoffs but, with only 16 games left, we are running out of road. I still fear that we are too far back with too many teams ahead of us, some with games in hand.

Nobody will be more delighted if it turns out I am wrong.

osborne77

Post by osborne77 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:31 pm

So, I only managed to listen to a bit of the game today whilst driving kids to places but I ended up thinking, why do I still get excited when Town win a corner, as they seem so anticlimactic. I might be being a bit harsh, as I've only really listened to games in the last couple of years, so haven't actually seen how much of a threat we create.

Anyway, I tried to find some stats on how much of a problem that was and apparently, on average, only about 2-3% of corners lead to goals and the higher percentage of corners you convert, the more likely you are to get relegated.

Not exactly scientific research (geek in his bedroom analysing 11,000 matches) and a few years old, plus usual caveats about junk you get on the internet but it made me feel better.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:29 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:28 pm
Overall that was a very decent performance. Morsy makes a huge difference for us. As others have said, we need to get cover for him for when, inevitably, he picks up further bans.

The frustrating thing for me is that the result leaves us in a really tantalising situation. It keeps us in with an outside chance of making the playoffs but, with only 16 games left, we are running out of road. I still fear that we are too far back with too many teams ahead of us, some with games in hand.

Nobody will be more delighted if it turns out I am wrong.

We have just 14 games left to play.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:39 pm

osborne77 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:31 pm
So, I only managed to listen to a bit of the game today whilst driving kids to places but I ended up thinking, why do I still get excited when Town win a corner, as they seem so anticlimactic. I might be being a bit harsh, as I've only really listened to games in the last couple of years, so haven't actually seen how much of a threat we create.

Anyway, I tried to find some stats on how much of a problem that was and apparently, on average, only about 2-3% of corners lead to goals and the higher percentage of corners you convert, the more likely you are to get relegated.

Not exactly scientific research (geek in his bedroom analysing 11,000 matches) and a few years old, plus usual caveats about junk you get on the internet but it made me feel better.
:lol: Entertaining post this one. :lol: Nice one, Oz77.

Can 100% relate to the corner excitement. Sometimes they are extremely crucial for winning a cup after 114 years!

LIAM to deliver
https://youtu.be/S__CzG2EknQ

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:41 pm

I don’t know how much we paid for Christian Walton but it was money well spent and must give the defenders in front of him so much more confidence than previous recent keepers. I don’t know where to look for keeper stats or player ratings but I reckon Walton made three or four saves today that any one of could easily have been a goal for MK Dons and in doing so prevented us from losing. I think he was our joint MOTM with Sam Morsy. I just wish we had a striker or two to match their displays.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:51 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:39 pm
osborne77 wrote:

Can 100% relate to the corner excitement. Sometimes they are extremely crucial for winning a cup after 114 years!

LIAM to deliver
:lol: :lol: Snap, that was the first win at the mol for Arsenal in 114 yrs, and that was a foul,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckYd_fvAGTk
Last edited by goldandblack on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:55 pm

We have just 14 games left to play.
That’s still 42 points to play for….

I do agree though it’s a very tall order and likely will come down to that month where we play the teams around and above us.
I think if we can get momentum for next season, and sign a few good players then we could be on for a title charge next season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:02 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:51 pm
marko69 wrote:
osborne77 wrote:

LIAM to deliver
:lol: :lol: Snap, that was the first win at the mol for Arsenal in 114 yrs, and that was a foul,
Tell you what 1;00 - 1;12 is hilarious in that clip, Wolfie :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:08 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:02 am
goldandblack wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:51 pm
marko69 wrote:

LIAM to deliver
Tell you what 1;00 - 1;12 is hilarious in that clip, Wolfie :lol:
:lol: its a VAR & REF conspiracy thing to make that foul on our keeper look like the ref /VAR wasn't looking after the top 6 clubs,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:08 am
:lol: its a VAR & REF conspiracy thing to make that foul on our keeper look like the ref /VAR wasn't looking after the top 6 clubs,
** places tin foil hat on head **

You may be correct, Wolfie :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:13 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:10 am
goldandblack wrote:

wait till the Town get back in the premier,.............. Div 1 and the Chump leagues look good from here :(

still waiting on Liz to tell us how many Town fans were there today ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:37 pm
Lol they only had about 15 mins on the pitch Mike… mentally cold to the game. Was Jackson effective in what he did? i don’t think so . He never made a single challenge on any of their defenders or tried to win the ball. He never closed their Gk down, and as soon as he did get near one of their players he “ jogged” up to them and watched them pass the ball away. No REAL pressure. He missed a sitter. Not sure why you now suddenly rate him , you’ve never done so for the last 2-3 seasons! I was really disappointed to see him up front for this big game.

Imtough5 Thompson looked better, and Bakinson was improved on his last game, but when we lose possession in the middle it’s mos5l6 him that’s los5 it. But hopefully we can coach him in this , because we can’t afford to,gift the ball away with players committed up the pitch.

Interestingly there was a guy on Suffolk radio who along with Mick Mills , was highly critical of this ongoing new style of tippy tappy possession football we now use trying to pass it out of defence. Have we lost the ability to get the ball forwards quicker now?, Why don’t we play our passing game in THEIR half , not in front of our box. It’s division THREE not the PL.

I would also comment that many of our players are on the verge of under hitting the passes they do make. Make the passes more crisp, firm and quicker executed. Why does our passing have to be so bloody slow? Possession doesn’t have to be at walking pace.

Our style does frustrate me and it often looks like a train crash waiting to happen. The next two games at home will not be a push over either. They’ll park,the bus and will be very happy if we paly tippy tappy footie in front of Walton. They’ll love it!
Liz, I don't suddenly rate him but I thought he did ok tbh, the last Two dozen games Bonne has been useless, Norwood and his cameo yesterday were woeful and Pigott just hasn't produced anything, read McKenna's thoughts on Jackson yesterday and this is from a top coach who almost certainly sees things a lot better than any of us do and he explains what Jackson brings to the team and how it opens up space and opportunities for others. Jackson is far from the long term answer but equally seems to be doing what is being asked of him.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:45 am

Hiya Mike …. Sorry munchkin, you know me better than anyone . I’ve pm’d you and thank you for your text x

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:48 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:13 am
marko69 wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

wait till the Town get back in the premier,.............. Div 1 and the Chump leagues look good from here :(

Hi Woolfie, I didn’t go as wasn’t able to for various reasons …. But the official Town attendance was 7k …. I’d stick a pic on here to show you ( it appeared on FB) but don’t know how too lol so you’ll just have to take my word for it . But we were bloody noisy !! Lol

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:00 am

TBF, Jackson was OK. At the moment, none of our strikers are sticking out and probably our weakest area at the moment. 4 senior strikers and none of them look in form. Chaplin looks our best finisher at the moment.

Bonne’s been given most of the chances, but his goals have dried up. Should McKenna stick with one and stop switching them around? A month ago, Norwood looked good, but he gets dropped and now looks woeful when he comes on. Pigott looks lost and, just like Fraser, doesn’t seem to fit here.

An on-form striker could be the difference between getting top six or missing out.

Really need one of them to go on a scoring run.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:21 pm

Cant disagree with any of that tang. We haven’t been scoring freely for some time now and it is a concern as we come down to the nitty gritty part of the season.

I see a lot of the last few games are at home. You’d usually say , great …advantage Town. But the way teams come here and sit back, I’m not so sure we’ll have it in us to get the goals we need. Hope I’m wrong ….

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:31 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:48 am
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:13 am
marko69 wrote:

Hi Woolfie, I didn’t go as wasn’t able to for various reasons …. But the official Town attendance was 7k …. I’d stick a pic on here to show you ( it appeared on FB) but don’t know how too lol so you’ll just have to take my word for it . But we were bloody noisy !! Lol
The official Town following was 6850 which is brilliant. Apparently highest away following of any club outside of Premier league .

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm

I was in the upper tier yesterday and from there you certainly get a better view of the game in respect of tactics and players movement.
When I saw Jackson was down to start I must admit I was shocked like many other fans. But imo he didn’t have a bad game and his movement did cause the Dons defenders some problems. Tbh I thought we looked less threatening in the last 15 minutes when Bonne and Norwood came on to replace Jackson and Chaplin.
Once again KM showed his tactical awareness early on in the game when the Dons looked like they were going to get on top by making a few tweaks. I only wish a few of our previous managers had been so quick to spot things. All in all we certainly deserved a point and on another day may have come away with all 3. Next away game for me will be Morecambe in a couple of weeks time.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:10 pm

Thing is our defence is generally quite tight if you base it on the clean sheets we have had under KM. Has this in turn had an effect on the goals scored column? If taking the old way of "building a team from the back" is anything to go by, then we are certainly on the right track. I would happily take 1-0 wins, or goalless draws against the better sides for the remainder of this season in truth.

Next season will probably have a totally different strike force, whatever division we are in. Personally right now i have no problem with Jackson, Norwood and Piggott moving on.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:50 pm

Well that’s one of SWFC games in hand gone - losing 0-2 to Rotherham 👍…. But our hugged threat to PO place I think is Bolton….. what price on a Town vs Bolton PO final ??