League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we cut the gap on the Top 6?

Town Win
94%
Brewers Win
No votes
Draw
6%

Total votes: 16

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Burton Albion Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:50 pm

We should have had 6 today

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:51 pm

Only listening but doesn't this sound great? Just swapped over to away commentary and they mentioning the crowed and the noise

The singing sounds terrific.. Ooh happy days being a Town fan

This manager seems to have every answer with team selection and tactics, great team selection again from Kieran and credit to the players for the performances they are producing

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:56 pm

How did Norwood miss that, so easily could have been 5 !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:58 pm

... and a clean sheet too against the team that put 5 past Bolton midweek.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:59 pm

Roll on to Tuesday and another win.
Won't be easy but need to keep the run of form going.
Interesting time of the season where a lot of teams who have been up there start to slide and others come out the pack.
Town starting to look like they are coming out the pack.
Into the play-offs in good form and as good as any of the rest !

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:00 pm

Good 3pts shame we didn't score more. Difference between 1st And 2nd half was, we passed it better and opened them up. 4pts off 6th place.👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:00 pm

👏👏👏 really enjoyed that. Well done team and we’ll done Kieron McKenna.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:05 pm

Fantastic performance by Town ( and special mention to Jackson who played SO well today - well done KJ 👍👍)…

Burton are actually a decent side . Very strong and physical , so don’t underestimate what a HUGE win this is for Town today …

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:05 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:00 pm
Good 3pts shame we didn't score more. Difference between 1st And 2nd half was, we passed it better and opened them up. 4pts off 6th place.👍

We also made longer passes not always to the closest player like we have been.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:50 pm
We should have had 6 today
Easily ….

But Burton could have had 3 in that first half too . Helluva game for the neutral

Gap for PO now down to 4 pts 👍👍

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:12 pm

The players, manager and all the staff believe

Great backing from the fans who believe also. If we do get into the top 6 bet the other teams won't want to be playing us

One game at a time though

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:13 pm

Really enjoyed that game. Burton were no mugs and at HT wasn’t sure we could win this.

We’re really getting some momentum.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:22 pm

Great result, great management, fantastic game for Jackson & taxi for Pigott. Next game is massive & crucial, (as they all are in Ipswich Towns position)

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:34 pm

Great result very tight for the playoff spots .
5 points off 4th aswell at the moment.
Who knows what could happen, keeping clean sheets now which is what we need for the run in to the finish.
COYB in Kieran we trust .

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:35 pm

What was nice today Jackson never got caught offside. He has pace and does not have to go early. Where as Bonne and Norwood are caught all the time. Piggott needs to improve though on his first touch. Thompson should never play again utter rubbish. KVY or Penny should have a run. Aluko was calm and made some good passes. Maybe we could play both Celina and Aluko. Chaplin can stay on the bench. Donacien is so much better than he has ever been. Keep going Town. 🙂

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:15 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:29 pm
Thompson is f**king sh*te my god that was a hospital pass
Interesting you thought that mendip as I was at the game and I thought Thompson played well and was solid most of the game. Just what we focus on I guess? Piggott has good ideas but things just not going his way. Jackson was excellent - as were Woolfie and Donacien. Mike is right about the ref - we have had some awful ones but he is right up there with the worst. Good atmosphere and entertaining game throughout. The opportunity to have a great season end is still there so heres hoping...!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:06 pm

I like Dominic Thompson too and think it’s no coincidence that since he came into the side we’ve only conceded 1 goal in five games played with 4 consecutive clean sheets. Defensively I thought he was quite solid today and an integral player in a defensive unit that is working well and best not tinkered with. If I’m disappointed with any part of his game it’s in his attacking role where I expected to see many more dangerous crosses to our attacking players in the opposition box, but that could still come.

I thought we were all pretty unanimous in that neither KVY or Penny was the answer and an attacking LB was our No 1 priority after securing Christian Walton on a permanent deal.

It’s only a personal opinion but at the moment I wouldn’t change anything with our defence and I’ll be surprised if Kieron McKenna is thinking any differently.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:47 pm

Thompson gives the ball away far to much. He can't cross, shoot and his throw in's are poor and he takes unesssecery risks at the back. Today he nearly got Walton seriously injured. I agree we have not conceded for 4 games and maybe you don't change a winning hand but long term this guy is not the answer.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:51 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:24 pm
....Woolfie, Edmundson very good today....
That's the most encouraging thing going into this stage of the season. Need to build on that confidence. Positions 6th / 7th could be decided on GD this season so those two being very good is essential. More of the same, lads.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:37 pm

can't figure Jackson out. Been near total anonymous with us for the most part, starts a few regular games and it's like we've got a different player. Maybe chalk it up to McKenna in that he's doing something for him any previous managers here were unable.

Somehow knew we'd win before time but after 45 and looking in it were still anybody's game. Don't wish to throw plaudits at the manager after each and every positive result but truth is he's been a revelation. Wheels have to come off at some time or another but until then just keep it going.

Some scores of notice also today, a 5 - 5 result in the league someplace and Bolton really turning heads, there's some real transformation going on there.

Think we got a match midweek, need to check opponents but another win would keep dreams alive. If only McKenna had come in sooner than he had but it's a target within reach. Check out game highlights when time permits it.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:02 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:22 pm
Great result, great management, fantastic game for Jackson & taxi for Pigott. Next game is massive & crucial, (as they all are in Ipswich Towns position)

KMc might not agree with you 🤔

Defensively, I thought we were good, I thought Joe Pigott led the line really well, worked his socks off, had the press against the middle centre-back but had to recover onto their deepest midfielder, so he gave us a great platform to defend well in the game.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:13 pm

Pigott just needs that opening goal doesn’t (e. He’s very skilful…..Norwood looks like a bloody pub player again now. Cant make him out !

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:20 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:53 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:57 am
If we’re in a mini-league with Plymouth, Oxford and Sheff Weds, they’re all playing away today so there’s some potential to make a bit of progress towards the goal of a play-off place.

Charlton v Oxford
Donny v Sheff W
Gillingham v Plymouth
Great post and yep, this is what saturdays are all about. Obviously hoping the team win, but checking on League tables as the 90mins pass.
Thats if you’re not dragged to a garden centre of course. 🤦‍♂️
Thanks Marko, hope you stayed out of the garden centre or at least were able to sneak glances at your phone down the plant isles 😅.

Our result was great but all three of the above sides won away.

To continue the theme, you could argue we’re now in a mini-league of 7 with three play-off places up for grabs. Of the 7, 5 sides including ourselves are in very good form with Sunderland and Wycombe in poor form.

On Tuesday our rivals play:

Cambridge v Plymouth
Crewe v Oxford
Fleetwood v Sheff Weds
Sunderland v Burton
Wycombe v Wigan
Bolton v Lincoln

Assuming we can overcome Cheltenham (who surely will be knackered after their epic 10 goal draw with Wycombe), I see potential dropped points from Plymouth, Wednesday, Sunderland and Wycombe. A win for us and losses from those sides would see us on the cusp of the playoffs, on 54 points with 12 games to play.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:26 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:06 pm
I like Dominic Thompson too and think it’s no coincidence that since he came into the side we’ve only conceded 1 goal in five games played with 4 consecutive clean sheets. Defensively I thought he was quite solid today and an integral player in a defensive unit that is working well and best not tinkered with. If I’m disappointed with any part of his game it’s in his attacking role where I expected to see many more dangerous crosses to our attacking players in the opposition box, but that could still come.

I thought we were all pretty unanimous in that neither KVY or Penny was the answer and an attacking LB was our No 1 priority after securing Christian Walton on a permanent deal.

It’s only a personal opinion but at the moment I wouldn’t change anything with our defence and I’ll be surprised if Kieron McKenna is thinking any differently.
Bit surprised Thompson is getting so much stick. The only thing is he’s really a LB and not a wing-back - which we really want.

We’re very lop-sided when you compare our right and left flank. Donacien is really a centre-back, but plays often as a second wing-back with Burns. They’ve got a great partnership. Could you see Thompson and Edmundson combining like they do? Often it works out well when we’re able to switch play from left to right quickly and Burns and Donacien have space to overlap. Would like to see Thompson develop his attacking game more, but I think he’s solid enough. And he’s part of a winning team.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:59 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:26 am
Charnwood wrote:

Bit surprised Thompson is getting so much stick. The only thing is he’s really a LB and not a wing-back - which we really want.

We’re very lop-sided when you compare our right and left flank. Donacien is really a centre-back, but plays often as a second wing-back with Burns. They’ve got a great partnership. Could you see Thompson and Edmundson combining like they do? Often it works out well when we’re able to switch play from left to right quickly and Burns and Donacien have space to overlap. Would like to see Thompson develop his attacking game more, but I think he’s solid enough. And he’s part of a winning team.

You say he’s not a wing back Tang but when he made his Swindon Town debut at Portman Road in January last year when Swindon won 2-3 he provided all three assists and was MOTM which suggests to me he can play an attacking role in the right set up. I can’t really see Edmunson and Thompson linking in the same way as Donacien and Burns mainly because Edmunsons clumsy passing. Given Thompson in only 21 and has only been with us for 3 weeks I think he’s settled in well and will only improve under McKenna’s direction.

Also I’ve also just read that earlier this season DT made three starting appearances for Brentford as Left Wing Back in the Premier League which suggest he should be able to play that role.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:59 am
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:26 am
Charnwood wrote:

You say he’s not a wing back Tang but when he made his Swindon Town debut at Portman Road in January last year when Swindon won 2-3 he provided all three assists and was MOTM which suggests to me he can play an attacking role in the right set up. I can’t really see Edmunson and Thompson linking in the same way as Donacien and Burns mainly because Edmunsons clumsy passing. Given Thompson in only 21 and has only been with us for 3 weeks I think he’s settled in well and will only improve under McKenna’s direction.

Also I’ve also just read that earlier this season DT made three starting appearances for Brentford as Left Wing Back in the Premier League which suggest he should be able to play that role.
He was up against Chambers that day. Enough said.

In actual fact I just watched the highlights of the Swindon game. He only really made one assist…. an absolute peach of a cross for the first goal. The other goals he just played a small part in the build up. Watching that Scott Twine wonder goal made me think that we should have signed him. He became Scott Fraser’s successor at MK. Ashton got the wrong one.

I’m just going by what I’ve seen so far. He looks solid, but doesn’t look the type who could beat a full back. He tends to check back and play the easy pass inside or backwards. Just looks more of a defender than a winger IMO. But as you say, he’s only been here 5 minutes and I think he’s done ok, without being a world-beater.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:08 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:02 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:22 pm

KMc might not agree with you 🤔

Defensively, I thought we were good, I thought Joe Pigott led the line really well, worked his socks off, had the press against the middle centre-back but had to recover onto their deepest midfielder, so he gave us a great platform to defend well in the game.
Its really just my “egg on face” approach, Kerry.
The amount of times there has been egg on my face over the years! Unreal.
The “taxi for pigott” quote will generate a “hatrick for Pigott” v Cheltenham. Book it! 👍🤘🤘

Cheltenham?? 🤦‍♂️
Ipswich Town Football Club are in the same league as Cheltenham. Jaysus H. 🤦‍♂️
In KMcK we trust!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:33 pm

Talking of McKenna has anyone else been impressed by his post match interviews and summary of the game. No more crap excuses and bullshit spouted out like we’ve had over recent years from a string of Town managers.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:33 pm
Talking of McKenna has anyone else been impressed by his post match interviews and summary of the game. No more crap excuses and bullshit spouted out like we’ve had over recent years from a string of Town managers.
Hopefully the team keep playing well (and winning) to spare him spouting the monotonous BS.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:45 pm

“taxi for pigott” quote will generate a “hatrick for Pigott” v Cheltenham. Book it! 👍🤘🤘

Yes please hope you are right 👍