League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cheltenham Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Continue to Close on Top 6?

Town Win
76%
Robins Win
No votes
Draw
24%

Total votes: 17

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cheltenham Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:12 am

Think you’re slightly missing the point, 9. Unless of course you’re talking about comments read on other platforms? 🤷‍♂️

The comments ON HERE, are all justified.
I’ll use an example…….. a hypothetical example.
Ipswich Town are in the EPL, and fighting relegation. Final 3 fixtures are Liverpool, Spurs & Crystal Palace @ home. Fans are going to be a tad peed off if the team only collect a point v Palace. Not one person on here has criticised KMcK last night. Its the frustration of Cheltenham @ Portman Road. 100% justified. Need to WIN those ones and hope for better results v the Rotherhams, Wigans and other top of the table opponents.
Hopefully it won’t, but it could come back to bite the club on the arsecheek. That’d be very unfortunate.

No whinging this time round, buddy…… as said, unless you’re reading twats gripes elsewhere.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:33 am

well I guess the difference under KM is that we managed a point last night - earlier on in the season under PC we would definitely have lost last night.

So - a point gained, or 2 points dropped depending on how you look at things, but getting 1 point is better than none.

We're still in with a slight chance of making the play-offs, though realistically we're more dependent on teams around us dropping more points than we do and that's not guaranteed.

I am still slightly concerned about our strike force - seems KM is still searching for the ideal combination, same as he has for the defense (it's no coincidence that we're not conceding whilst playing a settled line-up). Trouble is, I don't think we have the personnel available to get to that point. Bonne is way out of sorts and confidence, Norwood seems like he just isn't bothered, Jackson - well, he has one good game and suddenly people are saying he's a must to start, wake up people, how many league games did he go without scoring, I still say he's not the answer. And Pigott - carthorse pure and simple.

And the number 10's, - Chaplin is too inconsistent for me, and I'd be playing Celina and Aluko every game. Talking of consistency, I'd say Burns needs to find some too.

But there are only 2 weak links for me - Carroll should never play, and I think we looked much improved when KVY replaced Thompson.

Still, after 10 games I was expecting a disastrous season so it's a pleasant surprise to at least be in the mix at the end of the season and to still have interest - how different to the last few seasons.

So all in all, I'm really pleased with what KM has done so far - not sure we will make play-offs but sort out the striking options and we'll have a much better chance next season

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:53 am

Disappointing result after apparently dominating but still reduced the gap to some of the teams above. I would say on our form and seeing some bad form above us we are on target to be in the playoff positions in around 3-4 games if we keep grinding out the wins starting with the trip to Morecambe.

Bolton are doing well too. Would be nice if Sheffield Wednesday started dropping points......

Still a long way to go and I'm starting to feel that we have a chance now.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:21 am

I have seen no criticism of KMcK on this site. No whining either. I have seen understandable disappointment that we picked up only one point from a game where it was reasonable to confidently expect three.

I think everyone here thinks that KMcK has done an outstanding job since he took over. Our hopes and expectations have soared.

We may not make the playoffs this year because, as I have repeatedly said in recent weeks, there are too many teams ahead of us that have either a points cushion and/or games in hand. It can still be done, and I really hope it happens, but it is not in our hands. We need too many other teams to slip up.

If it doesn't happen for us this year, KMcK and the team have given us a hell of a ride and lifted our spirits. There is every reason to be confident that, if we are still in this division again next season, we will be top two.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:47 am

Before the game several thought we wouldn't win, we didn't win so why the disappointment if that was what was expected ? Makes no sense

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:49 pm

Sometimes when a tough nut to crack team is issued to us, we can't just use normal nutcrackers, like the macadamia nut you have to use a bloody club hammer to break it open, now do you see where I'm coming from with this, we need someone like the big 20-year-old fella Simpson who can force the issue and that's what's needed with teams that play 8 at the back, It isn't as though he can't do the job, as he proved at Swindon on loan 13 goals, and Div 2 is not a lot of difference to league 1 style of play, so come on Keiran give the lad a chance you might be quietly surprised and you've nothing to lose for trying.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:10 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:49 pm
Sometimes when a tough nut to crack team is issued to us, we can't just use normal nutcrackers, like the macadamia nut you have to use a bloody club hammer to break it open, now do you see where I'm coming from with this, we need someone like the big 20-year-old fella Simpson who can force the issue and that's what's needed with teams that play 8 at the back, It isn't as though he can't do the job, as he proved at Swindon on loan 13 goals, and Div 2 is not a lot of difference to league 1 style of play, so come on Keiran give the lad a chance you might be quietly surprised and you've nothing to lose for trying.
:lol: Think you’re on your own with this Simpson dude, Ash.

Reading reports, especially first half last night, sounds like the midfield are very capable of setting up chances but there is maybe a glitch in the system re net bursters! Maybe Simpson could offer something that MacBonne cant at the moment.
Is the Simpson dude like an Emile Heskey type?

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:47 am
Before the game several thought we wouldn't win, we didn't win so why the disappointment if that was what was expected ? Makes no sense
Of the votes before the game 13 were for a win. Only 4 expected a draw.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:08 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:10 pm
ashfordblue wrote:

Reading reports, especially first half last night, sounds like the midfield are very capable of setting up chances but there is maybe a glitch in the system re net bursters! Maybe Simpson could offer something that MacBonne cant at the moment.
SIs theimpson dude like an Emile Heskey type?
Hit the nail on head Marko, he's built like a brick shithouse and bloody quick, take a look on EADT or TWTD sites also there was some footage of him playing at Swindon showing his goal prowess, you will need to dig in the sites to see where I'm coming from.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:16 pm

Marko scroll down the EADT pictures after the report on last night's game you will see the big fella and come back with a reply ok https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... rt-8705564

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:26 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:08 pm
marko69 wrote:
ashfordblue wrote:

Hit the nail on head Marko, he's built like a brick shithouse and bloody quick, take a look on EADT or TWTD sites also there was some footage of him playing at Swindon showing his goal prowess, you will need to dig in the sites to see where I'm coming from.
I’ll help you out, Ash. Here’s a Swindon compilation of your boy.

https://youtu.be/OKixjVM0qJc?t=7

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:50 pm

Bluemike wrote:

Absolutely right Mike, there were a number of us on here before kick off predicting a very difficult game against a side that would almost certainly be playing for an ugly draw which is exactly what we got. Even Liz pre match thought we’d be lucky to get a draw, so she for one should be pleased.

Cheltenham are a horrible team to watch but they are effective at what they do. Clearly after a run of defeats in December including a 0-5 hammering at home by Cambridge they decided enough was enough because so far this year in 10 fixtures only Table topping Rotherham have managed to beat them and even then only by 1-0. In the 9 other games they’ve won 2 and drawn 7 which is pretty impressive.

Maybe it wasn’t 2 points lost but as someone else posted, a point gained. It certainly wasn’t a Banker home win as some seem to think it should have been. Football as we all know is a funny old game and sometimes it doesn’t go to plan, if in doubt look at our Prediction League results which most weeks we mostly get wrong. There’s still a long way to go and last nights result won’t on its own define our season.

Keep the faith, our season isn’t over yet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:06 pm

That's exactly my thoughts, it wasn't a disaster at all and no ground lost, with the number of games we have left Four points to make up is nothing really.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:35 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:26 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Nice compilation there Tang . He certainly won’t get shoved off the ball anytime soon will he! But of a “ unit” all said and done. I would like to see what he could do at this level , especially given that Championship clubs are supposed to be sniffing around ….

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:42 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:50 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Absolutely right Mike, there were a number of us on here before kick off predicting a very difficult game against a side that would almost certainly be playing for an ugly draw which is exactly what we got. Even Liz pre match thought we’d be lucky to get a draw, **so she for one should be pleased.**
Not sure why you or anyone rose should think I would be pleased with the predicted outcome ? Just because I could see what kind of team and problems we would face doesn’t mean I’d want that result . Indeed, given that McKenna KNEW what we would be confronted with , I’m even more disappointed that we didn’t show the guile snd clinical application in front of goal on every occasion that was presented last night . WHY could we , with our clearly more superior squad of players work out how to beat them ?

This is what constantly marks Town out as an also ran team IMHO. We rarely beat these types of teams at PR , and we KNOW they are going to continue to rock up here and sit back and say
“ yer, you play your pretty football , keep possession as long as you like , but you won’t get past us in our box “…. And we don’t !

Wee re had a chance last night to close the gap to ONE point, when most of our rivals were dropping points…. we failed yet again. Now we go into March needing to beat many of the top 6 teams …

So I predicted this would happen. Am I happy about it? No I’m Bloody not . I’m extremely frustrated by us tbh .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:54 pm

Think they can all be used positively or negatively as defining, Charnwood…… just depends on what results are picked for the job.
3pts @ MKD……. Could be defining if ITFC scrape 6th.
Finish 7th, missing out by 1 point, you cant get any more defining than last nights home game. 🤷‍♂️

I think its what Ipswich Town do that has to be the focus to avoid the underlying niggling Football fans seem to have. 2 wins & 7 draws is good for the horse riding jockeys of Cheltenham but the frustration (for some) can be driven to boiling point. Its what its all about really. A mixture of “the fan”.

Always remember a 2-0 Easter Rd defeat to Stranraer.
Wee cuz Graham: “Absolute effin NIGHTMARE!!”
Me: “Weeeeell…., 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Wee cuz: “WELL, FK ALL!”
:lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:56 pm

I think Charny meant you would be happy at a point that you were unsure we would get Liz.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:54 pm
Think they can all be used positively or negatively as defining, Charnwood…… just depends on what results are picked for the job.
Finish 7th, missing out by 1 point, you cant get any more defining than last nights home game. 🤷‍♂️

I think its what Ipswich Town do that has to be the focus to avoid the underlying niggling Football fans seem to have. 2 wins & 7 draws is good for the horse riding jockeys of Cheltenham but the frustration (for some) can be driven to boiling point. Its what its all about really. A mixture of “the fan”.

To be honest Marko, we have no real right to even be close to the top six when you look back at the fuckfest of the first Eight games and we all know who that was down to, you mention One game against Stranraer, I think some of the teams we failed to beat in those opening weeks were our equivalents to Stranraer to be honest.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:16 pm

I think we need to separate performance and result.
The result was disappointing in some ways. Disappointing because we needed a win if we want to make the playoffs. Disappointing because the first 45 minutes were in my opinion as good as I’ve seen for a long time.
Disappointing because the second half wasn’t as good. But before the game many (me included) expected a difficult game,
But the 90 minutes from half time Saturday to half time yesterday were great to watch, some lovely football from Ipswich.
The difference between the two games was the opening goal. I thought the keeper should have done better with Jackson’s shout on Saturday, but having gone behind the opposition couldn’t sit back and defend. Last night, having survived the first half onslaught, they could. They did. They became cynical, frustrating and I guess horrible. But effective. We actually could have lost in the second half so I’m pleased we ended up with a point. We deserve more on the first half performance.
At the end of the day I’m happy to have witnessed some lovely football. I’d be happy with promotion obviously but most would accept we have areas that need strengthening. If - and it’s a big if - we can do that in the summer, then hopefully we can achieve it next season.
So I came away disappointed at the result but not in the performance. We created chances even in the second half. I could watch games like that every week and be very happy.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:44 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:16 pm
The result was disappointing in some ways. Disappointing because we needed a win if we want to make the playoffs. Disappointing because the first 45 minutes were in my opinion as good as I’ve seen for a long time.
Disappointing because the second half wasn’t as good. But before the game many (me included) expected a difficult game,
But the 90 minutes from half time Saturday to half time yesterday were great to watch, some lovely football from Ipswich.
The difference between the two games was the opening goal. I thought the keeper should have done better with Jackson’s shout on Saturday, but having gone behind the opposition couldn’t sit back and defend. Last night, having survived the first half onslaught, they could. They did. They became cynical, frustrating and I guess horrible. But effective. We actually could have lost in the second half so I’m pleased we ended up with a point. We deserve more on the first half performance.
At the end of the day I’m happy to have witnessed some lovely football. I’d be happy with promotion obviously but most would accept we have areas that need strengthening. If - and it’s a big if - we can do that in the summer, then hopefully we can achieve it next season.
So I came away disappointed at the result but not in the performance. We created chances even in the second half. I could watch games like that every week and be very happy.
Perfect Andy! Exactly my thoughts!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 pm

Welcome back Andy, and very well put.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:58 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:54 pm

To be honest Marko, we have no real right to even be close to the top six when you look back at the fuckfest of the first Eight games and we all know who that was down to, you mention One game against Stranraer, I think some of the teams we failed to beat in those opening weeks were our equivalents to Stranraer to be honest.
100%, and what I was really just alluding to. They can all be defining and those first two months were woeful. I'm definitely guilty as charged (and I hold my hand up and admit), that I'm firmly stuck in the distant and semi distant past. It's why I keep referring to SBR seeing the club now. :lol:
Just cannot help it, but I see Cheltenham as a "Football is an afterthought" club and can't take them seriously. I'd wager they'll be in the Vauxhall League South in a few years! GOT to be beating Cheltenham @ Portman Road! If we were down the boozer, it'd get to the point where you'd say, "OK, WE SHOULD'VE BEAT CHELTENHAM, STFU FFS!" :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:45 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:16 pm
Good to see you posting AndyM....., on music thread and here.

If you look at Jacksons goal on YouTube, I reckon it was actually a very clever goal. Just prior to shooting, (22 / 23 seconds on the clip) he flashes a glimpse lightening fast at the keeper, then shoots, ----- >> he basically wrong-footed the keeper. Really was quick thinking and great play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgsXs628y-I

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:47 pm

OK, WE SHOULD'VE BEAT CHELTENHAM, STFU, FFS !!!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:50 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:47 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:54 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:50 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:47 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DEFINITELY should've beat Cheltenham like! :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:42 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:50 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Absolutely right Mike, there were a number of us on here before kick off predicting a very difficult game against a side that would almost certainly be playing for an ugly draw which is exactly what we got. Even Liz pre match thought we’d be lucky to get a draw, **so she for one should be pleased.**
Not sure why you or anyone rose should think I would be pleased with the predicted outcome ? Just because I could see what kind of team and problems we would face doesn’t mean I’d want that result . Indeed, given that McKenna KNEW what we would be confronted with , I’m even more disappointed that we didn’t show the guile snd clinical application in front of goal on every occasion that was presented last night . WHY could we , with our clearly more superior squad of players work out how to beat them ?

This is what constantly marks Town out as an also ran team IMHO. We rarely beat these types of teams at PR , and we KNOW they are going to continue to rock up here and sit back and say
“ yer, you play your pretty football , keep possession as long as you like , but you won’t get past us in our box “…. And we don’t !

Wee re had a chance last night to close the gap to ONE point, when most of our rivals were dropping points…. we failed yet again. Now we go into March needing to beat many of the top 6 teams …

So I predicted this would happen. Am I happy about it? No I’m Bloody not . I’m extremely frustrated by us tbh .

Surely Liz if you expect this;

“We’ll be lucky to get a draw despite our excellent form I fear”.

… and we draw and not lose as we could easily have in that second half, surely you should be reasonably happy.

I don’t think that result was as bad as is being made out, disappointing yes but not a disaster. Rotherham are the only team to have beaten them so far this year after 11 games played. I don’t know why we were expected to beat them as a matter of formality.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:14 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:35 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:26 pm
ashfordblue wrote:

Nice compilation there Tang . He certainly won’t get shoved off the ball anytime soon will he! But of a “ unit” all said and done. I would like to see what he could do at this level , especially given that Championship clubs are supposed to be sniffing around ….
Thanks for that Tang your a diamond, NOW MARCO LOOK AT THIS youtube of Simpson that Tang has put up, and please reply with your comments and what you think of the big lad

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:08 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:14 am
Thanks for that Tang your a diamond, NOW MARCO LOOK AT THIS youtube of Simpson that Tang has put up, and please reply with your comments and what you think of the big lad
Had to watch that on mute. Jaysus H, that music drives me insane. Wtf was that all about? Jeremy Corbyn lyrics? 🤷‍♂️

Nice compilation though. Especially liked the strength and finish of the goal @ 3:58 - 4:05, that was very good. Seems to be a very good player and maybe KMcK just wants him even stronger before getting him league One action.
And like someone else said; if MacBonne is misfiring continuously, then try someone else.
Vs an opponent like Real Morecambe would be good.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:31 am

I think McKenna probably wants to know he wishes to play for ITFC before using him