Strikers and next season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Strikers and next season

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:19 pm

Just thought I’d stick this on the forum for people’s views etc .

The issue (if that’s the right word), regarding our strikers and how people view them and whether the6 think they will or should be here next season. McKenna, I feel, isn’t really sure about any of them. But being the true professional he is , he’s trying to find a combination that works in each game.

So here’s my twopenmeth ……..

Norwood:

Pros. Combative, in yer face style. On his day will stick the ball in the net. Strong in the challenge,

Cons. Limited technically. Short fuse. High wage earner. Age. Not one for the Championship.A lot of off field baggage. Tendency to be lazy when not in possession.

Overall. An ideal bombastic striker for this level of the game, but has a limited set of skills for a higher level in the game and relies on his physicality to bully defenders. Blows hot and cold form wise.

Verdict? RELEASE

Jackson.

Pros. Very quick ( he said so himself !). Able to cross with either foot. Excellent at playing off the last defenders shoulder.works hard when not in possession.

Cons. Has rarely scored in the last 2 years at the Club. No physical presence up front.

Overall. Relies primarily on his pace to beat a player, therefore would question his ability at the higher level. Not a prolific out and out striker but can offer us something in wide positions.

Verdict! KEEP

Bonne.

Pros. Strong on the ball. Good in the air. Good hold up play. Works his socks off when not in possession.

Cons. Been out of form for longer than he’s been inform this season. Expensive to secure permanently?

Overall. Despite being out of form, Bonne offers the team so much through his work rate and physical presence up front. If (e could just start bagging those goals again, we’d have the complete striker again.

Verdict? SIGN PERMANENTLY if possible

Piggott.

Pros. Technically a gifted player in there somewhere! A proven goal scorer at this level .

Cons. Not settled at all so far. Rarely seen him to offer a view on his cons tbh

Overall. A real conundrum to stick or twist on him for next season. He’s had a tough season at a much bigger club, lost his dad suddenly, all factors which I feel have served to inhibit his ability to settle at the Club. I think he could have a much better season next year with a full pre season under his belt .

Verdict. KEEP FOR ANOTHER SEASON. If not showing up by either Christmas or end of next season , offload.

By offloading Norwood I feel this would free up space and funds to bring in another strong striker. But we must be prepared to pay big time for a quality striker. The difference between promotion and another season in League one is a strong defence and a potent strike force. That’s the one thing the budgies always seemed to get that right, they always got in a strong striker on their books. We rarely do.

Thoughts guys n gels ?

rossi

Re: Strikers and next season

Post by rossi » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:54 pm

well you asked, Liz, so here you go lol................

Norwood - Conversion rate of chances to goals has always been low even when scoring for fun a few seasons ago. RELEASE
Jackson - Fast, but so is a Ferrari. Can't score prolifically, can't hold the ball up, not very good in the air, quite weak physically. Not a lot going for him, even at this level. RELEASE
Bonne - proven striker, maybe loss of confidence is down to being a loan player? Needs a decent partner. SIGN
Piggott - carthorse, give him a job as a replacement for Bluey. RELEASE

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:01 pm

:roll: I would get rid of the lot Liz they keep coming up short, Kieran needs to sort the striker problem out sooner rather than later, our defense and midfield are near sorted, it's just the striker positions that need sorting out, and I'm sure Kieran has seen the problem and will sort it out either now or at the end of this current campaign.

Norwood, Pigott, Jackson, and Bonne are not the solution, that's why QPR never recalled Bonne, they knew his overall game wasn't consistent enough

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:24 pm

Ha ha thanks Gary and Ash …. It’s all about opinions and views . It’ll be interesting to see what people think …. Keep it coming you lot :D

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:32 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:19 pm
Just thought I’d stick this on the forum for people’s views etc .

The issue (if that’s the right word), regarding our strikers and how people view them and whether the6 think they will or should be here next season. McKenna, I feel, isn’t really sure about any of them. But being the true professional he is , he’s trying to find a combination that works in each game.

So here’s my twopenmeth ……..

Norwood:

Pros. Combative, in yer face style. On his day will stick the ball in the net. Strong in the challenge,

Cons. Limited technically. Short fuse. High wage earner. Age. Not one for the Championship.A lot of off field baggage. Tendency to be lazy when not in possession.

Overall. An ideal bombastic striker for this level of the game, but has a limited set of skills for a higher level in the game and relies on his physicality to bully defenders. Blows hot and cold form wise.

Verdict? RELEASE

Jackson.

Pros. Very quick ( he said so himself !). Able to cross with either foot. Excellent at playing off the last defenders shoulder.works hard when not in possession.

Cons. Has rarely scored in the last 2 years at the Club. No physical presence up front.

Overall. Relies primarily on his pace to beat a player, therefore would question his ability at the higher level. Not a prolific out and out striker but can offer us something in wide positions.

Verdict! KEEP

Bonne.

Pros. Strong on the ball. Good in the air. Good hold up play. Works his socks off when not in possession.

Cons. Been out of form for longer than he’s been inform this season. Expensive to secure permanently?

Overall. Despite being out of form, Bonne offers the team so much through his work rate and physical presence up front. If (e could just start bagging those goals again, we’d have the complete striker again.

Verdict? SIGN PERMANENTLY if possible

Piggott.

Pros. Technically a gifted player in there somewhere! A proven goal scorer at this level .

Cons. Not settled at all so far. Rarely seen him to offer a view on his cons tbh

Overall. A real conundrum to stick or twist on him for next season. He’s had a tough season at a much bigger club, lost his dad suddenly, all factors which I feel have served to inhibit his ability to settle at the Club. I think he could have a much better season next year with a full pre season under his belt .

Verdict. KEEP FOR ANOTHER SEASON. If not showing up by either Christmas or end of next season , offload.

By offloading Norwood I feel this would free up space and funds to bring in another strong striker. But we must be prepared to pay big time for a quality striker. The difference between promotion and another season in League one is a strong defence and a potent strike force. That’s the one thing the budgies always seemed to get that right, they always got in a strong striker on their books. We rarely do.

Thoughts guys n gels ?
I agree with most of that but I would only buy Bonne if the price is reasonable I also think Pigott will come good if given a run of games but until we are unable to reach the top 6 I don't think he will get enough game time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:59 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:01 pm
:roll: I would get rid of the lot Liz they keep coming up short, Kieran needs to sort the striker problem out sooner rather than later, our defense and midfield are near sorted, it's just the striker positions that need sorting out, and I'm sure Kieran has seen the problem and will sort it out either now or at the end of this current campaign.

Norwood, Pigott, Jackson, and Bonne are not the solution, that's why QPR never recalled Bonne, they knew his overall game wasn't consistent enough
I agree, get rid of all. Norwood not committed, Jackson not physical, Bonne inconsistent, Piggott has done nothing for ITFC.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:15 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:54 pm
well you asked, Liz, so here you go lol................

Norwood - Conversion rate of chances to goals has always been low even when scoring for fun a few seasons ago. RELEASE
Jackson - Fast, but so is a Ferrari. Can't score prolifically, can't hold the ball up, not very good in the air, quite weak physically. Not a lot going for him, even at this level. RELEASE
Bonne - proven striker, maybe loss of confidence is down to being a loan player? Needs a decent partner. SIGN
Piggott - carthorse, give him a job as a replacement for Bluey. RELEASE
More with this take on things. KM seems to find Jackson useful (of the options he has) for the roles he employs him, but Rossi's description is spot on.

Bonne? For me i struggle to understand how he can suddenly become a poor striker! If he was capable of scoring the goals he did early in the season, what has changed so dramatically? Confidence? Defences have "found him out"? Or has that initial honeymoon of being back at his boyhood club become jaded? An on form Bonne is still our most capable option i feel

Piggott, while i wouldn't use the term "carthorse" necessarily, just does not seem to fit at Ipswich Town, sadly! I guess it happens and while he hasn't had the minutes other strikers have had, he has failed to impose himself enough.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:59 pm

I would get rid of Norwood and Pigott, send Bonne back come May and keep Jackson purely for the attributes he does have which are vastly different to most other strikers, McKenna explained perfectly how good Jackson is for other team members, his pace and wide runs plus ability to cross will come in handy, that said we would need Two top strikers to lead the team with Jackson and A.N.Other as back up.

I rated Pigott but he's had a fair few chances now and frankly looks abysmal.

Bonne had a good start to the season scoring wise but his overall game is actually dross, can't keep onside, not particularly good in the air, not very mobile and at times looks laboured, I actually think his scoring run was a fluke.

I have never liked Norwood as a player and certainly not as an individual, he's just a nasty bit of work who can score goals when bothered but often looks like he couldn't give a toss, he'll do well at Colchester and not far to drive when he gets his licence back

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:45 pm

I'd get rid of Norwood.

I would agree that Piggot is a bit of a conundrum. He is clearly unsettled and his personal loss may have had a very big impact on the young man. I too would give him another season.

Bonne is a disappointment after a thrilling start. His usefulness is as a goal scorer. If he is not scoring goals he offers very little. Right now he is not scoring goals, and it has been going on too long. Send him back at the end of his loan spell.

Jackson, has potential and KMcK seems to fancy him. Keep.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:21 am

ashfordblue wrote:

EVERYBODY THE FK OUT :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SIMPSON!!!!!! :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:29 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:59 pm
I would get rid of Norwood and Pigott, send Bonne back come May and keep Jackson purely for the attributes he does have which are vastly different to most other strikers, McKenna explained perfectly how good Jackson is for other team members, his pace and wide runs plus ability to cross will come in handy, that said we would need Two top strikers to lead the team with Jackson and A.N.Other as back up.

I rated Pigott but he's had a fair few chances now and frankly looks abysmal.

Bonne had a good start to the season scoring wise but his overall game is actually dross, can't keep onside, not particularly good in the air, not very mobile and at times looks laboured, I actually think his scoring run was a fluke.

I have never liked Norwood as a player and certainly not as an individual, he's just a nasty bit of work who can score goals when bothered but often looks like he couldn't give a toss, he'll do well at Colchester and not far to drive when he gets his licence back
Exactly BM Jackson and Simpson up top and you could see a real exciting energetic change to the front line, Jackson on his own is a waste, and he's got nobody to partner him correctly from Norwood, Bonne, & Pigott so I hope Keiran can see the strength and change these two can give to the attack, and get the fans excited and on their feet singing their praises, I'm sure a lot of goals will come with Jacko and Simmo leading the line.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:35 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:21 am
ashfordblue wrote:

EVERYBODY THE FK OUT :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SIMPSON!!!!!! :D
Well Marco did you look at the youtube filming of Simpson whilst at Swindon if so I would value your comments on what you observe. So please reply you git :lol: :lol: :lol: