League 1 - Morecambe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will we fare against Managerless Morecombe?

Shrimps Win
10%
Town Win
86%
Draw
5%

Total votes: 21

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Morecambe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:19 am

Image Morecambe FC vs Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 26th February 2022 – 15:00

Globe Arena

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Frustrating But No Despondency.............

Not from me anyway. Yes Tuesday night's stalemate against Cheltenham Town was definitely a very frustrating evening for everyone concerned, it was One of those occasions where I think most people took a cursory glance at the Fixture List and then the league table and decided it was another Three points in the bag, but of course we should know by now, especially where Ipswich Town are concerned that these type of games are always anything but easy, in fact they tend to be the harder games, mediocre teams come and do what they do with all the tricks in the book and hope to frustrate us in the belief they can go home with at least a point, and of course sometimes, like Tuesday, it works.

Let's be clear though, doing what they do, Cheltenham are no mugs, in fact they are very good at it. I think we should not forget just how One sided that First half really was, total domination as Town played some lovely stuff and while their goal was not peppered with shots there is no doubt Wes Burns and Conor Chaplin had the chances to get us ahead by half time, Burns in particular will feel disappointed at his miss in the Fifth minute which would have set us up nicely. We should also take note that they have been on a very good run themselves with just One defeat in ten outings and that was against the Champions elect, Rotherham United, this is why I cannot look at it as a bad nights work, frustrating maybe but not terminal by any means.

Clearly points are the be all and end all right now when looking at our League position but Kieran McKenna's impressive start to his managerial career continues to build momentum, Eleven played with Seven wins, Two draws and Two defeats is very good in anyone's eyes, especially for someone starting out in management, add to that Five consecutive clean sheets and it is clear to see just how KM has improved an area which was so bad prior to his arrival. I have to admit just how improved Luke Woolfenden has been in recent weeks, I was all for him departing as he had just totally lost his way but a change of manager has worked wonders for him, not to mention a formation which suits our squad and he is One certainly reaping the benefits of it. I felt while everyone struggled in the second half Tuesday Woolfy stood out above everyone with his composure, timing and reading of the game.

Thanks to One or Two other results going our way no ground was lost as the gap to the top Six remains at Four points and there is still very much everything to play for. I do feel that from our point of view we are probably vying for the last Two places, keeping this consistency going will give us a very good chance of grabbing One of those places. After a couple of home games we now find ourselves on the road twice with long haul trips to Morecambe this weekend and then Fleetwood Town, again on paper Two very winnable games but that is how we looked at the Cheltenham game and look how that panned out.

I do feel we can go to Morecambe in confident mood and being away may just help us as being the home team puts more onus on them to actually play and not sit back all game. Morecambe have won just One of their last Nine League games and currently occupy the final relegation spot so pressure is very much on them to go for the win which I feel will play very much into our hands and make them easier to open up. A glance at the goals against column tells you all you need to know, they have conceded on no less than 63 occasions, and with only Doncaster conceding more I just can't help but feel we will have too much firepower for them, even with our misfiring strikers, so I am opting for a Town away win to get us inching ever closer to that elusive Sixth spot. I can see us possibly getting the job done by a couple of goals margin. They may well be Morecambe, we most definitely will have to be Wise !!!! COYB'S

The Opposition – Morecambe FC

Football in the town dates back to the turn of the 20th century; however, it was not until 7 May 1920 that Morecambe FC was formed after a meeting at the local West View Hotel. The club then took its place in the Lancashire Combination League for the 1920–21 season.

Sharing grounds with Morecambe Cricket Club at Woodhill Lane during the first season, football proved popular, with crowds in excess of 3,000 for derby fixtures with Lancaster City and Fleetwood Town. Although success on the field was hard to come by, with the club languishing near the bottom of the table, at the end of the first season the club moved grounds to Roseberry Park. A few years later after the purchase of the ground by the then-President, J.B. Christie, the ground's name was changed to Christie Park in his honour. Those early seasons proved difficult, and it was not until 1924–25 that the club began to enjoy some success, claiming the league title for the first time; this was later followed by success in the Lancashire Junior Cup, beating old rivals Chorley after two replays, and in front of over 30,000 spectators.

Christie bequeathed the ground to the club in 1927 and also helped incorporate the club into a Limited Company with a then share capital of £1,000. The rest of the 1920s and the whole of the 1930s saw a constant struggle to keep football alive on the North West coast, with poor results on the field and little or no revenue off the field.

The post-war era saw an upturn in the Shrimps' fortunes with steady progress throughout the late 1940s and nearly all the 1950s, with a visible marked improvement when in 1956 Ken Horton was appointed player-manager. Whilst success was only just around the corner, the foundations for the future were being built. The Auxiliary Supporters club had been formed and with their help many ground improvements were undertaken, so that the on-field success dovetailed neatly with the off-field enterprise. The fourteen years from 1960 could justifiably be said to be Morecambe's Golden Era. This included an FA Cup third round appearance in 1961–62, a 1–0 defeat to Weymouth; a Lancashire Senior Cup Final victory in 1968, a 2–1 win over Burnley; and an FA Trophy success at Wembley in 1974, a 2–1 win over Dartford in the final.

The next 12 years were as barren as any previous period in the club's history. Attendances fell from a creditable 2,000 plus to a miserable 200 minus, with a visible decline in the club fortunes during that period. However, in 1985–86, signs of improvement appeared; the club's league position improved, and cup success over the next few years filled the club with optimism.

It took ten years for the club to reach its ambition of promotion to the Football Conference after many further improvements, not only to the ground but also to the club's structure, giving the club the opportunity to confidently look forward as one of the more progressive Conference clubs.

Since elevation to the Conference in season 1995–96, the Shrimps achieved status as one of the leading teams in the league. In fact, only Woking had a longer unbroken membership of the league at this time. Runners-up spot was claimed on one occasion and the play-offs places were narrowly missed twice. Also during this time, the club also equalled its best appearance in the FA Cup in both 2000–01 and 2002–03. On both occasions the club faced Ipswich Town, losing 3–0 and 4–0 respectively. Morecambe also defeated a few league clubs in the FA Cup, including Cambridge United in 2000–01 and Chesterfield in 2002–03. In the 2005–06 season, Morecambe reached the play-offs, but were beaten 4–3 on aggregate by Hereford United, after a 1–1 draw in the first leg at Christie Park.

In November 2005, Jim Harvey suffered a heart attack during a league game at Christie Park against Cambridge United. The club quickly declared the appointment of a caretaker manager, Sammy McIlroy, a long-time friend of Harvey. After McIlroy's initial three-month stint as caretaker expired, he was given the job for the remainder of the season with Harvey expected to return on its closure. However, on his first day back as manager of Morecambe, Harvey was sacked by the club and McIlroy was appointed as permanent manager with Mark Lillis as his assistant. This caused a feud between long-time friends Harvey and McIlroy which has not been reconciled to this day.

In the absence of Harvey, Morecambe reached the Conference play-offs. They lost to Hereford 4–3 on aggregate, but McIlroy was appointed on a permanent basis in May 2006. The following season, Morecambe were promoted to the Football League for the first time in their history after winning the Conference Playoff Final, beating Exeter City 2–1 at Wembley on 20 May 2007, in front of over 40,000 fans which followed their semi-final victory over York City.

On 17 July 2007, Morecambe announced plans to move to a new stadium in time for the start of the 2009–10 season. Work did not commence on the proposed site until spring 2009, with an anticipated completion date of summer 2010.

Morecambe played their first game in the Football League against Barnet at Christie Park in August 2007, in which they played out a 0–0 draw to secure their first ever Football League point. On 14 August 2007, Morecambe played their first fixture in the League Cup and recorded a 2–1 win against near neighbours Preston North End at Deepdale with Jim Bentley and David Artell scoring for Morecambe. The Shrimps compounded this result with another upset win over a Championship side, a 3–1 win over Wolverhampton Wanderers on 28 August to advance into the third round of the League Cup, in which they faced a third consecutive Championship side, Sheffield United. However, Morecambe lost 5-0. They finished their first season in League Two in 11th place with 60 points. They also finished the 2008–09 season in 11th, this time with 63 points.

2009–10 was Morecambe's last season at Christie Park. They finished the season in fourth place, qualifying for the playoffs, where they lost 7–2 on aggregate to Dagenham & Redbridge. On 10 August 2010, Morecambe played their first match at the Globe Arena against Championship side Coventry City in the League Cup First Round. Morecambe secured a 2–0 win, with Andy Fleming scoring the first two goals at the stadium. This earned Morecambe a Lancashire Derby in the second round against another Championship side, Burnley, where they lost 3–1. On 9 May 2011, Morecambe manager Sammy McIlroy left the club by mutual consent after five years at the helm. McIlroy, who took over as manager from Jim Harvey, had left the club alongside assistant Mark Lillis. Morecambe chairman Peter McGuigan praised the pair for their efforts since taking over, describing McIlroy as the "best manager in his reign at the club."

On 13 May 2011, Bentley was appointed manager on a two-year contract, signing a two-year deal as player-manager. His first game as a professional manager was a 1–0 defeat at home to Barnet. The Shrimps then went on a run of four wins in all competitions, including a 2–0 victory over Barnsley in the League Cup. After his first nine games in charge, Morecambe sat top of the league after winning six, drawing two and losing just once. Morecambe's defence at this time was crucial, conceding just five goals in nine games. However, this didn't last, as a poor end to the season led to Morecambe finishing 15th in League Two, still an improvement on the previous season. Jim Bentley's second season began with a 3–0 win over Exeter City. However, inconsistent performances once again resulted in them slipping into mid-table. During the 2016–17 season, Bentley received a two-match touchline ban and was fined £1,000, though Morecambe fans paid the fine.

Bentley left the club in October 2019 to take the manager's role at AFC Fylde. On 7 November 2019, Morecambe appointed Derek Adams as manager, signing him to a two-and-a-half year contract. The remainder of the season, shortened by the COVID-19 pandemic, saw the Shrimps finish 22nd after 37 games played, still enough to avoid relegation.

The 2020–21 season proved to be a banner year. Among other events, the season saw the club face two Premier League sides in various cup competitions, falling to Newcastle United F.C. in the third round of the EFL Cup and to Chelsea F.C. in the third round of the FA Cup at Stamford Bridge; the latter equaled their furthest run in the FA Cup since the early 2000s. The club also saw success in the league, qualifying for the League Two playoff with 78 points, good enough for fourth in the league; they missed out on an automatic promotion spot by a single point. Following a 3–2 aggregate win over Tranmere Rovers in the semi final, the club confirmed a spot in the League Two play-off final for the first time in their history, where they faced Newport County. On 31 May 2021, Morecambe beat Newport 1–0 in the League Two Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium, after Carlos Mendes Gomes converted a controversial penalty in the 107th minute, earning the team promotion to League One, the third tier of English football, for the first time in their history.

Adams resigned three days later, with the club stating that he had left "to pursue an opportunity elsewhere".

On June 7, the club announced that former Motherwell F.C. manager Stephen Robinson would take over as manager.

On the 22nd February 2022, Robinson left Morecombe to take over Scottish side St Mirren.

The Manager – Derek Adams

Form Guide

Morecambe FC Last 5 Matches – Currently in 21st place with 30 points

5 Feb Morecambe 1 - 1 Bolton

8 Feb Lincoln City 2 - 1 Morecambe

12 Feb Morecambe 1 - 1 Gillingham

19 Feb Shrewsbury pp. Morecambe

22 Feb Rotherham 2 - 0 Morecambe

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 9th place with 52 points

5 Feb Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Gillingham

8 Feb Doncaster 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

12 Feb Milton Keynes 0 - 0 Ipswich Town

19 Feb Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Burton Albion

22 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Cheltenham

Match Referee – Matthew Donohue

MORECAMBE FC 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Morecombe FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:54 am

Another excellent preview and definitely a test to see if people read to the end. :lol: Nice one 👍👏👏👏👏

Guilty of “bigging up” Ipswich Town being in my 50’s, but thats just because I have followed from afar for over 40 years and this weekend its a meeting v the second of 2 teams that make me go 🤦‍♂️…….. first Cheltenham……: now Morecambe. 🤦‍♂️ (Probably add Fleetwood to that)
But 4 points from 6 will be very good. As you mentioned the “Against” column, Ipswich put 6 past the worst, lets hope for 4 vs the 2nd worst.
Away win.

Ref caption:
4th official: “I’m not sure on that decision ref, think it was a handball.”
Ref: “Yeah, whatever….. did you get me my half time Toffee Apple?”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:58 am

I’ve gone for a Town win, because we simply MUST win… I do wonder however if the game might fall victim to the weather though, which will be pain if it happens but which will also be a great leveller if nothing else. Here’s hoping the game goes ahead….

Other fixtures this weekend: MK Dons v Bolton, Plymouth v Rotherham, Wigan v Sunderland.( source EADT). So let’s hope Town can take another opportunity to close the gap ….

Come on Town , just DO IT 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:20 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:58 am
I’ve gone for a Town win, because we simply MUST win… I do wonder however if the game might fall victim to the weather though, which will be pain if it happens but which will also be a great leveller if nothing else. Here’s hoping the game goes ahead….

Other fixtures this weekend: MK Dons v Bolton, Plymouth v Rotherham, Wigan v Sunderland.( source EADT). So let’s hope Town can take another opportunity to close the gap ….

Come on Town , just DO IT 👍
Weather reports say it should be dry Friday and Saturday.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:25 am

Brilliant Tang 👍…. I watched the weather forecast this morning snd just thought oh bloody hell - snow, and lots of it up north … lol

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:28 am

Making the long journey up to the north west this weekend for the game. Can see this being similar to the Wimbledon away game where we didn’t make the breakthrough until the 2nd half. Hopefully it will end up with the same result so will go for a 2-0 Town win.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:02 pm

I can't believe somebody has voted for a Morecambe win. They are shambolic and managerless. A win is an absolute must.

Bigger challenges ahead but a comfortable win here keeps us hanging on with an outside chance of making the playoffs. It's out of our hands, as I keep saying, but all we can do is continue to rack up as many points as we can and see what happens with the teams around us. 0-3.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:33 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:02 pm
I can't believe somebody has voted for a Morecambe win. They are shambolic and managerless. A win is an absolute must.

Bigger challenges ahead but a comfortable win here keeps us hanging on with an outside chance of making the playoffs. It's out of our hands, as I keep saying, but all we can do is continue to rack up as many points as we can and see what happens with the teams around us. 0-3.
Reverse psychology Massey? :lol:

Also the manager who brought League 1 football to Morecambe for the first time, Derek Adams, has returned to the club!

www.morecambefc.com/news/2022/february/ ... s-returns/

While they are perhaps in a mess, never underestimate what a new manager can being, especially one no doubt popular with the club and fans?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:46 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:28 am
Making the long journey up to the north west this weekend for the game.
Almost 600 miles round trip? :shock: Too right re “long trip”.
Hope the team can make that worthwhile, Shed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:54 am
Another excellent preview and definitely a test to see if people read to the end. :lol: Nice one 👍👏👏👏👏

Guilty of “bigging up” Ipswich Town being in my 50’s, but thats just because I have followed from afar for over 40 years and this weekend its a meeting v the second of 2 teams that make me go 🤦‍♂️…….. first Cheltenham……: now Morecambe. 🤦‍♂️ (Probably add Fleetwood to that)
But 4 points from 6 will be very good. As you mentioned the “Against” column, Ipswich put 6 past the worst, lets hope for 4 vs the 2nd worst.
Away win.

Ref caption:
4th official: “I’m not sure on that decision ref, think it was a handball.”
Ref: “Yeah, whatever….. did you get me my half time Toffee Apple?”
To be honest Marko I'm pretty sure not many read it at all.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:46 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:28 am
Making the long journey up to the north west this weekend for the game.
Almost 600 miles round trip? :shock: Too right re “long trip”.
Hope the team can make that worthwhile, Shed.
In the past we would have done the round trip the same day but getting too old for that now so going up tomorrow and back Sunday. As you say hopefully it will be worthwhile.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:03 pm

Typical St Mirren nick Morecambe manager and they then reappoint Adams and get new manager bounce for Saturday !
Min a point from this match but really need 3 after disappointing draw on Tuesday.
With the squad of players Town have there really is no excuse for dropping points at Morecambe

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:28 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:33 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:02 pm

Reverse psychology Massey? :lol:

Also the manager who brought League 1 football to Morecambe for the first time, Derek Adams, has returned to the club!

www.morecambefc.com/news/2022/february/ ... s-returns/

While they are perhaps in a mess, never underestimate what a new manager can being, especially one no doubt popular with the club and fans?
Exactly. And after all we are talking about Ipswich Town here . If any team can f*ck up a dead cert win it’s us !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:26 am

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:28 am
Exactly. And after all we are talking about Ipswich Town here . If any team can f*ck up a dead cert win it’s us !
Yep, :lol: ITFC & HFC separated at birth.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:34 am

That's the point though, no such thing as a dead cert win.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:13 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:34 am
Precisely. Who'd have predicted us needing a last minute equaliser when playing Morecambe at home!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:58 am

I can see us going up there and putting in a polished professional performance. Yeah Morecambe score but I don’t think they’ll breach our rock solid back four.

And they’ve conceded 63 goals this year, an average of nearly two a game. Reckon we’ll put a couple past them.

0 - 2 Burns and Bonne on target

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Definitely true, but nothing wrong with expecting results, albeit knowing it can bring severe disappointment & frustration, 🤷‍♂️. As long as the fan isn’t a f**king tool and creating a scene like its ruined their life, then its ok to voice, “jeeeeezo, Cheltenham!” …… or “Jaysus H man, Morton @ Easter Road?!”

Dortmund fans must be thinking WTF after their two leg disaster v The Sevco, even though 2-2 is a decent away result @ Ibrox.
But that first leg…… wow……. Mustve been some seriously pi$$ed off Germans. No dead certs, but they’d have expected that team to beat the Sevco in Germany. Guaranteed.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:24 pm

Huns were one score away from reaching the '93 European Cup Final some can always recall. Pity is as much as you can't stand them they have over time assembled a very good squad and on occasion really planted a flag on the continental scene. They won't win it. Good score for them, certain amount of plaudits but feeling nauseous to a point, we move on.

Voted for us to draw tomorrow. May be in the minority however things are seldom as straight forward as they appear. We got a good squad when they all play together granted but it only takes one or two not to put forward a full concentrated effort for the wheels to come off. Any play-off nerves are or shall become prevalent as the remaining games come to pass.

Hope to be incorrect and the team can win obviously. In theory it's three points there for the taking but all ideas and prophecies are subject to change.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:38 pm

Is it safe to say .if we drop points at morecambe and therefore momentum is lost .we can say goodbye to the playoffs..albeit a slim chance

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
I’M not saying it’s a dead cert win lol but so many Town WILL be expecting all 3 points . I’ve gone for a win coz we need it … do I think we’ll get it ? Well no actually, I don’t lol… I reckon we’ll be lucky to get a point …

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:02 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:27 pm
….. I reckon we’ll be lucky to get a point…
:shock: Really? Wow, ….. you joking here?

If that happens, Hallam, that’ll be 1 point from 6 v Deportivo La Cheltenham & Shaktar Morecambe.
Keiron is no gonnae be happy…….. along with a shedload of fans…… including Shed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:05 pm

Marko, I think it’s going to be a really tough game tomorrow. They are desperate for the points … they have a new ( previously successful ? Manager ) who has returned to Morecambe…. I think we will be up against tomorrow. Trust me I WANT us to win , and we NEED to win , but (our) history tells me we are unlikely to win …

If my posting these thoughts we do somehow win , trust me, I’ll be celebrating 🥳 big time tomorrow. I’m out for first time in months tomorrow ( 5pm in the pub for a meal with couple of friends ), so don’t actually know score until but later …. So am praying we win 🤞….

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:43 pm

What do we think the line up will be? My guess would be back 5 picks itself, Morsey and Bakninson in the middle - as Carroll looked very tired in the second half on Tuesday.

Then it’s very tough to call on that front three, I have a feeling it might be Aluko and the Bash brothers up front in order to keep it fresh and also add a more physical aspect.
Then again it wouldn’t surprise me to see Piggott and Jackson start as all the strikers now basically seem to be at the same sort of level (ie not terrible but not exactly ripping it up either).

We certainly need to be wise as suggested ;)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:17 pm

I wonder sometime’s how the players feel when they walk out onto the pitch when it’s a shitty little ground like the one at Morecambe tomorrow. Does it motivate them to play out of their skin to get out of this crap League 1, or does it depress them to a level where it impacts on their performance. I’d love to know the answer even if it isn’t the one I’d like to hear.

Personally I think it would bring home to me that my career isn’t exactly going to plan and maybe make me realise that perhaps I’m not as quite good as I think I am. If that’s the case it must be quite hard to get motivated and therefore no surprise we sometimes struggle to get going.

Maybe this is where our travelling fans can make an impact lifting the players and making them feel valued, and in return the players wanting to put in a performance for the fans. If this is the case let’s hope a decent number of Tractor Boys & Girls make the journey north this weekend.

Again look at the table and we all think easy 3 points. Look again at recent Morecambe results and you’ll see a recent 1-1 draw v high flying Bolton Wanderers. Believe me there aren’t any guaranteed 3 points in this league, however if we can find a goal I think we’ll win 0-1, if we can’t it’s a 0-0 draw. Whatever happens I’m not expecting to see many goals.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:47 am

Their manage has said “ sitting back is not an option” which obviously alludes to the possibility that they may attack us - BRILLIANT if they do that , coz it’ll open up the game and if our defence holds strong then we have a chance … but only if our front line can find their scoring boots …

Come on Town!!!
🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:05 am

shabba wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:43 pm
What do we think the line up will be? My guess would be back 5 picks itself, Morsey and Bakninson in the middle - as Carroll looked very tired in the second half on Tuesday.

Then it’s very tough to call on that front three, I have a feeling it might be Aluko and the Bash brothers up front in order to keep it fresh and also add a more physical aspect.
Then again it wouldn’t surprise me to see Piggott and Jackson start as all the strikers now basically seem to be at the same sort of level (ie not terrible but not exactly ripping it up either).

We certainly need to be wise as suggested ;)

I’m not sure he’ll stick with Thompson, we may well see KVY start depending on the game plan although the defence will be weaker if he does. In my opinion Thompson makes our defence more solid whereas KVY is much better going forward.

Morsey is a banker as is Burns although his game is less consistent than it was earlier in the season. That leaves any 4 from 8. If Evans is unfit as appears to be the case I’d go with Celina, Aluko and Chaplin plus 1 and herein lies our current problem. We have so many options but none are automatic choices. On early season form Macauley Bonne would walk it, but now it’s any one or even two of himself, Piggott, Jackson and Norwood. For sure McKenna will have a game plan and should know who will be the best fit, we just have to hope he gets it right and brings home 3 points.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:32 am

Not liking Thompson at Left back… he simply doesn’t get forward on the overlap… defensively he’s “ ok” but so is Penny or KVY. It’s what ever McK wants to focus on today, defence or attack. I know that’s a bit simplistic , but it’s which player offers the best of both attributes…so I’d probably go with KVY.

Midfield, I suspect Carroll is a big “ leggy” …he seemed to struggle latter part of Cheltenham game . Could play him for 3/4 of game then sub him…..

Bakinson? For me he gives the ball away too much. I’ll be honest I’m not really sold on him so far.

El Mizouni is more like Morsy , again it’s that balance between holding midfield and being able to push forwards.

Maybe Mizouni as holding allowing Morsy to push forwards might be a good combo ?

Attack.
I’d probably go with Norwood, Jackson and Aluko but none of our strikers are covering themselves in glory regarding sticking the ball in the net. And I’m think we’ll need 2 goals to win this game.

Exciting eh ! Lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:57 am

I would go with....

Walton

Donacien Woolfy Edmundson

Burns Morsy Bakinson Thompson

Aluko Chaplin

Norwood

Just for today I believe Norwood would be the answer for the type of game expected.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:43 am

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:17 pm
I wonder sometime’s how the players feel when they walk out onto the pitch when it’s a shitty little ground like the one at Morecambe tomorrow. Does it motivate them to play out of their skin to get out of this crap League 1, or does it depress them to a level where it impacts on their performance. I’d love to know the answer even if it isn’t the one I’d like to hear.
I remember playing on a pitch on a hill years ago. If you stood on the goal line, you couldn't see the other goal because of the curve! :lol: