This’ll please Ash ….

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

This’ll please Ash ….

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:38 am

North Stander: Goals are the issue, so let's see Simpson and Pigott

Journalist and Ipswich Town fan Terry Hunt offers his thoughts on the Blues and their play-off hopes after the 1-1 draw at Morecambe...

Trust the process. It’s Kieran McKenna’s mantra, and is precisely what we Ipswich supporters need to do. Be patient, in other words.

It will not be a constant upward curve. There will be bumps in the road and frustrations. Just like the last two results, and performances, when we have failed to beat two very poor sides, despite utterly dominating possession.

The much more important aspect is that we see progress, and the difference McKenna has already made is crystal clear. The contrast between this team and Paul Cook’s shambolic outfit is like night and day. And they are the same players!

We are much more organised, solid, and tough to beat. Players know their jobs, understand their roles in the team, and eight of them are pretty much guaranteed to start every game.

The obvious problem lies with the misfiring strikers. None of them can hit a barn door from six paces at the moment. Macauley Bonne is the saddest example. Contrast the rampaging, confident striker of early season with the frustrated figure we’re watching

If nothing improves for him between now and the end of the season, I suspect he will be heading back to QPR. What a shame. It looked like a footballing fairytale at one point.

Well, if McKenna thinks the lad isn’t up to the task, fair enough, but I wouldn’t understand if his absence is down to the contract issue. We desperately need goals at the moment, and surely he can’t do any worse than our other strikers!

The big debate is whether McKenna is right in juggling his front three every game, trying to find the right combination, or whether he should stick to a plan in the hope that the goals will come eventually.

Joe Pigott is the classic example here. The lad desperately needs a goal. When he gets a rare start, he looks like a decent target man, and hold-up player, but he’s clearly very short of confidence, especially in front of goal.

And yet, as we all know, he scored 20 goals for a pretty poor Wimbledon team last season. Maybe it’s one of those cases of it just not working out for a particular player at a particular club. Perhaps he’ll move on and score loads of goals for someone else.

I suspect McKenna is already thinking that a couple of new strikers will be top of his shopping list during the summer.

Talking of the summer, which division will we be preparing for? After the draw at Morecambe, there were plenty of Town fans who had given up on this season, saying the play-offs are too far away now.

I’m not quite in that camp yet. I agree it looks really, really tough, given we have some difficult games, and especially at a time when our goals have virtually dried up.

But surely we can’t throw in the towel while we’re only five points away with 11 games to go, can we? While there’s life, there’s hope, surely?

If, and when, the play-off dream does ultimately die, then we all know where to point the finger. Just look at that dreadful start we made under Paul Cook. We’ve been playing catch-up ever since.

It means that the margin for error is so tiny, and becoming tinier all the time. Under different circumstances, a point at Morecambe would have been fine. As it stands, it’s not good enough, and we lose ground.

When Paul Cook was sacked, I was one of those who didn’t agree with the decision. I felt he should have been given more time, and I didn’t want our club to be one of those which changes managers as often as some people change their socks.

But I’m very pleased to admit that I was wrong, and Mark Ashton and the club owners were spot-on. Our young, modern, analytical manager is extraordinarily impressive.

If Kieran McKenna makes a success of the job here - as I’m sure he will - then I believe he will go a long, long way in the game.

We gave two of the greatest managers their chance. Will we make it a hat-trick? There’s a long way to go, and a lot of work to do, but it’s not beyond the realms of possibility.

Tangfastic

Re: This’ll please Ash ….

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:17 pm

Ash’s campaign gathers momentum. Simpson scores twice for the 23’s.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... p-of-table

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:26 pm

Yes I saw that Tang….tbh what have we got to lose by trying him? 🤷‍♀️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:32 pm

Nothing to lose, Hallam and plenty to gain for the forum........, after a few Simpson goals, we will have gloating "was I right, or was I right?" Ash posts!! :lol:
Always entertaining! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:07 pm

I wouldn't play him until he commits to ITFC

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:26 pm

Get on that plane you!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:07 pm
I wouldn't play him until he commits to ITFC
This.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:24 pm

Here’s a thought though. What if Simpson actually played , and scored the goals that pushed into those play offs and eventual promotion. He’s in the shop window , so would “ put it about” and be on it…. He potentially gets his move (but if we ended up in the championship he might want to stay. What do we lose by trying him out for a few games or part of games? The current strikers can’t hit a barn door from 1 foot it seems … Simpson is at least scoring goals.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:02 pm

This is a fantastic post.

My comment would just be that KMC will see the players in training and know which strikers seem more likely to perform. He will also use different ones for different game plans - it’s just a shame none are scoring.

Simpson is no doubt in his thoughts but he will be able to judge how he performs in training and if he thinks that would translate to matches at this level.

One more comment re Piggot - yes he got 20 goals but weren’t alot of them penalties? I’m not sure he is as prolific as some might think. However I agree he could work well in the right system.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:30 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:02 pm
This is a fantastic post.

My comment would just be that KMC will see the players in training and know which strikers seem more likely to perform. He will also use different ones for different game plans - it’s just a shame none are scoring.

Simpson is no doubt in his thoughts but he will be able to judge how he performs in training and if he thinks that would translate to matches at this level.

One more comment re Piggot - yes he got 20 goals but weren’t alot of them penalties? I’m not sure he is as prolific as some might think. However I agree he could work well in the right system.
Yes, It’s up to McKenna to look at how he performs in training. As for not playing him because he didn’t sign the offered contract, that’s too far. How much further do you want to punish him? If we played hard ball with him by bringing him back early, we should, at least, offer him something to aim for. Doubt McKenna would worry about the contractual side of things. He coaches and picks the players and shouldn’t get involved in contracts. And, hopefully, Ashton stays out of McKenna’s side of the business. It’s all about his attitude and if McKenna feels he could make a difference. I don’t hear any noises that he’s sulking or being a pain in the arse - why punish him and make him dislike the club?

On the other hand, if McKenna does pick him - he’s going to have a lot of pressure and expectation on his shoulders to be the messiah. Are we bigging him up too much because we’re a bit desperate?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:59 pm

Yes, and this is why we are all football fans with differing views.
I too believe, whether Hibs or Ipswich, not playing a player until they commit is BS, in my opinion. If played, and if outstanding, then its a double plus…… good for getting results, and good for getting dough if he wants away, (for whatever reason, maybe cant settle 🤷‍♂️)

In Ipswichs case where no one can score in a bag o’ fannies, he should be at least be given a go. Who knows.., 🤷‍♂️, he might actually be sh*te and it’ll be a travesty if he commits.
Like i personally keep saying, they’ve ALL got those youtube reels. Means nothing really.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:33 am

:D :D At last, you are starting to see the light it only needs K Mc to fooking wake-up and smell the coffee, as you and I have said we have nothing to lose and everything to gain by playing him upfront with either Jackson or Chaplin or even Idris, but not Bonne or Norwood

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:23 pm

Apparently Simpson has picked up an injury.........out for 1/2 weeks. Damn it. I was hoping he might get some minutes in Saturday's game..

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:27 pm

I’m honestly not sure if I believe it tbh… there was growing pressure for him to be involved ….. and now he’s “ slightly injured”…. Really ?? :lol:

Oh well ….,

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:16 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:27 pm
I’m honestly not sure if I believe it tbh… there was growing pressure for him to be involved ….. and now he’s “ slightly injured”…. Really ?? :lol:

Oh well ….,
What are you suggesting? The grubby hands of Ashton meddling into McKenna’s business? :)

Not really sure McKenna is under any kind of pressure to play anyone. McKenna is pretty much universally liked and no-one is blaming him for being outside the play-offs.

If McKenna is lying to us because he feels under pressure to play Simpson then we’ve got the wrong manager. He’d go to pieces when he eventually gets some real pressure.

If Simpson is as good as some make out, McKenna will play him. Promotion is top priority and whether Simpson signs or not is way down the priority list.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:59 pm

Ha ha nooooo….but seems very odd that he’s suddenly got a “ slight injury”, just when there’s such a clamour for him to be
included in the squad…that’s took the sting out outta that little story hasn’t it lol !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:01 pm

Only a clamour with fools on here 🤣🤣🤣

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:44 pm

Shouldn’t you be on that beach !!! :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:44 pm
Shouldn’t you be on that beach !!! :wink:
With a bit of luck, he’s on his 5th Mojito and couldn’t give a rats a$$ who’s up front tomorrow! 👍 :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:22 pm

Exactly that Marko lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:47 pm

So Tyreece Simpson is really taking himself to the heights he dreamed of and thought he was good enough for, a season long loan to Northampton Town, egotistical pr*ck.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:47 pm
So Tyreece Simpson is really taking himself to the heights he dreamed of and thought he was good enough for, a season long loan to Northampton Town, egotistical pr*ck.
I've heard Partick Thistle fans called a lot worse.

Oh you mean Tyreece......

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:47 pm
He’ll be one of life’s journeymen Mike. With his agent the true winner in the player’s career!